Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Konica-Minolta Out of Camera & Photo Busines: Transfer assets to Sony (preview P.1)

Old 01-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Konica-Minolta Out of Camera & Photo Busines: Transfer assets to Sony (preview P.1)

http://konicaminolta.com/releases/2006/0119_03_01.html

Sad to hear another company finding it too hard to compete with the giants. Interesting to hear that there will likely be a Sony SLR soon.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:42 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I was wondering what had happened to Minolta. Hadn't heard much of them lately.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:11 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,970 Likes on 2,646 Posts
Wow...When I had heard Sony was making an SLR with Minolta...I didn't realize it was because they were being absorbed.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,631 Likes on 5,389 Posts
never did like Minolta...
Old 01-19-2006, 02:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I've also heard that Samsung and Panasonic will be jumping into the DSLR biz in 06.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:25 PM
The Third Ball

I can believe Pansonic will.

Look at it this way....Its all digital now...and you have two big digital video companies Sony and Panasonic....Now they want to play with the big boys in the digital still realm.

It will be interesting for sure, and will create a whole new generation of loyalists.

But for now. Nikon and Canon have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4627002.stm

Konica Minolta quits photo market

Konica Minolta is focusing its business elsewhere

Japanese photographic equipment maker Konica Minolta has announced plans to withdraw from the camera business.
Konica Minolta said the market had become too competitive, and added it would sell its digital camera business to Japanese electronics giant Sony.

Konica Minolta is planning to cut 3,700 jobs, or 11% of its workforce, by 2007 as part of a restructuring drive.

Earlier in January, fellow Japanese cameramaker Nikon said it would stop making most of its film camera line.

Instead, Nikon intends to focus most of its effort on digital cameras.

Digital era

Konica Minolta, which was formed from the merger of the two companies in 2003, warned in November that it was on course to post a full-year net loss of 47bn yen ($408m; £232.5m).

Its decision to ditch the camera business altogether includes the cessation of its colour film and photo paper business, in which it has trailed Eastman Kodak of the US and Japan's Fuji Photo Film.

Instead, it plans to focus on products such as colour office photocopiers and medical imaging equipment.

"In today's era of digital cameras...it became difficult to timely provide competitive products even with our top optical, mechanical and electronics technologies," Konica Minolta said.

"For colour film and colour paper, while considering our customer needs, we will step-by-step reduce product line-up and cease our film production and colour paper by the end of fiscal year ending 31 March, 2007."

The global photographic market has been undergoing a major upheaval recently, with many key players withdrawing from traditional areas of the industry.

As well as Nikon's decision, Eastman Kodak has said for some time that digital is to be its priority in the future.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:29 PM
Team Owner

^^^^^^
Konica Minolta said the market had become too competitive, and added it would sell its digital camera business to Japanese electronics giant Sony.
I'm not a big fan of Sony's Camera line. There mini dv cams I think are really good. But for photography

Perhaps this will give them a boost?

As for me I'm sticking with Pentax for now. Until I get into DSLR's then it's Nikon or Canon for me baby!
Old 01-19-2006, 02:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc

But for now. Nikon and Canon have nothing to worry about.

Except a guarantee that their market share in DSLR's will shrink. Right now their the only two players. Having to compete with another 2 or 3 companies can't be good for anyone but the consumer.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
Except a guarantee that their market share in DSLR's will shrink. Right now their the only two players. Having to compete with another 2 or 3 companies can't be good for anyone but the consumer.
I wonder how many people actually own a DSLR though? For one thing, Nikon and Canon have been paving the way in DSLR's. For another company to step in and actually contest Nikon and Canon's Market hold I think would be very hard and would only happen after professionals have gained confidence in the new companies product.

Most professionals don't sway from the companies they trust. If anything, Nikon and Canon have to worry about companies coming up with cheap knock off SLR's that they can market to the average joe shmoe photographer and make the claim that their camera will make them a professional overnight
Old 01-19-2006, 02:48 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by slyraskal
If anything, Nikon and Canon have to worry about companies coming up with cheap knock off SLR's that they can market to the average joe shmoe photographer and make the claim that their camera will make them a professional overnight
Thats exactly whats happening. Your not going to get the Sarlacc's and Dan Martin's of the world to just jump ship but there are soooo many people (including myself) that don't have a DSLR that will likely jump to company that can give them one at the lowest price.

Currently, I think its the Canon Digital Rebel XT at $800US. As prices come down everyone and their sister will want one of these things. I'm not suggesting its bad in any way (well it is for me ) It will force Canon and Nikon to develop better and cheaper cameras just so they can stay at the top of the game.

But there's no way IMO that their pleased.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
Thats exactly whats happening. Your not going to get the Sarlacc's and Dan Martin's of the world to just jump ship but there are soooo many people (including myself) that don't have a DSLR that will likely jump to company that can give them one at the lowest price.

Currently, I think its the Canon Digital Rebel XT at $800US. As prices come down everyone and their sister will want one of these things. I'm not suggesting its bad in any way (well it is for me ) It will force Canon and Nikon to develop better and cheaper cameras just so they can stay at the top of the game.

"You get what you pay for" and I can't wait to hear when the newbies buy the cheaper knockoffs and either complain they can't get the lighting right, or the pictures they are taking are blurry and blaming the camera for the problem. When it's the camera and the photographer who's using it.

I want to invest in a decent DSLR hopefully in the next year or so. But I sure as hell am not going to go with a cheap knock off just cuz it's cheap. Quality should always come before price IMHO.

Items that are pricey like this and require a lot of experience to use I feel you should be able to grow into. As your experience increases, Your able to do more with the camera. I don't see that happening IF companies make the cheaper knock offs.

But what do I know, I'm still a when it comes to photography myself. But I know when the time comes, I'm gonna have to dish out some $$ to get something that I can use for a long time.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I can't tell you how many complaints we get from Rebel, Rebel XT and to an extent 20D owners about the quality of their pics.

99.9% can be traced back to the user.

We have people shooting weddings using a Rebel for christ sake. So I can only imagine what will happen when the $500 SLR hits the market.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dom
99.9% can be traced back to the user.

We have people shooting weddings using a Rebel for christ sake. So I can only imagine what will happen when the $500 SLR hits the market.
Is it something like when the $4i7 hits the fan????
Old 01-19-2006, 03:45 PM
The Third Ball

Originally Posted by dom

Agreed...and with Sony using Minoltas technology...like an Image stabilized chip...there will be competition abound.

Like I said, it will pave the way for a new generation of loyal followers to new companies.

I'm sure Nikon and Canon aren't happy...but I don't think they are scared either.

The whole quality issue...well that because 90% of human beings are chuckleheads. sad but true.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Photography Nerd

DPreview has a preview of the new Alpha system: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0606/06...nydslra100.asp

Looks like they're taking this intro seriously. It's nice to have a little more competition in the market and I'm positive they'll do well. I bet Sony will be #3 in SLR sales within 2 years.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
First thought before even reading the review:

It's really weird seeing "Sony" branded on the front of a DSLR. That alone will take some getting used to. Will have to check it out once I see it on the shelves.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Photography Nerd

Review of the A100: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA100/AA100A.HTM

Sounds like a good cam, but the sluggish AF and poor high-ISO would be a deal breaker for me. Overall it sounds like a good first effort, but probably not enough to get Nikon and Canon owners to jump ship.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Photography Nerd

DPreview's review of the A100: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/

Looks like they are on the same page as Imaging-Resource.com. It seems like a very solid entry-level camera with features that put it somewhere between a Rebel XT and a 30D or D50 and D70s.

My take:
I was a little disappointed by the low-iso performance. Some people never shoot above ISO400 so they could care less about high-iso performance, but if I shoot at ISO100, I want a completely clean image and this camera doesn't seem to have that. It's not necessarily noisy, but there's definitely more noise than there should be. Shots like the "Reeds at Dusk" shot I posted a month ago demand a noiseless sensor. Any grain in the water detracts from the finished product, so if I was to shoot with the A100, I would need to pass the image through Noise Ninja before print.

It will be interesting to see what Sony will bring out next. I would wait to see what kind of an upgrade path Sony will have before investing in the lineup. Yes, they have lots of glass to choose from, but I would feel uncomfortable with only one body to choose from. I'm assuming they'll be releasing higher-end models down the road, but for now I would just sit back and wait, or choose another brand with a bigger selection.