Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Canon EOS 50D *Official Announcement* + Review: Pg.4

Old 08-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,352 Likes on 5,259 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
I think this is why some (like me) sort of scold video capability now being put on DSLR's. It's an entirely different type of capture, and it should be kept on an entirely different capturing device.

I would rather them not have video, and make better performance on the same camera for what it was intended.

Still photography.

That's just my opinion though.
it just depends on application, preference, and need. Me personally, I was waiting for a DSLR w/ video. I felt it was an inevitability and I'm glad its come so soon. There are tons of SLRs now, you pick the one which suits your criteria. This camera is forward thinking. Without forward thinking, things become stagnant and don't change. People get lazy and satisfied with what they have, when there could be something 'better' out there. Nikon has shown its intention to raise the bar on many fronts and that is what they are doing - and I applaud them for that. Its kind of like what Nissan did with the GT-R - they fawking rewrote all the books and now all the other carmakers who were sitting stagnant and content with the level they had come to - suddenly now all these people are like holy sheit, we need to get moving, we need to improve our sheit. Its healthy for technology and business. And ultimately, it benefits us as customers, across the board.

Now, if the video quality from the D90 was shoddy, I would not be embracing it. But did you see the sample footage? Pretty nice. I'm not too concerned about the no AF thing.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
^

The only thing I'd be skeptical about is the fact that better implementation of video in an SLR is surely to come in the D100, D400, 60D, XRi or whatever etc. Just like we've seem better implementation of LiveView with new cameras.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:46 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
it just depends on application, preference, and need. Me personally, I was waiting for a DSLR w/ video. I felt it was an inevitability and I'm glad its come so soon. There are tons of SLRs now, you pick the one which suits your criteria. This camera is forward thinking. Without forward thinking, things become stagnant and don't change. People get lazy and satisfied with what they have, when there could be something 'better' out there. Nikon has shown its intention to raise the bar on many fronts and that is what they are doing - and I applaud them for that. Its kind of like what Nissan did with the GT-R - they fawking rewrote all the books and now all the other carmakers who were sitting stagnant and content with the level they had come to - suddenly now all these people are like holy sheit, we need to get moving, we need to improve our sheit. Its healthy for technology and business. And ultimately, it benefits us as customers, across the board.

Now, if the video quality from the D90 was shoddy, I would not be embracing it. But did you see the sample footage? Pretty nice. I'm not too concerned about the no AF thing.

I think going forward is great, but taking a still camera and turning it into a video camera is not going forward for the IQ of stills. I've not seen the video, got the link?

Your GT-R comparo my doesn't. It's car a sports car and just like every other sports out there. They drive tight and fast, they didn't reinvent the sports car with the GT-R, they made it the best SPORTS CAR out there. That's what I want with a Dslr make it the best of what it always has been.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ the link is in the D90 thread. I'm with srika on this. DSLR + VIDEO is a big plus for non-professionals like myself. I want to take better pictures and better control of my camera, but at the same time, I miss the video capability of P&S time to time.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:02 PM
nnInn

I just found this link

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/200...ing-nikon.html

It has a goody goody feel to it.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:08 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by yohan81718
^ the link is in the D90 thread. I'm with srika on this. DSLR + VIDEO is a big plus for non-professionals like myself. I want to take better pictures and better control of my camera, but at the same time, I miss the video capability of P&S time to time.
I understand, but still cameras still have so much more to go. Adding video makes it take a back seat pro or not.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
50D does not have any pixel binning capabilities, it will probably be on the the 5D replacement.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I think going forward is great, but taking a still camera and turning it into a video camera is not going forward for the IQ of stills. I've not seen the video, got the link?

Your GT-R comparo my doesn't. It's car a sports car and just like every other sports out there. They drive tight and fast, they didn't reinvent the sports car with the GT-R, they made it the best SPORTS CAR out there. That's what I want with a Dslr make it the best of what it always has been.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mizouse
50D does not have any pixel binning capabilities, it will probably be on the the 5D replacement.
It actually might, it just depends on the technique they use for resizing the RAW files. We'll have to wait and see what they look like...
Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM

50D sounds nice, but i want to see what is in store for the 5D replacement!

cant wait for photokina!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
It actually might, it just depends on the technique they use for resizing the RAW files. We'll have to wait and see what they look like...
well in the rumors about the next 5D, pixel binning is brought up, and it was mentioned that it wasnt implemented into the 50D.

we shall see thou.

imo, they should have (or if it is, announced that it is a feature) that sounds like a big step forward in photography and would've made the 50D that much better.

Last edited by Mizouse; 08-27-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
I'm taking a wait and see approach to this.

However, my experience with LiveView on the 40d makes me unenthusiastic about video on a DSLR. Video mode is basically a long term, recorded liveview.

My thoughts:

1) Liveview chews up batteries. One of the big joys of using an SLR is that a battery lasts forever.
2) Liveview seems to heat up the sensor/camera if you use it. Or at least my camera gets warm with long usages of Liveview. Hotter sensors are noisier sensors.
3) When you shoot with the optical viewfinder, you hold the camera near your head, and support with your arm underneath. So the weight isn't a big deal. With liveview, though, how do you hold the camera? at half arm's length? That's not going to be fun.

I thought that one of the motivations for not adding the circuitry for video was that it takes up real estate that is better used for adding to your light absorbing area? Or was that some cheesy sales excuse? But I suppose technology always moves on......

I probably wouldn't mind it so much if they'd just quit adding more and more MP.

- Frank
Old 08-27-2008, 05:19 PM

funny thing about that chase jarvis blog video, its mentioned that during D-movie that the camera was getting hot.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Have camera, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srika

I appreciate that this feature is something you and others would use and embrace, but I think it's erroneous to imply that not including something like a video feature in a still camera means things might be getting stagnant. Digital imaging has advanced by leaps and bounds the last ten years, and it's not really slowing down. Advances are more incremental now, sure, but that's to be expected given how good digital cameras are at this point. There's been nothing stagnant about it.

I guess I'm a being a purist about this, but it's something I don't think I'd ever want in an SLR camera. If I really want video capability, I'll by a dedicated video camera, which is going to be a better tool for the job anyway. I honestly think it's a sales gimmick, a la the ongoing pixel wars.

Just my
Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by waTSX
I appreciate that this feature is something you and others would use and embrace, but I think it's erroneous to imply that not including something like a video feature in a still camera means things might be getting stagnant. Digital imaging has advanced by leaps and bounds the last ten years, and it's not really slowing down. Advances are more incremental now, sure, but that's to be expected given how good digital cameras are at this point. There's been nothing stagnant about it.

I guess I'm a being a purist about this, but it's something I don't think I'd ever want in an SLR camera. If I really want video capability, I'll by a dedicated video camera, which is going to be a better tool for the job anyway. I honestly think it's a sales gimmick, a la the ongoing pixel wars.

Just my
totally agree with that. but I still think this is the way most of dslr are going to catch on..
Old 08-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Senior Moderator

^^ I would not expect a pro SLR to ever have a "video mode".. and I would not feel they were "stagnant" because of it..
Old 08-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Photography Nerd

A few more technical details emerge:

Originally Posted by Northlight Images
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/c...5d2_3d_7d.html

"The 50D sensor and image processing are a major step forward in what has been a multi-year strategy for Canon to take sensor technology to the limits of physics, simultaneously achieving higher ISOs, lower noise and higher dynamic range. Note Chuck Westall’s announcement that the 50D sensor has 1 to 1 and a half stops better noise than the 40D sensor despite the smaller pixels. Several core strategies have been pursued simultaneously for this:

Reducing the micro lens gap to capture all the light hitting the sensor. This has been highlighted in the 40D, 1D III and 1Ds III sensors and the new 50D sensor now achieves effective 100% coverage. Only very minor improvements are expected from this point on (e.g. shaping the lenses towards the corners of the frame to capture angled light.
Reducing the noise level of each pixel. Canon have made changes over several generations of sensors to achieve this, bringing the amplifiers closer to each pixel, changing micro-circuit configuration and lowering voltages so the sensor runs colder. Again the design of the 50D is a big step forward here from the 40D and 1D III etc. Canon have one more big jump lined up, with low voltage cold running CMOS designs to gain at least an additional stop in lower noise at higher ISOs or long exposures.
Better digital noise reduction. These are the changes in DIGIC noise processing. First with the Chroma Noise reduction in DIGIC III and now with more advanced multi-level noise reduction options in DIGIC IV. Canon believe they have made most of the gains possible via processing algorithms but do still have some areas to develop. The next focus will be faster noise reduction processing so that it does not come at an impact on frame burst rates (look to the 1D3 replacement for example)
Pixel binning for high ISOs. A new technology enabled by the complexity and processing power of DIGIC IV where they can bin 2, 4 or 8 pixels together at the raw level and average out the noise between them. This is seen by Canon as a key technology in balancing very high resolution sensors (in the 50mp range) with low noise at very high ISOs. Right now they are not pushing this too much with the 50D so as to not create confusion in the market (they see more potential for the technology as sensors get larger and in the pro-market).
Increased image resolution – This is a newer strategy (most evident on the 450D where they have changed the anti-aliasing filter (thinner and closer etc) so as to achieve a crisper image per pixel without loosing the benefits of anti-aliasing filter on diagonal edges etc.. The 50D has the same technology. One further option for the future is for Canon to drop the anti aliasing physical filter and do it in a future DIGIC generation where there can be smarter allocation of colour values than the blurring achieved by a light based filter.
Increased raw bit depth for improved dynamic range. Here Canon have made the jump to 14 bit and will move to 16 bit in their future sensor technology generations. Canon see the main usage of extra bit depth as providing the dynamic range to translate the sensor image into a printable or viewable image with a higher dynamic range. In other words mapping the 14 or 16 bits into an 8 bit viewable or printable image that mimics the dynamic range in the scene.
Dynamic range preservation options – Canon are putting a lot of focus into how to provide the photographer with the best options for preserving the dynamic range of the original image in both a RAW file and the 8 bit JPEG. The highlight tone preservation option on the 40D, 1D III etc was the first step. The new 'automatic brightness' options in the 50D are another, where they try and optimise the brightness of various parts of the image to reduce the dullness from shadows. Canon are planning much more in this area, down to the equivalent of varying the ISO level across the different parts of the sensor when the image is taken (easier in live view mode of course).
So what does this mean?

The 50D DIGIC IV sensor and image processing technology is felt to be Canon’s biggest jump in many years.

The same technology will allow a 21-25mp FF sensor to have 1 to 1.5 stops better noise performance than the 3 year old 12mp sensor in the 5D.

Canon are not going to watch market share be lost in the 1D range to Nikon and are actively planning to incorporate this technology in the 1 series as well, sooner than many might expect.

Canon have hit the limits on light gathering but believe there is a good 1 to 1.5 stops lower noise still to be achieved at the physical electrical level before they reach the limits of physics (background noise due to heat etc) and are working on the circuit design for this (native 12800 being one goal)

The other technologies in the image processing, pixel binning, dynamic range preservation space are seen as all offering room for significant further improvement in the image delivered to the photographer. Canon have a vision where the imagine processing is so good that it is capable of transparently capturing the dynamic range of a scene and converting it into a JPEG in a way that for most consumers cuts out blown highlights and detail lost in shadow without further processing."

Once again thanks to the sources that contributed the info. Expect a Digic IV powered 500D in the spring, although I'd also rate the chances of the mythical 3D appearing as higher than they've been for some time ;-)
Old 08-28-2008, 02:10 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ Very interesting read.

One quote that stood out:
The same technology will allow a 21-25mp FF sensor to have 1 to 1.5 stops better noise performance than the 3 year old 12mp sensor in the 5D.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
nnInn

That would be great, but what scares me are rumors that the 5D replacement will have two Digic III chips and not IV's whether one or two. But it's all rumors and will have to wait and see.

I'm already wishing for it to be 2010 to see what the next changes could be. And the 50D or 5D II isn't even off intro paperwork.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Have camera, will travel

Good find, Dan. I found the part about the anti aliasing filters really interesting. And this sentence:

The 50D DIGIC IV sensor and image processing technology is felt to be Canon’s biggest jump in many years.

Is pretty exciting.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

That all sounds fine and dandy but 95% of people are more excited about video in an SLR.

It will be interesting to see if anyone copies any of that sensor technology moving forward.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:43 PM
nnInn

Those are gear heads not photographers.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by dom
That all sounds fine and dandy but 95% of people are more excited about video in an SLR.

It will be interesting to see if anyone copies any of that sensor technology moving forward.
The video with be helpful for mass comsumer level sales - which will benefit the higher levels, but this sensor/processing tech is way cooler.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by moeronn
The video with be helpful for mass comsumer level sales - which will benefit the higher levels, but this sensor/processing tech is way cooler.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Those are gear heads not photographers.
I know. Just making the point make that Video is getting all the press and being touted as the next big innovation in SLR's.

When this new sensor technology MAY be teh much bigger and far more important innovation, possibly. But people won't know it or care.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Photography Nerd

By the sounds of things, Canon's position in the market will be to offer the best image quality possible in each segment, but they're not going to compete head-to-head on features. They spent their R&D money on IQ, not the fancy bells & whistles offered by Nikon and Sony. Those features will come, but it's going to take some time.

In the mean time, the fanboys are driving me nuts on all my regular photo forums.
Seriously, I need to find a good "results-oriented" forum rather than the soap opera that most sites are like these days. I'm open to suggestions....
Old 08-28-2008, 07:53 PM
nnInn

You're not going to find any, all of they buttheads that make dpreview crap are in FM and POTN.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Photography Nerd

Even the Luminous Landscape forums seem to be infected lately...
Old 08-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Photography Nerd

So here are my latest thoughts on the "new camera for Dan" subject...

I really expected that my next camera would be full frame, but everything I've seen so far with the 50D has impressed the hell out of me. I'm sure the 5D replacement will be even crazier, but it might even be more than I need. Hell, I would have been happy with a current 5D today, but now this thing has higher resolution and even better ISO performance.

I'm leaning towards a 50D + Epson 3800 or 4880 instead of upgrading to the 5D replacement. I do all my printing at Pikto because it's one of the few labs that will give you direct control over the output to their printers, but nothing beats having the printer in your house. 15MP will look great on a 17" wide printer.

We'll see how I lean after Photokina.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:03 PM
nnInn

Ah, get the 5D II and use Pikto for another year.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Have camera, will travel

By the sounds of things, Canon's position in the market will be to offer the best image quality possible in each segment, but they're not going to compete head-to-head on features. They spent their R&D money on IQ, not the fancy bells & whistles offered by Nikon and Sony. Those features will come, but it's going to take some time.

In the mean time, the fanboys are driving me nuts on all my regular photo forums.
Seriously, I need to find a good "results-oriented" forum rather than the soap opera that most sites are like these days. I'm open to suggestions....
Good, that's how it should be.

And if by chance you're talking about DPR, that place is going berserk right now. People lancing a camera sight unseen is beyond me.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Photography Nerd

Ah, get the 5D II and use Pikto for another year.
:devilgrin

You have to admit that having one of these to print to would be a lot of fun though...
Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
nnInn

I don't have enough room for something that big. I guess I could buy another desk, but I'd rather have lenses and the 5D II.

Though it does look sweet, Epson should have the upgrade for it soon. They just replaced the 2400 with the 2880.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Photography Nerd

Well, I just caved in and ordered a 50D!

September 19th is the expected delivery date.

Now about that printer....
Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Moderator

congrats!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 PM

Nice. We expect a full review by about 9:00 PM the same day.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Photography Nerd

I'm probably going to be out shooting that day, but I'll bring an EVDO card if I do so I can post from the field.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:38 PM
nnInn

If it wasn't for wanting to see if a 5D replacement is coming. I you have joined you, I really want to see what it does.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Moderator

dunno if you all noticed but the 50D announcement was actually the rumoured "5D2" announcement..
Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 PM
nnInn

Most of the rumors have been three new bodies. Again just rumors. The 50D and 5D replacement then another FF body that emulates the EOS 3. Photokina, is weeks away so that a new FF body comes.

Quick Reply: Canon EOS 50D *Official Announcement* + Review: Pg.4