Cameras & Photography Because there aren't already enough ways to share photos...

Best affordable tripod?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Best affordable tripod?

Looking to get a tripod soon. With alot of my cash going to lens' and another things, I want an affordable tripod that will do the job. Prefer something in the $100-$150 range. Weight is NOT an issue as the primary purpose of the tripod will be for shoots. So I won't be walking around and crap with it. With this in mind, what do you recommend?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check this out:

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-725B...1582221&sr=1-2

I love this tripod, its quality and features, and using it, because:

1. The dove tail plate is permanently attached (screwed) to my Canon 40D camera. The camera, with its attached dove tail plate, is easily attached to, and removed from, the tripod's ball head. I am pleased with the ease and swiftness of this attaching and removing process. I was pleasantly surprised to see the pin that prevents me from accidentally opening the latch with my camera on the tripod. Nice feature; nice quality.

2. The ball head rotates in a complete circle when the lever is loosened. The camera can move to any orientation. Changing from horizontal to vertical shots or vice versa is easy. My Canon 40D has "live view", so it is easy to set up the correct orientation for horizontal and vertical shots.

3. The light weight and nice carrying bag make it easy to carry this tripod while walking.

4. The flip-style latch mechanisms on the legs are easy to use, and enable quick extending and collapsing of the legs.

5. Some people like tripods with three sections in each leg. I like this tripod because it has four sections in each leg. This enables the tripod to collapse into a short length, making it easy to carry and transport. This shorter length also enables the camera to be positioned closer to the ground when all leg sections are collapsed.

6. I agree with other reviews stating that this tripod is easy to set up and use.

7. The amazon price is good and the shipping is free.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
This would get my vote: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...gs_Black_.html
Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Too Many Cars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tripods are a personal thing. I have a Manfrotto that I seldom use. It's heavy and awkward, for me (due to my choice of heads on it.)

The one I use the most wouldn't suit most people. I have a Leica table top with a Leica ball head. I can use it as a chest pod (you would have to see it.) It's tiny. Probably looks like a gun and silencer in the airport x-rays. Assure you it's not!

I would be really tempted if I found a used Linhof tripod in good condition, or a Leitz Tiltall. (Used a Star D for years--a copy of a Tiltall.)

Benbo is another good make. Interesting--it looks upside down. Largest leg element is on the bottom. You can dip the legs in water and they don't get crudded up. (like in a stream or lake.)

My 2Cents worth....

Regards,
DaveL
Old 09-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Too Many Cars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Thanks for the link to your gallery. Good work! Enjoyed looking there.

ZR1 was great. Have you checked out the Cdn section on the corvette forum? There's a GTG almost every week Saturday morning behind Sherway Chapters. Vettes; Porshes; Vipers; many others. Sometime photos on that forum; others on the Rennlist Forum Cdn section...

Regards,
DaveL
just sold our C6...