Volkswagen: Golf News

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,798 Likes on 13,981 Posts
I need a zoom-in on those chicks sitting near the Golf...stat.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Wow, this car looks great! Interior and out except for those first set of wheels. And the five door hatch looks equally impressive.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
why is the mk5 ending production so early? and please keep the wide mouth grill
Old 09-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblewar
I think changing the grille was a good idea, even though the old AND the new design look good IMO. Too many times on the freeway i've mistaken a VW for an Audi and vice versa. In fact it happened yesterday. I thought a White B7 A4 was coming up behind me, but when it got close it was a GTI Hatch.

We keep saying that Acura and Honda need to separate themselves more, but Audi and VW need to do it just as much IMO.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblewar
It's been around since 2003 in Europe....time to update.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:12 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn i really want to see what this new GTI looks like already!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting news on the 211/258 lbft version of the 2.0T if it's really true.

The new 2.0T(ccta) that is now the production motor(still rated at 200hp/207hp) actually puts out less horsepower and torque than the original BPY(2006-2008) when chippled.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First Drive: 2009 Volkswagen Golf

The Golf Turns 35, Matures at Last
By Andreas Stahl, Contributor
Date posted: 09-10-2008

The new sixth-generation 2009 Volkswagen Golf has been designed to meet much higher standards of quality than any of its predecessors, so it's appropriate that it will get its first public display at the 2008 Paris Auto Show. Given the wholesale shift in buyer preferences across Europe toward premium brands, it is hardly a surprise to find Volkswagen making every effort to ensure the Golf is perceived as a cut above the hatchback competition.

No car manages to attract a wider cross-section of buyers than Volkswagen's best seller (whether as the Golf in Europe or the Rabbit in the U.S.), and by providing it with a dash of upmarket cachet, the appeal is only likely to grow. After testing the new Golf in Iceland, there's every reason to expect it to succeed — especially if you take into account the downsizing trend brought about by rising fuel prices in most major markets of late.

Maybe the 2009 Volkswagen Golf will even finally revive VW's fortunes in the U.S.

Less Complication, More Quality
Development of the sixth-generation Golf kicked off in 2005 under former Volkswagen brand boss Wolfgang Bernhard. His aim was to simplify production and make the new Golf more profitable than the outgoing fifth-generation model, whose complex construction might have endowed it with class-leading levels of quality but saw it lag behind its hatchback rivals (Ford Focus and Opel Astra) in terms of corporate profit margins. This sixth-gen model features an entirely different assembly process that improves efficiency by 20 percent.

Walter de'Silva has given the Golf a far less extravagant appearance as well. "From early on we decided on a clean, simple and recognizable design," he says. See it in the metal for the first time and you can't help but notice obvious hints of the Giugiaro-designed first-generation Golf of 1974 in the simple horizontal grille, and there is more than a dash of the fourth-generation model at the rear. Unusually for a modern-day hatchback, there is no dramatic swage line detailing along the flanks. Instead, it is all very restrained, with taut and unadorned surfaces.

A Better Place To Drive
Dimensionally, there's not much separating new from old. At 165.3 inches in length and 70 inches in width, the 2009 Volkswagen Golf is 0.2 inch longer and 0.8 inch wider, while height remains the same at 58.2 inches.

As tradition dictates, customers will be able to choose between three- and five-door versions of the Golf from the start of European sales in October. They will be followed by a more dramatically styled Golf GTI, and there will be updated versions of the high-roof Golf Plus and Golf wagon as well as a return of the Golf Cabriolet with a traditional cloth top — all planned for launch in 2009. The updated appearance is also set to find its way onto the Jetta, although don't expect it to appear until 2010.

It is inside where the Golf scores most of its points. As with the exterior, there are no real surprises, but while the design is predictably conservative with echoes of the fourth-generation model, it is well laid out, with conveniently placed controls that are straightforward to use. The quality of the plastics and switchgear is a class above the hatchback competition, providing an impressively solid and well-damped feel.

An exemplary driving position with generous longitudinal and height adjustment of the seat also contributes to the feeling of well-being, providing excellent all-around vision. There is none of the feeling of sitting over the steering wheel like you get in some modern-day hatchbacks.

The large hatch opens to reveal a generous and evenly shaped cargo bay whose capacity is put at 12.4 cubic feet. Once you stow the split-folding rear seat, cargo capacity expands to 46.1 cubic feet.

Diesel for the U.S.
Volkswagen predicts the majority of North American sales will once again come from its 170-horsepower 2.5-liter inline-5 gasoline engine. But all the cars at the introduction of the new Golf in Iceland came with European specification engines, so our attention for now is turned to a turbocharged 1.4-liter gasoline inline-4, a turbocharged and supercharged 1.4-liter inline-4 and a 2.0-liter diesel inline-4.

The Twincharged (supercharged and turbocharged), direct-injection 1.4-liter gas engine is dependable, although it doesn't have a lot of personality. With 122 hp and 148 pound-feet of torque, it does everything it's asked without distinguishing itself in any great way. When it's matched with VW's new seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, the 1,390cc inline-4 gets the Golf to 60 mph in 9.5 seconds and finally runs out of steam at 120 mph. With turbocharging to further bolster performance, there's no need to even work the 16-valve inline-4 particularly hard.

As impressive as this gasoline engine is, it loses out to the gutsier TDI diesel in everyday driving appeal. The turbocharged 1,968cc unit with common-rail injection and twin balance shafts is not particularly new, as it's been featured in the current Golf for almost a year now. But it's incorporated here as part of Volkswagen's Clean Diesel initiative, which means it's coming to America. With 140 hp, it might not seem to offer much in the way of performance, but it has plenty of punch between 1,750 and 2,500 rpm, where 236 lb-ft of torque is available. Volkswagen claims zero to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 9.3 seconds and a top speed of 122 mph.

New Poise on the Road
Underneath, the new 2009 Volkswagen Golf shares the same basic front-wheel-drive platform as its successful predecessor, including MacPherson strut suspension in the front and multilink suspension in the rear, although much has been altered. On the road, the new car feels very mature, more like a car from the class above than your typical hatchback. As Volkswagen's development boss Ulrich Hackenburg explains, a lot of detailed work has been focused on making it more refined and relaxing to drive. "We conducted a detailed analysis of every potential source of noise. The result is a thoroughly redesigned front bulkhead and new engine mounting points," he says.

Meanwhile the electromechanical steering system is brought over with only detail changes. Aside from the usual change in steering assist as speed increases, it is clever enough to add a touch of countersteering when it senses a sudden change in road camber or when the car is confronted by crosswinds.

The Icelandic roads on which we drove provided spectacular scenery but often presented large potholes. Still, the Golf coped remarkably well. As before, the overall ride quality has been tuned for comfort and not outright sportiness, but adaptive damping is now an option, and it offers three levels of control. In Comfort mode, the Golf soaks up road irregularities with impressive control. Switch to Sport mode and you immediately notice the added tautness. For a combination of the two, the standard mode seems perfectly judged.

All Grown Up at Last
Volkswagen may have played it safe, but the new 2009 Volkswagen Golf has redefined our expectations of the affordable hatchback.

It is beautifully built, possesses the sort of cabin quality that shames many so-called luxury cars, offers up all the very latest safety equipment, has a wide range of frugal gasoline and diesel engines as well as the very latest in gearbox technology, is remarkably quiet and is, above all, enjoyable to drive.

In short, the new Golf is a very complete, grown-up car that looks certain to retain its position at the top of Europe's new car sales charts. In all, more than 26 million Golfs have been sold over the past 34 years — a figure that speaks volumes for its overall popularity. The question is, will it reach the top of the charts in the U.S., as just 41,884 Golfs went onto the street in 2007?
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 09-11-2008, 03:35 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Originally Posted by dom
Much

I wasn't worried about the wheel selection. Ze Germans rarely mess that one up. Just not a fan of those..ummm fans.

Originally Posted by Yumchah
I need a zoom-in on those chicks sitting near the Golf...stat.

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Wow, this car looks great! Interior and out except for those first set of wheels. And the five door hatch looks equally impressive.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:02 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the Golf GT's 1.4 Liter, 170HP engine, would make a lot of sense in the USA currently.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-gen...orsepower.html

09/22/2008, 2:01 PM
Hatchback
Next-generation VW GTI slated for Paris reveal, hotter GTI-R to pack 270 horsepower
Ads by Google
2008 Honda Clearance
Best time to get a new Honda. Hurry, these deals won't last!
www.PriorityHonda.com
The 2009 Toyota Venza
Introducing the 2009 Venza - The Surprising New Toyota
www.Toyota.com/Venza

Volkswagen officially unveiled its sixth-generation Golf/Rabbit earlier this year, followed shortly after by the news that two performance versions – the GTI and GTI-R – would be included in the next-generation Golf range. Although details remained scarce on the performance Golf models at the time of the hatch’s unveiling, we now have a few more pieces of the hot-hatch puzzle.

According to Automotive News, VW is preparing the next-generation GTI for an October debut at the Paris Motor Show. Underhood, the GTI will sport a 210 horspoer version of VW venerable 2.0L turbocharged four. Although not world-beating power, the hot-hatch will be able to scoot from 0-60 in 7.2 seconds and hit a top speed of nearly 150 mph.

European pricing will start at 26,400, translating into a less-than-useful $38,150 U.S. The current MkV GTI had a starting price in the low $20,000 range, so expect something similar when the new car hits U.S. shores.

Fans waiting for the R32-replacing GTI-R will have to wait slightly longer for their hot-hatch fix. Automotive News says the GTI-R is not scheduled to make its public appearance until November 2009 – likely at the Los Angeles Auto Show. However, the long wait should be worth it as the GTI-R is expected to feature a 270 horsepower powerplant, all-wheel drive and plenty of aero bits. No pricing information has been announced for the GTI-R.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

270hp GTI-R
Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
In this economy, it wouldn't be such a great idea, but eventually they need to turbo the VR6 and put it in a Golf.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zeroday
thats kind of a wierd hp/tq ratio
thats how a real motor should be, more tq then hp...
Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ You heart diesel?
Old 09-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Good lookin' car. I like it.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:22 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

I likes what I sees!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 09-24-2008, 10:31 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

The latest VW Golf GTI, which is due to make its debut next week at the Paris motor show, uses the reskinned Golf's wide, shallow upper grille to underpin the front of the hot hatch with a dominant, road-eating lower grille.

"The effect is to visually widen the GTI to make it look much more aggressive and sporty," said exterior design chief Mark Lichte.

The aggressive styling of the new Volkswagen Golf GTI will become the family look for the next generation of GTI-badged Volkswagens.

This combination of design elements will become a consistent feature of all future GTI models, such as the Polo. "I'm not saying there will be a Scirocco GTI," explained Lichte, "but if there is, it would have the same graphic treatment."

The visual emphasis on the base of the front bumper changes the stance of the sixth-generation GTI, claims Lichte. To reinforce this, the foglamps have been repositioned at the extremes of the lower grille. "On the old car the fogs were about 150mm in from the headlamps; now they're outboard," he said.

Volkswagen believes that the Mk5 Golf GTI appeared taller than it was because of the front grille and dumpy, three-piece lower intake. But whether such changes are sufficient to distinguish the Mk6 GTI from the Mk5 remains to be seen.

New alloy wheels would have helped, but VW has decided to continue with the current five-hole alloys, adding a minor tweak. Instead of being finished with grey paint, they've got gloss black inside the holes.

A strong plus point is the Mk6's higher-quality interior. The Golf GTI builds on this with the extensive use of Audi-style illuminated switchgear and backlighting. Other parts such as the seats and steering wheel are carried over, but modified.

The flat-bottomed wheel is retrimmed with a different leather, while the seats get tweaks to the cushioning and trim material.

Other details that VW has worked on include the exhaust pipes. These have moved to the far left and right of the rear bumper moulding. "Large, single exhaust pipes positioned at the edges of the rear bumper will be a GTI feature in future," said Lichte.

A key aim has been to beef up the Golf shape without a body kit or spoilers. "We're really proud of the clean, simple shapes. We don't want unnecessary add-ons that increase weight."

When it goes on sale next spring, the new GTI will be powered by a version of the EA888 2.0-litre turbo engine used in the Edition 30 version of the Mk5 GTI, with 207bhp and 206lb ft of torque. In its latest guise the GTI covers the 0-62mph dash in 7.2sec and goes on to 149mph.

The Mk6 GTI will also benefit from DCC adaptive damping and VW's XDS electronic differential.A 265bhp, four-wheel-drive R version is expected later to replace the V6 R32.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:42 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
^^ You heart diesel?
yes i do, if the rabbit/gti came with a diesel id be all over it

and it only follows logic to have more tq then hp...
Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 PM
_____ like a rabbit

depending on the aftermarket for the 2.5, i might be trading my car in for this thing!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 PM
101 years of heartache...

I love it! I can't wait to graduate school (and Law school) and get into a future GTI. I guess the MK5 will have to suffice for now

I'm sad to see the open grill look go away though. I think that's such a nice look for the GTI.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:18 AM

Somewhat reminds me of the 08 STi, not saying they look alike but it just popped up in my mind. I like this new GTI though, and wow that interior looks great especially for what the GTI will probably be offered for. The plaid has definitely grown on me and its unique without being offensive.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Hot damn. Dare I say those wheels look better on this one than they do the current version. And I'll take mine in white as well, but in a 5 door.

But what happened to the 250+lb-ft of torque?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Somewhat reminds me of the 08 STi, not saying they look alike but it just popped up in my mind. I like this new GTI though, and wow that interior looks great especially for what the GTI will probably be offered for. The plaid has definitely grown on me and its unique without being offensive.
The plaid is

This MkVI is very nice....looking down the road...I may just stay in the GTI family.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:31 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Volkswagen today took the wraps off a pre-production version of the all-new GTI, based on the recently redesigned Golf. Described as a “concept,” the GTI show car will be on display at the Paris Motor Show next month. In reality, it is almost identical to the production GTI that will arrive at European dealers in the spring.

The new GTI features a number of “firsts” for the range, including the option of Adaptive Chassis Control (ACC) which comprises adjustable pneumatic dampers. Also for the first time, the GTI will be available with an electronic limited slip differential (XDS) linked to a sophisticated ESP (Electronic Stabilization Program) system.

Powered by a 2.0-liter 207 horsepower TSI engine, the new GTI is more powerful, yet also more fuel efficient, than its predecessor. Fuel consumption is estimated at 31.3 miles per U.S. gallon — an impressive figure for a car that can sprint to 62 mph in 7.2 seconds and hit a top speed of 148 mph.

Styling was handled by Walter de Silva (Director, Group Design), Klaus Bischoff (Director, Brand Design) and Marc Lichte (Director, Exterior Design). The car bears visual links with the original 1976 model. “We wanted a consistently clear GTI design, a car that has power, but style as well,” commented Walter de Silva.

The 18-inch ‘telephone dial’ wheels from the Mk V GTI make a reappearance, albeit in subtly evolved form on the Mk VI GTI. Finished in milled silver with gloss black inserts, the new wheels are reminiscent of those first fitted to the GTI W12-650 concept.

Interior highlights include a flat-bottomed steering wheel finished in black leather with contrasting red stitching, plus a set of contoured sports seats finished in grey tartan cloth reminiscent of the Mk I and Mk V models.

Plans for U.S. availability have not yet been announced. The GTI is expected to be sold in America following the debut of the new Rabbit (the U.S. version of the new Golf).
http://www.leftlanenews.com/volkswag...html#more-9857
Old 09-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Moto Enthusiast

Looks great outside and inside. IMO, the interior is more interesting than others in this class (Civic SI). I love the flat bottomed steering wheel and the plaid seats.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:36 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 09-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I like it, except for the wheels. The interior is really nice.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Those seats will not make it to the US unless you get the leather option, like in the case of the MK5. The Interlagos Plaid (standard) in the US gets the GT seats. Only the leather gets those really nice sporty bucket seats. I really like the interior though.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Damn, that looks great inside and out. GTI in my future perhaps?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

They got rid of the "oh sh!t" handles on the center console. :thumbsdow
Old 09-25-2008, 12:27 PM
2010 SHAWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That interior poops all over my SI and so does the current gen model so I'm not shocked. LOL Awesome car!
Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
loving the new GTI.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:37 PM

Did you watch the DVD the dealer gave you with your GTI?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
Did you watch the DVD the dealer gave you with your GTI?
Old 09-25-2008, 10:41 PM
_____ like a rabbit

OH SHIT! never use mine...
Old 09-26-2008, 01:05 AM
how handsome I am

hot damn, I guess I'm kinda glad I held out on getting a GTI this MY.. that thing is sex on a skillet
Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 AM

This is my favorite hatch, 3-door or 5-door. Yup, I like this GTI more than the Cooper S, Speed3, A3, and even the STi. The latter 2 because the fact that I won't be able to afford them for a while helps, and I really like the Speed3 but wow this GTI redefines hot hatch.

The mod potential is insane too, how much is the chip/reflash/whatever it is for the GTI? Even if it were $1,000 thats still one hell of a deal for what, it puts you at 270 whp (?) what is that, 100 or so whp more than stock?

Quick Reply: Volkswagen: Golf News