Videos and Comments: My Visit to the 2004 Chicago Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Videos and Comments: My Visit to the 2004 Chicago Auto Show

ALL VIDEO IS SHOT BY ME, IT'S MPEG2 DVD QUALITY AND IT'S TOTALLY UNEDITED (edited video will follow in later weeks)

Thanks to Siggy for providing hosting services

--------------------------------------------

I live about 45 min. from down town Chicago. On the way to the Chicago Auto Show on I55 and I can tell that a 2.5 Altima wants to play. I dont fall for it since there is no point, though when I saw that late model Mustang GT Cabrio, trying to WOT it every chance he got, I thought let's make the trip to the auto show relevant and not lose the opportunity to see how my 01 CLS stacks up.

Traffic was patchy and because I will not race in traffic, I gave him spotty opportunities. Every time there was an opening though he would WOT it and I would be behind him. It was the time when going from 90 to redlining 3rd when I felt that my car was actually stronger. The funny thing was that when shifted into 4th my car continued to pull (albeit slightly). That's when I thought that, maybe he was not WOTing at that point, maybe he shot it down...who knows. One thing is for sure. I had several opportunities to see how fast that thing would go and I can tell you the Cabrio GT is not faster than a stock auto CLS (especially if I hypothesize that he was driving an auto car).

--------------------------------------------------------

To the show... It's a weekday, it's 10AM and a few miles before the parking lot, traffic is terrible. I can tell why they decided to expand the show space by 30% next year. It desparately needs it. People are drawn to this show like they're giving cars away.

Finally got my opportunity to pay the $14 to park, picked up my gear ( Sony DCR-TRV25 DV Camcorder, light, extra battery and DV tapes) and walked towards the building. It takes about 10-15 minutes walk to "get there". There are like 5-6 escalators one has to take, go over an "enclosed bridge" over Lake Shore Drive and still have some to go from there. Of course that all depends on where one parks. I parked at Parking Lot A which is the closest I believe.

Got my $10 ticket (after returning from the show the wife informed me of 4 free tickets she got at the Shell station while I was on the way there - damn!) and continued inwards.

"All bags subject to search" the sign read. I saw at least 50 people go in with tons of bags, etc and no one got searched. I thought, if something happens, it will probably be during the weekend.

Negative thoughts, please go away, there is a show that's waiting to be seen...and filmed.

I will start making comments of the cars that I have already rendered and uploaded. There will be more posts as I upload more.

In no particular order

------------------------------------------------------------

Aston Martin

The front of the DB9s looks better than on video and photos. The exterior design is really a home run by Ford. Cars were behind "bars" so I could not get super close or sit in one. Looks great and the interior looks qualitative enough for the class.

Audi A8 and S4

The A8 looks good but still conservative from the outside. Still has some room to get more aggressive with the new front grill theme Audi is shifting to. The 330HP is not enough as we know, though more horses are on schedule. At $76,700 though, I think it's a bargain.

I was not as impressed as in other Audi's in the past from the A8's interior. I dont know...it just did not blew me away as one would expect when sitting in the top of the line Audi. It's way better than the 7 series in both quality and design and it's better than the S class's quality but not design I would say.

The S4 sedan and cabrio were there. Again, conservative styling from the outside for the S4s. Too conservative. But look at the V8 in there. It barely fits in the space available.

I sat in an S4. First in the front. Great interior. Then tried to sit in the back. NO WAY I would fit. I am only 6 feet tall. Unacceptable for a 4 door car.

The Audi R8 diserves a shot because it just blew eveyone away for several years in a row at Le Mans (in its class of course).

The "car" is much smaller overall than it looks on TV. And MUCH lower. These look much longer and wider on TV to me for some reason.

And look at those awards! How about that rear design!

Next, the Audi TT 32

Great job! on the subtle exterior changes by Audi. It looks great in my opinion. Like a mini 911, only slicker. The V6 barely fits as you see. The new front lights look great. A little confused with the "S Line" badging by Audi, but we have talked about that. There is a separate thread about it.

Sat in it. Tons of room for two, as I remember from previous times. The interior's design is better than the materials' quality. That's not to say they are not qualitative. They are above average for the class. The paddles behind the steering wheel were so small and dark, I did not even bother trying to film them as you'd be hard pressed to notice them. They are half the size when compared to the paddles by an M3.

I need to drive this one. It's worth it just for the tranny.

The BMW 5 Series

Looks as "wierd" as it does on the photos. $46K for a 530i. We discussed that already in the "5 series News" thread.

I dont like these stock wheels. The fornt lights' design is OK. But the overall package just does not fit. I dont know. I am still hesitant to call this one anything else other than...wierd. Another one to test drive.

The BMW 6 Series

Looking at the Cabrio in the big photo in the beginning of the clip, does it not remind you of a Maserati Spyder in some ways?

Although the rear of the car looks sexy, the front just does not do it for me. The interior is similar to the one in the 5 series. As I have written before, I think that BMW has taken a step back in interior design and quality. I think the design element is the one that has suffered the most since the new overhaul in the past 2-3 years. The only exception is the Z4 and the X3. Especially the X3 as it kept the old-car design elements.

Sat in the cabrio. Oh boy, do you sit low in this car. The seats hug you like no other. Then in the coupe. Looking in the rear, I saw VERY LITTLE space for rear passengers considering the size of this coupe. It's got a lot less space than our CLS does.

The coupe looks sexier than the cabrio from the outside. I heard women passing by and "wowing" again and again at that coupe's rear. Interesting...

$70K for the coupe as you see. So it will cost. In my opinion? It's not worth the money, though I have not driven nor lived with one.

The Chevy Cobalt

The sedan looks about as it does on the photos we've seen. Though the coupe looks better I believe. Especially from the rear. I love the round rear lights. The interior looks a leap ahead for Chevy standards and about what it should be for the category from a company that has ambition. Overall this is a really nice try by Chevy. It's definitely coming around.

The Corvette C6

Looks GREAT! from the front. Totally different, much closer to a true exotic design folks. The rear, although different, it screams Corvette and you would barely new this is not the C5 unless if next to one.

I am not sure about the rear drive lights on the rear. These stock wheels are so so. I dont like the fact that they are "shiny".

The interior looked as it does on the photos. They would let anyone get inside the car so...I cant comment on the quality. The design though is definately a leap ahead from the 5th gen. car.

Take a look at the frame later in the clip. INteresting how everything fits together. The backbone of this car is just huge.

The Mazda Ibuki

This is not even a concept folks. This looks like a car that was put together by expensinve plastic and there is nothing in the inside that makes this a vehicle. I doubt it had a drivetrain. Which means it's very far away from being a production...anything.

The RX8 in the same clip.

I say again. The RX8 looks great from the front. Like nothing else on the road and a ton nicer than its pricetag.

Looking in the engine compartment, you see...cables. As you see, there is nothing in there that resembles some type of engine. And that is why they have the rotary engine on a separate display so one can study it. These rotors are soooo small. It's unbelievable to think that there are 240HP made by TWO of these rotors!

Sat in one. Before siting, I opened both doors. Front and rear. They fit nice. The interior is nicely laid out. Above average for the category and the price. There is tons of attention to detail.

Then sat in the rear. The only problem is legroom. Every other dimention is fine for 2 6-footers siting in sequence. Which says a lot about the designers of this vehicle. I have to drive this to see how it feels.

The Lambo "booth" as always behind ribbons.

$165K for a Gallardo. Looks great but... Then you see the $300K tag on the Murcielago SE and you feel the previous car is a steal. Needless to say, the Gallardo looks better.

Onto the

Maserati area and the first thing I notice is the steel mesh grills that they put on the Coupe. Looks fine, though...is it necessary? I was never sure about the rear design of the coupe. It does not look the part for the money.

I think the engine in these cars looks better than the cars in some ways. Look at those red head covers, the headers and the nice curvy bulge the intake runners form! Notice the mechanish under the runners that varies their length. Very ingenious.

And then I see the Quattroporte! Wow! That's one beautiful car. That is also one LONG! car folks. You cant tell how long this car is from the photos. I am not really fond of the front lights. I think they should have been bigger. Though the grill and the side of the car just looks superb! Good job mother Fiat! I wonder how much longer the Italian tax payer infusion of cash will last after repatitive desperate attempts to be successful. What a waste...

On to the Mercedes booth

Mercedes has GOT TO make the AMG cars more distinct than they are today, is my first thought. I mean, looking at the E55 which is an amazing set of hardware and while being a car enthusiast, I barely can tell this is an AMG car from certain angles.

Then I saw that dual color C Class car. I have never seen or read anything about this car in the past. What's with the large rear wing?

Later you see the S55 and from the front you can only tell by the steel mesh grill. Way too conservative. At that point i stopped filming the Mercedes booth. Really nothing here to see. I wish the new SLK were here.

The Chevy Nomad Concept looks much better up close. And much smaller. No wonder it's based on the Kappa platform as the Solstice. Then you wonder, "this is a Chevy?" Even for a concept it's a surprise. GM is getting fixed folks.

Talking about GM. The G6 was the first car I saw when I entered. My first thought was, "wow this looks less conservative than it does on the photos released by GM". This car does not look bad at all folks. Actually from certain angles, it looks great! And it's a 4 door Pontiac! Wow!

Finally (for this post), the Saleen Booth had some interesting things.

I did not care for the Mustang in there. Nothing new. Though the S7...wow! That thing is a true exotic. WAY more impressive than the Lambos and look at that interior.

Then I saw that N2O Ford Focus! Wow! Then I looked at the HP figure and felt the opposite. 152HP? from 2.3 liters NOSed? He must be giving the stock figure there cos he clearly mentions the 75HP NOS shot on the next sentence. Hmm...so is it 227HP total? If yes, then "now we're talking!"

More to come...
Old 02-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that e55 and s55 are hottt
Old 02-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
files won't play....codec error. I have latest divx installed, any ideas?
Old 02-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Zapata
files won't play....codec error. I have latest divx installed, any ideas?
The codec is not DiVX, it's MPEG2.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nice post, gav...very good read
Old 02-16-2004, 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Great post. Very nice opinion piece. I went to the Detroit auto show a little over a month ago. I have to pretty much agree with almost everything you said above.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

As far as the 7 Series BMW cars sitting in a 745i was a treat. Very luxurious even in the rear seats. Tons of space all around including for rear passengers. Note the air vents in the rear on the B Pillars.

The 760 was introduced in this show. Look at the price. Over $110K! And the total HP figure is not very impressive to me. I am sure the car is fast.

I still cannot get used to the front lights of the 7 series. Overall the car does not look its part for the money.

The Ferrari Scaglietti is simply awsome. From certain angles it does look like the new C6. It is longer than it looks on video and photos. The front design is a classic in my opinion.

The 575M in the same clip looks good though one can tell than it's aging since the Scaglietti now looks better than the 575 and the Scaglietti is supposed to be the conservative Ferrari.

The Infiniti Q56 is simply HUGE up close. Guys, I had trouble getting in without using the extra step given. Everything is big about this vehicle. Nice touch on the window controls and where they are located. Mirror controls as well. The interior does not feel as cheap as it looks.

In the same clip as few shots of the Maxima because I remember looking at this car for the first time exactly 1 year ago in this same show. I hated the front design. Now when I see them on the road, I totally get it. It looks great. The interior needs a little more quality though. Just a little more.

On to the Land Rover area for the Range Stormer

Look at that trick with the waterfall! Isnt it awsome?

The Range Stormer looks simply fearsome. It totally looks the part folks. Ford is really making some strides with the latest concepts and design in general. They are trying hard.

Notice the trick inside the front lights. It looks like broken glass and it looks great, though you notice it only from up close. One of the main reasons this vehicle looks so...impressive is because of the 2 door design combined with the fact the way those 2 doors open. I mean the length of the door sitting up is simply mind-boggling and right there you know it is not practical, hence, it wont happen.

I shot the Maybach booth because last year only the 57 was at the show. Not the 62. So this is the first time I see a 62 up close and get a live glance of the business class sitting in the rear. In one word...WOW! Two words describe this vehicle: "Ultimate Luxury" I think I would prefer this to a Rolls or Bentley. I dont know...

Look at the inside of the rear doors. They look like expensive furnuture. TV behind the front seats for the rear passengers. One for each. I love the rear design...I love the design in general I would say. Notice the abundant wood on the front dash. Note the "pillows" on the rear seats! Orthopedic!

This is one vehicle that looks the part and is worth its price I believe.

The Mitsu Eclipse Concept definately looks better up close than on the photos. I was not sure about the design on the photos, though up close it looks much better. The good thing is that this concept looks complete. Very close to production. I am sure the real Eclipse will look different though I am sure the basic lines will be kept intact.

The rear is very impressive from all angles. And what is up with those exhaust tips. They look like rocket turbines. Note the joystick for a stick shift in the interior. Also, note the ala-Chevy steering wheel design which has been applied on the Galant (later) though it looks much better because Mitsu made one sligh change to the design (while Chevy's looks terrible). They made the bottom 2 lines form a triangle instead of go down straigh as in the case of Chevy. Looks perfect on the Eclipse Concept, it looks terrible on the C6, Malibu and others.

I wanted to film the new Mitsu Galant because I just read a nice article on MotorTrend about it. A few weeks ago I believe. It beat the Camry and others and I liked the general shape on the mag photos. Especially from the rear. Initially I did not like the front. The rear looks good, the front does not look as bad as in the photos is the verdict. Got in and saw that the interior is typical Mitsu quality. Needs improvement.

In the same clip I took a few shots of an Evo sitting there. It's always worth it. Many compain about the interior, though I think that for the class it's appropriate.

After such a lengthy debate on the Phaeton thread, I had to film the Phaeton even from the outside. They would not let people get in the vehicle. In one word, it looks too conservative to me. ANd I believe that's intentional by VW. I like the front lights design though. I think that's the most aggressive part of the whole design. As you can see in the clip I had to shoot the interior from far away and it looks...great I guess.

Notice the dual tip within the exhaust!

The Scion tC looks much better up close than on ptotos. And I liked it even on the photos we saw. It looks great especially from the front. Then when you consider the price, it looks even better! I think that the Civics are in trouble with all these Civic competitors that will even undercut it in some cases. Great job Toyota.

You can barely see the interior in the clip but it looks desent considering the price again.

The Subaru WRX Sti and overall Subaru booth here

Not much to say here other than the SUbaru booth looked awsom. They pured a ton of money into this, it was evident.

$31K for an STi. Good luck finding that! Or am I wrong? I am still under the impression that the STi carries hefty dealer gauging. Notice that Subaru added an extra mesh grill on top of the intercooler so people dont bend the intercooler fins when touching it. Tisk, tisk Subaru

I love the nice touch of painting the intake runners red on this engine showing it's special. Will you ever stop copying Ferrari all of you? Testarosa...

Finally for this post, the

VW Concept_T looks as impressive as it does on the photos. It wont be build though I thought it's worth a small clip. Very impressive especially because of the 2 door design. Way oof the ground, looks like it can go anywhere. Nice VW but you need to improve in other areas, far away from this..."buggy segment". And you need to do that 2 years ago.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Homeless

Excellent write-up Gav.

As usual.

You should do more opion pieces like this, as most of us trust your judgement/opinion.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by chris3240929
Excellent write-up Gav.

As usual.

You should do more opion pieces like this, as most of us trust your judgement/opinion.
Chris thanks for the nice words...
Old 02-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Homeless

No sweat. I enjoy the coverage you provide.

No other car forum can match our own "in-house" expert.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:27 PM
__

Thank you Gav for your sharing your time and opinions! Your words (car words) are always meaningful and much appreciated!
Old 02-16-2004, 05:30 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by chris3240929
No other car forum can match our own "in-house" expert.
this is very true
Old 02-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Wow...thank you guys.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:39 PM
The hair says it all

thanks gav, very good read its appreciated
Old 02-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

$31K for an STi. Good luck finding that! Or am I wrong? I am still under the impression that the STi carries hefty dealer gauging. Notice that Subaru added an extra mesh grill on top of the intercooler so people dont bend the intercooler fins when touching it. Tisk, tisk Subaru
Wonderfull review as always. Too bad you do not show up at the "other" forum I think the forum is less without you. (Cook said something to that extend live )

From hanging out at the Subaru forums an STi at dealer invoice and even a bit less than that is very much a reality.

Just check out the Subaru dealerships they have 5 of them just seating out in the elements. They may still want a 5k markup but the hot days of the STi are gone.

All in all I think it is a bit too die hard for me.

Cheers

Nick
Old 02-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by titsataki

Wonderfull review as always.
Wow Thanks.

Too bad you do not show up at the "other" forum I think the forum is less without you. (Cook said something to that extend live )
Well you know the story about that. Cook knows what to do to
"erase" that issue. I dont expect him to though.

From hanging out at the Subaru forums an STi at dealer invoice and even a bit less than that is very much a reality.
Wow that sounds almost generous from Subaru. $31K for an STi is totally worth it.

Just check out the Subaru dealerships they have 5 of them just seating out in the elements. They may still want a 5k markup but the hot days of the STi are gone.

Gone? Really? I wonder why...
Old 02-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

On to the Ford Five Hundred and one thougth comes to mind quickly: Too conservative. Second thought: it kinda looks like a Lincoln LS from certain angles. I actually think that the Ford 500 looks better on the photos than up close.

On to the Ford GT and remembering how this looked as a concept during the same show last year, I can tell you that this production car looks even better. The attention to detail is stunning considering it's a Ford. I did not like the wheels. They tried to resemble the 60s look but I dont like them. Something more modern would have been more appropriate I believe. Look at the Venturi tunnel spoilers under the car (from the rear). I love the air vents on the hood.

Look at the size of that motor! DOHC and SCed, it's so tall naturally. Even the tranny is huge. Doesnt the throttle look small for the displacement and power output? Also, the headers look very low tech. Maybe beause the engine is a display engine. "Powered by Ford" on top of the heads. I love that. Shows that Ford does not feel embarassed of their name on this engine and car. Good for them. That's how it should be. Finally look at the last shot of the engine. How many pulleys are there?

On to the Ford Mustang and I have to tell you that when I looked at the production Mustang on the photos, I thought it did not look as good as I thought it would have, let alone as compared to the concept car which I think looked great. Well, I realized that I was wrong when I saw this production car up close. From some angles it looks better than the concept car. They did a GREAT job. Ford is trying hard folks..

The other thing I hated on this car from the photos was the fog lights up front. When I read that the V8 gets them standard and the V6 does not, I thought I cant believe Ford is trying to make the V8 look worse then the base car. Well....I got used to them already. They look fine. Even good.

Looking at the interior one thinks this might be a concept still... Great job there once again. I have not been in one but design-wise it looks better for the category. The exhaust tips need work. Too small, not as flashy. Overall, great job from Ford.

At the Honda booth and the HFP Accord is there and no one is even noticing it! I mean, look at the intercooler! That's totally unlike Honda! Looked good, but kinda ricy. Too many skirts and spoilers from certain angles. What is up with the side opening. What is it supposed to do? Is it functional? I liked the large exhaust tips. Overall, nothing really special here.

Just 10 yards away you seean S2000

When I saw the S2K on the photos, I thought that the changes were subtle but enough to be able to tell this is a refreshed S2K. Up close, it just did not look different enough than the "older" car.

Still love the red head cover. And to this day, I cant get over the fact of how FAR IN the hood that inline 4 sits. The way it should be for a well balanced car that has handling as its priority. Look at the huge intake box. And it's sitting right in front of the hood. With an open/exposed funnel. It's like saying "give me that air I am loving inhaling it and converting it into horsies"

Almost $32K. Not bad, though I think it would have been a steal at $28K. The 18 inchers look great, though I am sure they are responsible for 2 tenths for the 60 run. This car simply does not have any torque to spare for such huge wheels. I am sure they make a big difference in acceleration and in handling. Negative for the former, positive for the latter.

The interior looks better up close than on the video. It looks better than ever. Totally functional, simple yet sufficient. The two-tone leather reminds me of an M car. The old M Roadster comes to mind.

The Honda SUT is up next and I already have negative thoughts about this...vehicle. You know...from what we all read and seen, etc. Though soon I realize that there is no truck in the market currently that looks anything like this...vehicle. It's totally unique conceptually (no pun intended). It's screaming "I am the sportiest truck on the road" from up close. Yes it's still a concept but I can already tell what the production model will look like. ANd it wont be far from what you see.

The front light design is significantly responsible for that sporty look. The design is unique and it looks great to me. There are some really fresh ideas about the interior's functionality. Honda engineers and designers did try to think outside the box with this one. I think it will be successful with the right engine in it. Build it.

On to the Lexus booth and oh! the Lexus GS

Saw the front first and thought...oh that's breathtaking! So clean, it almost looks like a concept. "I can buy that this year?" comes to mind. Then saw the side and thought "great roofline - looks like a coupe with 4 doors - ala Alfa". Finally saw the rear and thought "why did you just ruin the experience Lexus?"

OK, it's not terrible, but the front looks so good, it just leaves wanting more. It's the rear lights that do the most damage. That upper line just goes nowhere.

Overall, this car looks A TON better than on the photos we first saw in this forum.

Excellent looking stock wheels. And where Audi faltered with the S4, Lexus shows them how it should be done with the metalic/silver-colored/alloy line running accross the door sills. Nice touch and evidence of attention to detail.

Notice that they did not use huge lower air intakes on the front, yet it's the proportion of the upper grill and the lower air intake that does the trick. Also proportion is the answer with the 4 front lights. Excellent overall! All we need now is an enlarged V8 to 5 liters and please get rid of that 3 liter for a 3.5 liter 280HP engine. Anything less than that is just not for this car. I still dont get why they did not uptune the 3.3 liter from the Lexus and ES and install it in this GS car.

The Lexus HPX Concept also looks MUCH better up close than on photos. You see this thing on video and once you realize it's got station wagon proportions you capitulate, though let me tell you...it looks very athletic and sexy up close. The front lights betray this is a concept and they are too small in my opinion, though the rest of the front looks great!

As you see the doors open ala-RX8. Which is a great thing for utility which this vehicle's character partially is. The rear looks very good as well. Look at those huge "air vents" at the rear bottom. I can now see why Mercedes has spent so much money on the GST. These things will eventually sell well folks.

Looking at the interior shots, I cant help but wonder that the "instrument panel" came from a StarTrek Voyager set.

Finally look at the third/center air vent on the rear. Attention to detail...I am sure there is a reason for it.

The IS 430 is next and I feel like I have feelings for this car. See when I first found that AutoExpress article talking about a V8 IS, it was so many months ago...at that time the M3 was king and it had no competition in the USA. So I thought..."there...Lexus will show them". Of course...since then a lot has happened and the V8 IS stayed as that. A concept. A good idea that never materialized. So it felt interesting to see it up close for the first time. I thought I was at a European auto show for a second. A nice exotic touch.

You cant but love those brakes. Drilled, huge, with red calipers and the Brembo sign and trademark clearly visible. I am sure they work too.

I am not sure about this car's two-tone exterior color. I dont think I like it. The front steel mesh grill looks good, but why did they create a different mesh design on the upper and lower sections of the front of the car? It ruins the flow. It looks aggressive but not aggressive enough. I know that will get fixed with the next IS. They will go all out I hear.

Notice Lexus does not call this a Concept car, but a Project car. It wears the 4.3 liter from the LS/GS and it makes 340HP and 325lb-ft. 0-60 in 5 seconds they state.

The rear looks...stock to me. Yeah the spoiler lip is there and the huge exhaust tips are there but...still...it leaves you wanting more.

Overall...I feel sad that this will never happen. At least not with this generation IS car.

And there is the RX 400H

It says, power= 270HP. Why do I remember 260 when it was first introduced? And it's important to explain that not all of this power is available at all times. I recall terms like "at times" and "260HP power bursts" from the Lexus PR. People who will buy these hybrids wont know that. Once again, power has got to be stated differently. Even with internal combustion engines. There is got to be a way to aggregate the total area under the power curve and give that as a figure.

The RX400H looks...pretty much stock. I still cant get used to those rear lights of this new RX car. I dont know...

Looking at the exposed platform in the second half of the clip...look at those batteries and how they stacked them at the rear there. No wonder you get no 3rd seat here. Of course you dont get that even with the RX330 but still... I am sure 10 years from now, these batteries will either be 1/3 the size or be the same size with 3 times the power.

I wonder how a hybrid RX drives. I cant wait to find out. I am guessing it will be the first hybrid I will ever drive.

Finally for this post, the Toyota Solara Cabrio

People did not like how it looked on the photos. I said it looked weired. Looking at it from the front, you see a mix of new GS and curent Celica. From the sides you think "that's a long vehicle". And from the rear it looks a failed attempt to look German-sporty.

The trunk space is pretty impressive for a convertible car. Overall, better than on the photos. I think this vehicle is a bargain for the money.

Till the next post...
Old 02-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Good job with the video. Makes me feel like I'm right at the show!
I do have a few questions though......Does the Qx56 feel cheap inside, and likewise for the refreshed Altima??
Old 02-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Habiib
Good job with the video. Makes me feel like I'm right at the show!
I do have a few questions though......Does the Qx56 feel cheap inside, and likewise for the refreshed Altima??
THe Q56 looks "less cheap" inside than on the phots. I was pleasantly/positively surprised at that actually.

I have not talked about the 05 Altima yet because there will be video of it soon. In brief it was a very positive experience.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by gavriil
Wow Thanks.

Well you know the story about that. Cook knows what to do to
"erase" that issue. I dont expect him to though.

Wow that sounds almost generous from Subaru. $31K for an STi is totally worth it.

Gone? Really? I wonder why...
yup I know the story He did mentioned pm'ing you but hey I did not say anything (that was early January..)

Actually I know people that got the STi for like 29,xxx before taxes and fees.. Personally I cannot deal with the massive tail thing and the equally big intecooler intake.

I mean that the demand for the car (commanding a markup...) is gone. The car is still a bargain for its money.

I am waiting for the Legacy GT to add to my list of potentials

Nick

Ps: I really like the RX330/400h and it may replace the Jeep. bigest attraction is size (not too big) and mileage (I am fed up of getting 13-15 mpg on a good day.. )
Old 02-18-2004, 11:14 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
awesome job!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Ps: I really like the RX330/400h and it may replace the Jeep. bigest attraction is size (not too big) and mileage (I am fed up of getting 13-15 mpg on a good day.. )
"Not too big"? Compared to the Cherokee the interior will seem huge to you. Trust me. Go and check it out at the dealer's. Even my RX300 has more interior space than your Cherokee. I know cos my brother in law has one and I have been in it several times. The RX has very efficient interior space design. One of the highest in the category if not the highest.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,341 Likes on 5,253 Posts
nice vids guy

i myself will have pics coming soon

Old 02-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by gavriil
"Not too big"? Compared to the Cherokee the interior will seem huge to you. Trust me. Go and check it out at the dealer's. Even my RX300 has more interior space than your Cherokee. I know cos my brother in law has one and I have been in it several times. The RX has very efficient interior space design. One of the highest in the category if not the highest.
Not too big I mean on the ourside. If it takes good advantage of the available sapce that is a plus. Actually I am very familiar of the R300 space. Good friends of ours have a 2001 and we have taken it a few 2-5 hour trips with 4-5 people.

Cheers

Nick
Old 02-25-2004, 11:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is the final post for my review of
the 2004 Chicago Auto Show

The 05 Nissan Altima was a treat to see up close.

Somehow they managed to not ruin the trademark look, yet refine it to the point where it looks much more..."mature", more elegant. Specifically from the front because one can tell of changes to the rear only if you put previous years' cars side by side. Look at the interior! Wow! What a leap ahead. Dont get me wrong, it's not Audi or Lexus-like, but when compared to the previous car, this is certainly more than a step to the right direction. Which is what I told the nice rep when kindly asked "do you have any questions sir?".

I overheard a lady-rep explain to someone the features and specs. She goes: "...and it's got 250HP...". My next thought "they upped it again?". Nope. Still 245HP on the spec sheet, so just a sales pitch from her. No big deal.

I have lived with a 2002 and a 2003 Altima at 3 different occasions as a rental while on business. Once in Las Vegas, once in Langley, VA and once in San Fran. The ride is not bad for the category. I was totally disappointed by the quality of the interior on the first year car, but I saw a measurable fit and finish improvement on the second year car, so I know Nissan was trying hard even before this refresh. Overall, I think this is a significant car in the category now. Good job Nissan.

The Acura NSX was the last car I filmed. The Acura booth was very different this time. They had 3 levels. At the bottom was the RSX and TSX, the TL was on the 2nd level and they had a staircase that took you one story up where there was lying one NSX. It was really a large balcony in a way. A panoramic view of the show as possible due to the height.

Overall, this car looks dated even with the changes/refresh made to it. Especially from the side. This car is now showing its age. Though, I still LOVE the design of the interior, specifically the center dashboard. It kinda reminds me of our CLS's dashboard only with a much higher degree of angle which makes it a ton more attractive in my opinion. And that design is also 15 years old, as old as the NSX name really. Amazing.

The Acura RSX Concept was interesting. From certain angles you think "rice"...though from certain other angles it does not look bad at all. The venturi spoilers under the rear frame look really impressive. I am sure they are functional, though I wonder to what extend.

The RSX really needs to be dropped from the Acura lineup as many have mentioned in this forum. I agree with you. Acura needs to grow up and add more "upper" product to the brand. Start with the TSX and go all the way to something that's a step up from the upcoming RL. I know they are busy building new SUV/s though. I mean a look inside the RSX after just being in a TSX and you know they just dont belong to the same brand name. The RSX carries the Honda Integra name in Europe as you know. And justifyably so.

The Cadillac CTSV

I have intentionally let this video go with the rep's presentation because it was interesting to see what GM wants to tell us. The market that is. Tells us with this vehicle. And I knew something interesting would have been said when the rep started talking about the M3 and M5. The beginning of that talk I missed due to a tape change on the camcorder and really it was the braggin part. The guy started saying something like "if you are in your brand new M3 or M5 and you see this Caddy on the road and think this thing's got one of those 6 cylinders in there and I can smoke it at any time...think again" Praphrasing, but that was the gist of it. The last part of the quote you can still catch.

The car overall looks impressive mainly due to the front mesh grills. The rear is toned down. Kept more in line with the base car. I disagree but that's what they did. That's what the Germans do too I guess. Not enough separation between the base cars and the "tuned" cars (M, AMD, S, etc.)

Overall it looks great I believe. I am kind of disappointed at this car's performance. Several mags now report times in the low 5s for the 60 run. That's far from Caddy's claim of 4.6 Half a second for the 60 is a huge margin. Someone is wrong and I dont think it's the mags. Mag racing but still...

I totally love the fact that there is only one option (sunroof). Like Acura, Cadillac makes it easy for one to buy this car without the hassles. The only thing that bothers me is the interior. Mostly the design of it and secondarily the quality of materials used. I hate the design. It looks like there was no design whatsoever, like they just tried to fit all the parts together. There is no flow, no continuity. Lutz promised a redesigned interior when the CTSV were out. I guess plans changed.

The Chrysler 300C is, in one sentence, VERY impressive when considering the price intents I hear from Chrysler (for the base car that is). This thing looks like a luxury sedan. The interior is almost as qualitative as that of our CLS and we know it will not be underpowered in its V8 iteration.

I kinda have a little problem with the fact that the car is totally impressive from the front (mainly due to the grill and the design of the front lights), but then you look at it from behind, it's significantly toned down in contrast. You think you're looking at 2 different cars. It's not ugly from the rear to me.

There is a ton of space for rear passengers. This car will also be utilitarian to its owners and that's a good thing. Good job Chrysler! I hope you wont have realibility issues with this new offering.

Next I come accross the Chrysler Crossfire Cabrio

By the way, on the way to the show I saw the first Crossfire on the road every. Of course it was the coupe.

I am looking at this thing and I cant but think how interesting this coupe will be once fitted with the engine from the C32 (slightly detuned in its Crossfire iteration). It will fly at low 5s for the 60. Hopefully it wont be more than $46K.

The cabrio does look good I believe. The rear curvy "back and butt" on the coupe is too much from certain angles. In the cabrio version it looks better.

The Dodge Magnum is an interesting choice. I seriously think that the Magnum will sell better than Chrysler thinks it will. It is a very impressive package when you think about what it offers really. Utility without sacrificing looks and can get the HEMI in it if you feel underpowered with the base versions. So there is nothing really missing there. Why get an SUV? Ah yes...because you sit high off the ground. The infamous "commanding view of the road". Everyone wants to be...commanding. Or maybe a commander.

The Dodge Slingshot was a surprise. It looks much better up close and much...smaller! I tell ya, that think is small. Why waste this concept with an alternative power premise? They should have come out and introduced a small force fed 4 cylinder engine and like in the case of the Solstice, when and if it went into production, use a NA engine and possibly a force fed verions would follow. And that very well be what's gonna happen eventually. I think the Slignshot looked great and Chrylser needs a vehicle like this to compete.

This is not the first time I see a Viper on a show, nor up close for that matter. You know after checking out all these interesting new cars and sitting in them, spending a few minutes with a Viper gives you the general idea that this car is built with subpar quality standards. And that goes both for the interior and the exterior. I am not saying it should be built like a luxury car, but I think that there is much effort going into quality from everyone else, this Viper just cannot stand on its own any more. Of course no one will buy this thing for the above reasons, but that was my first thought and even the after-taste when I left the vehicle.

I sat inside and my first thought was "wow I feel like I am sitting 2 inches off the floor" Very low seating positions. Which is a good thing to me. My second thought was "this interior needs to be redone". And that says a lot because mags were reporting a leap ahead as far as quality and design of the interior with this new car, as compared with the old. So...imagine how bad the old car was in that respect.

Overall, I felt that the C6 is much more mature now. And that says a lot. I would never have thought I would think of that so soon. The Viper is in the second year of its life with this second generation.

Overall I left the Viper disappointed. I am sure that would be different if I got to drive one, but that's not what auto shows are for.

In the GM area again and there are a bunch of Pontiac GTOs lying there with tons of people waiting to sit in one of them.

Everyone is talking about two things about the GTO:

1. It does not look agressive enough
2. The interior is so ahead of Pontiac standards...

Well, I slightly disagree with the former and moderately with the latter.

I saw the GTO for the first time a year ago in this same auto show. The videos are there for everyone to see. It is not a car that's designed to impress right up front. It is toned down exterior design-wise, though not disappointingly so... And the rear actually looks good. It's not the most beautiful GT on the road, but hey it's a Pontiac.

By the way, I saw the first one on the road today on VA267 while visiting the nation's Capital. I tried to follow it while in a rental, base, Taurus, but the guy was really in a hurry so he disappeared quickly. I did have ample time to examine the rear of the car on the road though. I'd call it "moderately mature". Like a 5 series (previous generation). Like a Lincoln LS looks from the rear. I think it's a design that wont fade easily, it wont be a fad that will go away either though.

Lutz has promised a hood scoop in The Judge GTO so we'll see.

So what about the interior. I sat in one. Well...when I saw the interior in the published photos, I thought, wow! Well, here's what happens. The interior's design is superb! The quality of materials used, is nowhere near what it looks like from the photos. So it's misleading. I am not saying the quality is like 350Z, though not what it looks like in the photos.

What matters though is that overall, the GTO's interior is lightyears ahead of any Pontiac currently. And that's a good thing.

The Pontiac Solstice is as impressive up close as it is on the photos. It's so small! It looks nimble, I can only imagine how nimble it will actually be. I would have taken a slightly different approach with the front light design, but hey... Overall, when you think this is a Pontiac and it will be available at Pontiac dealers and then when you think what's available at Pontiac dealers now, you know GM has turned the corner. And we're not even half way there. The Germans better watch out. VW is already out of touch and out of the game in my opinion. Now the luxury brands will be in trouble soon.

Quick notes:

I sat in the rear seats of a Malibu Max. Tons! of room. The interior is very well layed out and the quality is there too. Very impressed.

I sat in an Amanti. TONS of room eveywhere and overall very positively impressed by this car, thinking it's a KIA!

I played the "close the door, feel the fit" test in every car. No other car came even close to the way the doors of the Volvo S40 close. I imagine that only the Maybach's doors will close with such accuracy. It gives you the feeling that the door and the rest of the car came out of one piece of metal. Very surprised I was at that. Second best was the Cadillac SRX in this amature's test.

By the way, the S40's center dash design is very impressive. You cannot tell from the photos till you sit in it. The quality looks better on the photos though. It's not THAT qualitative from a materials used perspective. No way disappointing in any way though.

Overall this Chicago Auto Show was the best of all I have been at. The show does not have the big unveilings that others do mainly due to the fact that it happens right after the Detroit Auto Show. Though from a facilities perspective, taking into consideration next year's expansion, this is THE show.

I missed the ME412 from Chrysler. It was there for the first 2-3 days and then they pulled it cos they had to do work on it. Oh well...
Old 02-26-2004, 08:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by GAVRIIL
Nice job G-Man.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

5min rule blows btw. I've eaten Doritos
off the floor in more time.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus