Toyota: Supra News

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 12:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I dont know.. if i were in that market, i might have a difficult time deciding between this or the new Z..... since the Z has 6mt...
Old 12-23-2020, 07:36 AM

Received 5,564 Likes on 3,798 Posts
As much as I'm pretty anti-Nissan, I'd probably take the Z, on looks & 6MT. Curious to read reviews once it's out.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:31 PM
Team Owner

I have a feeling that the Z will be cheaper as well...they dont have to pay BMW.
I think Z should be cheaper than Q60 redsport per previous gens.

If Nissan could keep the non-Nismo top trim below 50k, it will definitely steal more sales from Supra..... well not there is much sales to steal to begin with
Old 12-23-2020, 01:39 PM

Since getting rid of the motorcycle, I'm wanting some MT back in my life, so that would lean me toward the Z
Old 12-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Team Owner

yah grab the last few while you still could... they will all be gone in the next several years...
Old 06-03-2021, 07:08 AM

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/02/...dition-reveal/

It’s that time of year again: Supra time! Changes for the 2022 Toyota GR Supra dropped today, and the headliner is a new special edition named the A91-Carbon Fiber Edition. It’s nicknamed the rather forgettable A91-CF Edition, and it’s about exactly what you’d expect from something with carbon fiber in the name.

The A91-CF Edition adds a new carbon fiber front splitter, larger canards, carbon fiber side rockers, carbon fiber duckbill spoiler and lower rear canards. Toyota says the extra aero bits combine to improve downforce and stability both on the road and on the track, so it’s not all show. It also comes with unique 19-inch wheels painted matte black. Exterior paint options include Phantom (also matte), Zero White and Nitro Yellow.

An exclusive two-tone red-and-black interior is on all A91-CF Editions, and it extensively uses leather and Alcantara. Toyota says it’s only going to make 600 of these special edition Supras, and while pricing isn’t yet available, we know that they will arrive in dealers this fall.

As for the rest of the 2022 Supra lineup, the changes are minimal compared to the radical changes we saw for 2021. All 3.0 models gain standard heated seats, and there’s a new all-red interior option for the 3.0 Premium. All models that have the “premium audio” option tacked on gain full-screen Apple CarPlay — it cut off part of the screen previously. Android users are still out of luck, as even though BMW offers Android Auto in its vehicles now, the Supra still doesn’t have it.

Lastly, every 2022 GR Supra owner will get a one-year complimentary membership to the National Auto Sport Association. It’s only $45/year for a NASA membership, but Toyota says its deal also includes one free High Performance Driving Event (HPDE), which would let you attend a one-day high-performance driving school on a road course.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,945 Likes on 14,060 Posts
Saw this car twice last week...one in red and the other in yerrow...

I have to say, it is quite a gorgeous car.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:24 PM

https://www.thedrive.com/news/41342/...-and-a80-supra

Even on cars as reliable as '90s Japanese classics, there comes a point where parts without service intervals wear out. Decades after their discontinuation, these components can often be hard to replace, as anyone who has tried to find a fresh transmission for a 1991 model would know. These struggles were a fact of life for owners of the Supra until Toyota acknowledged the fervor for its old grand tourer and rebooted parts production. Now, the automaker has just expanded it to include new sought-after parts.

Of interest to the largest crowd of Supra stans will be its expanded catalog for the A80 (or Mark Four) model of film fame, for which two new old pieces are coming this summer. In July, stock oxygen sensors will again be available for the few who haven't upgraded to wideband sensors. Come August, new front bumper covers will also arrive, no doubt coming in clutch for those who have had an oopsie trying to drift.

The more polygonal A70 (or Mark Three) gets some love too next month when Toyota will resume offering clutch master and slave cylinders, brake hoses, heater hoses, and air conditioner knobs. New enamel front badges will follow in August while September will see rear Supra badging revived, along with side protection moldings, front door garnishes, and lower front suspension arm bushings.

All these parts and those which preceded them will be available through Toyota's GR Heritage Parts Project website to Supra owners across the globe, including those living in the United States. There, Toyota also accepts requests for additional parts to reproduce, though only from Supra and 2000GT owners. It seems Toyota has decided we MR2 or Celica owners aren't worthy of attention—yet.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,945 Likes on 14,060 Posts
Pricing of the A91-CF version: https://jalopnik.com/the-toyota-supr...ntent=jalopnik
Old 08-10-2021, 10:47 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/525387/t...rsary-edition/

The current Supra has only been around for approximately two and a half years and yet it has already spawned more special editions than we can count. Prepare to add another one as Toyota is introducing a 35th Anniversary Special Edition in Japan to celebrate three and a half decades since the Supra became a standalone sports car. As a refresher, it was initially a Celica version between 1978 and 1986.

What's so special about the 35th Anniversary model? While there aren't any mechanical upgrades, the limited-run JDM Supra does get a wide array of visual tweaks. It's based on the four-cylinder SZ-R and beefier inline-six RZ, with both sharing the 19-inch forged alloy wheels finished in matte black. Inside, all cars have carbon accents on the dashboard in front of the passenger seat.

Available from 6,535,000 yen (about $59,300), the SZ-R-based special edition boasts red brake calipers and matte black paint on the side mirror caps. It can be had in five different colors, including Lightning Yellow, while the interior boasts Alcantara/leather upholstery and sport pedals.

The beefier RZ variant is priced from 7,835,000 yen ($71,110) and comes with the larger engine while adding full leather upholstery and wireless charging. It combines a Matte Storm Gray exterior finish with completely red seats to further distance itself from the lesser trim level.

Toyota will be making only 35 examples of each and predicts the special edition will be in high demand as the company says it will organize a raffle on September 7 to randomly select the lucky buyers.

The 35th Anniversary Edition follows North America's A91-CF and Europe's Jarama Racetrack Edition, but this isn't the first time the JDM-spec Supra is handed the special treatment. Back in April 2020, the Land of the Rising Sun received a Supra RZ Horizon Blue Edition with more power, retuned suspension, and improved body rigidity.

Old 09-29-2021, 10:41 AM

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/09/to...o-paul-walker/

Tom’s Racing and Japanese magazine Safari have joined forces to design a special Toyota Supra that pays tribute to late actor Paul Walker.

Walker was a big fan of the A80 Supra and actually owned a handful of them, including a white one. With that in mind, Tom’s Racing and the Safari magazine decided to finish the exterior of this A90 Supra in matte white.

Elsewhere, the sports car has been equipped with a distinctive rear wing inspired by the one on the A80 Supra. A set of iconic BBS LM wheels measuring 20 inches at all four corners have also been fitted. This is apt as the white Supra that Brian O’Connor drove in the closing scenes of Furious 7 was owned by Walker himself and also had BBS LM wheels.

Tom’s Racing has also made some performance modifications to the car. For example, it features a bespoke Power Box that lifts grunt of the turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six engine up to 420 hp. The Supra has also been equipped with KW V3 adjustable coilover suspension.

The Japanese tuner will make some changes to the interior of the car as well, although it has yet to release photos of the updated cabin.

Tom’s Racing intends on building just three examples of this special Supra priced at 1,297,000 yen, or $116,759. Applications to purchase one will be open until October 31, 2021 and if there are more than three, a lottery will be held to determine who can buy them.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:31 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,477 Likes on 934 Posts
Or you could just do it yourself for a lot cheaper.

Nice gesture...

Edit: Wait is the wing photoshopped on? How does the truck open?
Old 09-29-2021, 01:02 PM

Maybe it has a horrible overhang when the trunk is open?
Old 09-29-2021, 01:24 PM
Team Owner

Better milk the shit out of it before the new Z arrives... cuz being $15-20k cheaper with 6mt.... Toyota might, i mean BMW might as well discontinue the Supra...
Old 09-29-2021, 01:29 PM

I think the Z looks better, and 6MT. Woiuld need to drive both, but based on paper, the Z would be leading, of the two.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:13 PM

https://www.netcarshow.com/toyota/20...t_top_concept/

In 2020, Toyota remained committed to the automotive aftermarket and the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA), hosting its 2020 SEMA360 Showcase virtual presentation and unveiling its latest creations, including the GR Supra Sport Top. For 2021, Toyota is excited to "show the metal" and give the GR Supra Sport Top the live in-person SEMA Show debut it deserves.

Intended as a continuation of Toyota's tribute to the much heralded and loved MKIV Supra of the 1990s, it celebrates the removable-roof Supra models of the past and is a fitting companion to the wildly popular GR Supra Heritage Edition that debuted at SEMA in 2019.

Both the GR Supra Sport Top and the GR Supra Heritage Edition will be on display in Toyota's 2021 SEMA Show exhibit (Central Hall, Booth No. 24800). For the first time, SEMA attendees will be able to feast their eyes on both builds side by side and experience the ultimate Supra tribute.

"We are very excited to finally get a chance to show off both of these incredibly cool GR Supra builds at the SEMA Show," said Lisa Materazzo, group vice president - Toyota Division Marketing. "The team did some spectacular customization and fabrication work to pay tribute to Supras that came before, and we're finally going to show them together so SEMA fans can see them up close and personal."

Marty Schwerter and the Toyota Motorsports Garage set out to conceptualize the GR Supra Sport Top Edition and create this open-air Supra tribute. It features many of the Heritage Edition's custom visual cues and performance upgrades yet takes a fresh look at the retro-inspired build.

"Toyota really wanted to have a companion to the Heritage Edition. But, this was no easy build, and we put a lot of thought into cutting the roof and removing a significant part of the car's structure," Schwerter said. "It was way more complicated than we originally thought. Removing the top was extremely tough and required some innovative work to retain the GR Supra's rigidity. I love how it came out, and I hope others love it, too."

KC Mathieu, owner of KC's Paint Shop in Fort Worth, Texas, led the roof removal work.

"The steel was a little harder to cut through than we expected," said Mathieu. "We started with an air saw and got nowhere real fast."

Though concerned that after 30 minutes they had only cut about an inch of steel, KC then switched gears and tried a different cutting tool. After some time, the metal of the roof really started to yield, and eventually the surgery would be a success.

The roof design features two composite panels 3D printed by Toyota Motor North America Research and Development in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The roof panels were contoured to the GR Supra's body lines and the car retains the windshield header and the driver's and passenger's side outer roof body structure shapes. To maintain structural integrity, the team reinforced the roof's outer body structures and added reinforcement underneath from the engine bay to the back of the tub.

With an opportunity to take a new look at some of the Heritage Edition's custom upgrades, the team worked on making the hand-built rear diffuser and underbody airflow more efficient. They also reworked the exhaust and created a new custom setup featuring dual pipes in the center of the rear fascia. Of course, the iconic MKIV rear basket handle wing was also integrated into the decklid, while round taillights complete the MKIV rear treatment. KC's Paint Shop did the final body work and applied numerous coats of BASF paint mixed to exactly match the OEM GR Supra color Absolute Zero White, creating a strikingly flawless finish. The GR Supra Sport Top Edition and GR Supra Heritage Edition share many of the same custom upgrades, but both are visually unique and fitting tributes to past Supra models.

Old 10-29-2021, 12:05 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,477 Likes on 934 Posts
I thought it was a toy model car at first.

That looks really nice.
Old 11-15-2021, 02:33 PM

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/11/12/...l-rumor-again/

Rumors of a manual Toyota Supra are swirling yet again thanks to a report from Japan indicating that production of a 3.0-liter inline-six model with a six-speed could happen a soon as early 2022.

This time, the report comes to us by way of Australia's Drive, who spotted the note on Japanese blog carsensor.net indicating that a manual transmission is on the way for a special GRMN Supra model powered by a high-output version of the car's BMW-engineered 3.0-liter S58. This isn't the first time such rumors have come up, and it probably won't be the last – unless it's true, of course.

As Autoblog previously reported, the coming BMW M3 and M4 will offer a manual transmission with lower-powered trims of the S58 engine, so it's possible the unicorn limited-edition Supra does the same. On the other hand, last May BMW announced a manual transmission for the new Z4 in Europe, that roadster powered by the low-output version of the same 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder sold in the Z4 and the Supra here. Hence the Supra could get a stick shift, but one mated to a four-cylinder and not the six. A left-field option mentioned elsewhere has Toyota securing the 405-hp S55 inline-six from the current M2 Competition, along with that car's six-speed manual, considering the BMW coupe is due for replacement shortly.

We urge you to take this one with a huge grain of salt, as usual, but we can't entirely rule it out either, especially with the looming threat of Nissan's cheaper, manual-transmission Z-car on the horizon.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

Nope... #1 i see 0 reason for Toyota to invest into something that does not sell.
#2. BMW will not give Toyota its M engine that easily... that goes back to the ROI for such move does not make any sense for Toyota.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:05 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,193 Likes on 4,062 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Nope... #1 i see 0 reason for Toyota to invest into something that does not sell.
#2. BMW will not give Toyota its M engine that easily... that goes back to the ROI for such move does not make any sense for Toyota.
Why not? BMW has given them literally everything else already so...

The Supra itself doesn't sell all that well compared to the rest of the lineup but it's more of a halo car for them to advertise with, not a sales leader.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Why not? BMW has given them literally everything else already so...

The Supra itself doesn't sell all that well compared to the rest of the lineup but it's more of a halo car for them to advertise with, not a sales leader.
I dont think BMW has given its M engine to anyone. B58 is 1 thing, S58 is another.

Like i said, it could happen at the right price of course. I dont consider a $50k car a Halo car of any sort. It is just a competitor with the Nissan Z.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:38 PM
Ex-OEM King

I don't think BMW has given any of its engines to others aside from McLaren that one time but here we are.

A $50k halo car for Porsche doesn't make sense but sure does for Toyota.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:31 PM
Team Owner

I don't think BMW has given any of its engines to others aside from McLaren that one time but here we are.

A $50k halo car for Porsche doesn't make sense but sure does for Toyota.
So you are saying BMW is gonna give the S58 to Toyota? I dont see that happening.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:58 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
So you are saying BMW is gonna give the S58 to Toyota? I dont see that happening.
We're certainly going to find out soon enough.
Old 01-06-2022, 10:06 AM

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43768/...lways-deserved

The Mk V Toyota Supra hasn't yet quite delivered on what many fans wanted from the halo sports car. Maligned for its BMW roots and with somewhat polarizing styling, it hasn't entirely won over the automotive world in the way that its predecessor did. If the Orion throwback tail light kit is anything to go by, though, the latest model could definitely benefit by drawing some cues from the much-loved Mk IV.

As reported by CarScoops, the redesigned tail lights were first posted as a rendering by designer Flat Hat3D. The design mimics the tail lights of the A80 Supra, also known as the Mk IV. The layout features four circular lamps, with the innermost serving as the reverse light, the outermost being an amber indicator, and the inner two acting as the brake and tail lamps.

In the Orion kit, LED lighting is used instead of incandescent lamps to replicate the style with a distinctly modern flair. The aftermarket tail lights go a long way to making the car look a lot more like a Supra, especially compared to the relatively generic tail lights the car comes with as stock.

These glorious lights won't just remain as fancy drawings on a computer screen, however. Aftermarket lighting supplier BRZ-ZZZ has begun accepting orders for the Orion tail light package, in both an exposed and covered version. The lights retail for $1200, or $1400 for the exposed version, though the initial run appears to be sold out at this stage. First shipments are expected in early 2022.

It's almost surprising that Toyota didn't go down a similar route itself with the A90 Supra. When Nissan developed the R35 GT-R, it was sure to replicate the four round tail lights made famous on the preceding Skyline models as a nod to the nameplate's storied heritage. The Supra line, which initially started as a trim level of the Celica, hasn't got a huge list of signature styling features. The tail lights could have been one of them.

Toyota hasn't been entirely ignorant of its past, however. The company brought a targa top version to SEMA in 2020 as a throwback to the glorious Aerotop model of the 90s as seen in The Fast and The Furious.

Bringing the Mk IV tail light design into the new model would have gone some way to endearing people to the new model. Of course, the fancy lights may have added more cost and complexity to a model that already sits at a tough price point in the marketplace.

If there's any justice in the world, the Orion tail lights will be a mandatory feature of any new Supra build heading to Auto Salon or SEMA from now on. Bless the aftermarket when it delivers us the lights as they should be.

Old 01-14-2022, 07:18 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
One of the continuing controversies about the revived Toyota Supra takes aim at its lack of a manual transmission. In early 2020, not long after the coupe hit the market, chief engineer Tetsuya Tada repeatedly explained that although his team had tested a manual Supra, there were three main reasons it wouldn't be offered: The eight-speed automatic was faster and better; the automatic could handle more torque, which would reduce gearbox explosions on beastly tunes as happened on previous, tuned Supras; and the Supra needed tech spec daylight between it and the manual-equipped GR86. Manual-loving enthusiasts barely listened. The Tada line they did pay attention to was, "We are open to talking to the sales and marketing teams after everyone experiences [the automatic]. [A manual] is not totally out of the question." So those enthusiasts kept griping about the manual omission. And Tada, being a man of his word, has potentially delivered. According to The Drive, a six-speed manual Supra is on the way, perhaps as soon as this year.

By August of last year there were rumors in Japan that Toyota was preparing a six-speed manual for the Supra. It wasn't clear if the stick would be served up on the base 2.0-liter four-cylinder model or the inline-six cylinder; BMW offers a manual with the Supra's Z4 roadster sibling only on the 2.0-liter-powered sDrive20i. Yet the gearbox rumor came with another rumor that there'd be a special GRMN Supra using the BMW S58 engine in the M3 and M4, a 3.0-liter six-cylinder mated to a six-speed transmission at a reduced tune of 437 hp and 442 pound-feet of torque.

The finer details still live in the dark, but "a source from inside Toyota's dealer network" is said to have told The Drive that Toyota showed a prototype manual transmission Supra at the same Las Vegas dealer event last year where the automaker showed the coming GR Corolla. That source says the row-your-own Supra is confirmed, its arrival date expected to be this year, but uncertain exactly when. And no matter what happens with the 2.0-liter, the gearbox will be available with the inline-six.

If anyone would know what's coming, it would be a dealer. On the other hand, the Toyota Supra is one of those anomalies in that the car only just turned three years old, but the older it gets, the harder it is to figure out what's going on with it. So don't be surprised if it springs a six-speed manual soon. And don't be surprised if it doesn't.
Toyota Supra manual gearbox rumor 'confirmed' (autoblog.com)
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 09:21 AM
Ex-OEM King

If there's a 6MT 6cyl Supra, it will skyrocket to the top of my list for a fun car.
nist7 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 09:35 AM

^ No Z for you? IMO, the Z looks better than the Supra, but suffers from my aversion to Nissan vehicles...
Old 01-14-2022, 10:07 AM
Ex-OEM King

I don't like Nissan anything. They always feel cheap and shitty.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:39 AM

I've never been fond of Nissan products, in part for the parts costs compared to their competitors . The Z & GTR got a pass for the performance, though the 350Z felt mighty cheap inside, for the few that I've been in.
I'll be curious to see the new Z when they start hitting dealers.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:51 AM

Received 2,811 Likes on 1,991 Posts

is it frowned upon to get the 2.0 over the 3.0?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:53 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
I've never been fond of Nissan products, in part for the parts costs compared to their competitors . The Z & GTR got a pass for the performance, though the 350Z felt mighty cheap inside, for the few that I've been in.
I'll be curious to see the new Z when they start hitting dealers.
I honestly don't really even care for the Z. Nissan has ruined everything for me on that front. Even Infiniti products are shit compared to their competitors. The price they ask for the GTR these days is also WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY out of line to both its performance and build quality.
00TL-P3.2 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 11:57 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
^ No Z for you? IMO, the Z looks better than the Supra, but suffers from my aversion to Nissan vehicles...
As much as i prefer the Z from value and 6mt perspective. it is VERY VERY hard to ignore the B58... I dont even care what kind of tuning Nissan did to the VQ30DETT or whatever it is called now. It will not be butter smooth like the B58...
Probably the best i6 BMW ever produced up to date. ( I consider S58 a variant of B58 )

Old 01-14-2022, 12:00 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mizouse

is it frowned upon to get the 2.0 over the 3.0?
Well there is nothing wrong witht he 2.0... but the whole point of the Supra is the B58... if you take that out of the equation, you might as well get something else for that kind of $$...
nist7 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 12:47 PM

Demmit… 3.0 is out of my budget.

dunno what I’d get for 35-45
Old 01-14-2022, 01:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mizouse
Demmit… 3.0 is out of my budget.

dunno what I’d get for 35-45
I dont know kind of car you are looking for. But if i were in the market for a sport/semi-sport car below 45k,

I would take Golf R, WRX (scratch that, fugly), or S3. or even the new Z. Some trims are below 45k.
all are much better than a Supra with BMW's 4 banger from 330i.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 01-14-2022 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:18 PM

I’m all over the place on my thought process on what to replace my 3G TL with.

it’s ranged from like BRZ, S3, Supra 2.0, 4Runner, Miata, C-Class, TLX Aspec or Taco
nist7 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 01:27 PM
Team Owner

you need to have a top 3 must haves and that will help you .

If 6mt is your top priority, then that would remove half of the cars on that list.

4Runner? That thing gets like 14mpg... u sure you up for it at $5 a gallon?

Your inner would tell you to get the C class or the S3... white preferably.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 01-14-2022 at 01:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
Mizouse (01-14-2022), nist7 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 09:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
If there's a 6MT 6cyl Supra, it will skyrocket to the top of my list for a fun car.
Dude....especially if the rumor is true that one of them will be using a de-tuned version of the M3/M4 motor?!?!?....bruh.....that will be extremely exciting....except the markup/availability will be insane.....especially in this market
Old 01-18-2022, 09:30 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,285 Likes on 2,643 Posts
What We Learned After Testing a Toyota Supra Over 40,000 Miles | Car and Driver

Quick Reply: Toyota: Supra News