Toyota: Corolla News

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 02:00 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Toyota: Corolla News

It looks like Honda is taking it on the chin again.

The new Corolla XRS will be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder DOHC engine that produces 170 horsepower and 127 pounds of torque. The engine will deliver a broader and stronger mid-range torque than the previous versions of the 2ZZ engine.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/031106-3.htm

Old 11-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Registered AssHat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not THAT big a fan of lowering, but damn that thing looks like it's ready to go off-roading.

Besides...it's a Corolla. I've driven the latest versions...complete crap. I was REALLY disappointed.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:26 PM
Don't get run over!

Oh wow! I like!

This will be the car I might want to get when I sell my TSX next spring! DOHC VVTL-i....170HP! Finally a real car with power!!!
Old 11-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 2004_Acura_TSX
Oh wow! I like!

This will be the car I might want to get when I sell my TSX next spring! DOHC VVTL-i....170HP! Finally a real car with power!!!
Yeah, looks like it has your name on it.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Co-Owner

Why? 170hp..
Toyota should put Celica GTS 180 hp engine..
if not..use i vtec
Old 11-06-2003, 10:29 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Oh wow! I like!

Are you serious? No seriously are you serious?

BTW Turbobanana (great username) is does have the GT-S engine in it. Just rated lower with a broader tourque band and lower redline.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Toyota Corolla XRS

INFORMATION PROVIDED BY TOYOTA

The all-new Toyota Corolla XRS sport sedan made its world premiere at a press conference today at the 2003 Specialty Equipment Marketing Association (SEMA) Show.
The Corolla XRS will feature a newly tuned version of Toyota's 2ZZ dual overhead cam engine and six-speed manual transmission found in both the Celica GT-S and Corolla Matrix XRS. The increase in power will be complemented by improved ride and handling, thanks to a sport-tuned suspension and new steering improvements.

"With the popularity of the sporty Corolla S, the logical next step was to match its youthful styling with a performance-driven powertrain," said Don Esmond, Toyota Division senior vice president and general manager. "We expect the XRS to follow the course started by the S grade by appealing to younger customers, with an increase in single male buyers."

The new Corolla XRS will be powered by a 1.8-liter four-cylinder DOHC engine that produces 170 horsepower and 127 pounds of torque. The engine will deliver a broader and stronger mid-range torque than the previous versions of the 2ZZ engine. And, it will feature a VVTL-i variable valve timing and lift system that produces a supercharged-like rise in power from 6,000 to 7,800 RPM. The result is a compact sport sedan that blends sub-eight-second zero-to-sixty acceleration with exceptional throttle response throughout its broad power band.

Despite the increase in power, fuel economy is hardly compromised with initial estimates of 25 miles-per-gallon in the city and 32 on the highway.

The XRS features a sport-tuned suspension that includes a front connecting rod damper developed by Yamaha. The damper is mounted between the shock towers to produce improved ride and handling without compromising NVH. In addition to the performance damper, the XRS features increased rate coil springs and shocks on all four wheels for improved roll and pitch, and a ride height that is lower by a full half-inch.

The suspension stands on larger 16-inch aluminum alloy wheels and Michelin performance tires, an upgrade from the standard 15-inch wheels on all other Corolla grades. It is complemented by a steering system that features a more rigid steering column, producing less vibration and improved response. A power steering rack specially developed for the XRS allows for better steering feedback.

The improved performance of the Corolla XRS is accompanied by performance-themed convenience enhancements including sport seats, color-keyed bezel surrounding the grille, silver-colored center cluster and switch plates, a leather-like shift boot with a leather shift knob, and unique badging.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:11 AM
9th Gear

Originally posted by domn
Are you serious? No seriously are you serious?

Yes, he's serious. Over on HAN all he ever does is talk trash about his TSX. None of us get it.

Anyway, I think this is an excellent suprise. I've always liked the looks of the new corollas, but I never thought Toyota would make a move like this. Maybe this will kick Honda into action?
Old 11-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Banned

nice car
Old 11-07-2003, 06:45 AM
Mmmmm...sausage...

170HP VVTL-i, and the speedo only goes to 110MPH? :sqnteek:
Old 11-07-2003, 07:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by rb6teg
Yes, he's serious. Over on HAN all he ever does is talk trash about his TSX. None of us get it.

Anyway, I think this is an excellent suprise. I've always liked the looks of the new corollas, but I never thought Toyota would make a move like this. Maybe this will kick Honda into action?
Sorry where does he talk trash about the TSX? whats HAN?

Its seems like Honda's getting beat at their own game by all these other manf's. You have the SE-R, MazdaSpeed, Lancer Ralliart, SRT-4 and now this XRS. Whats stopping Honda from throwing the 2.0L 160HP engine in the Sedan or Civic Coupe? Could it possibly hurt sales?

On a side note I saw an 04 Civic Sedan this morning coming at me. It looks awesome from the front but the back end just does'nt go with the front styling. The front is rounded while the back just gets chopped off. I was like "nice car" and then "well mybe not". I can't believe we have to suffer through another 2 years of this Civic and 3 more of the Accord. I'm gonna need another car in a couple of years and right now Honda's got nothing that intrests me besides the Element.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:54 AM
Suzuka Master

still boring
Old 11-07-2003, 09:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey toyota :whocares:
Old 11-07-2003, 10:01 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
I thought it was AWD by that wheel clearance.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:09 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,825 Likes on 2,572 Posts
the car is too tall and not wide enough. I just dont dig it.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:37 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Toyota has even worse styling than Honda.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:53 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
good god DROP THAT SHIT
Old 11-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Don't get run over!

I was very happy with my TSX when I picked it up back in May, but it has been nothing but problems now. So many things on the car is either falling apart or doesn't work properly. The local Acura dealer refuses to fix these problems and would charge me for the labor costs even if its covered under warranty. I can deal with the harsh rattling/vibrations and the CD changer jamming. I have a 6 speed manual and the tranny's slipping and my front passenger side window doesn't go up all the way cuz the motor is bad, everytime it rains my car will leak on that side.

Also, the car doesn't seem to have power, one time I took along two of my friends in my car and it wouldn't go on the expressway and I was shocked!

It makes me begin to wonder if this car was rushed because I have never had so many problems with a new car before.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:04 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I was very happy with my TSX when I picked it up back in May, but it has been nothing but problems now. So many things on the car is either falling apart or doesn't work properly. The local Acura dealer refuses to fix these problems and would charge me for the labor costs even if its covered under warranty. I can deal with the harsh rattling/vibrations and the CD changer jamming. I have a 6 speed manual and the tranny's slipping and my front passenger side window doesn't go up all the way cuz the motor is bad, everytime it rains my car will leak on that side.

Also, the car doesn't seem to have power, one time I took along two of my friends in my car and it wouldn't go on the expressway and I was shocked!

It makes me begin to wonder if this car was rushed because I have never had so many problems with a new car before.
Hmmmm, if something is falling apart on the car, the window won't go up, tranny is slipping and the CD changer jams then this should all be fixed under warranty. There's no excure on the dealer's or your part not to have these things fixed. I can't help but think your not being totally honest.

If your dealer won't help go to another. If they don't help, start contacting Acura and let them know whats going on. Don't play or be a victim.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:52 PM
9th Gear

Definitely go to another dealer.......sounds like you've been going to a bad one.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:44 PM
Audi Driving Snob

domn: in the states the civic si does have the 160hp k20a3
Old 11-07-2003, 05:00 PM
Audi Driving Snob

you do realize that the tsx has both better power to weight and torque to weight ratio right?
Old 11-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Cruisin'

Regardless of what kind of car (good or bad) you have, don't be a victim when so many problems are there.

I don't believe contacting Acura is any different. From my past experience dealing with Volkswagon America, get yourself a lawyer to see whether the lemon law applies. Without a lawyer, you are dealing with a bunch of greedy MBAs, Acura or not.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:51 PM
Instructor

Corolla's are tight... those rims need to go though.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

that's interesting...but i find it weird toyota would offer the 2zz with 170hp for the corolla, because TRD already offers a supercharger for the 1zz corolla's/matrices pushing upwards of 170hp and for sure a lot more torque than the 133lb/ft from the 2zz. if i were to get a corolla, i would get a base and buy the TRD supercharger instead of the XRS model, the 2zz is pretty high strung already with high compression, the 1zz platform with supercharger is the way to go, it will cost probably even a bit less than the XRS corolla but better performance from the SC and the improved powerband it provides.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Audi Driving Snob

trd Gotta love those factory warranties. My friend had a tacoma with trd supercharger...halled ass.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TinkySD
domn: in the states the civic si does have the 160hp k20a3
I said Sedan or Coupe. But mainly Sedan would be nice.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Racer

why is this posted...yuck
Old 11-11-2003, 01:59 AM
Da Invisible Man

Originally posted by TurboBanana93
Why? 170hp..
Toyota should put Celica GTS 180 hp engine..
if not..use i vtec
It is Celica's engine. Same 2ZZ-GE engine. ECU and exhaust makes difference
Old 11-11-2003, 06:26 AM

The Corolla is built to incredible levels but IMO, looks like a van. The styling is to thin and too tall with to fat body cladding.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:00 AM
Kabachitare!

High-performance Corolla XRS model coming

2003 SEMA: High-performance Corolla XRS model coming in May

By MARK RECHTIN | Automotive News

LAS VEGAS -- Toyota Division will launch a high-performance version of its Corolla in May.

Toyota says the Corolla already has gained a younger audience with the current Corolla S model, which has more than half of its buyers under age 29. Toyota saw a further opportunity for a Corolla that backed up its performance look with actual performance. The Corolla XRS was approved last year, said Don Esmond, Toyota Division general manager, at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show here this month.

"We've wanted to get into the Honda Civic Si market," Esmond said. "Three years ago, here at SEMA, you wouldn't have seen any of our products. Now you see Scions, Celicas and Matrixes. We're getting our foot in the door."

The Corolla XRS is powered by the same 1.8-liter Yamaha motor that's in the top-end Celica and Matrix, generating 173 horsepower and 127 pounds-feet of torque. The engine power delivery has been slightly remapped from that of the Matrix and Celica, however, to provide more torque in the middle of the rpm range.

A six-speed manual transmission will transfer that power to the pavement. In keeping with the performance angle, Toyota applied a sport-tuned suspension with increased-rate springs and shocks that also lower the vehicle by half an inch. Sixteen-inch wheels and Michelin performance tires are standard.

The interior will be outfitted with sport seats, a leather shift knob and faux-metallic center console and switch plates.

Toyota hopes to sell 5,000 Corolla XRS units a year. All will be built at Toyota's plant in Cambridge, Ontario.

Although pricing has not been set, Esmond said the XRS will cost about $2,500 more than the top-end model. The top of the line 2004 Corolla LE starts at $15,265, including freight.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:55 AM
The hair says it all

that 1.8 liter has a pretty sad torque rating. the only decent thing it has is an insane redline
Old 11-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Teh ?

I think that the corolla just went away from the formula that worked for them back in the early 90's, when they were affordable, reliable cars. It had such a great name recognition. Now, it's priced out of most of it's target market, I mean it's priced like a low market mid size with the looks of a compact. I wish Toyota would get back to the basics with the Corolla.

That being said, I think a performance minded Corolla would be great. Especially if it comees with Toyota reliability.

Junkster, whose mom used to drive a 88 corolla... sniff I miss that car.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:25 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I saw the picture of it in the SEMA thread. Needs a major lowering but I'm all for it. The more choices in the $20k range the better. It would be nice not to have to spend $30k to get a fun car.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:42 AM
The hair says it all

Originally posted by charliemike
I saw the picture of it in the SEMA thread. Needs a major lowering but I'm all for it. The more choices in the $20k range the better. It would be nice not to have to spend $30k to get a fun car.
srt-4
Old 11-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Junkster
I think that the corolla just went away from the formula that worked for them back in the early 90's, when they were affordable, reliable cars. It had such a great name recognition. Now, it's priced out of most of it's target market, I mean it's priced like a low market mid size with the looks of a compact. I wish Toyota would get back to the basics with the Corolla.

That being said, I think a performance minded Corolla would be great. Especially if it comees with Toyota reliability.

Junkster, whose mom used to drive a 88 corolla... sniff I miss that car.
they got the echo and Scion brand to take place of the old corolla's market so they have room to move the corolla upmarket..but i think the materials inside the new corolla is nice..all it needs is a nice slam to the ground and its good to go.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't they already have that Corolla S? Guess its time to put some real power down.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Safety Car

its nice, but a little late to the party and that engine really isn't enough to make the xrs standout from the other mid/high 15's sportcompacts.
Old 11-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally posted by heyitsme
its nice, but a little late to the party and that engine really isn't enough to make the xrs standout from the other mid/high 15's sportcompacts.
True, but it will appeal to people who don't want to gamble and throw down $20k on a Dodge Neon, no matter how fast it goes.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Teh ?

Originally posted by gilboman
they got the echo and Scion brand to take place of the old corolla's market so they have room to move the corolla upmarket..but i think the materials inside the new corolla is nice..all it needs is a nice slam to the ground and its good to go.
Really, you would drive an echo? That thing looks like a tonka toy to me. I liked the looks of the old corollas, simple. And normal families would not opt for a Scion car over a Civic. Well, I would like to see that thing slammed though, would make it look better at least.

Junkster, who likes the look of the xB.

Quick Reply: Toyota: Corolla News