Toyota close to replacing Ford as world's No. 2 automaker

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Toyota close to replacing Ford as world's No. 2 automaker

Kyodo News - May 12, 2003

NEW YORK, May 12, 2003 (Kyodo via COMTEX) -- Toyota Motor Corp. came close to replacing Ford Motor Co. as the world's No. 2 automaker in unit sales in 2002, U.S. weekly newspaper Automotive News reported in its latest edition Monday.

Sales by Japan's largest automaker rose 4.1% to 6.17 million units in 2002, giving it third slot after Ford by a margin of 650,000 units, the newspaper said.

Toyota's sales included those by its group companies such as Daihatsu Motor Co. and Hino Motors Ltd.

General Motors Corp. retained its status as the world's No. 1 automaker with sales of 8.5 million units, Automotive News said.

Among notable developments, South Korea's Hyundai Motor Co. replaced Honda Motor Co. as the world's seventh-largest automaker with sales up by more than 10% to 2.94 million units due to strong sales in North America, according to the newspaper.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great. Now even Hyundai passes Honda. What is the matter with Honda lately?
Old 07-24-2007, 05:55 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Toyota Recall Anxiety Accompanies Toyoda's Drive to President

bumpety, bump, bump...

Akio Toyoda sat on stage as Toyota Motor Corp. President Katsuaki Watanabe introduced nine other executives. When Toyoda's turn came, he made a five-second bow to shareholders gathered in Toyota City, Japan, for the June 22 annual meeting. Two hours later, at a private board meeting, he was named head of Japanese sales.

The second event signaled that Akio, 51, had stepped closer to his destiny as patriarch of a carmaking dynasty that his great- grandfather Sakichi funded and his grandfather Kiichiro started in 1937 by copying General Motors Corp.'s Chevrolets.

Akio's new job presages bigger changes. In seven decades, the Toyodas have driven their company to global dominance. They manufacture vehicles in 27 countries and regions and sell them in more than 170.

They employed 299,394 workers and brought in $197.3 billion in sales in the year ended on March 31, almost double the sales of the same period a decade earlier. Through holdings in 14 Toyota Group suppliers, they oversaw another 126,638 people and $120.2 billion in revenue as of March 31.

In this year's first quarter, Toyota passed GM for the first time to become the world's biggest automaker by unit sales. Toyota sold 2.35 million vehicles -- 88,000 more than GM did. Toyota held on to the lead in the first half, although GM outsold it by 38,000 vehicles in the second quarter.

A dominant Toyota faces unfamiliar challenges. For most of their automaking history, the Toyodas were underdogs struggling against Detroit's juggernaut.....

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a71C.LhT4e0E

It will be interesting to see how Toyota handles their new found Alpha Dog status. I for one, have never been that impressed with their design or technology ~ but you have to admire their manufacturing process.

Everything old becomes new again. Detroit may become so uncool, that they become cool again in the eyes of a new generation... probably not this one.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hyundai is basically the South Korean version of GM. Toyota sees them as the biggest threat right now.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
In all honesty, This is what is happening with toyota, ford and GM. GM has turned it's act around, redoing all of its cars to meet technology and consumer needs for today while bringing some quality and price to the picture. Though the problem lies that the cars are still over-produced and harms the company. Toyota is bringing lower quality cars with a lower cost with in my opinion, odd designs that won't attract customers five years down the line. Lastly, toyota is focused on mass producing now which lead to the fall of american cars, and which most likely will lead to their fall. As far as ford, they are playing games and do not understand what the consumer wants and what they should do. They are just sticking to the old plan, mass producing cars and not doing much to please the consumer, such as sticking a huge gas guzzling 6.4 litre turbocharged motor into a pick-up.....pointless. just my view on things going on.

And by the way here it is for honda:
Honda is just sitting back for now, offering their products according to their respective cycles while still maintaining their quality at a good to ok cost and gas saving ideology that they have kept since they started. But some things that honda hasn't realized is what the consumer entirely wants such as their SPORT luxury division to have a little more power to them.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:06 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Holy old thread revival....

Honda needs to add more excitement to the lineup, and that includes Acura. The only cars that really make me drool are the TL-S, S2000 and Civic Si. And even then the TL-S is being overshadowed by the IS350 and G35, I definitely see the latter two more often on the street. I see more Coopers S' and GTIs than the Si too.

Nice move on putting the K23A1 in the RDX only. I would be on my hands and knees begging to mommy and daddy if they put it in the TSX and gave it AWD....
Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
Holy old thread revival....

I thought it was a timely bump since it was only two years ago that Toyota was surpassing Ford and now they are overtaking GM as the world's largest volume automaker. The article is a pretty interesting read.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50 years ago most people wouldn't believe it. Good job Toyota! Now, please release more exciting Toyotas to the market in the USA, not including Lexus.