Toyota to buy back and crush EVERY Tocoma built since 1995 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Toyota to buy back and crush EVERY Tocoma built since 1995 ???

Read this in another forum. Could this be for real?

Ok...so i work at A-Reliable, we were bought out last year by LKQ which is world wide and well known in the automotive market. We were contacted by Toyota about a week ago and they are paying us 49.9 million dollars to do this for them, they are buying us all sorts of new equipment and supplies to get them this done as soon as possible and as fast and quietly as possible. I just had to share!

Toyota has chosen our company to do the procedures, Toyota has recalled every Tacoma produced from 1995 til present date, they are buying back the trucks from dealers, private owners, auto rebuilders, etc and destroying all of them. They are trying to keep this as quiet as possible, we will be receiving over 125,000 of these truck which will be spread over the entire US to all of the other LKQ yards and our included, we started getting a few in today, there are expected to be about 10,000 coming to our yard and we have 24 hours of the drop of date, to photograph them, drain them, crush them and photograph them again.

They are all being recalled, 4x2's 4x4's, extended cabs, regular cabs, all engine sizes, etc...the frame are rusting out completely on all of them, you can contact you local dealer about having
Toyota buy your truck back for what we have heard is a very decent fair market value for helping in getting them off the road.

Our yard manager picked the first one up to place it in the crusher and it buckled under its own weight...to show you guys who own these or know people still driving them what happens to them and why they are recalling them:
Another member chimed in with:
For the record;

Dealer Communication Letter (From Toyota Corp to all Dealers)
http://www.showstop.org/images/truck...munication.pdf

Warranty Policy Bulletin #POL08-03 (Details about what is covered and VIN ranges)
http://www.showstop.org/images/truck...nty-policy.pdf

Vehicle Inspection Procedure
http://www.showstop.org/images/truck...inspection.pdf

and with that said...

I signed my truck over to ISG last weekend, handed them my title and they slid the $15,274.50 check across the table to me...

My truck was a 1999 Tacoma X-Cab 2.7L 4x4 Auto w/177,000 miles, not a single body panel left undented, leaking tranny/t-case seals, busted cv-boots, and a cracked head after 6 winters of pushing my 6.5' Fisher blade... Since I could not drive it because I was in the middle of a head rebuild, I had it towed to the dealer on March 24th...

Since my daily driver Tacoma is now officially gone it was replaced with the Z28 below that Toyota paid for...

2002 LS1 powered Z28 w/35,000 miles traded in by the original owners who could no longer get in and out of it because they were 80 years old...

I still needed a truck, since camper towing, hauling tools and the 2x4/plywood transport capabilites suck with a Camaro, I purchased this SD two days ago for $17,500...

2001 F350 4x4 XLT Lariat.
I would call :BS: (where's the BS smiley?) BUT I once owned an '83 Toyota 4x4. Awesome little truck that I loved. It would not die but the frame did rust to where it was actually folding in on itself. I took it to a welder to add metal to the frame but he wouldn't touch it; but he did tell me it was a known problem. I ended up selling it to some hunters that were only going to use it for offroad.

Now, no they aren't saying they are going as far back as 1983 like my old 4x4, but still, this would cost Toyota a fortune if it is true.

Anyone else hear of this?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Wasn't it the Tacoma that survived a building implosion on TopSpeed...these things are built to last,
Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i read it in another forum also. i think its true, there are dealers out buying used ones to cash in
Old 05-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Toyota IS buying them back and crushing some, i didnt know it was on such a large scale though
Old 05-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
If true, this has to be one of the largest vehicle issues not to make the news.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Hard to tell, seems like either a very elaborate hoax or something really huge.... highly skeptical. So all of a sudden Tacomas will disappear from the world entirely without any wondering about it? Suuuuure.

Toyota has to put out an official stop to this rumor and someone's gotta try this.... otherwise I don't believe it.

Which forum, and how come the links don't work?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Damn!!

1999 Tacoma w/177,000 miles and he got $15k for it!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
This was posted on a Ford truck forum. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/74...ce-1995-a.html

Your right, the links didn't work They are PDF's, did I need a special tag to post them?

The links work in the forum page above.

Originally Posted by Infamous425
i read it in another forum also. i think its true, there are dealers out buying used ones to cash in
Future collector car?

Originally Posted by phile
Wasn't it the Tacoma that survived a building implosion on TopSpeed...these things are built to last.
Agreed, they are (were ?) great little trucks.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
It's It's not every tacoma since 1995, It's limited to 95-00 tacomas, and toyota is only buying or fixing some at their discretion...

Here's the link to the official press release:

http://www.toyota.com/pdfs/TacomaCus...ortProgram.pdf

Took me 15 seconds to find it... (toyota.com, enter frame in search box, done)...

I fucking hate internet rumors that can be cleared up in 15 seconds with a simple search...
Old 05-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco

Links don't work since they were cut and pasted, instread of quoted and then cut and pasted...

Links are here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...html#post82768

You can't quote the post to get the full links unless you register, and I'm not going to cut and paste 'em one by one (click on link and copy the url from the address bar).
Old 05-17-2008, 10:37 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
$49 million is chump change for a company like Toyota.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Tire
$49 million is chump change for a company like Toyota.
I'd say their shareholders would rather have that $49M as a dividend
Old 05-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I caught the mod flu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I call BS on this...

Anyway, I just traded in an 04 Double Cab, 4x4 w/ 70K miles. Great truck!
Old 05-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
its not total BS.

there's quite a few that toyota has built that are stuck with this problem. in order to prevent lawsuits, they have to buy back all tacomas with this problem. there is a big percentage of tacomas out there with the rust problem that builds up between the cab and trunk bed and there's no fix for it, so they must be bought back to get crushed.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
also, there are quite a few toyota techs local from me that are looking for these tacoma's that are on sale and flipping them back to their dealers.

they buy the ones on sale and then selling it back to the dealer to make a little change out of them. so im pretty sure this is true.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aaronnn
the rust problem that builds up between the cab and trunk bed and there's no fix for it, so they must be bought back to get crushed.
Read the official toyota document on the subject... ( I posted a link to it yesterday).

http://www.toyota.com/pdfs/TacomaCus...ortProgram.pdf

They are going to repair some of them...

Upon confirmation of rust perforation, Toyota will, at its option, repair or repurchase the vehicle.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by aaronnn
also, there are quite a few toyota techs local from me that are looking for these tacoma's that are on sale and flipping them back to their dealers.

they buy the ones on sale and then selling it back to the dealer to make a little change out of them. so im pretty sure this is true.
It's funny, I can't find one cheap 95-00 tacoma on craigslist now, but there were tons of 'em last year...

<=== would like to find a decent 81-83 4x4
Old 05-18-2008, 10:19 AM
luvs redheads!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I owned a 92 and the frame was rusting out as is typical. I figured once the tacomas were being built stateside(what year?) that this would not be an issue. The fact is the steel is cheap japanese "remming" steel which rust and comes off in layers making the frame weak. Think titanic...

Anyways this is sad to hear. But I am glad they are admitting there faults unlike ford etc.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:20 AM

I checked craigslist hoping I'd be able to make a quick buck.... but since it looks like they're repairing some of them.... eh
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Whats sad is that people knock American Car manufacturers for squeaks and rattles, yet they stand by Toyota even when it puts out a shit product. Granted, Toyota is doing something about it, they still need to get the quality back in line instead of resting on their laurels.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman
Whats sad is that people knock American Car manufacturers for squeaks and rattles, yet they stand by Toyota even when it puts out a shit product. Granted, Toyota is doing something about it, they still need to get the quality back in line instead of resting on their laurels.
Please lets not even start with this absolute BS.

Ford and GM to a lesser extent would gladly watch their product than even bother to inspect, much less recall and offer to buy the vehicle back.

Explorer-Firestone fiasco anyone?

Puh-lease. F'ing American car companies can't even begin to "think" about competiting with Toyota quality wise. Yes, they obviously screwed up in certain models, but their willing to fix their mistake, and in a big way. Owners have nothing to complain about - they'll get a handsome cheque, which they can use to a future vehicle purchase of THEIR choice. If anything, this will make more buyers go for Toyota.

Good luck getting a domestic manufacturer to do that.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by vishnus11
Please lets not even start with this absolute BS.

Ford and GM to a lesser extent would gladly watch their product than even bother to inspect, much less recall and offer to buy the vehicle back.

Explorer-Firestone fiasco anyone?

Puh-lease. F'ing American car companies can't even begin to "think" about competiting with Toyota quality wise. Yes, they obviously screwed up in certain models, but their willing to fix their mistake, and in a big way. Owners have nothing to complain about - they'll get a handsome cheque, which they can use to a future vehicle purchase of THEIR choice. If anything, this will make more buyers go for Toyota.

Good luck getting a domestic manufacturer to do that.
The Explorer-Firestone was a special case.... it was a matter of he-said she-said, with Ford putting 26 psi in Firestone tires when Firestone recommended 30-35 psi, among a list of things. This was a dispute between two stubborn companies, neither of which wouldn't admit fault, instead trying to put blame on the other and vice versa. Therefore nothing really got done, at least not in a timely manner.

GM recalls of late have included free repairs... HHR headliner, 3.8L SC V6, etc. what more could you ask for? Its not often that recalls include a check towards a new vehicle. Your post would make sense.... if GM didn't issue recalls at all. This Toyota frame rusting issue is bigger than just a headliner issue.... a number of these Tacomas are no longer safe to drive, which is why they are crushing them. The frame could buckle at the section where the cab meets the bed and wouldn't be good news in the event of an accident.