Tesla: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020 | 12:47 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by biker
Yet, like Tesla, it has a bunch of screens to stare at.
In that case, you guys should see the Byton SUV screens, it’s so big, it’s comical. I agree that large screens may be a distraction. At least in Model 3 it’s tucked away out of line of sight ahead.
Old 02-07-2020 | 10:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by #1 STUNNA
Is SSFTSX autistic?

He has this weird obsession with insignificant facts, he prizes turning radius over everything else. He must think that the Honda e is going to be the best selling car of all time.
do you think Turning radius not important? think all the millions of motor bikes and small cars that sold in congested Asian cities. Tesla Model 3 wont compete.

There are physical buttons for temperature and every thing else. very familiar Honda setup. That screens are for entertainment. you can turn them off. Mirrors are inside.

Old 02-09-2020 | 08:59 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

My only problem with screens instead of mirrors is what happens during/ after rain. In my current cars the rear / surround view cameras are almost useless in a rain storm and the side / center mirrors offer much better views. I know in some luxury cars, the mirrors retract / get covered up when not in use, but that won’t work on side mirrors.
Old 02-09-2020 | 12:06 PM
Safety Car

i am sure implementation of camera technology will be better but the point is Honda has implemented very high technology in Civic Priced car in a very small package with shortest turn radius even on 16 or 17 inch rims.
https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/rev...w-electric-car
But because they are digital they can offer more tricks, like coloured lines when you indicate so you can see if you have space to squeeze into that gap. It's great, at-a-glance, stuff and they also do a good job of reducing the blind spot.
The great thing about the design is that there's a surface to rest your hand or arm on when using the touchscreen displays, so you avoid the sort of bumpy-road mishits that you get in a Range Rover or Audi. Yes, the Honda e makes it easier to use its techy system than some of these premium marques

Old 02-10-2020 | 08:43 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
do you think Turning radius not important? think all the millions of motor bikes and small cars that sold in congested Asian cities. Tesla Model 3 wont compete.

There are physical buttons for temperature and every thing else. very familiar Honda setup. That screens are for entertainment. you can turn them off. Mirrors are inside.
My Subaru Outback has a tighter turning radius than your TSX. What up?
Old 02-10-2020 | 04:20 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
But does it have the same aero during the tight turn? That makes all the difference on how fast you can make that turn
Old 02-10-2020 | 04:51 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
But does it have the same aero during the tight turn? That makes all the difference on how fast you can make that turn
And does it have Michelin tires installed by a French speaking cowboy?
The following users liked this post:
#1 STUNNA (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020 | 11:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
2G TSX turning circle is several feet shorter than 1G TSX.
just deduct several feet from it. this how correct calculation at body and at the wheel.
https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/cars/medi...specifications
Old 02-11-2020 | 06:49 PM
Team Owner

just deduct several feet from it. this how correct calculation at body and at the wheel.
several feet shorter? damn.... if you ever need to out run the Police, all you need to do is bust an U.
#1 STUNNA (02-11-2020)
Old 02-13-2020 | 10:40 PM

Turning radius aside, not all is roses in the Tesla world:

https://thenextweb.com/cars/2020/02/...-alec-model-s/

Kind of scummy how the owner’s vehicle got the features back pretty quickly after the media shitstorm.

Still have my reservations about EVs in general, and Tesla has some way to go. Who would have thought DRM would be a thing for cars though?

The other horror stories I’ve read are when a Tesla gets into an accident and is in the shop for months, waiting for parts or the lone certified technician that can fix them.

Would be great to see another American automakers succeed while doing things differently, but they’re still going through growing pains
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
Comfy (02-14-2020), RPhilMan1 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020 | 07:55 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Costco

Kind of scummy how the owner’s vehicle got the features back pretty quickly after the media shitstorm.

Still have my reservations about EVs in general, and Tesla has some way to go. Who would have thought DRM would be a thing for cars though?

The other horror stories I’ve read are when a Tesla gets into an accident and is in the shop for months, waiting for parts or the lone certified technician that can fix them.

Would be great to see another American automakers succeed while doing things differently, but they’re still going through growing pains
Exactly. I heard original story and was wondering what Tesla was going to do. I’m glad they did the right thing.
Old 02-17-2020 | 09:46 AM
Ex-OEM King

From your link:
2G TSX: 5.8m = 19.02ft
Outback: 18.05ft

This is YOUR information and you are, as usual, wrong.

So it has a foot tighter turning radius, it's also faster to 60, probably to 30, probably from a roll too, and a WAY shorter braking distance. Also carries more stuff, has more driven wheels, more interior room, better resale value...really in any measurable way, it's better than a TSX.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 02-17-2020 at 09:54 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SamDoe1:
00TL-P3.2 (02-17-2020), civicdrivr (02-25-2020), Comfy (02-18-2020)
Old 02-17-2020 | 10:36 AM

Old 02-17-2020 | 12:40 PM

Turning radius of a TSX and Outback has nothing to do with Tesla news in any way.

Keep it on topic guys.
The following 2 users liked this post by Costco:
00TL-P3.2 (02-17-2020), charliemike (02-17-2020)
Old 02-24-2020 | 02:04 PM
AZ Community Team

How Elon Musk Took Tesla To Hell And Back With The Model 3

Long, but good history of Tesla.
Comfy (02-28-2020)
Old 02-24-2020 | 02:25 PM
Sanest Florida Man

it was ok
Mizouse (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020 | 02:51 PM

I seent it too. It was only ok.

CNBC has been known to push the doom of Tesla
#1 STUNNA (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020 | 04:00 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Way too much focus on the short term negative stories and tweets that mean nothing now, and less focus on the core fundamentals of the company that are vastly better than the competition. CNBC still doesn't get it, lots of false balance in that video. I liked that they talked to the original founders though
Old 02-25-2020 | 11:53 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Tesla Climbs in Consumer Reports Auto Ranking Topped by Porsche

Tesla Inc’s electric cars raced up Consumer Reports’s latest auto brand rankings, inching closer to leader Porsche.

Tesla jumped eight spots -- more than any other brand -- to No. 11 in an annual reportbased on road tests, reliability data, owner satisfaction surveys and safety performance. Consumer Reports ranked Tesla higher than any U.S. brand and made the Model 3 sedan a top pick for the first time, a designation the nonprofit bestows to only 10 cars, SUVs and trucks per year.

“The vehicles perform phenomenally,” Jake Fisher, senior director of automotive testing, said of Teslas in a phone interview. “People just love these vehicles.”

Consumer Reports' Best Auto Brands

Porsche ranks highest, Tesla gains most in annual report

The acclaim is a major coup for Elon Musk, who eschews the traditional advertising that costs major automakers billions. Many car buyers consult Consumer Reports for big-ticket purchases because it’s built a reputation for thorough and meticulous testing. The organization buys all the vehicles it tests and doesn’t accept any marketing dollars from manufacturers.

The Model 3 didn’t perform as well when it first launched in 2017 because, as with the Model S sedan, Tesla was making regular changes to the car on the fly, Fisher said. While the company made some tweaks using over-the-air software updates, others involved changes to hardware that tend to cause problems with reliability. Those cars have stabilized and continue to help the brand overcome poor scores for the Model X sport utility vehicle.

Porsche climbed two spots in the rankings to knock Subaru out of first place, though two of the Japanese brand’s models were top picks: the Forester SUV and Legacy sedan. Toyota Motor Corp. dominated those honors by winning four designations with its namesake models -- the Supra sports car, Avalon sedan, Prius hybrid and Corolla small car -- and one with Lexus for the RX SUV.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ource=url_link

Last edited by Comfy; 02-25-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-25-2020 | 12:46 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Mizouse
I seent it too. It was only ok.

CNBC has been known to push the doom of Tesla
Way too much focus on the short term negative stories and tweets that mean nothing now, and less focus on the core fundamentals of the company that are vastly better than the competition. CNBC still doesn't get it, lots of false balance in that video. I liked that they talked to the original founders though
It was produced by a group of non-Koolaid drinking people who aren't fanboys and produced a honest realistic documentary that fanboys may not like or give excuses for.
I get the Tesla appeal and their tech approach which is still superior at the moment but still have lots of support issues. Still curious where they'll go and windup, interesting ride no matter what.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-25-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2020 | 01:06 PM

Hey. I ain’t no tesla fanboy.

i resent that comment
Old 02-25-2020 | 01:19 PM
registered pw

Our closest dealer is probably Philly or Baltimore. I did a car search locally to see if any of the dealers carried them, and they don't. You can get them through carvana, but i am sure the repair shops are so rare. I can understand why a dealer wouldn't offer much as a trade or want to take it as a a trade to put on their lot.
Originally Posted by Costco

Old 02-26-2020 | 10:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Mizouse
Hey. I ain’t no tesla fanboy.

i resent that comment
Wasn't implying it but I had only watched the first ~10 minutes of that ~40 minute CNBC doc. I watched the remaining and thought CNBC did a good documenting the good, the bad and the ugly at Tesla.
I have mixed feelings about Tesla, they've done mostly amazing things but also some bad things as well for owners.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 02-26-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Mizouse (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020 | 11:28 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I still have this burning question about tesla batteries. Who owns them? It seems like several different Corporations such as Panasonic, LG chem, CATL , etc are supplying batteries to Tesla. Then why are they called Tesla’s batteries?
I always hear that Tesla’s battery tech is superior, but if Tesla isn’t making those themselves then that isn’t a valid statement anymore. The other firms can supply the same batteries to anyone else, can’t they?
I understand that they are making the batteries in Tesla factories. So my question is, does Tesla gives them some patented technology to work with exclusively for Tesla’s use? In that scenario I understand you can call them tesla batteries.
I believe Tesla has acquired some battery technology firms but they’re not making any tesla branded batteries yet, correct? Somebody please make some sense to me.
Old 02-27-2020 | 08:06 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Aside from the environmental impact and worker exploitation of the rare metal mining, what happens to all these batteries when they get to the end of their life? Are we going to pay some poor country to be full of dead batteries?
Old 02-27-2020 | 08:29 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Comfy
I still have this burning question about tesla batteries. Who owns them? It seems like several different Corporations such as Panasonic, LG chem, CATL , etc are supplying batteries to Tesla. Then why are they called Tesla’s batteries?
I always hear that Tesla’s battery tech is superior, but if Tesla isn’t making those themselves then that isn’t a valid statement anymore. The other firms can supply the same batteries to anyone else, can’t they?
I understand that they are making the batteries in Tesla factories. So my question is, does Tesla gives them some patented technology to work with exclusively for Tesla’s use? In that scenario I understand you can call them tesla batteries.
I believe Tesla has acquired some battery technology firms but they’re not making any tesla branded batteries yet, correct? Somebody please make some sense to me.
My understanding is that they have a patented battery chemistry that their suppliers are contracted to use to manufacture for them and only them. So while LG Chem may also be producing batteries for other automakers, they are producing different batteries. Tesla is in the business of designing and engineering batteries, not necessarily in the manufacturing process of them (at least, not by themselves).
Old 02-27-2020 | 10:51 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by fiatlux
My understanding is that they have a patented battery chemistry that their suppliers are contracted to use to manufacture for them and only them. So while LG Chem may also be producing batteries for other automakers, they are producing different batteries. Tesla is in the business of designing and engineering batteries, not necessarily in the manufacturing process of them (at least, not by themselves).
I see. But here’s my point. If they already have the technology (researched by themselves) and own an available factory to manufacture the batteries, why hire a third party firm at all? What are they gaining by involving Panasonic and LG chem?
Old 02-27-2020 | 11:04 AM
Ex-OEM King

Didn't Tesla make all of their patents open to the public?
Old 02-27-2020 | 11:32 AM
Sanest Florida Man

It's Tesla's recipe they're just having other people cook it
Old 02-27-2020 | 11:54 AM
AZ Community Team

These two videos do a excellent explanation of Tesla's battery chemistry and their overall battery integration (packs, electrical distribution, thermal management, capacity, overall drain/charge management called Tesla BMS ). IMO, Tesla is still the leader in overall EV battery tech and their motor design and electronics (including their own custom ASIC's).

These two video's explain Tesla's batteries very well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
#1 STUNNA (02-27-2020), Comfy (02-28-2020)
Old 02-27-2020 | 12:01 PM
Sanest Florida Man

However Tesla has all but confirmed that they're going to start making their own batteries. There's hints all over the place out in the open that that's part of what they'll announce in April
Old 02-27-2020 | 12:04 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Tesla is going to get rid of the battery modules that are currently in the packs since they're vestigial components that go back to the day of the OG Roadster. There's been no need for them since then. That should free up more space, reduce weight, improve battery pack energy density and reduce costs.

Elon also talked about getting rid of the top cover of the battery pack since it's not needed when the underside of the cabin is covered. He said the top cover was expensive and difficult to install. So getting rid of that would also reduce weight, improve battery pack energy density, reduce cost, and reduce install time.

Last edited by #1 STUNNA; 02-27-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2020 | 01:36 PM
Sanest Florida Man

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
These two videos do a excellent explanation of Tesla's battery chemistry and their overall battery integration (packs, electrical distribution, thermal management, capacity, overall drain/charge management called Tesla BMS ). IMO, Tesla is still the leader in overall EV battery tech and their motor design and electronics (including their own custom ASIC's).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGFiaWvD-KI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdUqQZC2dcE

These two video's explain Tesla's batteries very well.
Great videos!
Old 02-28-2020 | 08:57 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Tesla is going to get rid of the battery modules that are currently in the packs since they're vestigial components that go back to the day of the OG Roadster. There's been no need for them since then. That should free up more space, reduce weight, improve battery pack energy density and reduce costs.

Elon also talked about getting rid of the top cover of the battery pack since it's not needed when the underside of the cabin is covered. He said the top cover was expensive and difficult to install. So getting rid of that would also reduce weight, improve battery pack energy density, reduce cost, and reduce install time.
If he can do new batteries that don’t destroy the environment now or when they are toast, he has my money.
Comfy (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020 | 09:04 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Right now the shares are taking a bath in the corona sh**. Hopefully will have a clearer picture in the next few weeks.
Old 02-28-2020 | 01:11 PM

Well panasonic also said they’re gonna end their partnership as soon as May. So
Old 02-28-2020 | 03:20 PM
Sanest Florida Man

For Solar in Buffalo
Old 02-28-2020 | 03:33 PM

Old 02-28-2020 | 10:41 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIt8WuEQntY

Long, but good history of Tesla.
Wow, Finally got time to watch the whole thing. That was a really good video showing what Tesla is about in a nutshell. I liked that they showed the good part, dark part, as well as the growing pains / human side of Tesla (and Elon) in a balanced way. Very entertaining to watch. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2020 | 11:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

My only problem with screens instead of mirrors is what happens during/ after rain. In my current cars the rear / surround view cameras are almost useless in a rain storm and the side / center mirrors offer much better views. I know in some luxury cars, the mirrors retract / get covered up when not in use, but that won’t work on side mirrors.
Seems like Honda thought about potential issues already. If you look at the side mirror (camera) closely, you will see the lens itself is actually "tugged" in rather than sticking out like most backup cam. It also points to the back rather than pointing downward. Honda said the housing is designed to prevent water drops on the lens and there's a water-repellent coating on the lens surfaces to deter any residual water build up. The system is also designed to prevent glare.

Here's an official video from Honda specifically on the side camera mirror system:

Quick Reply: Tesla: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News