Scion: xB news **Discontinued (page 4)**

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
I Know Right?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
Loving the gauge position really has nothing to do with it, most won't like it, and it points towards cheap cars - all cars are in a chain from the top down to the bottom.
Obviously it wasn't a sticking point to prevent the vehicle's success. Why else would Scion abandon their original philosophy of completely getting rid of a model after its cycle and creating something completely new? Obviously the xB has sold exceptionally well enough to merit taking the model to the next level, center gauges and all.

If you weren't aware, Scions are supposed to be inexpensive cars.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by driver centric
Obviously it wasn't a sticking point to prevent the vehicle's success. Why else would Scion abandon their original philosophy of completely getting rid of a model after its cycle and creating something completely new? Obviously the xB has sold exceptionally well enough to merit taking the model to the next level, center gauges and all.

If you weren't aware, Scions are supposed to be inexpensive cars.
If you weren't aware, there were inexpensive cars before scions and they managed to have gauges on the side the driver sits on. And Scion Flip Flopping on their own marketing idea with name changes is their own screw up, has nothing to do with sales. Its like Honda Flip Flopping on the double wishbone suspension.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Infamous425
the 38 inches of rear legroom doesnt hurt either
The unusual look and the incredible rear legroom are the two biggest deciding factors for me.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you weren't aware, there were inexpensive cars before scions and they managed to have gauges on the side the driver sits on. And Scion Flip Flopping on their own marketing idea with name changes is their own screw up, has nothing to do with sales. Its like Honda Flip Flopping on the double wishbone suspension.
What was the "Flip Flop"?
Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
I Know Right?

If the gauges bother you that much, don't buy the car. Can it be any more simple? Obviously, they didn't bother that many people or keep them from seeing the true merits of the vehicle beyond where the gauges are. If they did, Scion wouldn't be keeping the xB around for a second generation with the same gauge setup. If you think that has nothing to do with sales, you clearly stand to learn more about this market.

Last edited by driver centric; 02-01-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Pro

Old 02-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I actually like the red one. But the other one, wow...and not in a good way.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I Know Right?

Hmm definitely...not what I was expecting. The xD reminds me of the Nissan Versa. I'll have to check them out in person.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:29 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by corey415

Are these official pics? Is that the xb and xd?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:33 PM
I Know Right?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Well...from those pics I gotta say
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Ugh... ugly... The old xB was alot better....
Old 02-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The new xB looks better than the previous generation model. Good job Toyota.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Source: autoweek.nl

Old 02-08-2007, 03:12 AM
Racer

Uhhh...they should have just brought over the JDM Bb and called it a day. Since the pictures of the Daihatsu version were put up, does that mean that's going to be our production vehicle? The shots of the concept from the Miami focus session had different tails tho...
Old 02-08-2007, 03:28 AM
Racer

I also realized, that the hood is longer than the Bb/Coo/Materia...although keeping the same body. I'm assuming this is for a larger 4-banger? It kind's kind of like the NA Fit's Snout vs. the world's Fit/Jazz Snub...x10.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
The new xB is 1000000x times better than the old shoebox.

glad they're finally putting curves on that car.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Banned

Amazing... I didn't think it could get uglier.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aesir11
You read my mind. Those little things are horrible, IMO. It always amazes me when I see one on the road.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Race Director

Wish they would refresh the Tc also and see how that will look like.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

That new Xb is a mess!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Pro

I find it interesting that the new xB will get the 2.4L engine from the tC. Should be a marked improvement.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:24 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Where is it stated that it's getting a 2.4?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:03 PM
I Know Right?

Here:

Originally Posted by cars.com
Time to get that paper route, kids — the next Scion xB is here. The boxy original helped spur widespread interest in the brand during Scion's 2003 launch, and by the looks of it, parent company Toyota doesn't want to mess with a good thing. The redesigned xB looks much like the iconic original; notable upgrades include a substantially larger engine and four additional airbags. Both updates should address the two biggest drawbacks of the previous xB: It was woefully underpowered and short on safety features.

With its new engine, the xB becomes a credible competitor for Honda's similarly styled Element. Unlike the Element, which can manage light off-roading, the xB does not offer all-wheel drive.

Exterior
Drawing cues from the t2B concept Scion displayed at the 2005 New York Auto Show, the four-door xB's face is a little more sloped than that of its predecessor. The headlights include distinct bezels, and a gill sits ahead of each bumper — an interesting touch, even if it's purely cosmetic.

In an effort to give the xB a smoother chassis and sportier road manners, Scion increased its wheelbase by four inches and its overall length by a foot. Ride height is 1 inch lower than the previous generation, and the wheels now measure 16 inches.

Interior
The xB's five-seat interior offers an abundance of storage and audio features. Thanks to the lengthened exterior, cargo room behind the second row is up to 29.1 cubic feet, which is 4 cubic feet more than the Element. A fixed tray under the rear seats can stow smaller items. A 60/40-split folding rear seat accommodates larger cargo, and the front seats fully recline for impromptu naps.

Up front, the center-mounted gauges include a trip computer displaying gas mileage, outside temperature and more. The standard six-speaker Pioneer stereo has an auxiliary jack for MP3 players, whose track lists display through the stereo's faceplate. An optional stereo upgrade includes a customizable faceplate that can show various images and even short video clips.

Standard features include remote keyless entry, air conditioning, steering-wheel audio controls, and power windows, door locks and mirrors.

Under the Hood
Toyota's workhorse 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine is standard. It makes 158 horsepower and 162 pounds-feet of torque, a healthy 53 percent increase over last year's 1.5-liter engine. A five-speed manual transmission is standard, while a four-speed automatic with a manual-shift provision is optional.

Safety
Four-wheel-disc antilock brakes, traction control and an electronic stability system are standard. So are six airbags, including side-impact airbags for the front seats and side curtain airbags for both rows.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Are these official pics? Is that the xb and xd?
Which is the xB and which is the xD?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I Know Right?

Originally Posted by BuddySol
Uhhh...they should have just brought over the JDM Bb and called it a day.
I'm glad they didn't....the whole JDM thing is so tired. I got sick of seeing everyone on the Scion forums talk about "look at my bB this or look at my bB that!" Thank god this version will not be sold in Japan.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:17 PM
I Know Right?

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Which is the xB and which is the xD?
The xB is the blue/silver one. The xD is red.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what's the point of 2 different models that look almost identical?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,660 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by aesir11
Toyota: Master at defying the odds!
Old 02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by danny25
what's the point of the entire BMW lineup
Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 PM
I Know Right?

Originally Posted by danny25
Even if they look similar, keep in mind that the xB is bigger and has about 30 more horsepower than the xD.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Even if they look similar, keep in mind that the xB is bigger and has about 30 more horsepower than the xD.
My question is why the Xa and Xd?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Safety Car

I'm glad they didn't....the whole JDM thing is so tired. I got sick of seeing everyone on the Scion forums talk about "look at my bB this or look at my bB that!" Thank god this version will not be sold in Japan.

Why would something like that bother you? Your logic of looking at a car in general makes no sense. Who cares if people like to name their car the same as it is in Japan.

In reality, I think the JDM Bb is what Scion buyers realy wanted, same old small ass vehicle with a small engine and edgy looks. Toyota built a new XB based on what they think americans want, a bigger suv, with a bigger engine.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Racer

Hmmm...these don't look so horrible:

But stockwise it's not the greatest looking car:

I think I'd take the JDM interior over this one:

Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 PM
I Know Right?

Why would something like that bother you? Your logic of looking at a car in general makes no sense. Who cares if people like to name their car the same as it is in Japan.

In reality, I think the JDM Bb is what Scion buyers realy wanted, same old small ass vehicle with a small engine and edgy looks. Toyota built a new XB based on what they think americans want, a bigger suv, with a bigger engine.

Why does it matter to you if it bothers me? I got tired of seeing everyone becoming obsessed about turning their xB into a bB (note, it isn't XB or Bb). I don't think it's groundbreaking if you just decide to buy every Japanese market part you can find for your car just for the sake of having Japanese market parts. I don't think it's that creative of a way to go about modifying a car. But hell, they're not my cars and people can do what they want. I'm still glad there is no Toyota version of this car, that way, maybe people will actually have to put some thought into what route they want to take when they start modding it instead of putting on their JDM blinders when they shop for parts.

As far as not giving American buyers what they want, Toyota didn't get on pace to become the biggest automaker on the planet by making a lot of stupid decisions. I'm sure they arrived at this design after many hours of thought and millions spent in market research. If it turns out they were wrong, and there is little interest in this vehicle (which I highly, highly doubt) they are more than well equipped to rectify the mistake.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I Know Right?

Originally Posted by charliemike
My question is why the Xa and Xd?
If you're questioning why they dropped the xA name in favor of xD, it is probably because the xA was the least successful of the first generation models. I can understand why they would want to move away from that name for this new vehicle. It would seem that xC would be the next name in the logical sequence but that likeness was already owned by Volvo and used on the XC90 SUV.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Racer

Why does it matter to you if it bothers me? I got tired of seeing everyone becoming obsessed about turning their xB into a bB (note, it isn't XB or Bb). I don't think it's groundbreaking if you just decide to buy every Japanese market part you can find for your car just for the sake of having Japanese market parts. I don't think it's that creative of a way to go about modifying a car. But hell, they're not my cars and people can do what they want. I'm still glad there is no Toyota version of this car, that way, maybe people will actually have to put some thought into what route they want to take when they start modding it instead of putting on their JDM blinders when they shop for parts.

As far as not giving American buyers what they want, Toyota didn't get on pace to become the biggest automaker on the planet by making a lot of stupid decisions. I'm sure they arrived at this design after many hours of thought and millions spent in market research. If it turns out they were wrong, and there is little interest in this vehicle (which I highly, highly doubt) they are more than well equipped to rectify the mistake.
I really do not have a problem with JDM itself, I mean it's what inspired the whole import scene in the first place. Back then, your exhausts and engine mods could only be found there. At most, when it came to exteriors it was clear corners and sidemarkers. Now a days, indeed JDM has gotten a little out of hand to the point of people doing RHD conversions and those "beginner driver"/"eldery driver" decals...I mean come on, are you serious? I just feel this design was a let down seeing as what it could have been.

I suppose us Americans needed that extra foot of space and a bigger engine, which I commend Toyota/Scion for listening to their customers and responding so fast. IMO, they should have just let the xB name die, as planned, if they weren't going to bring over the 3rd gen bB (it's 3rd right?) and called this something else because I'm sure many xB die hards are wondering, "WHY SCION?!"
Old 02-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Racer

If you're questioning why they dropped the xA name in favor of xD, it is probably because the xA was the least successful of the first generation models. I can understand why they would want to move away from that name for this new vehicle. It would seem that xC would be the next name in the logical sequence but that likeness was already owned by Volvo and used on the XC90 SUV.
Wasn't it also because of Scion's original plan was to limit models to 3-4 years, with a R.S. for each year. Once that was done, they would create a whole new model, No next generation, just an entirely different car building upon the limited edition of each model. Which is how the xA became the xD. I'm guessing the surprising success the xB had, which basically built Scion's image, is why it's name didn't change. This is all stuff I heard milling about various automotive forums when speculation started surfacing about the fate of the xA and xB last year.

I wonder how costly that would be though...registering new names every couple years? Scion would end up with a library of model names that no car manufacturer could ever use! hahaha.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I Know Right?

Originally Posted by BuddySol
I really do not have a problem with JDM itself, I mean it's what inspired the whole import scene in the first place. Back then, your exhausts and engine mods could only be found there. At most, when it came to exteriors it was clear corners and sidemarkers. Now a days, indeed JDM has gotten a little out of hand to the point of people doing RHD conversions and those "beginner driver"/"eldery driver" decals...I mean come on, are you serious? I just feel this design was a let down seeing as what it could have been.

I suppose us Americans needed that extra foot of space and a bigger engine, which I commend Toyota/Scion for listening to their customers and responding so fast. IMO, they should have just let the xB name die, as planned, if they weren't going to bring over the 3rd gen bB (it's 3rd right?) and called this something else because I'm sure many xB die hards are wondering, "WHY SCION?!"
You make good points about the origin of the JDM fad. I also agree about it just getting out of hand. All I'd see on the Scion forum was bB this, bB that....it stopped being unique after like 15 minutes. At times I felt like I was the only one at meets proud to have Scion badges on my car, lol. You're definitely right about people being unhappy about this next-gen xB...but I read a good post on the forum that this thing wouldn't really be an xB unless some people hated it. But I think this model will grow on people just as the old one did. As far as keeping the name, I can't really say I would have preferred it either way.

And yes it was Scion's original plan to just drop aging models and replace them with something completely new. The xB was probably popular enough that it justified keeping the name around and trying to improve on things people said could use work. That and the name thing you mention are probable reasons we're seeing this car stick around for another run.

Last edited by driver centric; 02-10-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Safety Car

Toyota can become as big as they want, but they are hardly the best at appealing to small niche markets, ala mini cooper, civic si, vw gti, mazda speed 3, shelby cobra, vette z06, etc. Toyota whether its scion or not is generic. You'd think the Scion brand would be going the route of the dodge razor at this point, but its not. The interiors suck and the exteriors are saved with 18" wheels and body kits, the engines are a joke even with this new super charger. That was TC power years ago, today it means even less. Thanks Scion for super charging the xB with the Tc engine, even though the xb is pig heavier now.

Quick Reply: Scion: xB news **Discontinued (page 4)**