Notices

Porsche: 911 News

 
Old 06-28-2005, 10:59 AM
  #161  
Burn some dust here
 
cob3683's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Atlanta
Age: 36
Posts: 5,709
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
The E46 M3 makes 333hp with its inline 6........so while 380hp is impressive.

Its not like OMG impressive, especially since its a new updated model and costs $100k.
Agree here too. There are other unbelievable engines under $60,000 but what BMW did with the M3 is remarkable. The new M3 with the V8 will be a hoss but it won't have that feeling that the current and older models had.
cob3683 is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 11:16 AM
  #162  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
that is true - but tell me another production car (or any car for that matter) that is making 380hp out of a 3.8L N/A 6... hell displacement doesn't matter..... tell me any N/A 6 cylinder that is making 380hp...
I cant think of one. But why is that even a question?

Assuming all other factors except peak hp constant, make 380 HP off of a 19 cylinder engine or a one cylinder engine. It's still 380HP in the end.
gavriil is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 11:27 AM
  #163  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,980
Received 7,397 Likes on 3,970 Posts
Originally Posted by Beltfed
The E46 M3 makes 333hp with its inline 6........so while 380hp is impressive.

Its not like OMG impressive, especially since its a new updated model and costs $100k.
ok then the 400hp+ GT3 will be OMG impressive... right? :P

I'm impressed by 380hp out of this car, just like I am impressed by the 333hp out of the M3. My point is we are talking about a very exclusive crowd here, there aren't many - and it is impressive for a 3.8L 6 to make just about as much as a 5.7L V8 such as the '01 Z06, for instance...
srika is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 11:28 AM
  #164  
Pit Stop?
 
Minch00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orlando FL
Age: 33
Posts: 13,526
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always like the Carerra 4S the best, other than the Turbo. But to get 380HP..........
Minch00 is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 11:32 AM
  #165  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,980
Received 7,397 Likes on 3,970 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
I cant think of one. But why is that even a question?

Assuming all other factors except peak hp constant, make 380 HP off of a 19 cylinder engine or a one cylinder engine. It's still 380HP in the end.
this 911 is the highest output normally aspirated 6 cylinder offered to the public, ever. I guess I'm impressed by different things than you and Beltfed... which is fine.

and, I can't make sense out of your reference to making 380hp out of a 19 cylinder engine, at all... we're obviously on different wavelengths here. And that is fine.
srika is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 11:43 AM
  #166  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
this 911 is the highest output normally aspirated 6 cylinder offered to the public, ever. I guess I'm impressed by different things than you and Beltfed... which is fine.

and, I can't make sense out of your reference to making 380hp out of a 19 cylinder engine, at all... we're obviously on different wavelengths here. And that is fine.
Let me try to explain it a different way:

It is impressive from certain angles, but none of these angles are of substance.

Does it make better sense now? Substance is 380HP, substance is not, 380HP from half a cylinder and 30cc.
gavriil is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 11:55 AM
  #167  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,980
Received 7,397 Likes on 3,970 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
Let me try to explain it a different way:

It is impressive from certain angles, but none of these angles are of substance.

Does it make better sense now? Substance is 380HP, substance is not, 380HP from half a cylinder and 30cc.
that's subjective.
srika is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 02:34 PM
  #168  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
that's subjective.
How so?

On the contrary actually. What's subjective is to be impressed by specific power. Power divided by displacement. In this case 380HP from 3.8 liters. What is not subjective at all though is the absolute power. In this case 380HP.

Am I wrong?
gavriil is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 03:07 PM
  #169  
Registered Member
 
DownUnder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 2,054
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
that is true - but tell me another production car (or any car for that matter) that is making 380hp out of a 3.8L N/A 6... hell displacement doesn't matter..... tell me any N/A 6 cylinder that is making 380hp...
Actually there are N/A 6cyl engines making 400HP and more out there. The TVR Sagaris/Tuscan/T400R with an N/A 4.0L I6 makes 400HP. And the TVR T440R makes 440HP from an N/A 4.2L I6.

Too bad they don't sell those over here.
DownUnder is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 04:40 PM
  #170  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,980
Received 7,397 Likes on 3,970 Posts
^^^ ahhhh... very very good. those engines are INCREDIBLE!!!!
srika is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 04:41 PM
  #171  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,980
Received 7,397 Likes on 3,970 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
How so?

On the contrary actually. What's subjective is to be impressed by specific power. Power divided by displacement. In this case 380HP from 3.8 liters. What is not subjective at all though is the absolute power. In this case 380HP.

Am I wrong?
it's subjective to say something is impressive, and something isn't.

i.e. something can be unimpressive to one person but impressive to another... for instance you have been impressed by things I find unimpressive before here, and vice versa
srika is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 04:53 PM
  #172  
goldmemberererer
 
goldmemberer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West Hills, CA
Posts: 1,736
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
Originally Posted by gavriil
How so?

On the contrary actually. What's subjective is to be impressed by specific power. Power divided by displacement. In this case 380HP from 3.8 liters. What is not subjective at all though is the absolute power. In this case 380HP.

Am I wrong?
it's subjective to say something is impressive, and something isn't.

i.e. something can be unimpressive to one person but impressive to another... for instance you have been impressed by things I find unimpressive before here, and vice versa
Gav says - Power is power.
Srika says - How the power is made is more impressive than the figure itself.

Nothin' wrong with either. Personally, I don't care as much about HP/liter as I do about how much car I can buy for the dollar.

Yes, this H6 is an impressive engine. So are the TVR powerplants. But who cares? Give me a free revving V8 like the new Z06's that has a better balance of HP and TQ in a chasis that can hold its own against the 911 for $30k less and I won't complain.
goldmemberer is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 06:09 PM
  #173  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
it's subjective to say something is impressive, and something isn't.

i.e. something can be unimpressive to one person but impressive to another... for instance you have been impressed by things I find unimpressive before here, and vice versa
Srika no doubt to be impressed or not is 100% subjective. But there is a clear non-subjective, that is, 100% objective issue at stake here, which you are missing or deliberately trying to. And that is absolute power. Absolute power is as objective as anything can get. If you have two cars making 100HP, they are both making 100HP and that's what's going to show when they race or when they cruise. HOW they make 100HP, from how many cylinders, etc. is the subjective part. And that I do not and cannot argue. You though are avoiding the absolute power argument. I will ask again: Am I wrong?
gavriil is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 06:16 PM
  #174  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goldmemberer

Gav says - Power is power.
Srika says - How the power is made is more impressive than the figure itself.
Correct!


Originally Posted by goldmemberer

Nothin' wrong with either. Personally, I don't care as much about HP/liter as I do about how much car I can buy for the dollar.
Which indirectly means that you do care about the absolute power factor. Which is to be expected and it makes total sense. That's my argument.

Originally Posted by goldmemberer

Yes, this H6 is an impressive engine. So are the TVR powerplants. But who cares?
You're getting closer to my argument and to the objective point.

Originally Posted by goldmemberer

Give me a free revving V8 like the new Z06's that has a better balance of HP and TQ in a chasis that can hold its own against the 911 for $30k less and I won't complain.
There you go. The above shows that you do understand my argument 100%. Because that's how I feel.

For me what's best is a big, high revving normally aspirated engine. So that it makes good (peak) power but also very good power at low revs (most of you call that torque). A good example would have been the V10 in the M5/6 but with more torque. So if that engine was 6 liters large at the same weight as now, it would probably make around 475 pounds of torque or maybe more and make 550HP at 7500 rpm. Great numbers on paper.

Now, there are a ton more factors making an engine a great engine. Many of them, subjective. Throttle response, sound, gas consumption, etc. But if to be theoritical and stand on the numbers factor, the above is my preference and I doubt many of you will not agree. WHo would say no to a NA 6 liter, high revving engine that does not weigh a ton?
gavriil is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 09:24 PM
  #175  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,980
Received 7,397 Likes on 3,970 Posts
I was NEVER arguing about "absolute power"... the "absolute power" of this 911 is not what impressed me. so, we were arguing two different things - something you did indentify earlier.
srika is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 10:50 PM
  #176  
Moderator Alumnus
 
Beltfed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Communist, NY
Posts: 9,574
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts




Beltfed is offline  
Old 06-28-2005, 10:58 PM
  #177  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,980
Received 7,397 Likes on 3,970 Posts
the blue looks different in these pics... for the better. I wonder which is the more accurate representation of how it looks in real life....
srika is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 12:45 AM
  #178  
goldmemberererer
 
goldmemberer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West Hills, CA
Posts: 1,736
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
I was NEVER arguing about "absolute power"... the "absolute power" of this 911 is not what impressed me. so, we were arguing two different things - something you did indentify earlier.
Both very good points.

In retrospect - I'm not _as_ impressed with this 380 HP out of an N/A H6 deal any longer. Main reason: they've been producing the same H6 engine for 41 years now. 100 hp/L is a great benchmark to achieve in a naturally aspirated car, but given 41+ years of R&D on the same engine, I'd expect them to be _way_ ahead of the rest of the world. And the torque is still sucky (relatively).

The gearing and overall experience more than makes up for it. But think about it. This engine is older than dirt. Is it impressive that they're doing what BMW and Honda can also do for much, much cheaper? To argue that the S2000 or M3 are less fun to drive than the 911 would ultimately come down to preference, not any other quantifiable or objective reason.
goldmemberer is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 01:19 AM
  #179  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,980
Received 7,397 Likes on 3,970 Posts
the TVR's producing more than 400hp is really quite - and yes it is too bad they don't sell em over here.
srika is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 12:28 PM
  #180  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
I was NEVER arguing about "absolute power"... the "absolute power" of this 911 is not what impressed me. so, we were arguing two different things - something you did indentify earlier.
You never argued absolute power directly. But that was a big part of my point, if not the point itself. That in the end absolute power is what matters in practice which is the objective part.

In other words what I tried to say was, maybe 380 HP from 3.8 liters may be impressive to some, but 380HP is what will be available in the end no matter from how few cubic centimeters it sources.
gavriil is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 12:32 PM
  #181  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by goldmemberer
Both very good points.

In retrospect - I'm not _as_ impressed with this 380 HP out of an N/A H6 deal any longer. Main reason: they've been producing the same H6 engine for 41 years now. 100 hp/L is a great benchmark to achieve in a naturally aspirated car, but given 41+ years of R&D on the same engine, I'd expect them to be _way_ ahead of the rest of the world. And the torque is still sucky (relatively).

The gearing and overall experience more than makes up for it. But think about it. This engine is older than dirt. Is it impressive that they're doing what BMW and Honda can also do for much, much cheaper? To argue that the S2000 or M3 are less fun to drive than the 911 would ultimately come down to preference, not any other quantifiable or objective reason.
The only thing common with this engine throughout its 41 year life is the theoritical configuaration. That is, that it was a flat six and still is. Everything else has been refined and changed throughout the years. In very major ways (e.g. watercooled from aircooled).
gavriil is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 12:37 PM
  #182  
Senior Moderator
 
GreenMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Swansea, MA
Age: 52
Posts: 35,219
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
The only thing common with this engine throughout its 41 year life is the theoritical configuaration. That is, that it was a flat six and still is. Everything else has been refined and changed throughout the years. In very major ways (e.g. watercooled from aircooled).


When they went with the watercooled stuff with the intro of the 996 (in 1999) it really was an end of an era...
GreenMonster is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 05:08 PM
  #183  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gavriil is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:34 PM
  #184  
Pit Stop?
 
Minch00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Orlando FL
Age: 33
Posts: 13,526
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want!
Minch00 is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:44 PM
  #185  
Burn some dust here
 
cob3683's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Atlanta
Age: 36
Posts: 5,709
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
:justbrokekeyboardanddeskbecauseofgiganticboner:
cob3683 is offline  
Old 06-29-2005, 09:46 PM
  #186  
Photography Nerd
 
Dan Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto
Age: 39
Posts: 21,489
Likes: 0
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Dan Martin is offline  
Old 06-30-2005, 12:12 AM
  #187  
Be Strong AND Courageous!
iTrader: (1)
 
DarkSithCL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Joshua 1:1-9
Age: 53
Posts: 9,300
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Hawtness...
DarkSithCL is offline  
Old 06-30-2005, 12:20 AM
  #188  
The Oracle of Acurazine!
 
Teh Jatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fresno, CA
Age: 35
Posts: 28,699
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
oh my god...............

Teh Jatt is offline  
Old 06-30-2005, 12:23 AM
  #189  
Registered Member
 
aaronnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jersey City
Age: 32
Posts: 3,198
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
now thats beautiful!!
aaronnn is offline  
Old 06-30-2005, 01:31 AM
  #190  
Senior Moderator
 
Crazy Bimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Chicago Burbs
Age: 38
Posts: 34,940
Received 637 Likes on 276 Posts
front bumper looks kinda cheap. Dont hurt me
Crazy Bimmer is offline  
Old 06-30-2005, 02:58 AM
  #191  
goldmemberererer
 
goldmemberer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West Hills, CA
Posts: 1,736
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since it looks essentially the same as the previous one, a new Porsche has to excel in a _lot_ more than looks to impress me. This doesn't even look that great. Front bumper - snowplow. Tail wing - too... much. The 993 Turbo S spoilers look best, as far Porsches are concerned.

Last edited by goldmemberer; 06-30-2005 at 03:01 AM.
goldmemberer is offline  
Old 06-30-2005, 03:00 AM
  #192  
goldmemberererer
 
goldmemberer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West Hills, CA
Posts: 1,736
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE: 993 Turbo S spoilers - See Also:
goldmemberer is offline  
Old 06-30-2005, 12:13 PM
  #193  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cob3683
:justbrokekeyboardanddeskbecauseofgiganticboner:
LMAO big time!
gavriil is offline  
Old 06-30-2005, 12:15 PM
  #194  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the best part is the two vents on the rear...hood. It's reminiscent of...some past Porshce I cant remember the year of. The rear looks great overall in my opinio. IT looks like a very serious performer from the rear.
gavriil is offline  
Old 06-30-2005, 01:02 PM
  #195  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,980
Received 7,397 Likes on 3,970 Posts
the red one is most likely just what it says, a Carrera S... looks like a GT3 but has the standard 997 motor.

this black one is the GT3, note the center-exhaust that is the most telling sign. look at the size of the rear tires!!!! it is SOOOOOO IMPRESSIVE....







srika is offline  
Old 07-12-2005, 05:31 PM
  #196  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts






Source: Porsche.com
gavriil is offline  
Old 07-12-2005, 05:33 PM
  #197  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts




Source: AutoWeek.nl
gavriil is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 11:06 AM
  #198  
Senior Moderator
 
srika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 53,980
Received 7,397 Likes on 3,970 Posts
the latest issue of Motor Trend is reporting the 997TT will make just over 500hp and will be introduced at the Paris Show. Porsche engineers say the engine can easily handle 700hp, the only limiting factors being cooling and transmission...
srika is offline  
Old 08-07-2005, 02:06 PM
  #199  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by srika
the latest issue of Motor Trend is reporting the 997TT will make just over 500hp and will be introduced at the Paris Show. Porsche engineers say the engine can easily handle 700hp, the only limiting factors being cooling and transmission...

True.

The funny thing is that they say "the only" limiter factors are cooling and transmission. Like what factor would u like to see Mr. Engineer as limiting to not call it "the only" limiting factor? Oh man...
gavriil is offline  
Old 08-16-2005, 10:03 AM
  #200  
Moderator Alumnus
 
gavriil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Washington DC (NOVA)
Age: 47
Posts: 16,399
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
gavriil is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche: 911 News


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.