Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 02:05 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
No more BIG 3 as Toyota # 2

Toyota passes Ford as No. 2; six-month sales tally signals a new order

By JAMES R. CRATE | Automotive News

Continuing its steady sales climb, Toyota Motor Corp. squeezed past Ford Motor Co. by 43,000 vehicles in the first six months of its fiscal year to become the world's second-biggest automaker.

Reporting its financial results for the six months ended Sept. 30, Toyota said it sold 3.170 million cars and trucks worldwide. That's up 7.4 percent from the year-ago period.

Ford sold 3.127 million units over the same six months, which are its second and third quarters. That was down 10.9 percent.

Toyota's figures include sales by two subsidiaries, minicar maker Daihatsu Motor Co. and truckmaker Hino Motors Ltd.

Ford's numbers include its luxury group: Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo.

Toyota says it expects to sell 6.57 million vehicles worldwide in fiscal 2003, up 7.5 percent. If so, it seems likely that Toyota will maintain its sales momentum.

But Toyota's lead will not necessarily last for its full fiscal year. And it does not guarantee that Toyota will pass Ford for calendar year 2003.

For the nine-month period through September, Ford still leads Toyota by 100,464 units, according to the Automotive News Data Center. But Ford's lead has narrowed dramatically from the year-ago period, when it led Toyota by 748,300 units.

Still, the comparison is an important signpost to the changing order of the world auto industry. General Motors remains the world's largest automaker. But GM and Ford both have struggled to maintain market share in North America, Europe and South America.

Buoyed by steadily rising sales in North America, Europe and Southeast Asia, Toyota has been closing in on Ford and GM since the early 1990s.

In 1996, GM's worldwide sales totaled 8.40 million units, according to the Data Center.

The same year, Ford registered sales of 6.65 million units and Toyota's sales totaled 4.75 million.

Six years later, GM's sales were virtually flat at 8.50 million units. Ford's sales were stuck at 6.82 million units, even though it included 650,000 units from new acquisitions Volvo, Aston Martin and Land Rover. Last year, Toyota sold 6.17 million units globally.

Thus, over a six-year period, Toyota had narrowed GM's lead by roughly 1 million units and Ford's lead by 1.4 million units.

"They're tough, formidable competitors, and you've got to respect them," said Ford spokesman Jim Bright.

"I think it sends a message to us and to the entire team. So we will just continue on focusing on what it takes to make us successful and keep us successful." Ford remains focused on its revitalization plan, another company official said.

He said the company aims to achieve its profit targets rather than maintain its ranking as the world's No. 2 automaker.

Staff Reporters Yuzo Yamaguchi and Amy Wilson contributed to this report
Old 11-10-2003, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
funny coincidence, i just read bizweek's cover story on toyota...here's a link and an excerpt

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...8001_mz001.htm

...At its current rate of expansion, Toyota could pass Ford Motor Co. (F ) in mid-decade as the world's No. 2 auto maker. The No. 1 spot -- still occupied by General Motors Corp. (GM ), with 15% of the global market --...
looks like toyota doesn't have to wait till mid-decade... with the product offerings GM have recently been rolling out I think the No.1 spot will sooner, then later, be toyota's
Old 11-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toyota scares me. i hate their line up
Old 11-10-2003, 04:11 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Very well rounded line up. They're not afraid to make RWD platforms and develop V8's like some other car companies I know (I won't name names)
Old 11-10-2003, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

not only do i hate toyotas, i hate the people who drive them--with a passion

Old 11-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Don't get run over!

Originally posted by RJC RSX

You entitled to your own opinion.

I don't think Toyotas are that bad. My parents own Toyotas and they like them. I like them, but they aren't as good as Hondas though.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

you hate a lot of people then, especially japanese ones.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:17 PM
Co-Owner

Hate the cars..but don't hate the people..
you
Old 11-10-2003, 08:59 PM

Real mature school boy :P

Get down or lay down.

Funny but Toyotas and Hondas are pretty much the same. Basic, reliable transportation. Bland styling for both, some great offerings and some sorry ones. Toyota is just way bigger than Honda and more anal about their ways.

I think it is hilarious when a Honda owner calls Toyota bland.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
...Funny but Toyotas and Hondas are pretty much the same. Basic, reliable transportation. Bland styling for both, some great offerings and some sorry ones. Toyota is just way bigger than Honda and more anal about their ways.

I think it is hilarious when a Honda owner calls Toyota bland.
You're absolutely right!
Old 11-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Wow! Toyota is better than i thought. But i dont understand how that is possible because there line up is ugly (no offence to toyota owners) I mean come on the Matrix that is akward looking and the Celica 140hp? Where are you going? OK the GTS is 180 but your paying 24,654 out the pocket when you can spend 1,000 less for 20 more hp RSX-S. There SUVS i wont talk about cause are hella nice. The Camry vs Accord I would have to say the Accord looks nicer and there model selections are good and simple. The Corolla looks like a KIA and the tranny on it messes up on you after 56,000 miles. But what I think is helping there sales is Lexus now there line up is nice I cant say anything about that including the IS300 now that is style in motion. well that my thoughts on Toyota

Peace
Old 11-11-2003, 01:51 AM
Da Invisible Man

Originally posted by gilboman
you hate a lot of people then, especially japanese ones.
Toyota sales in Japan is more than the total of all the other car makers. That means, RJC RSX hates more than 1/2 of car owners in Japan He must have a big heart to hate that many people
Old 11-11-2003, 02:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by MoMocedes
Wow! Toyota is better than i thought. But i dont understand how that is possible because there line up is ugly (no offence to toyota owners) I mean come on the Matrix that is akward looking and the Celica 140hp? Where are you going? OK the GTS is 180 but your paying 24,654 out the pocket when you can spend 1,000 less for 20 more hp RSX-S. There SUVS i wont talk about cause are hella nice. The Camry vs Accord I would have to say the Accord looks nicer and there model selections are good and simple. The Corolla looks like a KIA and the tranny on it messes up on you after 56,000 miles. But what I think is helping there sales is Lexus now there line up is nice I cant say anything about that including the IS300 now that is style in motion. well that my thoughts on Toyota

Peace
a celica GT has 140hp but weighs only 2460lbs...a RSX base has 160hp but carries around 2750lb

so that is 17.57 lb/hp for GT, 17.18 lb/hp for a BASE rsx. and similar miniscule difference btwn Type S and GTS..but the celica will outhandle and outbrake the Acura.... Styling is always subjective, but lets be nice and say that Honda is bland at best with the accord being the execption at atrocious, toyota is bland as well. Toyota has TRD factory warrantied superchargers and engine internals. to think that honda or toyota is somehow overall better than one another in any order makes no sense b/c they are pretty much the same in terms of offering for the masses with toyota having more resources to have a full lineup. toyota is like a big well funded version of honda.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:45 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by gilboman
..but the celica will outhandle and outbrake the Acura....
No it won't. The Celica outbrakes the Acura because the RSX comes with crappy tires, not because its brakes are bad. Many RSX owners have said changing the stock tires made the difference. I don't know where you've been, but the RSX has been quoted, by many sources, as being the best handling FWD car in its class.
Old 11-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Racer

Well, I hate people who can't capitalize properly. So there!!

:P
Old 11-11-2003, 09:38 AM
Racer

Originally posted by MoMocedes
Wow! Toyota is better than i thought. But i dont understand how that is possible because there line up is ugly
Which do you think is better looking: Toyota's pickup trucks, or Honda's?
Old 11-11-2003, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think toyota is a better run company then honda...they have a nice lineup to cater to a whole range of customers, plus they have their performance customers in mind by offering TRD components for certain vehicles...fing honda has been pissing me off lately by coming out with a-spec, after introducing type-r/s, factory performance package, etc they come out with this new package called a-spec....just offer mugen parts as standard peformance accessories and if ppl want to customize then let them...damnit! if they don't want customers customizing then stay with type-r/s because when ppl hear that a certain honda vehicle is type-r/s they automatically know it's the sportier version, just like when you say M for BMW and RS/S for audi...

with that said i still like honda cars better...and i dont care if you drive a toyota or a honda, just dont drive 55 in the left lane on the highway...get out of my way!
Old 11-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by phile
No it won't. The Celica outbrakes the Acura because the RSX comes with crappy tires, not because its brakes are bad. Many RSX owners have said changing the stock tires made the difference. I don't know where you've been, but the RSX has been quoted, by many sources, as being the best handling FWD car in its class.
slalom times, tracktimes all have the celica ahead, a celica and RSX with equal tires , the celica will always stop faster. the RSX is not even close to being the best handling FWD.... the MP3, Mini and even the celica would own it..drive them both, the RSX has the numb steering and is by a long shot not nearly as sharp as the celica... while the MP3 and mini will outhandle them both by a long shot. the RSX-S is more comfortable for daily driving though, the celica is more raw. most won't notice the difference, but if you drive them hard, you will know instantly the celica is much much more agile and have quicker reflexes.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

regarding my comment, you would really have to live in Northern Virginia to fully understand
Old 11-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Da Invisible Man

regarding my comment, you would really have to live in Northern Virginia to fully understand
I've been there for 2 weeks. I was surprised I only saw 2 Asians.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

wow what area? In fairfax county there are a ton of asians, which is fine of course, but it's the FOB's (that happen to soley drive toyotas it seems) that bug me (that is, their driving that is constantly an endangerment to everyone else on the road.) Again, you would probably have to live here to fully understand
Old 11-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Da Invisible Man

wow what area? In fairfax county there are a ton of asians, which is fine of course, but it's the FOB's (that happen to soley drive toyotas it seems) that bug me (that is, their driving that is constantly an endangerment to everyone else on the road.) Again, you would probably have to live here to fully understand
It was downtown of Virginia. I don't know if there are more than one downtown in Virginia though... If there are, then I don't know which one...

But I kind of get what you're talking about. If many of Toyota owner are Asian. And if many of those Asian are driving like _____. Then I know why you said that.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

lol, there are several dozen "downtown" northern virginias. Again, it's not because they're asian, it's because they have little to no driving experience and you really have to watch out for them. The little asian women in the huge sequoias are the worst, as are the old men in the avalons. Well, the punk ass kids in the celicas, and the annoying soccer moms in the siennas too :P
Old 11-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Da Invisible Man

Wow. A bunch of downtowns... There's only one downtown on Oahu...

I know what you're talking about. It's just like when I see someone driving below speed limit and think the driver is a old person. It's not that all the old people drive slow, but majority are.