Nissan & GM top performers in quality survey

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Nissan & GM top performers in quality survey

Nissan Motor Co. and General Motors Corp. were the top performers in a new survey of vehicle quality, with satisfied owners praising power and styling.

BMW was the highest-scoring individual nameplate in the survey by Strategic Vision Inc., a San Diego-based marketing research firm. The tenth annual survey, which was released Monday, questioned around 40,000 owners of 2004 vehicles between October and November. The survey asked owners about their emotional response to vehicles as well as any problems they have experienced.

Six GM vehicles got top ratings in the survey's 20 vehicle categories, the highest number of any automaker.

The Pontiac G6 was the top mid-size car, while the Buick Rainier was the top mid-size sport utility vehicle and the GMC Sierra was the top heavy-duty pickup. The Cadillac Escalade and the Hummer H2 tied with Land Rover's Range Rover in the luxury SUV category, while the Chevrolet Corvette was tops among luxury specialty cars.

The ranking was welcome news for GM, which saw its U.S. vehicle sales fall 7.7 percent in the first four months of this year. Strategic Vision said GM needs its top-selling vehicles, such as the Chevrolet Silverado pickup and Impala sedan, to get quality marks as high as specialty vehicles like the Corvette and the H2.

"What GM is missing and what it needs are hits in its volume sellers," Strategic Vision said.

Nissan delivered five first-place winners and got the highest overall quality scores. The Nissan Maxima sedan tied with the Ford Five Hundred among large cars, while the Nissan Titan was the top full-size pickup. The Nissan Murano was the top crossover, the Nissan Armada was the top large SUV and the Infiniti FX35 was the top near-luxury SUV.

Strategic Vision said Nissan owners repeatedly said their vehicles gave them feelings of power, individuality, excitement and fun. Nissan's sales had a 27 percent increase in the first four months of this year.

Strategic Vision also noted that two pickups from Japanese manufacturers -- the Toyota Tacoma and the Nissan Titan -- did best in the compact and full-size pickup categories.

"It shows that Asian manufacturers can produce trucks -- a segment that the domestics previously owned -- that satisfy American truck buyers," Strategic Vision said.

http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/...9_20050516.htm
Old 05-16-2005, 07:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn’t aware that GM had a division called “Strategic Vision Inc”.
Must be run by the Marketing Dept.

I don’t trust survey that says the Ford 500 scores high and Nissan vehicles “gave them feelings of power, individuality, excitement and fun”.
And to top it off, the horribly selling G6 got the “top mid-size car” award.

Something’s fishy.
Shouldn’t sales numbers somewhat reflect poll rankings?
Old 05-16-2005, 07:50 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn S

I don’t trust survey that says the Ford 500 scores high and Nissan vehicles “gave them feelings of power, individuality, excitement and fun”.

Something’s fishy.
I don't think sales should be tied to this ... But this poll is completely meaningless because the G6 hasn't been around long enough to start falling apart and depreciating exponentially

And it's amazing what people will put up with if their car has the letters B-M-W on it
Old 05-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Kabachitare!

Something’s fishy.

werd.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
In all fairness, the Ford 500 (while mediocre by our standards...and it is!) seems to be light years ahead of every other sedan Ford's carried in the last 15 years. In the end, Ford will sell their fair share of them (excluding the fleet sales)....and I'd easily get one over any other similar offering from GM and Chrysler with the exception being the 300.

As for the sentiment from Nissan owners, I can say honestly that it's pretty much how I feel when driving my my 02 Maxima. While I cant fully endorse the 'individuality part', my Maxima has NO shortage of power and is still exciting and fun to drive.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by F23A4
In all fairness, the Ford 500 (while mediocre by our standards...and it is!) seems to be light years ahead of every other sedan Ford's carried in the last 15 years. In the end, Ford will sell their fair share of them (excluding the fleet sales)....and I'd easily get one over any other similar offering from GM and Chrysler with the exception being the 300.

As for the sentiment from Nissan owners, I can say honestly that it's pretty much how I feel when driving my my 02 Maxima. While I cant fully endorse the 'individuality part', my Maxima has NO shortage of power and is still exciting and fun to drive.
I agree with you. The 500's interior is the best in a Ford (brand) sedand ever; the exterior's bland, but that hasn't stopped the Avalon. Nothing wrong with the survey at all. My sister loves her 02 Max. And I liked it the minute I drove it also... Nissan's on an incredible roll right now. I think they're really hitting their stride. As for GM, good for them. GM makes quality cars. I'm happy to see them get some good news. It's way to easy to bash them. People talk as if they make cars on par with what Hyundai offered eight years ago, and that's just not the case. Hopefully they'll continue to improve.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nissan, GM lead quality study; firm measured customer perceptions, performance problems - - By JAMIE LAREAU | Automotive News - - Source: AUtoweek

Nissan North America Inc. and General Motors are the big winners in a new survey of consumer perceptions of vehicle quality.

Nissan took first place in overall quality among automakers in the 2005 Total Quality Study by Strategic Vision Inc., a marketing research and consulting firm in Tustin, Calif. The study was released on Monday, May 16.

GM vehicles finished first in six market segments, the most of any car company. Daniel Gorrell, Strategic Vision's automotive partner in charge, says GM needs to apply to its largest-volume vehicles the quality it shows in lower-selling and specialty models.

Nissan, Gorrell says, is overcoming initial quality problems at its assembly plant in Canton, Miss. It also is proving that an Asian automaker can build trucks that U.S. customers want to buy, he adds.

40,000 consumers

Strategic Vision surveyed more than 40,000 consumers who bought new 2005-model vehicles in October and November 2004.

The study measures customers' emotional responses to buying, owning and driving their vehicles, as well as performance problems, Gorrell says.

Among GM vehicles, survey respondents gave best-in-segment quality ratings to the Pontiac G6 and Chevrolet Corvette cars, Buick Rainier, Hummer H2, Cadillac Escalade and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 trucks.

Nissan North America's segment winners include the Nissan Maxima car and the Murano, Armada, Titan and the Infiniti FX35 trucks.

Gorrell says Nissan has improved both the residual values and interior craftsmanship of its vehicles.

Improvements reflected

Jed Connelly, Nissan North America's senior vice president of sales and marketing, says the survey results reflect improvements that have been building for the past three or four years.

"We've been connecting with our customers emotionally," Connelly says. "We've always been known for good quality and always been on the performance end. Then you throw in breakthrough styling."

Mark LaNeve, GM's vice president of North American vehicle sales, service and marketing, says the automaker is stressing quality and safety in its advertising campaigns.

Despite lukewarm media reviews, the Pontiac G6 scored well among survey respondents for styling, power and dealership purchase experience, Gorrell says.

"The people who bought it are really happy with it," he says.

But Gorrell notes that many of GM's best-selling vehicles did not do as well in the quality survey.

He cites the Chevrolet Impala and Silverado and GMC Sierra, which accounted for nearly a fourth of GM's U.S. sales in the first quarter of 2005.

"That's one of the reasons they're having problems," Gorrell says.

Nissan offers a model for GM in using quality as an element of brand-building, Gorrell says.

"They understand their brand, and they are focusing," he says of Nissan. "Mark LaNeve has said that's what GM needs to do: to make sure there is no overlap in the brands and brand messages."

And the winners are ...

These are the segment winners in Strategic Vision's 2005 Total Quality Study. The listing of more than 1 model indicates a tie.

Small car: Ford Focus, Hyundai Accent, Mazda3

Medium car: Pontiac G6

Large car: Ford Five Hundred, Nissan Maxima

Small specialty, under $25,000: Ford Mustang

Small specialty, over $25,000: Chevrolet Corvette

Near-luxury: BMW 3 series

Luxury car: BMW 5 series, Lexus LS 430

Minivan: Honda Odyssey

Small SUV: Hyundai Tucson

Medium SUV: Buick Rainier

Medium crossover: Nissan Murano

Large SUV: Nissan Armada

Near-luxury SUV: Infiniti FX35

Luxury SUV: Land Rover Range Rover, Hummer H2, Cadillac Escalade

Compact pickup: Toyota Tacoma

Full-sized pickup: Nissan Titan

Heavy-duty pickup: GMC Sierra 2500/3500
Source: Strategic Vision Inc.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Among GM vehicles, survey respondents gave best-in-segment quality ratings to the Pontiac G6 and Chevrolet Corvette cars, Buick Rainier, Hummer H2, Cadillac Escalade and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 trucks.

Nissan North America's segment winners include the Nissan Maxima car and the Murano, Armada, Titan and the Infiniti FX35 trucks.
Interesting.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

The 500 has a good looking interior, but it needs some slight work. I think all it needs are some wider better tires (read the AW review), slightly firmer suspension tuning, and a exterior refresh using cues from the Fusion. A more powerful engine is in the works, but should have been available at launch.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
A more powerful engine is in the works, but should have been available at launch.
x 1,000,000 ......and while they're at it, they need to put the same motor in the Freestyle.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

x 1,000,000 ......and while they're at it, they need to put the same motor in the Freestyle.
I was reading the current autoweek and the 500 pulled .72 on the skidpad. They stated that the car handled and braked like and SUV. AW stated that the problem was the rock hard tires. A decent A/S tire like the Pirelli PNeros and a little firmer spring rate would improve the handling. Braking will improve as well. Ford needs to shoot for a .80 on the skidpad, to match the competition. A 260+ modern engine will also be needed. Now, that the performance deficiencies are addressed all it needs is a minor refresh. Ford really didn't do its market research on the 500.

Fix everything above and Ford has a great selling vehicle.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:03 PM
Instructor

I guess it makes sense nissan would be near GM in this survey, since they're pretty much the GM of Japan.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by machination
...since they're pretty much the GM of Japan.
What do you mean ?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:19 AM
Instructor

You're the biggest GM hater around here, figure it out.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by machination
You're the biggest GM hater around here, figure it out.
Yo! You got me totally wrong. Why do you say that?

I might have been criticizing them a lot lately, but so is pretty much everyone else with all this negative news coming out. I am a big GM fan and I'd like to see them kick ass more than any of you, but when I see crappy mgt, I bash it.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 753 Likes on 453 Posts
Seeing GM on top of quality surveys is impressive.

The question left are:
- This seems to be on the trucks and big cars. Do they still have issues with mainstream cars?
- This surveys short-term reliability. Does a good initial quality rating get later reflected in long-term reliability? It would be nice if some good journalist looked at past surveys and told us.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something’s fishy.

I totally agree...

lets see, the US manufacturers are in car slump... reviews come out to make them more appealing to purchase.

Asian companies forced to raise their prices or have import improblems into the US.

NAH, everything is legit. You don't see anything here, move on...
Old 05-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Seeing GM on top of quality surveys is impressive.

The question left are:
- This seems to be on the trucks and big cars. Do they still have issues with mainstream cars?
- This surveys short-term reliability. Does a good initial quality rating get later reflected in long-term reliability? It would be nice if some good journalist looked at past surveys and told us.
Initial quality is no indication of long term reliability, like I've said before in another post somewhere. Quality does not equal reliability. And good initial quality does not imply good long term quality. Have you rode in a 10 year old GM or Ford vehicle lately?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

Something’s fishy.

I don't get it, why is it so surprising that Nissan would be associated with "feelings of power, individuality, excitement and fun” and that the 500 would be on the list, a car which Ford is depending on? And the G6 really isn't selling poorly for a V6 model only car, 11k in april, 2x as many as the Mazda6 which has both 4cyl and v6 models.