Nissan: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phile
Does it really? They just look like circles to me...
if you look at them sideways, they look like a crooked red snowman without a head.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
if you look at them sideways, they look like a crooked red snowman without a head.
OoooKaaay LOL....So...they don't look like the Infiniti logo, as previously mentioned?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iNteGraz92

more like the x5 interior looks like ass.
typical boring bmw interior
I guess, in the same way a fine piece of furniture looks like ass.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jwong77

My housemate's 750IL looks great from the outside, but the inside doesn't look anything like a 100 grand car. BTW, its a 2002 so its the older design not the wierd looking new one. I mean it looks ok, but when put next to say an S-class interior or a Jaguar XJ, it doesn't really compare. Hell the 2002 LS430 has a better interior and its what 30k less expensive? Just my
Think if you make the effort to post all those interiors, things will be clearer than you remember.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
eh... I think the M looks terrific, but I know what you're talking about with the tail lights. At night however, those tail lights shine! The LEDs forming the 2 circles are just gorgeous.
At night, with only circle led's showing like on a skyline it looks good, wow. What about daylight, when you have the brake light, turn signal, reverse lense all grouped into one lump sum.

Old 09-21-2006, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by iNteGraz92

more like the x5 interior looks like ass.
typical boring bmw interior
Old 09-21-2006, 10:39 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cant wait to see a redesigned M..
Old 09-21-2006, 11:43 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I think they really need to make the FX and QX look better. I really like the M and Q, and the G sedan to me is nice looking, but the most boring of the Infiniti sedans. The coupe though is something else; I always stare when I see a freshly washed one.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i actually think the current g35 sedan is kinda ugly. The coupe OTOH, is what Paris Hilton would describe as "That's Hot".

Haven't seen the actual next gen g35 yet, but it looks promising. They seem to have that family resemblence thing going on pretty well and their designs are evolving...which means they found a design theme that works and they're sticking to it.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

I can't wait to see the revamped Q45. I hope they retain the gatling gun headlights, but go the LED route with it.
Same here. One can only hope they're keeping quiet about the Q because it'll blow the tires off the compeititon.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
eh... I think the M looks terrific, but I know what you're talking about with the tail lights. At night however, those tail lights shine! The LEDs forming the 2 circles are just gorgeous.
^ Agreed. The M's taillights are beautiful at night. I'm know I'm in the minority, but I like the size and shape of the M's taillights. The entire rear looks good to me.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
i actually think the current g35 sedan is kinda ugly. The coupe OTOH, is what Paris Hilton would describe as "That's Hot".

Haven't seen the actual next gen g35 yet, but it looks promising. They seem to have that family resemblence thing going on pretty well and their designs are evolving...which means they found a design theme that works and they're sticking to it.
Go to www.infiniti.com/allnewg

They just updated the site with a bunch of new pics. The new G looks great!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heyitsme
classic example is the new x5 interior vs the new MDX. Bmw is class, while the Acura is a space ship for kids. Acura did the same thing Infiniti did.
So I guess "iDrive" makes an interior "class" these days.

Nothing gets past you, does it?
Old 09-22-2006, 08:59 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by 03TL-S
Go to www.infiniti.com/allnewg

They just updated the site with a bunch of new pics. The new G looks great!
Wow some of the details are neat. I didn't even notice the flushed windshield until it was pointed out here.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nissan Commits to Fuel Cells - - by Marty Padgett - - Source: The Car Connection

Nissan says it will field a fuel-cell-powered electric vehicle sometime after 2010 as part of a new initiative dubbed Nissan Green Program 2010.

The initiative, Nissan COO Toshiyuki Shiga told reporters this morning inJapan, was to provide "a transparent view of Nissan's future commitments to all aspects of environmental management."

The plan includes several different means of cutting the environmental impact of Nissan vehicles worldwide. The highlights include:

The introduction of a fuel-cell car after 2010;

Development of a Nissan hybrid vehicle without assistance from other automakers (Nissan uses Toyota technology in the Altima Hybrid);

Accelerate development of a plug-in hybrid;

Incorporating CO2 reduction as one of the key management performance indicators;

The launch of a "three-liter car," which can run 100 km on three liters of gas, by 2010;

And the expansion of flexible-fuel vehicles over the next three years, including the addition of an Armada flex-fuel vehicle.

Nissan also says it is committing to cut the carbon dioxide produced by its worldwide manufacturing base by seven percent, over the 2005-10 time period.

While fuel cells will be among the targets the company sets for green vehicles of the future, Nissan still believes that gas is the fuel for most vehicles for the foreseeable future. "Nissan believes that the internal combustion engine will continue to serve as the primary power source for vehicles," a statement from the automaker indicated. The three-liter car and original hybrid technologies are the company's means of improving current gas-powered cars while fuel cells emerge.

In Japan , Nissan is also committing to the introduction of six vehicles that will surpass fuel-economy standards by 20 percent, will have emissions 75 percent below 2005 levels, and will come with cabin air-quality management systems. Direct injection and turbocharging will be used to reach these targets.

Lastly, Nissan plans to add variable valve timing to its North American vehicles over the next few years, and to develop a new range of clean diesels that will meet tough new U.S. diesel regs.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I like this effort much better than hybrids and especially E85.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:05 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Fuel Cell > Hybrid > E85
Old 12-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

Fuel cells are great technology that the auto industry will probably trickle to a lot of industries.

I'm just not sure about E85. I know we've seen some really negative articles, but I question their accuracy each time brazil shows what they are doing with it. I think there is something going on with the advertising of this product considering our sugar and corn industries could really benefit.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Sounds good, but what I am most excited about is this:

Combining direct injection gasoline engines with next generation turbocharger systems (four-cylinder engines)
Combining direct injection gasoline engine with Variable Valve Event & Lift System (VEL) for V6 and V8 engines.
Adopt VEL, which reduces CO2 emissions by 10%, starting from 2007 in Japan and North America.

Taken from a post over on freshalloy

http://forums.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=160774

I wonder if the next G35 Coupe will receive the VEL treatment? or perhaps the next 350Z...
Old 12-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Safety Car

Nissan considers 200SX sucessor for 2010

Originally Posted by lfn.com
Report: Nissan considers 200SX sucessor

Nissan is considering building an inexpensive sports car based on the Foria concept car (pictured) shown in 2005. If built, it would essentially be a spiritual successor to the much-missed 200SX, according to Autocar. The rear-wheel-drive car would be positioned below the 350Z, according to the report.

Another possibility under consideration at Nissan is building a mid-engined car in the same price range, perhaps inspired by the two-seat Urge concept. Either vehicle would arrive in showrooms around 2010, the report said. Currently, the Foria-based project seems most likely, with Nissan again showing the car to media at its global design studio in Atsugi this week.

Last edited by heyitsme; 12-15-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 12-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Kabachitare!

Interesting.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ashburner
You wouldn't want pics. It's pretty hideous...

OK, judge for yourself:

http://www.nissanforia.com/gallery.htm
Old 12-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Racer

Ahh, yes - the coal-powered cars are here!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to alternate-fuel vehicles - however:

I'm a bit frustrated with the use of "pollution-free" as applied to fuel-cell vehicles. They are most certainly NOT pollution-free. One way or another, nothing is free.

As I'm sure you know, fuel cells generate electricity by combining hydrogen and oxygen to produce water. The real question is: where does the hydrogen come from? Oxygen is nearly free, it makes up ~21% of the atmosphere. Hydrogen is a trace gas so the most common way to get free hydrogen is by breaking hydrogen molecules away from...any guesses? Hydrocarbons! Yes, those very same dreaded and polluting molecules that we burn to produce energy.

Another way to do it would be to electrolytically split water molecules into Hydrogen and Oxygen by running an electric current through water. In either case, it takes electric power to break the hydrogen molecules free. In the case of water - it takes the same amount to break it free as you get back when you combine the hydrogen with oxygen again in the fuel cell.

So, to sum up. To get free hydrogen for use in fuel cells requires electricity. In the USA, (or Canada) there is about a 90% chance that the electricity utilized will be produced from the burning of coal as most power plants are coal-fired. Plus you would have to factor in the energy consumed to transport the hydrogen - which I believe would be higher than what is required to transport oil/gasoline.

My question is: can we just make a coal powered car and cut out the middleman?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:56 AM
The hair says it all

There HAS to be a way to use bacteria or something like that to produce hydrogen, stuff like this has loong development times and there isn't much incentive for R&D until there is pressure or a market. Any step in that direction is better than no step. Plus, we all know that point sources are much better for pollution control than mobile sources.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool.. finally car companies are exploring the idea of introducing cheap rwd vehicle into the US market

edit: from the pics it looks like it has a small rear door like the RX-8...
Old 12-16-2006, 01:08 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn that interior looks dope as fuck. as for the rest of the car, not so much
Old 12-16-2006, 02:55 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
WTF happened to the Sport Concept?

Bastards.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Safety Car

I would have posted the pics but for a model 2 years away its not realistic. When the new 350Z is shown, I'd expect it to be similiar to that. I think this is likely to happen because of the news of the altima coupe and what has been happening. Nissan seems to be going after the whole two door segment, from the bottom all the way up the the GTR. This could prove to be a big boost in sales for the brand, similiar to what Honda had in the 90's with the integra/si/nsx/cl. Now all we need is news of the datsun brand...
Old 12-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Python2121
There HAS to be a way to use bacteria or something like that to produce hydrogen, stuff like this has loong development times and there isn't much incentive for R&D until there is pressure or a market. Any step in that direction is better than no step. Plus, we all know that point sources are much better for pollution control than mobile sources.

There is algae that produces hydrogen and its already in use for that purpose. This is along the same thought as bacteria, cheap, renewable, no one has control.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Fuel Cell > Diesel > Hybrid > E85
Fixed.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Python2121
Again, I'm not disparaging alternate fuel sources - however, even H2 produced by bacteria will not be "free." I'm guessing the environment for these bacteria to be controlled (temperature, correct medium [food supply]) and the H2 will have to be collected in some manner, pressurized, stored and transported.

I won't argue your point about pollution control. Indeed, having a centralized production facility/pollution source would be better than millions of individual sources - if all things were created equal. I'll be happy to argue (later) that things aren't equal and petroleum is the greatest gift mankind has ever been given (except salvation) - but I have a more important point.

The question is not what we use to power our automobiles. The question is: what can provide our total energy needs. Right now, coal and oil are it. Plant the entire arable land-area of the US with corn or sugar cane (for ethanol), then cover each of those corn-fields with millions of acres of windmills - and you still don't produce enough energy to supply the US' power needs.

So, reducing pollution to point sources is a great idea, but there is barely enough electrical power production to cover our home/industrial needs right now. If you tried (directly or indirectly) to power cars with electricity - either through electric cars or fuel cell cars - you would come up about 100% short.

Fossil fuels, nuclear power and increased efficiencies are the only viable solutions to our energy issues right now. IMHO, switchgrass, ethanol, biodiesel and the like are great ways to pour billions of dollars into systems that produce less power for marginal/non-existent reductions in pollution.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by vipertrunk

Fossil fuels, nuclear power and increased efficiencies are the only viable solutions to our energy issues right now. IMHO, switchgrass, ethanol, biodiesel and the like are great ways to pour billions of dollars into systems that produce less power for marginal/non-existent reductions in pollution.
Except for the biodiesel that comes from the McDs frying vats.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Nissan warns U.S. cellphones can disable car keys

DETROIT (Reuters) - Nissan North America (7201.T: Quote, Profile, Research has a warning for customers: placing your electronic key too close to your cellphone could leave you stranded.

The automaker is asking customers driving new models of two of its flagship sedans to keep their car keys and cellphones at least an inch apart to avoid disabling the "intelligent keys."

Cellphones kept near Nissan's I-Keys -- wireless devices designed to allow drivers to enter and start their cars at the push of a button -- can erase the electronic code on the keys, rendering them unable to unlock or start the cars.

The problem has occurred on the 2007 Nissan Altima and Infiniti G35 sedans -- two of their top-selling models, the company said on Thursday.

"We discovered that if the I-Key touches a cellphone, outgoing or incoming calls have the potential to alter the electronic code inside the I-Key," Nissan spokesman Kyle Bazemore said.

"The car won't start and the I-Key cannot be reprogrammed," he added.

The problem has occurred in a "very small percentage" of cars sold, Bazemore said. He also said a new version of the I-Key would be available in the fall.

Bazemore said current owners have been notified of the potential glitch via mail and can get new keys from dealers if they encounter the problem.
oops!!! You think an engineer would have figured this out during R&D.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Pinky all stinky

Holy crap, and I'm the type who has the keys in the same pocket as the cell phone.

But I alas don't have a new Altima, but damn I have been seeing them pop up everywhere!! Looks like this gen will sell better than the last gen.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Holy crap, and I'm the type who has the keys in the same pocket as the cell phone.

But I alas don't have a new Altima, but damn I have been seeing them pop up everywhere!! Looks like this gen will sell better than the last gen.

...and the new Altima looks real good in person...pics don't do it justice.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
New reason to call home (or tow company). LOL
Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,789 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S

...and the new Altima looks real good in person...pics don't do it justice.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
MUST be a "very small percentage" and only on those two models. We have I-keys on our 05 Murano and have never had a problem (particularly as my wife is a cell phone queen) nor have I ever heard of this before.

However, there have been a few occassions where we have gone to our garage to find the windows of our Murano wide open when NONE of us have opened them NOR recall pressing any keys on the FOB.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Burning Brakes

wonder why it doesn't happen to the infiniti M....hopefully they'll fix this problem...seems like they won't since they're giving a warning about the issue

Quick Reply: Nissan: Development and Technology News