Nissan: Development and Technology News

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nissan: Development and Technology News

Nissan aims to halve new model start-up cost, time

Reuters / September 26, 2003

YOKOSUKA, Japan (Reuters) -- Nissan Motor Co., Japan's third-largest auto maker, said on Friday it aimed to halve the start-up cost for producing new models by 2005, partly by reducing the number of vehicle platforms by two-thirds in Japan.

Through various methods, including new technology that allows the same assembly robots to work on an infinite number of models compared with the previous two or three, Nissan also aims to cut the time it takes to start production of a new model by half.

That could translate into tens of billions of yen in savings a year, since preparing a newly designed vehicle for production costs roughly three billion yen ($27 million) per model, a Nissan official said.

"In the past six to seven years, the pace that new models get old has accelerated," Executive Vice President Tadao Takahashi told reporters at Nissan's Oppama plant, south of Tokyo.

"It's extremely important for us to become more flexible in our production method," he added.

Nissan said it planned to introduce the more flexible production system at all 18 of its production lines around the world by 2005. In Japan, it aims to build most of its models on five platforms by 2005, compared with 15 at the end of 2001.

Nissan has been renewing record profits through higher sales and big cost cuts, especially through platform sharing and other forms of cooperation with 44 percent owner Renault.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

"Japan, it aims to build most of its models on five platforms by 2005, compared with 15 at the end of 2001."

That's impressive.

That's how you cut costs guys. That's how you're able to offer the 350Z for $30K and still manage to be profitable. Kudos to Nissan.

What pisses me off is that Renault was smart enough to merge with them before Ford or GM did. How low can you go?
Old 09-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't think its that renault was smart enough, rather ghosn is a genious. this never would have happened under ford or gm. the z would probably be a rebadged z28 under gm and the maxima would be an impala, lesabre, malibu, etc.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Homeless

The question is...Does getting cars to market faster help them make a better quality car???

I hope so, but sounds like they may be going in the other direction.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:47 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Nissan hustles 200 engineers to U.S

Since the Nissan Sqeak and rattle thread was closed, here's a follow up. Looks like Nissan's sent the reinforcements.

Nissan Motor Co. has dispatched about 200 engineers from Japan to address quality problems at Nissan's new assembly plant in Canton, Miss.

The engineers also are examining Nissan's car factory in Smyrna, Tenn., a component engineering center in Farmington Hills, Mich., and an unspecified number of supplier plants.

The move comes just weeks after Nissan's dismal showing in the 2004 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study of consumer perceptions of product quality. The first three nameplates launched at Canton - the Quest minivan, Titan full-sized pickup and Pathfinder Armada SUV - each scored last in their segments.

CEO Carlos Ghosn last week addressed Canton's quality issues during the Nissan shareholders' meeting in Tokyo.

"You can't expect a new plant to start to give the same level of efficiency as other plants which are 25 years old," he told shareholders.

According to the J.D. Power study, complaints about vehicles built in Canton ranged from wind noise, loose molding and brake pedal vibration to paint chips and blemishes.

The $1.4 billion Canton plant is only a year old. It was built in just two years. The assembly plant produces four all-new models using a new work force, a new U.S. engine operation and new suppliers.

Despite the quality problems, Nissan's U.S. sales are healthy. For the first five months of 2004, combined U.S. Nissan and Infiniti sales were up 28.2 percent.

But Kunihiko Shiohara, analyst at Goldman Sachs (Japan) Ltd., is alarmed. "Nissan tapped into new segments quickly," he says. "So it seems like Nissan gave quality a second priority."

Oh and Post 7000

:bananahump: :buff:
Old 06-28-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, 200 engineers...Nissan isnt fooling around

Congrats Domn! i think everyone will be noobs for a long time...
Old 06-28-2004, 11:08 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Makes you wonder if Honda will follow suit, since it seems like everyone's complaining about rattles in one Honda product or another.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:15 AM
6MT Snob

Honda better do something before they blow their rep

Of course there are enough die hard honda/acura people that it wont kill them but it wont help sales either.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:17 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I don't think Honda's rattle problems are nearly as severe. I think we can agree that the TSX and TL have rattle issues. But in the 6 or 7 combined TSX/TL mag reviews I've read rattling or int quality was never once mentioned.

In the Q56 review I read all the writers could do was talk about the rattlung and poor craftmanship. Same with with another Nissn Murano reveiw I read awhile back.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey congrads domn on the 7000 posts!

Sorry it's all I have to say, I have to admit I don't care much for Nissan.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Orangeblood

Solution A. Quit makin the interior door latch handles on the G35 out of chintzy plastic.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:24 PM

Well if you try to put a POS together it really doesn't matter. The parts they use are horrific in quality. Imagine 5 years from now, how they will look and feel. Like utter crap.

It's not a new plant thing. Camrys and Accords etc have been made here for awhile and did not have the 1st year problems Nissan is having.
It can't even cost that much to build a Nissan. The all use the same engine and what 3 platforms. No excuse for the cheap interiors, paint etc. They have money to burn.

They are going to waste their money though buiding a new headquarters in Yokohama, moving from Toyko. A sign of management letting things go to their heads.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:25 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Let's see.... we have gilbo carrying the BMW flag on this site and sicklex the one for Toyota..... who's the defender of Nissan? Anyone?
I can't think of anyone who chimes in whenever there's a Nissan issue like this.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Nissan's hybrid to turn up in '07

http://www.newsday.com/business/auto...eels-headlines

Nissan is planning to join the hybrid race, but drivers will have to wait at least a year for its first entry: a version of the midsize Altima, shown here as a prototype.

Due at dealerships at an unspecified date in 2006, the Altima hybrid will be sold as an '07 model. It'll be powered by a Nissan four-cylinder gasoline engine fitted with hybrid components sourced from Toyota, maker of the highly sought-after Prius hybrid, under an agreement between the two .automakers signed two years ago.

Nissan is promising a cleaner exhaust and the performance of a V-6 engine from the hybrid setup but isn't yet making any specific fuel-economy claims.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Pro

Motor Trend indicated that it may have 200 hp. I wonder if the Camary Hybrid use a V6 or the i4?
Old 08-07-2004, 02:00 AM
Race Director

That's what happens when you have to borrow stuff from other folks - time to market is delayed a lot. Honda and Toyota will have a 2 year head start on Nissan.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:44 AM

I think Nissan bought Toyota Hybrid tech.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:04 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
That's what I just said.

With his new post count sicklex's total is even more impressive considering this is not his main place to post.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:41 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
That's what I just said.

With his new post count sicklex's total is even more impressive considering this is not his main place to post.
seriously. he's a postaholic!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

It'll be powered by a Nissan four-cylinder gasoline engine fitted with hybrid components sourced from Toyota, maker of the highly sought-after Prius hybrid, under an agreement between the two automakers signed two years ago.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:29 PM

That's what I just said.

Damn, I straight read it. Then said the same damn thing.

I post therefore I am...
Old 08-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Is there any data that shows it as economically viable technology, unlike the Ford Escape hybrid? (ROI from the Escape hybrid premium range from 7-26 years depending on a few factors)

/bill
Old 08-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Let's see.... we have gilbo carrying the BMW flag on this site and sicklex the one for Toyota..... who's the defender of Nissan? Anyone?
I can't think of anyone who chimes in whenever there's a Nissan issue like this.
I'm almost two months late on this, but I'll chime in: I have a '97 pathfinder, my wife has an '02 X-Terra (purchased against my advice, but she thinks it's "CUTE"...epitome of the "Chick Car"). Although I detest the handling of the Xterra, my Pathfinder has been nothing but pleasure. I only bought the TSX after seeing it once online, and realizing it's the car for me. I've still got the P-Finder for winter use until the TSX proves me wrong. No rattles in either Nissan, and my '97 with nearly 100k miles is as strong as ever (well, okay, I had to replace the tranny after 95k miles, but that was my fault).

What it comes down to is this: Imports RULE regardless of make (excluding Hyundai and Kia), although I've had the best experience with: Honda/Acura, Toyota (no lexus in my stable), Nissan (no infinity in my stable either).

I think the fact that Nissan wants to fix the problem speaks volumes to their corporate policy. The fact that they're not only fixing the problem, but are essentially sand-blasting a soup cracker to do it (200 engineers??!?)...well, DAMN! If NIssan made a car as stylish and feature-filled as the TSX, I'd've bought it.

Boom, done.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by soopirV900
I think the fact that Nissan wants to fix the problem speaks volumes to their corporate policy. The fact that they're not only fixing the problem, but are essentially sand-blasting a soup cracker to do it (200 engineers??!?)...well, DAMN! If NIssan made a car as stylish and feature-filled as the TSX, I'd've bought it.

Boom, done.
With this, I agree. Granted, mistakes happen and things get screwed up. But fix the problem right away and avoid PR issues.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
Since the Nissan Sqeak and rattle thread was closed, here's a follow up. Looks like Nissan's sent the reinforcements.

Oh and Post 7000

:bananahump: :buff:

hey live in farmington hills michigan... :-D Damn nissan... i bought the FX35 to replace my TSX... sunroof leaking - still after 5 repairs, headlights dont work, interior lights dont work, gas tank dosnt fill up, xm cuts out

damnit :-\
Old 09-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Safety Car

Well, just got done reading a major horror story on a new accord with brake/abs probs, so the grass really isn't greener on the other side if you happen to get a lemon.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:58 PM
Safety Car

Oh and after three shots at a repair on the same component, entitles someone to a new car under the lemon law, you really should be looking into it if thats the case in your state.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its actually 4 in michigan, but i am currently in arbritration with teh BBB trying to get them to buy back... i am trying to avoid the lengthy court process of the lemon law
Old 03-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

New Nissan Tech: Lane Departure Prevention - Around View Monitor

Nissan technology uses vehicle's brakes to help keep cars in lanes - - By YUZO YAMAGUCHI | Automotive News - - Source: Autoweek

Nissan Motor Co. has developed technology that applies a vehicle's brakes automatically to keep it from drifting out of its lane. The device helps sleepy drivers, for example, avoid an accident.

Nissan also has created a system of cameras and a video monitor that help drivers park.

The devices were unveiled at a press event here last week.

In the Lane Departure Prevention system, a camera installed behind the windshield detects lane markers in front of the car. The system sends the driver a visual and audible warning when the car approaches within a few inches of the markers. The brakes are applied automatically on one side to help keep the car in its lane.

The device is deactivated when the driver uses the turn signal.

"We're looking at the use of this system in America ahead of other markets," says Yasuhiro Shiraishi, Nissan's senior manager of advanced vehicle engineering promotion group.

Shiraishi says 50 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities and serious injuries are caused by vehicles that veer out of lanes, compared with 30 percent in Japan.

Nissan plans to offer the safety device in some models, probably Infiniti vehicles, within three years. It most likely will be offered as an option.

The Infiniti M and FX series use a similar warning system, but it lacks a braking device to help keep a car in its lane.

Honda Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. offer a similar system. Honda's version is used in the Inspire and Accord in Japan. The Toyota device is available in the Japan-only Crown Majesta.

Meanwhile, Nissan's Around View Monitor uses four cameras mounted on the vehicle that create a top view of the car. The image is displayed on an interior monitor to help park the car.

Nissan is looking at using the system for global markets within five years. This could be more helpful in Japan, where streets and parking spaces are narrower than in the United States.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Nissan plans to offer the safety device in some models, probably Infiniti vehicles, within three years. It most likely will be offered as an option.
Sorry but that's 2 years too late.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gavriil
Sorry but that's 2 years too late.

what u mean?

infiniti has the lane departure warning system right now, but not an automatic braking system
The Infiniti M and FX series use a similar warning system, but it lacks a braking device to help keep a car in its lane.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Instructor

I like it more w/o the brake assist thing...so i dun have signal before I change lanes...sumthing i don't do when i drive with a little more enthusiasm
Old 03-10-2005, 04:50 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MaximaPower

what u mean?

infiniti has the lane departure warning system right now, but not an automatic braking system
ya, what are you talking about?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Nissan Opens New Detroit Design Center

Nissan Opens New Detroit Design Center - - By Paul A. Eisenstein - - Source: The Car Connection

Isn't it supposed to work the other way? Over the last couple decades, several dozen automakers have set up designs facilities in California, in order to get closer to that trend-setting market. But Nissan is formally dedicating a $15 million expansion of its styling center in Detroit , and could soon bring fifteen more designers onto its payroll. The center is adjacent to Nissan's Farmington Hills engineering center, a distinct advantage in efforts to speed cars from concept to production, but it also allows the automaker to get a better feel of what's going on in heartland America, explained Bruce Campbell, Vice President of Nissan Design America. The project tripled the size of the styling unit, to 50,000 square feet, and included some state-of-the-art equipment, including a huge clay milling machine. "For a designer, this is like waking up on Christmas morning and finding everything you asked for," said Campbell. Nissan is not alone. Other imports, including Toyota and Hyundai, have decided to tap into Michigan's design and engineering talent, setting up large research and design facilities outside Detroit.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Safety Car

I can see it now, Detroit - the import car capital of the world.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by heyitsme
I can see it now, Detroit - the import car capital of the world.
LOL
Old 06-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Nissan working on three new, updated models

Nissan working on three new, updated models - - Source: Autoweek

Nissan’s sub-Sentra model due in mid-2006 will be based on the next Japan-market Cube and the Nissan Sport Concept shown at New York, but won’t actually be either of those when it debuts at the Detroit show in January. Nissan vice president Jed Connelly says we can expect three new Nissans in the next 12 to 18 months: a new Sentra, the aforementioned entry-level sedan and a substantially updated Altima. We also get an Altima hybrid.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God I hope their styling improves with the next lineup. Just not happy with the altima/maxima look.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Racer

Are these going to be the new Renaults re-badged as Nissans? tHE Altima has done real well for NIssan.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:27 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Hope the Sentra is nice!

Quick Reply: Nissan: Development and Technology News