Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Post Mitsubishi: i MiEV Sport news

Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

Mitsubishi Motors Corporation is proud to introduce three concept cars at the 40th Tokyo Motor Show. Each car is a different expression of the three pillars of Mitsubishi Motor's vehicle strategy: driving pleasure, reassuring safety and environmental responsibility.

Based on the i MiEV, the pinnacle of Mitsubishi Motors's environmental technology, the i MiEV SPORT maximizes the sporty possibilities of the zero-emissions electric vehicle. The high power and environmental performance of its electric motors make it an exhilarating drive that delivers superior environmental performance.

Characteristics

Based on the i MiEV, the i MiEV SPORT enhances the "driving" image of Mitsubishi's electric vehicles. The car features Mitsubishi Motors' unique in-wheel motors in the front plus S-AWC (Super All Wheel Control) — the company's vehicle dynamics control system — to achieve high maneuverability as well as high levels of both environmental and running performance. The car brings a new closeness between people and cars; allowing them to become more a part of daily life.
Design

The "fastback" exterior design expresses the quickness of the car with an appearance that is pleasing and lively. An efficient, environmentally friendly electric vehicle thanks to its compact size, it also possesses exceptionally fluid styling. A simplified interior styling creates a pleasant space, allowing occupants to feel at home. Geometry, metallic materials and body epitomize the futuristic electric vehicle. Interior lighting, too, has been carefully thought out, with the use of many blue LEDs suggestive of nature, creating a sophisticated, cutting-edge atmosphere.

The light green exterior marks another association with nature. The pearlescent paint, which shines when hit with direct light, brings feelings of advanced, futuristic technology and environmental peace of mind. The interior is sporty and dynamic as a result of the substantial use of mesh materials, while the space, with various natural elements, fosters feelings of both security and comfort.

Packaging

Like the i MiEV, i MiEV Sport uses a rear-midship design in its layout. Making use of the relatively long wheelbase of this platform, a high-capacity lithium-ion battery is installed in the lowest area under the floor, and components including a motor and inverter are arranged beneath the luggage compartment. This layout provides optimal distribution of weight, front and rear, and a lower center of gravity for stability, sporty performance, and a spacious interior.

Body Structure

An aluminum space frame a combination of aluminum extrusions and aluminum die casting is light, rigid and strong; helping to improving performance by minimizing weight.

The optimum layout of structural members, including front-side and cross members, efficiently absorbs crash energy in the event of front-end or side collision. In a collision from the rear, EV components under the back seat and rear floor serve as a barrier to ensure the integrity of the passenger compartment. By making use of the rear-midship layout and utilizing Mitsubishi's latest RISE (Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution) body, the concept realizes excellent occupant protection in collisions from any direction, even when colliding with a vehicle of different height or weight.

Powertrain / S-AWC

The system employs a structure consisting of three permanent magnetic synchronous motors. One in-wheel motor is placed at each front wheel; a single motor drives the rear wheels, as is used in the "i MiEV" system. An E-4WD system electronically optimizes the output of all motors. In addition, a new E-AYC (Electric Active Yaw Control) system is employed to directly regulate torque at the left and right rear wheels via an electric motor. In addition to the E-4WD and E-AYC, the S-AWC system integrates ABS and ASC (Active Stability Control) systems, thus independently controlling driving force, traction and braking at all four wheels, for total maneuverability and maximum stability.

Energy Saving Technology/Environmental Technology

Energy-saving environmental considerations are seen throughout the i MiEV SPORT. Effective use of energy is achieved by installing an auxiliary photovoltaic generator on the roof, a power-generating fan inside the front grill, and regenerative braking functions to recover energy when the car is slowing down. Much of the lighting is by bright, power-saving LEDs, including in the rear combination lamps and vehicle interior, and the efficiency of the air conditioning is enhanced by the use of heat-absorbing window glass. In addition, Green Plastic Mitsubishi Motors' unique plant-based resin technology — is used wherever possible for interior components in another nod to the environment.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:36 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
hmm... don't know what to say about this one.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
it looks like a vw bug thats had its back squished
Old 10-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblewar
it looks like a vw bug thats had its back squished
thats the first thing I tought, a messed up VW bug.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Money is funny.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id rather drive a beetle...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:16 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Old 10-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Money is funny.

is that an isetta?
Old 10-05-2007, 02:03 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^
Old 02-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

New pics...

Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Back in a TL again.

inside looks cool
Old 02-19-2008, 10:46 PM
where is....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the evo ix miev they made but never produced........
Old 07-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...c-car-rating/1

Mitsubishi is today boasting of a double whammy when it comes to its new electric car. It not only will be cheaper to buy, but it will cost less in electricity to run than its major competitors.

The i, Mitsubishi Motor's all-electric vehicle, has garnered an EPA-rated 126 MPGe (that's gas-mileage equivalency, meaning how its electricity use would compare if it ran on gasoline) for city driving and 99 MPGe for highway driving. These numbers compare to Chevrolet Volt's 95 city/90 highway when running on electricity alone without its gas engine, or the all-electric Nissan Leaf's 106 city/92 highway.

"It means our electric drive train is more efficient. We will cost you less to operate," says Mitsubishi spokesman Moe Durand. "It will make the best use of its electricity."

But bear in mind, the i is a subcompact. The other two are considered larger, or compacts. As such, Durand says it may not be entirely fair to compare i to Leaf and Volt.

The new i, a horrible name which previously was the equally bad iMiEV, won't have the best range on a single charge. Mitsubishi says it will have a range of 62 miles before the battery needs to be recharged. The Leaf, by contrast, is rated at 73. The Volt only goes 35 miles on electricity alone, but the backup gas engine means there's no danger of being stranded without juice.

Mitsubishi will have a price advantage:

It will start at $27,990 for the base model before shipping charges are added. That's about $5,000 less than a Leaf and $13,000 less than a Volt.

"We feel that with the combination of capability, affordability, and high level of efficiency offered by the 2012 Mitsubishi i will prove very appealing to consumers considering EV transportation," says Yoichi Yokozawa, CEO of Mitsubishi Motors North America.

The i is now available for pre-order, arriving early in 2012.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Race Director

To go along with this:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...lectric-cars/1

Federal safety regulators will propose a rule for required noisemakers to alert pedestrians for all electric vehicles and hybrids can run on the electric motor alone.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will propose a rule requiring EVs to have a noise system that sounds the alert under specified conditions and which does not require any action by the driver or pedestrian to sound, according to a notice published on its website today and reported by Bloomberg News.

The regulation, required by the pedestrian safety law passed last year by Congress and signed by President Obama in January, also will cover light and low-speed vehicles, motorcycles, buses and heavy-duty trucks.

"With more and more quiet vehicles on the road, we have to consider their effect on pedestrians," NHTSA Administrator David Strickland said in a statement.

NHSTA first held a public forum about pedestrian safety risks posed by hybrids and EVs in 2008. In a 2009 report, it found a higher rate of pedestrian accidents associated with hybrid vehicles than with gasoline vehicles. An April 2010 report determined that such quiet cars, when running on electric motors only, were a safety risk to visually impaired walkers.

It could be years before the rule will take effect. NHTSA has until July 4 next year to write standards for the noise system, then has until Jan. 4, 2014 to publish the final rule. Covered electric and hybrid vehicles would then have to comply beginning with production in September of the calendar year beginning three years after the final rule.

The controversy has been brewing and automakers have seen it coming. General Motors' Chevrolet Volt plug-in car already has a noise alert, but the drive must pull the turn-signal handle. The Nissan Leaf electric car has a forward alert at low speed and a rear alert when backing up.

Among hybrids, the new Infiniti M35h hybrid has a noise system that we explained the details in Drive On in an earlier post here and the new Hyundai Sonata makes a synthesized gas engine noise when it's running on electric only. The Sonata system was to have an on/off switch, but Hyundai deleted that when the law passed.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Race Director

Biker, who wonders if Ferrari has a patent on the sound their engines emit.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
ewww