Old 02-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,769 Likes on 13,963 Posts

Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 5,371 Likes on 3,682 Posts
Old 02-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Still my all time favorite SUV. I love how they keep updating this thing.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:44 AM

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/suv...rcedes-amg-g63

All-new AMG’d G-Wagen matches an AMG GT R for power. Yikes.

This is the new Mercedes G-Class you’ve been waiting for. The all-new, 21st Century G-Class subjected to the maniacal desires of AMG. It’s the new G63, people. And it’s very, very brawny.

Behind a face squarer than David Coulthard’s lives the familiar 4.0-litre bi-turbo AMG V8. In days gone by, AMG detuned its V8s for service in the G-Class, because its Bronze Age chassis couldn’t cope with the potency of modern German muscle. But this, despite looking just as archaic as the G always has, is an all-new G on an all-new platform. And it can handle the power.

So, the new G63 develops 577bhp. That’s an identical power output to what you find in the AMG GT R. Forty per cent of that arrives at the front wheels, and sixty per cent is sent to the back (past two pairs of side-exit exhaust along the way), via a nine-speed automatic gearbox.

As a result, this shipping container with headlights is properly fast. AMG has clocked it from 0-62mph in 4.5 seconds – that’s 0.9 seconds quicker than the old G63 – and it’ll bully oncoming air all the way to 136mph. Select the AMG Driver Package (why wouldn’t you?) and it’ll romp on to 149mph.

Satisfied with the speed achieved by a block of flats with door mirrors, AMG has set about making its luxury monster truck more efficient, we kid you not. Under light throttle openings – as if any G63 owners know what they are – the V8 shuts down four of its cylinders, helping claimed fuel consumption of 21.4mpg, and 299 CO2s per km. Those are whopping improvements of 1 mile-per-gallon and 23g/km.

Mercedes has also carried over its new G-Class off-road innovations to the G63. New transfer case gear ratios and intelligent diffs are on board so that, should, say, a breakfast radio DJ attempt an off-piste excursion, the G63 won’t need towing out by a Land Rover. Oh, the shame.

Meanwhile, the suspension is tougher, less roly-poly, and offers three levels of stiffness via a button. And if that doesn’t obliterate the ride quality, then there are options of 21 or 22-inch wheels which ought to do the trick.

No word on prices yet, but a retro-styled ex-military 4x4 wearing side-exit exhausts and a grille you could griddle elk on is hardly down the rational end of the purchase scale, we’d wager. And that’s why every dream garage ought to have one.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:44 AM

Old 02-13-2018, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Hmm...the AMG seems to have a more pronounced expression? Or is it just me...?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 AM

As much as I covet a G-wagen, this one seems to have a 'softer' front end. Not sure if I'm liking it as much.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
I think in order to compete with the other high horse powered SUVs in looks, they had to rice it out.
however; that isnt the appeal of the past AMG G-wagons..to me the appeal was sticking a 500-700hp engine into a classic G-wagon body.
looks like it's trying hard to be a Jeep
Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM
99 TL, 06 E350

Received 164 Likes on 110 Posts
I found a photo of what they designed this beast from:

Old 02-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Black Tire
I found a photo of what they designed this beast from:

Well, it's a darn sexay brick.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 01:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I will be seeing all the desperate housewives driving this thing in Beverly Hills in no time.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 890 Likes on 680 Posts
I can appreciate a lot of things about these and my cousin buys these exclusively for his wife every couple years, but honestly they have just never appealed to me. I don’t know why, I just don’t get as turned on to them as other people do. I realize they have a bit of a status symbol and that is a huge component of it, but I don’t know, I just don’t feel it.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:54 AM

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/18/1...19-first-drive

We were never supposed to want the Mercedes-Benz G-Class, but we do. How can we resist its talents? On a recent trip to southern Europe, I drove it on its side, hovering on two wheels at one point as I dangled above a steep incline. Gravel spit, rocks flew from my wheels, and my adrenaline rushed. I am happy to report that I didn’t flip the vehicle on this precarious adventure.

Mercedes is betting that the well-to-do will continue to prefer these mini luxury tanks for the foreseeable future, even if most of its customers will buy into the idea of its powers rather than executing its moves in reality. We saw the G-Wagen, as it’s also known, make its swaggering entrance at the North American International Auto Show in January.

This fall, two redesigned models will go on sale: the G550 and even more powerful G63 AMG. Mercedes found a way to revive its old-school essence, and it doubled down on making a more complex, practical, and technically savvy ride.

I spent a few days tooling around southern Europe in the production G-Class this spring to get a sense of how past and present converge. I began in Languedoc-Roussillon deep in the French countryside and wound my way west into the Pyrenees Mountains that serve as the natural border between Spain and France, named for the Greek mythological princess Pyrene, the lover of Heracles. I passed quaint cottages nestled in the valley and forlorn hitchhikers who stared me down. (It was an uncomfortable reminder of what it means to flaunt a six-figure super vehicle.)

Was is it my imagination, or did the G-Class receive a few low-level whistles when I drove down cobblestone streets through misty Catalonian towns over the Spanish border? I ended up in the bustling Barcelona city center, a few blocks from where Mobile World Congress is held, blasting me from mythology back into the modern day.

Though the G-Class preserves its classic looks, it feels modern inside. Climbing up into the cabin of G-Wagen is an emboldening experience. It has always required a hoist of the body and is not for the out-of-shape or petite. Mercedes has made its interior changes overt.

A few staple cues have been modernized, like round air vents that mirror the front headlights and a grab-bar in front of the passenger seat that’s made from a substantial wood. It also added comfy seats with the option for a body-hugging massage. It has several USB ports, and a slick Burmester sound system. It shed its campy, rugged feel for a high-gloss treatment that includes an option for a slick digital dual-screen, similar to other new Mercedes models, and it uses the Mercedes-branded Comand infotainment system. The screen layout is adaptable in three different views — classic, sport, and progressive — which tells you a lot about how Mercedes thinks about the people who drive this vehicle.

The biggest issue with the horizontal wide-screen panel is its placement on the dash. The steering wheel blocks much of the wide-screen view, where Comand functions are housed. I found myself ducking in search of information. And no matter how I positioned the wheel, I couldn’t find a clear line of sight. It’s a problem dictated by the G’s inherent proportions.

To maneuver around this system, there’s a choice between thumb-clicking the pads on the side of the wheel or using the touchpad above the arm rest that’s wired with “haptic impulses.” The electrical functions change the screen setting as you hover your hand over the joystick. When the car was in park, I leaned directly over the console to take photos and promptly confused the system as it started scrolling through screen options at a delirious rate. The purpose of this setup is to prevent the driver from looking down while driving. And while it’s the right move to prevent distraction, it could use further refinement on execution. There’s a sense of disconnect in this process. Using this system is never quite intuitive. A heads-up display seems like it would be more useful, especially in off-roading mode. An in-car hologram would be even better.

In lieu of the massive screen, there’s also an option for traditional gauges paired with the 12.3-inch screen that’s housed in the center console. What the G-Wagen lacks so far is the new MBUX system. (Mercedes designers told me there wasn’t time to incorporate it.) The rollout of MBUX, which The Verge tested at CES, debuts in the A-Class and the Sprinter van this summer. When it eventually makes its way to G-Wagen, it will be interesting to see how this improved system changes the way the driver interacts with a car that sits high up and is equipped to do so much more than cruise.

The most noticeable shift in the G-Wagen is the way it drives. Mercedes changed the internal architecture and added new front suspension with an independent double wishbone front axle that works in tandem with its rear. This engineering move is a performance game-changer, and it makes the G-Class a much smoother handler.

During my excursion, I gave the G-Class a whirl in the backcountry. I drove it up sharp hills that made my stomach turn. I maneuvered the vehicle to hug along a narrow shoulder and ignored my fear of heights and the sharp drop at my side. Somewhere in this stretch, I maneuvered onto two wheels, aided by a few subtle cues from a co-driver. Back down in the valley, I coasted through a spring filled with high, muddy waters that licked at my windows. To accomplish these feats, three differential locks positioned on the center console— full front, center, and rear differential — adapt to the way the vehicle tackles its task.
Part of the reason I was able to execute these risky moves is the additional “G-Mode,” a system that adjusts the way the vehicle responds to steering, gear changes, and acceleration. It makes you feel like a better off-road driver than you are when you take on the rough landscape. In G-Mode, you can alter the screen to get more information about what’s happening outside of the car, including a 360-degree camera that allows you to see beyond the sightline of the wheel. I even backed up a steep incline that made me dizzy. Most drivers will never attempt this foolishness, but bragging rights are part of G’s backstory. It doesn’t just look like an army toy; it behaves like an all-terrain Star Wars vehicle sidekick.
On the exterior, its proportions, square physique, and substantial size make it instantly identifiable (though most of those have been altered slightly). It’s both longer and wider. Only a handful of design cues remain from recent model years, including the door handles, spare tire cover, and part of the headlights. Aluminum is used on the side panels, which lightens up the overall weight and improves efficiency.

The biggest difference between the G550 and the G63 models are performance bragging rights. The G63 has a bigger engine, which produces 577 horsepower, bigger wheels, and AMG badging as part of its offering. What all the Gs lack, of course, is a cap on the use of petrol. To maintain its classic form, it relinquishes aerodynamics, and all that power, so far, doesn’t translate to a comparable electric powertrain. But since the average G-Class driver owns several other cars, they can balance out their carbon footprint with something more fuel-conscious, if they so choose.

Who drives the funky G-Wagen? It’s still an anomaly to see one on the road, which is part of its decadent fun. It takes considerable cash to play in this field. Pricing hasn’t been announced, but it’s likely to start around at least $125,000 for the G550 and in the $150,000 range for the G63 AMG.

From the beginning, G-Wagen’s ascent to a showy American status symbol was a fluke. In the mid-1970s, the Shah of Iran was among those that spurred its development process, and preordered a small fleet. By the time partners Steyr, Daimler, and Puch brought the first Geländewagen to market in 1979, the Shah was no longer in power.G became the iconic Popemobile of choice in 1980. It has always been boxy and brash but also beguiling. Early models featured chunky plaid seats intended for both military and agricultural purposes, and it only made 71 horsepower.

G-Wagens were made into firetrucks and ambulances. There was even a convertible model still coveted by car collectors. Its distinction drove demand, and soon, third-party importers brought the G-Wagen Stateside. It grew into the ultimate symbol for bling when it was officially introduced to the US market in 2003 as the G-Class in official Mercedes-Benz lineup. It became a movie star, ubiquitous with badass, featured in Die Hard, Jurassic World, and The Bourne Supremacy. The G-Wagen was the leading figure throughout the stars and cars era, as demonstrated through the lens of Kardashian GoPros, and more recently, on Logan Paul’s YouTube channel.

But driving the G as an everyday car had its cons. It was so loud that you could barely have a conversation; it had heavy, awkward doors that were hard to shut; and its rigid, rickety handling was unforgiving on public roads. The interior felt downright dated, in a not-cool way that bordered on tacky tech, and the high-backed seats could be punishing on long excursions. With this model, that legacy could be left in the past.

It’s clear from all of the careful changes that Mercedes is recasting the new G as a more viable super-fancy SUV. The timing for this vision appears to be right. SUVs have locked down the markets as the go-to choice for most buyers. Ford, excluding the Mustang and upcoming Focus, will cease production on passenger cars. But the question is: do we have our version of the future all wrong? The G-Wagen might not sell as well as the more compact GLE made by Mercedes, but that’s because the G-Wagen is meant to stay exclusive. It’s not for everyone because of the cost and the sheer audacity it takes to helm such a statement-maker. But what it does do is instill desire. People still do love sitting up high in their SUVs and packing in extra storage options. Perhaps the self-driving future will be led — or inspired — by big, badass-looking toy think tanks.

If not, at least in the present moment for both stylists and survivalists, the G-Wagen makes its case for storming the streets with swagger.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:00 PM

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ck-in-reverse/

Mercedes-Benz has an all-new G-Class with advanced features like an independent front suspension and a steering system that doesn't originate from the middle ages. But there's a problem for twenty owners of the 2017 G65 in North America, which is still based on the original 463 chassis.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says that you should visit your dealer. Yep, the one that managed to sell you what's arguably the worst and most overpriced variant of the entire G-Class lineup. Why the recall? It's because the ECU software probably won't stop you from exceeding 16 mph in reverse. And with all the weight of a six-liter twin-turbo V12 up front, when you hit 17 mph in reverse, things could really get out of hand.

Not to worry though. As mentioned above, NHTSA says only twenty G65s are impacted in the United States, and Mercedes-Benz will fix them with a simple software upgrade, free of charge. After that your $222,700+ G should be just fine in reverse. Especially if you drive it forward, dead straight, in the middle of an L.A. traffic jam.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:22 AM

https://carbuzz.com/news/brabus-turn...hp-monster-suv

Now just imagine what the tuner can do with the new G63.

The all-new Mercedes G-class finally made its debut earlier this year, so it was only a matter of time before renowned German tuner Brabus enhanced the iconic off-roader to make it more brutal. The company’s new tuning package adds an extra 78 hp and 74 lb-ft of torque, cranking the total output up to a hefty 500 hp at 5,600 rpm and a monumental 524 lb-ft of torque between 2,250 and 4,250 rpm.

This power boost enables the SUV to accelerate from 0-62 mph in just 5.7 seconds before reaching an electronically limited top speed of 130 mph. All that power is sent through the G500’s nine-speed automatic transmission, or the gears can be manually operated using Brabus' aluminum paddle shifters on the steering wheel.

As well as modifying the powertrain, the Brabus-tuned Mercedes G500 comes with a host of visual enhancements. Customers can choose from a large selection of Monoblock alloy wheels designed specifically for the new G-Class ranging from 20 to 23 inches. The largest wheels are wrapped in 305/35 R23 tires. Adding to the SUV’s striking appearance is a new carbon fiber hood with a carbon scoop, a custom grille, roof-mounted LED lights, and an integral spoiler that reduces front-axle lift at high speeds while improving the handling stability.

For an additional cost, customers can also add a stainless sport exhaust system with actively controlled flaps and two chrome tailpipes exiting on each side designed specifically for the new Mercedes G 500. The exhaust note can be actively controlled by selecting either a restrained “coming home” mode or an ear-splitting sport mode that unleashes the G500’s powerful V8 t its full potential.

As with other Brabus models, the interior can be fully customized with fine leather and Alcantara materials, offering endless possibility in color variety and design. A huge variety of wood components and carbon fiber elements are also available. Let's hope it doesn't take long for Brabus to bump up the new G63's power.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Old 09-11-2018, 04:46 PM

Old 12-04-2018, 11:57 AM

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/28261...3-first-drive/

2019 Mercedes-AMG G63 First Drive: G-sus Christ Supercar

This old-looking dog learns some new tricks.

The 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63 is a silly thing. Rolling on summer tires and weighed down by heavy-duty off-road kit that includes a transfer case and a meaty front-mounted bullbar, the G63 is simultaneously a subpar vehicle for tackling trails and clipping apexes. And yet, I’m smitten with the body-on-frame SUV as I push its immense mass through the winding desert roads and dirt-covered turnoffs just east of San Diego.

Mercedes isn’t ready to divulge how many pounds the model packs, but if the redesigned G550’s 375-pound diet is anything to go by, then the G63 ought to clock in at approximately 5,500 pounds. Or almost a half-ton greater than the mid-size Mercedes-AMG E63S sedan.

The G doesn’t hide its heft, either, and this big box has an inevitable tendency to keel and drag its front wheels at the limit. As with its predecessor, the new G63 provides the nostalgic sensation of driving a vehicle from a bygone era: the steering is slow and numb, the brake pedal is rather wooden, and there is copious amounts of body roll.

Still, there’s an innate charm to the G63, and the second-generation model boasts a new-found sense of confidence in its controls that improves its agility without sacrificing its allure. In place of the prior model’s vague, hydraulic-assist, recirculating-ball steering system, the new G comes equipped with a modern electric-assist, rack-and-pinion setup that builds weight naturally and does away with the old SUV’s Grand Canyon-sized on-center dead spot. Likewise, the brakes apply force progressively, while an independent front suspension system, which replaces the previous model’s live unit, and six-inch wider front and rear tracks allow the new G63 to grip the asphalt without feeling as though it’s on the verge of tipping over.

The real magic, however, rests underhood. Subbing in for last year’s twin-turbocharged 5.5-liter V8 engine is a twin-turbocharged 4.0-liter V8. In spite of its smaller displacement, the hand-built bent-eight packs an extra 14 horsepower and 66 pound-feet of torque over its forebear. The stable now houses 577 horses, while 627 pound-feet of twist is available at a low 2,500 RPM.

Thanks to a fiery new nine-speed automatic transmission and an all-wheel-drive system that defaults to sending 60 percent of the engine’s power to the rear axle (the old G63 sported a seven-speed gearbox and sent 50 percent of the engine’s power to each axle), the 2019 G63 manages to accelerate with the tenacity of a classic American muscle car.

Mercedes claims the trot to 60 mph takes 4.4 seconds – 0.9 seconds ahead of the prior G63 and equal to that of the Mercedes-AMG GT53 4-Door. Top-speed stands at an electronically limited 137 mph, but, an available Driver’s package can push the G63 to 149 mph. Fuel economy figures remain under wraps, but it’s safe to assume the G63 will gulp gas at a greater rate than the G550, which the EPA rates at an unremarkable 13 MPG city, 17 MPG highway, and 14 MPG combined.

The powertrain evinces a Jekyll and Hyde duality, and the V8 engine is equally as happy to lope around at low speeds in San Diego traffic as it is exploding toward its 7,000-RPM redline on the long straights surrounding Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. These qualities are further exacerbated by way of the SUV’s drive modes, which include Slippery, Comfort, Sport, Sport Plus, and Individual settings (the latter of which allows the driver to mix and match the various drive settings into one drive selectable option). I tend to leave the G63 in its softer Comfort setting, although more vigorous sections of the drive compel me to occasionally swap to the racy Sport Plus mode for its additional steering weight, stiffer damping, and snappier throttle response and gear changes.

There’s no point in taking the G63 off-road, though, as the AMG model lacks the rubber needed to take advantage of its three-locking differential (center, front, and rear), low-range transfer case, and 9.5 inches of available ground clearance. While the 22-inch Goodyear Eagle F1 tires are robust instruments on tarmac, the sticky shoes are feeble contraptions on unpaved surfaces.

Instead, I acclimate myself with the off-road prowess of the Geländewagen from the tiller of a 416-hp G550 wearing 18-inch Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires. Toiling across the dusty roads and puttering over the jagged rocks that line Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area is as simple as brewing a cup of instant coffee. With the center-differential locked, the G550 bullishly climbs its way up steep hills and through soft sand without protest. My only jobs are to steer the Benz-badged box away from protruding rocks and to be judicious with the throttle when going downhill, as the G-Class forgoes a hill-descent control system. (Fortunately, with low-range engaged, first-gear offers plenty of engine braking to effectively negate the need for such a system.)

With a proper set of tires, the G63 is sure to best the G550 on the rough stuff. Thank the trio of off-road drive modes (Sand, Trail, and Rock) that are exclusive to the AMG.

Regardless of the terrain below, both G-Class models coddle their occupants in cosseting interiors. Credit a 1.6-inch longer wheelbase and a 4.8-inch wider cabin that allow the German SUV to offer an additional 1.5 inches of leg and shoulder room to front occupants and an extra 5.9 inches of legroom and 1.1 inches of shoulder room to those occupying the three-across, 60/40-split folding rear bench seat. In conjunction with modern features such as a push-button start system, a 12.3-inch infotainment screen, and a folding armrest for rear passengers (finally), the G-Class now offers the comforts expected in a vehicle donning the three-pointed star.

Options are many, and the G63 I helm includes $500 worth of suede-like material on the meaty AMG-specific steering wheel, $850 for a 12.3-inch digital gauge cluster (an analog speedometer and tachometer come standard), $1,300 in Black Flamed open-pore Ash Wood, a $1,500 carbon-fiber engine cover, $2,300 worth of Cardinal Red Metallic paint, a set of 22-inch multi-spoke wheels for $3,950, and the $7,200 Exclusive Interior Package Plus, which adds a frameless rearview mirror, suede-like headliner, a leather-covered dashboard, heavily bolstered massaging front seats with heating and cooling functions, diamond stitching on the seats and door panels, and special floor mats, bringing the total cost to $166,095 (including a $995 destination charge). Skip the extras, and the cost of entry falls to $147,500 – $23,000 more than the base price of the less powerful G550.

Although the 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63 is a significant improvement over its predecessor, it remains an antiquated apparatus that’s neither a particularly good track tool (there are Mercedes SUVs that work in such a place) nor a device well-suited for exploring unpaved environments (at least without decent rubber). Still, the G63 is the rare sort of vehicle that makes every drive feel like a momentous occasion. Yes, it’s silly, but it’s also divine.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:42 PM

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ero-to-60-mph/

You know the Mercedes-Benz G-wagen is absurd, which is precisely why you (and we) love it. It's crazy that a decades-old, severely compromised, utilitarian military box could rise to prominence among the glitterati who don't even know what a differential lock is, much less ever once engage one of the G's phalanx of them. It's one of life's (and the U.S. market's) little mysteries. It's also one that Mercedes-Benz was smart not to question, instead just continuing to crank them out at prices that top $200,000.

Now there's an all-new 2019 model—well, all new except the high-effort door latches, door handles, and spare-tire carrier that hangs off the back, all of which carry over—its first major redesign since its inception in 1979. And we're happy to report that although it now has a proper Mercedes interior and rides, drives, and corners far better than before, it's still plenty ridiculous.

Take this, for example: At the test track, with a whole lot of right foot spooling up as much of the hand-built 577-hp twin-turbo 4.0-liter V-8’s 627 lb-ft of torque as possible, our $175,945 G63 rears up so violently at launch and the steering goes so light, it feels like there might be a little air beneath its front tires. That's right: the nearly three-ton beast damn near wheelies.

At 5783 pounds, this latest G63 is 178 pounds lighter. That certainly helps a bit, but the staggering 3.9-second zero-to-60-mph time is mostly thanks to the locomotive thrust from the new 4.0-liter, which is characterized by a full helping of cigarette-boat-like blat and burble. These must be particularly strong horses, too, as, officially, there's only an additional 14 onboard (plus two more transmission ratios). But it's not only quicker everywhere than the previous G63 with its 563-hp twin-turbo 5.5-liter V-8—swifter passing times, 0.8 second speedier in the quarter-mile at 12.5 seconds, and more than two seconds quicker to 120 mph—it's louder, too. Chalk one up for engine downsizing.

Be impressed. This is no Lamborghini Urus, people. It has freaking 9.5 inches of ground clearance, plus quite a bit more in front when you stomp on it. It is, definitively, the heaviest vehicle ever to crack into the threes in our testing, and a mere 0.4 second slower than the relatively featherweight 707-hp Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk’s best accelerative efforts.

It handles far better than before, too, although you shouldn't conflate "better" and "good." We measured skidpad grip of 0.75 g, which some might point out is considerably worse than what a Honda Ridgeline pickup can do. But—come on—maintain perspective. This is a nearly 20 percent improvement, sure to keep many a potential debutante from debutanting in a negative light.

We won't bother mentioning our average fuel economy. Okay, fine, it was 12 mpg. Gotta keep it ridiculous. Keeps the rational riffraff away.

C/D TEST RESULTS: 2019 MERCEDES-AMG G63 (CHANGE FROM 2016 G63)
Zero to 60 mph: 3.9 sec (-0.9)
Zero to 100 mph: 10.0 sec (-1.5)
Zero to 120 mph: 15.6 sec (-2.3)
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.1 sec (-0.5)
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 2.8 sec (-0.2)
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 3.3 sec (-0.4)
Standing ¼-mile: 12.5 sec @ 110 mph (-0.8 sec, +3 mph)
Braking, 70–0 mph: 161 ft (-2)
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.75 g (+0.12)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:49 AM

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/mer...40-years-old#1

In 1969, Joachim Zahn of Daimler-Benz and Karl Rabus of Austrian carmaker Steyr-Daimler-Puch got together with the intention of collaborating on an all-conquering off-road vehicle that would also be able to handle on tarmac.

That was 50 years ago. And yes, we said the G was only 40, because product development wasn’t quite as rapid back in those days, and it was a full decade before the wraps came off the very first G-Class in Toulon, 1979.

Back then it was a utilitarian rival for the Land Rover Defender and was extremely accomplished in the rough stuff. However, over the years it has developed its own brand – becoming one of the most in-demand city cars for the image-conscious, despite looking remarkably similar to the original.

So, just how did we get to where the G is today? Click through to find out…

The original 1979 G was an off-road king – and it certainly knew it. On launch, you could have your G-Class in three different body styles (open-topped with a canvas roof, a closed station wagon or panel van style with closed side walls). You could then also select from a range of four engines and even two different wheelbase lengths – meaning whatever you needed to do, it could get you there.

Press shots were way cooler back in 1979. Potential buyers clearly needed to know how well the G could jump at the top of a sand dune. The original G-Class had the moniker 460, and it wasn’t updated until 1990 when the 463 was introduced.

Although the aim was to make an off-road car that still worked on-road, the 1979 G-Class was clearly not a luxurious thing. Most of the time spent engineering must have gone on the locking diffs, rigid axles and coil springs – with little time left over for interior (or exterior) design.

We said the original could get you anywhere no matter what you needed to do, and we weren’t lying. In 1980 Merc decided to paint a 230 G in mother-of-pearl and fit a giant Perspex box on the back for Pope John Paul II and his worldly travels.

In 1983 the G then proved its multipurpose credentials even further, by securing victory in the Paris–Dakar rally at the hands of Jacky Ickx and Claude Brasseur. How mighty does it look with that Texaco livery?

After its introduction in 1990, the 463 G-Class was so popular that it remained in production until 2018 with limited alterations. It was this iteration that brought a more luxurious interior and ever bigger engines though, and thanks to the series of different updates the G became somewhat of a status symbol. This 2009 G500 housed a stonking great V8, but in 2002 AMG managed to squeeze in a 6.3 litre V12.

We don’t quite know what they were smoking throughout 2013 over at Mercedes and AMG, but there must have been one hell of a party when the bosses signed off on a production run of 6x6 G-Wagens. Also, look, it’s a dune jumping press shot again!

In 2015 the engineers were let loose once again. They came up with this, the G 500 4x4² - billing it as the ultimate off-road G-Class. The 4x4² used the portal axles from the 6x6 and deployed three separate lockable diffs. Just check out that ground clearance.

The new G-Class arrived in 2018 and was huge news. The car had developed a cult following and Merc had to get things right. To accompany the launch in Detroit, the Germans encased a 1979 model in the world’s biggest installation of synthetic resin. Right.

Get things right they did though. The new G-Class has been a huge success and doesn’t stray too far from its classic roots. The first off the production line in Austria was this monster of a G63.

The only other option here in the UK is this – the entry-level G350d, which will still cost a six-figure sum once you’ve specced it up. Here at TG then we’d say embrace the madness and splash out on the G63. Here’s to the next 40 years.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
The demand for these things is insane. Still up to 20-30k markup by some dealers. Then people mod them right away. What a market!

https://vossenwheels.com/galleries/m...series-hf-3-2/
Old 02-21-2019, 10:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Old 02-27-2019, 04:25 PM

https://jalopnik.com/the-new-mercede...ess-1832932693

The newly redesigned Mercedes G-Wagen, the expensive body-on-frame off-roader that for the first time ever has independent front suspension, was crashed tested by the European New Car Assessment Program, and the results are exemplary. Just watch as this boxy fortress shrugs off barriers and avoids pedestrians with ease.

“Mercedes-Benz’s rugged G-Class also comes in with a five-star rating with an impressive performance in each of the four areas of assessment,” Euro NCAP says in its press release, lauding the G-Class’ safety assist systems, as well as its ability to protect adult occupants, child occupants, and pedestrians. Here’s a look at the G-Wagen being put through the wringer.

You can read Euro NCAP’s full report here, but the gist of it is that the vehicle scored 90 percent, 83 percent, and 78 percent in the areas of adult occupant protection, child occupant protection, and “vulnerable road user” protection, respectively. The Magna Steyr-built poshmobile did especially well in side impact testing, managing 16 out of 16 points for adult occupant protection and managing the full 8 points for child protection.

The G-Wagen also managed a 72 percent in the “safety assist” category, thanks to a good Automatic Emergency Braking system, as well as features like a seat belt reminder and speed limit assist, though apparently the lane keeping system isn’t great. From Euro NCAP’s report:

The AEB system gave generally good results in tests of its functionality at highway speeds. The car has a lane assistance system which helps prevent inadvertent drifting out of lane but can also intervene in some more critical situations. The speed control system uses digital mapping combined with a camera to identify what the local speed limit is and to inform the driver, who can then set the limiter to the appropriate speed. A seatbelt reminder is standard for front and rear seats.
The new G-Wagen has been receiving rapturous driving impressions from journalists, and now it has scored top safety marks. Plus it looks good. It took Mercedes decades to finally do a major G-Class redesign, but it appears to be paying off.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:33 PM

https://www.motor1.com/news/314487/m...0-diesel-leak/

The G 400d would offer European buyers a more potent diesel option.

A new listing from German insurance company HUK24 indicates that a Mercedes-Benz G 400d diesel is on the way soon to European buyers. To lend further credence to this addition to the lineup, HUK24 previously predicted the power for the Mercedes-AMG GT R Roadster and Mercedes-AMG A45 S.

The listing shows the G 400d using a 3.0-liter engine producing 326 horsepower (242 kilowatts). It would likely be available alongside the existing G 350d in Europe that produces 282 hp (210 kW). HUK24 doesn't list the G 400d's torque rating, but it should be higher than the G 350d's 443 pound-feet (600 Newton-meters). The insurance firm also doesn't mention the transmission, but all other non-AMG G-Class variants have a nine-speed automatic.

The G 350d has a 3.0-liter inline six turbodiesel. It's powerful enough to push the boxy SUV to 62 miles per hour (100 kilometers per hour) in 7.4 seconds. The top speed is 124 mph (199 kph). With an extra 44 hp, the G 400d should be even more potent.

In Germany, the G 350d starts at 95,021.50 euros ($107,868 at current exchange rates), so the G 400d would be somewhat more expensive than this figure. However, it might still undercut the gas-fueled G 500's starting cost of 107,040.50 euro ($121,506).

Like the G 350d, don't expect to see the G 400d in American showrooms. Mercedes is putting a greater emphasis on electrification in the United States rather than offering a wide range of diesel powerplants.

In the U.S, the G-Class is currently available as the 416-hp G 550 for $124,500 and 577-hp G 63 AMG for $147,500.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:55 AM

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/20...ge-in-the-u-s/

Mercedes-Benz has revealed that the 2020 AMG G63 is getting an AMG Trail package in the United States.

The announcement was made in a lengthy press release published by the German car manufacturer late last week. Details were scant with it simply stating that the optional AMG Trail Package would come with all-terrain tires.

Intrigued, Car and Driver got in contact with a spokesperson from Mercedes-AMG who confirmed that the G63 is indeed getting an off-road tire option in the U.S. Mercedes-Benz hasn’t published images of the G63’s all-terrain tires but the German configuration tool apparently allows users to select the off-road tires in question. Curiously, the G-Class was completely absent from the configurator in Germany when we went looking for it.

The AMG Trail package offered in overseas markets includes a number of distinct parts alongside the new wheels and tires. For example, there is underbody protection, all-weather rubber floor mats, and a set of rear flaps. European models also get heat-insulating tinted glass but the U.S. isn’t expected to receive this same feature. Prices in Germany for the package set customers back the equivalent of $3517 and a price point around that mark can be expected for the AMG Trail package when it goes on sale in the United States.

The Mercedes-Benz G-Class is one of the most capable off-roaders currently on sale but the sad truth is that the fast majority of them, particularly the AMG-badged models, will never see anything other than smooth tarmac and perhaps the odd pebble or two. With the Trail package, buyers will at least know that they have the tires necessary to get a little more adventures.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:56 AM

I've seen a few (3 or 4) 4x4^2 running around Houston. 1 even parked in a gravel lot

I expect (guarantee?) 99.95% of G buyers (base & AMG) will never take their >$100k SUV off pavement.

But, I am curious to see how the OEM option looks.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Old 09-09-2020, 08:25 AM

https://www.motor1.com/news/443156/m...evealed-china/

The G350 now serves as the base model, but is not by any means cheap.

Remember when we talked about the CLS getting a 1.5-liter, four-cylinder engine in China? Well, now we have a similar story regarding the mighty G-Class. The reputable off-roader was offered until recently only in the V8-powered G500 and AMG G63 versions, but a new variant has been added to the bottom of the lineup.

It’s called the G350 and kicks off from 1,429,800 Chinese Yuan or the equivalent of about $208,800 at today’s exchange rates. You could buy an AMG G63 ($156,450) in the United States and still have enough money left for another brick-shaped Mercedes SUV, a $38,600 GLB 250 4Matic on top of which you could add some optional equipment.

Not to be confused with the G350d , the China-spec G350 is a gasoline-fueled model rather than the oil burner sold in Europe with a 3.0-liter inline-six mill. The tiny-but-mighty 2.0-liter engine produces 255 horsepower and 273 pound-feet (370 Newton-meters) of torque. That might not seem much for such a large and heavy vehicle, but it’s enough for a 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in a fairly decent 8.1 seconds en route to a top speed of 118 mph (190 km/h).

The four-pot muscle is channeled to the 4Matic system through a nine-speed automatic transmission in a G-Class specification that could remain a China-only affair. It’s a known fact the People’s Republic has high taxes for large-displacement engines, hence why Mercedes is downsizing the G’s engine to make it more attainable.

Curious to know how much the V8 models cost in China? You’d better sit down for this one. The G500 retails for the equivalent of $238,000 before options whereas the flagship AMG G63 kicks off at a whopping $325,500. The V12-powered AMG G65 with its huge twin-turbo 6.0-liter won't return for the latest-generation G, not that many Chinese buyers would’ve been able to afford it anyway…
Old 09-09-2020, 09:50 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Ouch. Hard to compare with foreign markets like that directly though. Some countries also have ridiculous licensing/import fees too. Singapore comes to mind.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I recall Taiwan has a 100% tax on foreign vehicles?
Old 09-09-2020, 11:05 AM

I have a hard time imagining the 2.0T from my former C300 in the G-Wagen
Old 09-09-2020, 12:55 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,941 Likes on 3,919 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
I have a hard time imagining the 2.0T from my former C300 in the G-Wagen
The V6 in my Jeep doesn't make a ton more power than that 2.0T in the G, it does solidly ok in terms of being able to move the mass around.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:07 PM

3700-4300lbs for the JKU
5200-5500lbs for the 2G G-Wagen

The 2.0T is probably sufficient in the G, just odd to think about such a small engine in a large 4wd SUV that had a V12TT option recently.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:50 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,941 Likes on 3,919 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
3700-4300lbs for the JKU
5200-5500lbs for the 2G G-Wagen

The 2.0T is probably sufficient in the G, just odd to think about such a small engine in a large 4wd SUV that had a V12TT option recently.
Holy carp I didn't realize the G was that heavy. Either way, it's more than sufficient though it won't be anywhere close to fast. The G65 is total overkill and is pointless.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:49 PM

Overkill & pointless, maybe, but being able to say that your fairly off-road capable SUV has a TTV12 is

0-62 in 8.1 for the 2.0T isn't bad for having to move that much mass.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:56 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-...mg_edition_55/

AMG - for 55 years now, these three letters have stood for top automotive performance, exclusivity and high driving dynamics worldwide. The G-Class has enjoyed a unique position in the AMG portfolio for over two decades and is thus our king of off-road performance. Its cult status makes it the ideal ambassador to ring in the 55th anniversary of the sports car and performance brand - with the special edition Mercedes-AMG G63 "Edition 55". Particularly exquisite equipment details underline Mercedes-AMG's claim to offer customers the highest possible individuality and exclusivity. The anniversary model can be ordered until October 2022. The anniversary model is limited to 55 units in the US.

"From a two-man start-up in 1967 to a state-of-the-art development site including its own engine manufacturing facility for high-performance vehicles and more than 2000 excellently qualified employees in 2022 - the success story of Mercedes-AMG over the past 55 years is simply impressive. The same applies to the G-Class, which has remained true to itself for over four decades in the course of its unique career. Its long history and still genuine character makes it the perfect first well-wisher for me on our 55th birthday. And just as the G-Class will lose nothing of its original character in its future all-electric variant, Mercedes-AMG is also ensuring the hallmark driving performance made in Affalterbach in its electrified future. The departure into the next 55 years of the company's history will certainly be as exciting and challenging as the task our company founders Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher set themselves back then," says Philipp Schiemer, Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG GmbH.

The Mercedes-AMG G63 "Edition 55" is available in obsidian black metallic or G manufaktur opalite white bright paint. The colours on both sides of the vehicle are coordinated with the AMG emblem and the suggested AMG rhombus. Exciting contrasts are provided by the 22-inch AMG forged wheels in a cross-spoke design with a matt tantalum grey paint finish and a high-sheen rim flange, as well as the AMG Night Package and the AMG Night package II. The fuel filler cap in silver chrome with AMG lettering also bears witness to great attention to detail.

The interior is characterised by the contrast of black and red. Stainless steel door sill trims with red illuminated AMG lettering welcome the driver. To match, the black AMG floor mats made of high-quality velour feature red contrasting stitching and "Edition 55" lettering woven in red. The AMG Performance steering wheel in DINAMICA microfibre also commemorates the anniversary with the "AMG" and "55" badges, making the special model an exclusive collector's item. The AMG seats in specific design are upholstered in two-tone nappa leather in classic red/black. The exclusive ambience of the interior is rounded off by the AMG trim elements in matt carbon.

The scope of delivery includes a customised AMG Indoor Car Cover. With its breathable outer skin made of tear-resistant synthetic fibre fabric and antistatic inner fabric made of flannel, it protects the vehicle in the garage from dust and scratches.

The exclusive special model can now be ordered with the "AMG Edition 55" equipment package at a surcharge of 17,850 Euro.

55 years of the Mercedes-AMG success story

Founded in 1967 by engineers Hans Werner Aufrecht and Erhard Melcher, the company has continued to build on its position as a highly successful performance and sports car brand through numerous successes in motorsport and the development of unique road cars. Today the Affalterbach-based company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mercedes-Benz Group AG and is the Group's sporting spearhead. For each of the now more than 2000 employees the focus is on the brand promise "Driving Performance", which unites the core strengths of AMG: cutting-edge technology and a passion for dynamic, emotively appealing products.

The current Mercedes-AMG portfolio comprises more than 50 vehicles with a power range from 225 kW (306 hp) to 620 kW (843 hp) of system power in the first performance hybrid from Affalterbach, the Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S E PERFORMANCE. The selection ranges from performance vehicles in various body styles to completely independently developed sports cars such as the Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door model and the new Mercedes-AMG SL. The range of powertrains has also been continuously developed in line with market requirements and customer wishes and currently offers efficiency-optimised combustion engines with four, six or eight cylinders. In addition, Mercerdes-AMG is consistently pursuing the path of the Future of Driving Performance: under the label E PERFORMANCE, performance hybrids are offered with an independent drive layout and technology from Formula 1. The portfolio also includes all-electric AMG derivatives based on the Group's own EVA2 platform. In the near future, completely independent battery-electric AMG models will also follow, which will be based on the new electrical architecture (AMG.EA) which has been developed completely in-house.

With 145,979 vehicles delivered in 2021 and growth of 16.7 percent, Mercedes-AMG has started the anniversary year with a record figure.

Over two decades of the high-performance G-Class

The first production model of an AMG variant of the G-Class was launched in 1999 to mark the 20th anniversary of the off-road legend. The G55 AMG marked the beginning of a new, highly successful chapter in G-Class history. The 5.5-litre naturally aspirated eight-cylinder engine with three-valve technology and dual ignition produced 260 kW (354 hp) and had a maximum torque of 525 Nm at 3000 rpm. In 2002, the G63 AMG set new standards. It was the first time a twelve-cylinder engine had been used in the G-Class. The 6.3-litre naturally aspirated V12 engine produced 326 kW (444 hp) of power and a sumptuous 620 Nm of maximum torque. The most powerful G-Class at the time was custom-built at the AMG Manufaktur in Affalterbach at the exclusive request of the customer. This was followed in 2004 by the G55 AMG with a V8 supercharged engine, an even more powerful high-performance model with 350 kW (476 hp). Another highlight in 2012 was the premiere of the G65 AMG. Its 450 kW (612 hp) V12 engine achieved 1000 Nm of torque.

The current Mercedes-AMG G63 consistently continues the success story. Its unique position among performance SUVs is underpinned by the powerful drive, the AMG RIDE CONTROL suspension, the AMG-specific driving programs and the luxurious interior. The AMG 4.0-litre V8 biturbo engine with 430 kW (585 hp) and 850 Nm maximum torque, a 40:60 ratio all-wheel drive with three differential locks, the extremely fast-shifting nine-speed automatic transmission, the double-wishbone independent front suspension and the adaptive adjustable damping form the basis for the driving performance characteristic of AMG on and off surfaced roads.

Quick Reply: Mercedes-Benz: G-Class News