Mercedes-Benz: E-Class News

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 12:49 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
The 214 series E-Class may not be to everyone's liking from the standpoint of exterior design, especially when it comes to the headlights and taillights. Look beyond these details, and you'll realize that Mercedes used every trick in the book to make it the best E-Class of them all.

Likely the final generation to feature internal combustion engines, the 214 is rocking the MRA II platform of the C-Class and S-Class. An evolution of the original modular rear-wheel-drive architecture, the MRA II was designed with mild-hybrid powertrains in mind. As opposed to the compact-sized 206 series, the 214 is available with both four- and six-cylinder mills.

The US lineup consists of the E 350 4MATIC and E 450 4MATIC, with the latter designation referring to all-wheel drive. Merc highlights that 4MATIC has been improved for the sixth-generation E-Class in two noticeable ways. For starters, the system is lighter, therefore resulting in reduced carbon dioxide emissions. And secondly, the front axle drive was designed to take more torque whenever the driving conditions call for it.

Connected to the 9G-Tronic automatic transmission, the four- and six-cylinder turbo lumps in the 350 and 450 are backed up by a transmission-integrated electric motor. The power electronics and transmission cooler have been moved into or adjacent to the torque-converter transmission as well. Merc highlights yet again that weight has been cut wherever possible to keep the car's overall weight low to improve fuel efficiency.

Over in the Old Continent, the W214 can be had in six flavors, beginning with the 220 d four-cylinder turbo diesel. The remainder consists of the 220 d 4MATIC, 200, 300 e, 300 e 4MATIC, and range-topping 400 e 4MATIC. The curb weight for the European model ranges between 1,825 kilograms (4,023 pounds) for the 200 to a whopping 2,265 kilograms (4,993 pounds) for the 300 e 4MATIC and 400 e 4MATIC. It's a bit of a chonker, alright! On the upside, rear-axle steering is certain to make the 214 sedan feel light on its… uhm… tires in low- and high-speed driving scenarios as well.

At the lowest end of the spectrum, the E 200 with its mild-hybrid 2.0L turbo makes do with 204 ps and 320 Nm of torque, plus 23 ps and 205 Nm in boost mode. In old money, that means 201 and 23 horsepower, and 236 and 151 pound-feet, respectively. The E 400 e 4MATIC is the most powerful and torquiest of the bunch at 381 ps and 650 Nm total system output (376 horsepower and 479 pound-feet). The all-electric range champion, however, is the rear-wheel-drive E 300 e with up to 115 kilometers (71 miles) to its name in the WLTP.

The 0.23 drag coefficient wouldn't have been possible without the weird-looking headlights, which are joined by a black panel that connects the radiator grille to them. Longer in wheelbase than its predecessor, the E-Class further wows on the inside with MBUX Superscreen.

Video streaming is possible on the front passenger display, and the interior camera system uses a filtering concept to ensure that the driver cannot see the content on the front passenger screen while driving. The MBUX infotainment system is another strong point of the E-Class due to more powerful hardware designed for improved performance in every respect. For example, the 5G communication module is completely standard.

You can also run Angry Birds or TikTok directly from the MBUX infotainment system, which is both awesome and somewhat worrying at the same time given the distracting nature of these apps. Unfortunately for prospective customers, the German automaker hasn't yet shared any information on the upcoming AMG models.

Series production of the W214 will be split between Sindelfingen in Germany and Beijing in China. More information on the European spec can be found in the attached PDF, whereas the American spec is covered in the press release below.
2024 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Debuts With More Tech, Polarizing Design, I4 and I6 Engines - autoevolution
Old 04-25-2023, 12:49 PM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts

Old 04-25-2023, 12:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I think it looks good. The headlight is weird but not bad considering all the current designs.

The only issue i have is the column shifter. Never liked it and confusing when you need to make a 3 point u turn at the busy street.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:13 PM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
Grille is odd, and looks like they're harkening back to the bugeye E-class of the past a bit with those headlights.
Old 04-25-2023, 01:16 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts
I like the front besides the chrome trim around the grille. I don't like the rear and how everything is below the chrome trim "belt line". It does kind of remind me of G37/Q50 whatever rear styling, which I don't think is good for Mercedes.
Old 04-25-2023, 03:04 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,097 Likes on 4,001 Posts
I like it, there will inevitably be a package to black out the chrome everywhere.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (04-25-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,214 Likes on 3,665 Posts
That E is Fugly, talk about revolutionary vs. evolutionary. The back end retains the correct proportions, the front is terrible.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:36 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
That E is Fugly, talk about revolutionary vs. evolutionary. The back end retains the correct proportions, the front is terrible.
Fugly is the latest 7 series. That front has more lines than the New York Times! I have dubbed it the "Hannibal Lecter" of cars!
Old 05-05-2023, 11:41 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
All the Dino tech cars will look fugly in the near future.
Old 05-05-2023, 12:03 PM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
All the Dino tech cars will look fugly in the near future.
Don't know about that. Every time I see a Tesla Model 3, I'm reminded of Ryan Reynold's face as Deadpool in the Wolverine movie (where his lips are sewn shut).
Old 05-05-2023, 01:03 PM
Team Owner

I have yet met a person who bought a Model 3 or Model Y because of their looks

Comfy must feel so disgusted looking at his ancient RDX.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:32 PM
Ex-OEM King

Teslas look fine, not amazing...but they look better than the FRONT of that E class. The back is a different story.
Old 05-05-2023, 04:46 PM
Team Owner

I think the front of the new E class is fine. I also think the front end of a model 3 and Y are ugly, reminds me of a duck.

But i actually like the rear of the Model Y.

I just dont see how the model 3 or Y's front looks better than this:
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/ima...-engine_31.jpg

Last edited by oonowindoo; 05-05-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:12 AM

Estate model, still a bit IMO
https://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-...-class_estate/

As functional as its predecessor, as intelligent and customisable as never before: The new Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate, model series 214, impresses in many areas. The design has also changed: The roofline is more dynamically designed compared to its predecessor, and at the same time the new E-Class Estate scores again with functionality and load compartment volume. Combined with the raked rear window, the overall appearance is progressive.

Like the Saloon before it, the Estate not only continues the long model history of the classic E-Class, but also bridges the gap to the avant-garde trendsetters from Mercedes-EQ with its new design. Balanced proportions are part of the appearance of a classic estate car. They are defined by the short front overhang, the long bonnet with powerdomes, the longer wheelbase and the balanced rear overhang.

With its distinctive side profile, the Estate clearly sets itself apart from the competition. The two character lines familiar from the Saloon create a powerfully stretched car body and give the Estate a sporty and stylish appearance. Sophisticated, three-dimensional and optimised down to the last detail, the surface finish exudes elegance.

A black panel-like surface connects the radiator grille with the headlamps. This insert in high-gloss black is visually reminiscent of the Mercedes-EQ models. The three-dimensionally designed radiator grille is either progressive or classic, depending on the equipment line. A chrome-framed radiator grille backlit by optical fibres is optionally available for all lines (Avantgarde, Exclusive and AMG Line). The new E-Class Estate features LED High Performance headlamps as standard. As an optional extra, DIGITAL LIGHT is available without and with a projection function. All headlamp variants offer a distinctive day and night design. As a typical feature of the brand, the daytime running lights take the shape of an eyebrow.

Precisely designed chrome elements as well as the progressively styled, two-part rear lamps characterise the rear-end design. Thanks to its large opening, the load compartment can be used in a variety of ways. The design team has reinterpreted the rear lamps in terms of their contours and inner workings. With great depth of detail and partly animated functions, the interior design contributes to the vehicle's high value appeal. The unique star motif makes the day and night design of the rear lamps unmistakable. The two light sections in the side wall and boot lid are visually connected. This further emphasises the width of the rear. The reflectors have been relocated to the bumper. Because this allowed the load compartment opening to be particularly large, this increases the utility value on the one hand and makes the rear view look even wider on the other.

Even more spacious in the rear and the familiar high utility value

Compared to its predecessor, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate has increased in width by 28 millimetres. This gives the rear passengers even more space: The elbow room in the rear is 1519 millimetres - 25 millimetres more than before. The wheelbase has increased by 22 millimetres to 2961 millimetres. As a result, rear-seat passengers enjoy more knee room (84 millimetres; plus 9 millimetres) and leg room (934 millimetres; plus 15 millimetres). The load compartment can be expanded from 615 litres to up to 1830 litres. In the plug-in hybrid model, the luggage capacity is 460-1675 litres, and the load compartment is level there, too.

The seat backrests can be split and folded down in a 40:20:40 ratio. Operation is by two push buttons on the left and right side of the rear seat backrest. The Estate model features the EASY-PACK tailgate as standard. The tailgate opens and closes conveniently at the touch of a button: using the button on the ignition key, the switch in the driver's door or the release handle on the tailgate. The retractable luggage cover and dividing net (both standard) have a two-piece design. Each has its own roller cassette.

A plug-in hybrid is already available at launch

Thanks to systematic electrification and intelligent downsizing, the new E-Class sets new standards in efficiency. The combustion engines are four and six-cylinder units from the current modular Mercedes-Benz engine family FAME (Family of Modular Engines). Accordingly, the engine range plays a major role in the flexibility of the international production network, with needs-based electrification.

In addition to turbocharging, both the diesel and petrol engines feature intelligent support from an Integrated Starter-Generator (ISG). They are therefore mild hybrids. Thanks to a new battery, the power of the electric motor has been increased from 15 to 17 kW and the boost torque to 205 Nm. Further mild hybrid models will follow.

With the E300e a plug-in hybrid is also available at market launch already. With an electric output of 95 kW (129 hp) and an all-electric range of up to over 100 kilometres (WLTP), this model will on many days be on the road purely electrically, without the use of the petrol engine. More plug-in hybrids with diesel combustion engines will follow.

Air-sprung rear axle as standard, AIRMATIC available as an option

The agile handling of the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class Estate is due in large part to precise guidance of the front wheels by four control arms each. At the rear axle, an optimised multi-link independent rear suspension with five links ensures excellent wheel control and excellent straight-line stability. At both axles, the springs and dampers are combined in a single strut and are not involved in wheel guidance tasks, therefore the suspension responds with corresponding sensitivity. The front subframe and rear axle carrier decouple the suspension and body from vibrations and noise. As standard, the mild hybrid models are equipped with AGILITY CONTROL steel spring suspension with selective damping system and air-sprung rear axle.

As an option, the new E-Class is available with all-round AIRMATIC air suspension with ADS+ continuously adjustable damping. The AIRMATIC suspension with air springs and adaptive ADS+ dampers responds very sensitively. The all-round level control is another feature of AIRMATIC. It keeps the ground clearance constant irrespective of the vehicle load, but also makes changes when needed.

Drive system

Thanks to systematic electrification and intelligent downsizing, the new E-Class sets new standards in efficiency. A fourth-generation plug-in hybrid will already be available at market launch. Others will follow (for the plug-in hybrid model, see separate chapter).

The combustion engines are four and six-cylinder units from the current modular Mercedes-Benz engine family FAME (Family of Modular Engines). Accordingly, the engine range plays a major role in the flexibility of the international production network, with needs-based electrification.

In addition to turbocharging, both the diesel and petrol engines feature intelligent support from an integrated starter-generator (ISG). They are therefore mild hybrids. Thanks to a new battery, the power of the electric motor has been increased from 15 to 17 kW and the boost torque to 205 Nm.

The ISG uses a 48 volt on-board electrical system that ensures functions such as gliding, boosting or energy recovery, and makes significant fuel savings possible. The engines also start very rapidly and comfortably as a result, so that the start/stop function is almost as imperceptible to the driver as the transition from gliding with the engine switched off to strong acceleration under engine power. When idling, the intelligent interaction between the ISG and the combustion engine ensures outstandingly smooth running.

Petrol models: with many innovations compared to the preceding power units

The four-cylinder petrol engine (M 254) is initially available with 150 kW as the E200 - further output levels will follow. In the M 254, Mercedes-Benz has combined all the innovations of the FAME modular engine family in a single unit. They include NANOSLIDE® cylinder coating, CONICSHAPE® cylinder honing (trumpet honing) and the exhaust aftertreatment system positioned directly at the engine.

A top model with an electrified in-line six-cylinder will round off the engine range at the top end.

Diesel: current development level

The E220d is powered by the OM 654 M. The electrification also includes the use of an electric refrigerant compressor for the air conditioning system.

The OM654M in the E220d is charged by a single-stage turbocharger with variable turbine geometry and friction-optimised roller bearings. The turbocharger is tuned so that the engine responds quickly and delivers its power smoothly. The four-cylinder diesel is also up to date in terms of exhaust gas aftertreatment. Its components include:
  • a close-coupled NOx storage catalytic converter for reducing nitrogen oxides
  • a DPF (diesel particulate filter with special coating for reducing also the amount of nitrogen oxides)
  • an SCR catalytic converter (selective catalytic reduction with metered injected quantity of AdBlue®) and
  • an additional SCR catalytic converter in the vehicle's underbody, with a separately metered injected quantity of AdBlue®
Transmission: automatic as standard

The 9G-TRONIC transmission has been further developed and is used in all E-Class models. The electric motor, power electronics and transmission cooler have now moved into or to the transmission. Previously required lines are eliminated, which offers advantages with regard to installation space and weight. In addition, the efficiency of the transmission has been increased. Amongst other things, the optimised interplay with the electric auxiliary oil pump reduces the delivery rate of the mechanical pump by 30 percent compared with the predecessor - good for efficiency. Furthermore, it uses a new generation of the fully integrated transmission control with multi-core processor and new design and connectivity technology. In addition to the increased computing power, the number of electric interfaces has been drastically reduced, and the weight of the transmission controls have been cut by 30 percent compared with the predecessor.

Old 06-20-2023, 10:19 AM
Ex-OEM King

I think my gripe with the styling is the headlights. That weird dip in the center is what looks dumb to me. Make that a straight line to match everything else and call it good.

Also, I'm guessing this thing isn't coming to the US.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:24 AM

I'd be surprised to see it sold here. But I did see a new E4xx last week when we were in CA. Black or very dark blue with brown Designo leather
Old 06-20-2023, 12:14 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,475 Likes on 932 Posts
Looks pretty good. I like how the center console is situated inside the dash.

Old 06-20-2023, 01:05 PM

Not sure if it's the body color, but the front looks less bad on the wagon than the sedan on the prior page.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:25 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-...s_all-terrain/

With 4MATIC all-wheel drive as standard, increased ground clearance through AIRMATIC air suspension (also standard) and an off-road driving programme, the new Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain makes easy work of light terrain, such as dirt roads, on its bigger wheels. Further practical details enhancing the off-road driving experience are the off-road screen and the "transparent bonnet" - part of the 360° camera. The vehicle has an unmistakeable All-Terrain look: Off-road design elements include the unique front grille, special bumpers, high-gloss chrome front and rear underride guard, and the dark grey wheel-arch liners. The new E-Class All-Terrain celebrated its world premiere at the 2023 IAA Mobility in Munich, completing the E-Class family. It will start arriving in dealerships from the first quarter of 2024.

Compared to the conventional E-Class Estate, the All-Terrain model is larger only in terms of height. It is almost the same length and measures a total of 4,950 millimetres. The width is 1,904 millimetres; the height 1,497 millimetres. The standard tyre size is 235/55 R 18 on wheels measuring 8 J x 18. Optional wheels of up to 20 inches are available.

The new Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain is 28 millimetres wider than the previous model. This makes the journey even more comfortable for back seat passengers, who now have 1,519 millimetres of elbow room. The wheelbase has increased by 22 millimetres to 2,961 millimetres, which creates more kneeroom and legroom in the back.

The sporty rear end conceals a load capacity of 615 to 1,830 litres (plug-in hybrid model: 460-1,675 litres). The seat backs can be folded down with a 40:20:40 split. They are operated with two push buttons on the left and right side of the rear seat backrest. The EASY-PACK tailgate is featured as standard. It opens and closes conveniently at the push of a button using the ignition key, the switch in the driver's door, or the unlocking handle on the tailgate itself. The retractable luggage cover and dividing net (both standard) have a two-piece design, each with its own roller cassette.

Offroad design elements

The most eye-catching feature of the striking front is the SUV-style, twin-louvre grille in Iridium Silver with a star integrated in the centre and a Mercedes-Benz pattern. The distinctive front bumper, as well as the high-gloss chrome underride-guard-look panelling, also contribute to the robust appearance.

In the side view, the distinctive dark grey wheel-arch covers emphasise the All-Terrain character. The same applies to the sills, which have a high-gloss chrome strip.

At the rear, the Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain also boasts a model-specific bumper rounded off with a simulated underride guard in high-gloss chrome. A further detail is a robust load sill guard in a stainless-steel look.

Rounding off the special features in the interior are AMG stainless steel sports pedals and floor mats with All-Terrain logo.

Air suspension as standard throughout

The new E-Class All-Terrain is equipped as standard with AIRMATIC air suspension all round. This system combines air suspension bellows with adaptive ADS+ dampers for maximum responsiveness. Characteristics of the dampers are automatically varied at each individual wheel in both the compression and rebound stages. Sophisticated sensor technology and algorithms adapt the shock absorbers to the road surface so that the impact from hitting a bump with one tyre, for example, is not transferred to the entire axle and interior.

With all-round level control, AIRMATIC maintains constant ground clearance irrespective of the vehicle load while adapting to conditions as needed. To reduce air resistance and improve fuel efficiency, when operating in the COMFORT driving programme the vehicle is automatically lowered by 15 millimetres when the speed reaches 120 km/h.

Three All-Terrain models for the market launch

Right from the market launch, all-terrain enthusiasts have three drive concepts to choose from: a diesel, petrol and plug-in hybrid version. The combustion models are powered by four- and six-cylinder engines from the Mercedes-Benz family of modular engines (FAME). In this way, the motorisation programme contributes substantially to the flexibility of the international production network, while helping to meet the growing demand for electrification.

With intelligent boost technology and an integrated starter-generator (ISG) complementing the turbocharger, both the diesel and petrol variants are mild hybrids. A new battery has raised the power of the electric motor from 15 to 17 kW and the boost torque to 205 Nm.

Electric output of 95 kW (129 hp) and an all-electric range of up to 100 kilometres (WLTP) will enable drivers of the plug-in hybrid model to complete journeys without using the combustion engine - even in off-road mode on unsurfaced roads. The high power density of the hybrid drive unit comes courtesy of a permanently excited internal-rotor synchronous motor. The 440 Nm peak torque of the electric motor is ready to go right from the start, resulting in high agility when moving off, along with dynamic driving performance. The full electric power is available up to 140 km/h, after which the speed is gently limited. A high-tech feature is the intelligent, electromechanical brake booster. This ensures that the braking system combines electrical recovery with the hydraulic brake for maximum efficiency.
​​​​​​​
Old 09-05-2023, 10:01 AM
Ex-OEM King

Tail lights are kind of weird looking but like the rest of it. Wish they'd just make a non-all terrain version of this thing and sell that instead.

Hopefully the PHEV one comes to the US.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:56 AM

https://www.netcarshow.com/mercedes-...53_amg_hybrid/

With the new Mercedes-AMG E53 HYBRID 4MATIC+ as a saloon and estate, the performance and sports car brand from Affalterbach is presenting two further plug-in hybrid models. They combine outstanding performance and driving dynamics with a long electric range.

"The E-Class has been one of our most popular models for decades and we want to build on this with the new E53 HYBRID. The vehicle offers typical AMG driving pleasure with excellent responsiveness, great driving dynamics and a sporty design. As a plug-in hybrid, the E53 HYBRID combines mighty performance with efficiency. Thanks to the high electric range, many everyday journeys can be completed purely electrically. At the same time, the vehicle comes with extensive standard equipment, including fully variable all-wheel drive and active rear-axle steering. In this way, we offer our customers a vehicle that is perfect for their high demands." Michael Schiebe, CEO of Mercedes-AMG GmbH and Head of Business Units Mercedes-Benz G-Class & Mercedes-Maybach

The combination of the 3.0-litre six-cylinder in-line engine and the permanently excited E-synchronous machine generates a maximum system output of 430 kW (585 HP) [at RACE START: 450 kW/612 HP] and a maximum system torque of 750 Nm. The performance is correspondingly dynamic: acceleration from 0-100 km/h takes place in 3.8 seconds (saloon with RACE START, part of the optional AMG DYNAMIC PLUS package). The top speed is electronically limited to 280 km/h (saloon with optional AMG Driver's Package). Up to 140 km/h are possible purely electrically.

The 120-kW electric motor is integrated into the AMG SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G transmission to save space. The high-power density of the hybrid power unit is achieved by the permanently excited internal rotor synchronous technology. The electric motor's maximum torque of 480 Nm is available from the first revolution and ensures high agility even when starting off. The traction battery with 400 volts has a gross capacity of 28.6 kWh and is installed in the rear under the trunk floor. The energy content that can be used every day is smaller at 21.22 kWh, as part of the energy is always reserved for boosting and thus high-performance driving. Nevertheless, the high-voltage battery enables an electric range of up to over 100 kilometres.

A charger with 11 kW charging power is on board for charging with alternating current. In addition, a 60 kW DC fast charger for direct current is available upon request. This allows the battery to be charged from 10% to 80% in around 20 minutes. The recuperation power is up to 120 kW. In DAuto mode, the system automatically selects the level of recuperation power depending on the traffic situation. If you want to influence the recuperation performance yourself, you can select it in three levels using rockers behind the steering wheel. In programme D-, the driver experiences the "one pedal feeling": If he or she takes his or her foot off the accelerator, the vehicle decelerates purely electrically to such an extent that the hydraulic foot brake is often not even needed.

The basis for the sporty and efficient drive is the proven AMG 3.0-litre in-line six-cylinder turbo engine. In the E53 HYBRID 4MATIC+ it delivers 330 kW (449 hp). Compared to the previous version in the E53 of the predecessor W213 series, this means an increase of 10 kW (14 hp). Numerous software and hardware measures contribute to increasing performance. This includes a new twin-scroll exhaust gas turbocharger with higher boost pressure (1.5 bar instead of the previous 1.1 bar). The update also includes newly programmed software, an additional front cooler, and a wheel arch cooler. The result: The 3.0-litre engine reacts spontaneously to accelerator pedal commands and thus offers a highly dynamic response.

Reinforced body shell with numerous stiffening measures

To account for the high dynamic potential of the drive train, the body shell has been revised with numerous stiffening measures. A strut brace between the front suspension strut mounts stiffens the front structure and enables increased lateral dynamics. The thrust field under the engine increases steering precision by reducing the torsion of the front end. It is connected to the longitudinal beams by additional struts. On the rear axle, additional struts from the side members to the rear ensure greater stability and driving precision.

AMG and hybrid-specific design elements

The new Mercedes-AMG E53 HYBRID 4MATIC+ can be recognised by many special design elements. The AMG-specific radiator trim with vertical slats is illuminated as standard. Wider front fenders (plus eleven millimetres on each side compared to the Mercedes-Benz E-Class) make room for the larger track width on the front axle. The powerfully shaped outer air inlets, each with two vertical fins, and the central A-wing characterise the independent AMG front apron. The large central lower inlet directs the air to the additional AMG front cooler. There is also an external opening for the wheel arch cooler.

The side view is characterised by flowing modelled surfaces without beads or edges, right down to the recessed door handles. AMG-specific side skirt panels visually connect the two wheel arches. The light alloy wheels, which are almost flush with the body, emphasise power and dynamism. The flat, horizontally connected LED taillights with clear and striking graphics in the stylised Mercedes star signature are precisely embedded in the powerful rear. The arrangement gives the vehicle structure and underlines the overall width. The final touch is the AMG spoiler lip on the trunk lid (saloon) and the AMG rear apron with diffuser and two round double tailpipe trims on the left and right.

Hybrid-specific badges on the front fenders and rear indicate the electrified drive. The E53 HYBRID 4MATIC+ comes with 19-inch light-alloy wheels as standard. Wheels with 20 inches and forged wheels with a diameter of 21 inches are also available as an option.

Exclusive trim, optional Superscreen with passenger monitor

The cockpit design impresses with a harmonious overall impression. As standard, there is an E53 HYBRID-specific, illuminated trim in grey open-pore ash wood with an AMG logo. The MBUX Superscreen with passenger monitor is available as an option. The MBUX multimedia system offers AMG-specific displays and features as well as the additional, exclusive menu content AMG Performance and AMG TRACK PACE (optional). Added to this are the hybrid-specific displays and functions. This includes the charging menu and displays in the instrument cluster and on the multimedia screen. These provide information about, among other things, the charge status and temperature of the high-voltage battery as well as the electric range.

Electrically adjustable AMG sports seats are on board as standard. The upholstery is covered in ARTICO man-made leather/MICROCUT microfibre with red contrasting topstitching and features a unique AMG seat graphic. The electrically adjustable AMG performance seats can be ordered as an option. The basic equipment includes the AMG performance steering wheel in Nappa leather with AMG steering wheel buttons.

Fully variable all-wheel drive AMG Performance 4MATIC+

The standard all-wheel drive provides optimal traction. It ensures high driving stability and driving safety on dry roads as well as on wet or snowy roads. An electromechanically controlled clutch distributes the driving force variably to the front and rear axles in each driving programme. This ensures maximum traction, driving dynamics and safety at all times and in all driving conditions.

Newly developed and tuned AMG RIDE CONTROL suspension with adaptive damping adjustment

The AMG development team developed and tuned the AMG RIDE CONTROL steel spring suspension with adaptive adjustable damping specifically for the requirements of the E53 HYBRID 4MATIC+ with new hardware and software. It offers a balanced combination of adequate acoustic insulation for purely electric driving in combination with a very sporty character typical of AMG. The independent front axle has a larger track width than the Mercedes-Benz model. On the rear axle, the stiffer elastokinemetics of the rubber mounts, which connect the independent control arms with the axle support, ensure greater tracking and camber stability.

The steel suspension with a sporty spring-damper setup and adaptive two-valve adjustable damping combines high driving dynamics with very good ride comfort. The damping on each wheel adapts to the current driving situation and road conditions. This happens quickly and precisely via separate valves for the tension and compression directions in the dampers. The damper characteristic curve can be pre-selected in three levels: "Comfort", "Sport" and "Sport+", thus enabling a clearly noticeable differentiation between high long-distance comfort and sporty driving dynamics.

The software has also been reprogrammed. The tuning of the chassis, ESP®, the fully variable AMG Performance 4MATIC+ all-wheel drive and the steering, which is adapted to the hybrid drive, enables a balanced and safe, but also dynamic and confident driving experience.

The AMG high-performance sports brake system is based on internally ventilated brake discs measuring 370x36 millimetres on the front axle and four-piston fixed calipers. On the rear axle there are 360x26 millimetres with single-piston floating calipers.

A high-tech feature is the electromechanical brake booster. It ensures that the braking system efficiently combines electrical recuperation with the hydraulic brake. Depending on the driving situation and braking requirements, the vacuum-independent braking system automatically controls the flexible change between hydraulic braking and electrical recuperation. This means maximum recuperation performance can be achieved more frequently and over a longer period of time. The system variably reduces the braking power of the hydraulic brake, even with constant pedal pressure, to maintain a high level of recuperation performance as speed decreases. The driver does not notice this automatic change.

Standard active rear-axle steering combines stability and agility

Depending on the speed, the rear wheels steer either in the opposite direction of the front wheels (up to 100 km/h) or in the same direction (over 100 km/h). The system therefore enables both agile and stable driving behaviour. The toe angle change is 0.7 degrees (parallel steering) to 2.5 degrees (opposite steering).

AMG driving programmes with a wide spread

From efficient to dynamic: The AMG DYNAMIC SELECT driving programmes are tailored precisely to the drive technology of the plug-in hybrid. They adjust important parameters such as the response of the drive and transmission, the steering characteristic, the chassis damping or the sound. In addition to the well-known driving programmes "Comfort", "Sport", "Sport+", "Smoothness" and "Individual", two hybrid-specific driving programmes are added in the new Mercedes-AMG E53 HYBRID 4MATIC+. "Electric" and "Battery Hold".

By default, the electrified 53 model starts silently in the "Electric" driving programme when the electric motor is switched on. The "Ready" icon in the instrument cluster signals that the vehicle is ready to drive. In "Electric", purely electric driving takes place with the 120 kW (163 hp) electric motor with a range of up to over 100 kilometres. If the charge level of the battery is too low or the driver requests more power in the meantime and overcomes the pressure point of the haptic accelerator pedal, the intelligent operating strategy switches automatically: the combustion engine starts and takes over the drive power as required.

In the "Battery Hold" driving programme, the combustion engine and electric motor run in a co-ordinated manner depending on the situation. The operating strategy keeps the battery charge level almost constant. The use of the electric motor is limited and optimised for low energy consumption. Recuperation balances the energy balance again. By simply changing the driving programme, drivers can decide when they want to fully use the battery charge again, for example for inner-city traffic.

AMG DYNAMIC PLUS package

For an even more emotional driving experience, the optional AMG DYNAMIC PLUS package bundles technical and visual equipment details.
  • AMG performance steering wheel in Nappa leather/MICROCUT microfibre with steering wheel buttons for quick operation of the driving programmes and other driving dynamics settings.
  • Larger high-performance composite brake system at the front with 390x36 mm brake discs and six-piston fixed calipers.
  • The brake calipers are painted red and visually underline the sporty character.
  • The electronically controlled rear axle locking differential enables even better traction out of corners, greater driving stability and load distribution without loss of power in all driving conditions.
  • Dynamic engine mounts enable a sporty or comfortable connection of the engine to the body. They consist of two interlocking cylinders connected to a magnetorheological fluid. They change their viscosity through a magnetic field. If the vibrations of the engine are to be transmitted to the body as little as possible in a comfort-oriented manner, the in-line six-cylinder is connected particularly softly. The magnet in the bearings is then switched off. If the engine is to be connected to the body as rigidly as possible for higher performance, the magnetic field is continuously increased, and the connection becomes stiffer. In the E53 HYBRID 4MATIC+, the active bearings particularly optimise the spread between sportiness and comfort.
  • With the RACE START function, the optimal sprint from a standstill is achieved. In RACE START, the drive technology pulls out all the stops to achieve the best possible acceleration. To do this, the software retrieves the full power of the electric motor (120 kW) and the combustion engine (330 kW) as well as the maximum torque in each case.
Special model "Edition 1" with extensive equipment

The new E53 HYBRID 4MATIC+ can be ordered as an exclusive "Edition 1" in the exterior colours MANUFAKTUR alpine grey uni or MANUFAKTUR opalite white magno for one year from market launch. A foil with decorative stripes in black visually stretches the vehicle's sides. The 21-inch AMG forged wheels in cross-spoke design are painted matt black and accentuated with high-sheen rim flanges. The wheel hub caps have an "Edition" label in a laurel wreath. The black painted brake calipers with white AMG logos also match the dark look.

The AMG Exterior Night Package and the AMG Exterior Night Package II are also on board. Elements such as the front splitter and the beltline and window line trim strips are finished in high-gloss black. Together with the high-gloss black double tailpipe trim, strong contrasts result. In addition, there is the heat-insulating, dark-tinted glass for the rear window and the rear side windows. The AMG Night Package II includes elements in black chrome, namely the struts and surrounds of the radiator trim as well as the trim parts and badges on the front fenders. In addition, the door handles, the trim on the tailgate, the type plates, and the Mercedes star on the rear.

The AMG Carbon Exterior Package reinforces the dynamic visual impression. The exterior mirror housings have a carbon look. On the saloon, the spoiler lip on the trunk lid is made of carbon. The AMG tank cap in silver chrome with "AMG" lettering also emphasises the special status of the edition.

The interior is characterised by the contrast of black and yellow. The AMG Performance seats are very elegant with upholstery in black Nappa leather with yellow decorative stitching and "Edition 1" lettering in the front headrests. They follow the sporty look, as do the seat belts in yellow and the exclusive AMG carbon trim elements with yellow thread. The AMG Performance steering wheel in Nappa leather / MICROCUT microfibre with yellow decorative stitching and the AMG door sills with yellow illuminated "AMG" lettering go perfectly with this. The final touch is the exclusive "Edition 1" engraving in the centre console as well as specific AMG floor mats with yellow decorative stitching and "Edition 1" labelling. The MBUX Superscreen with passenger screen is also on board as standard.

To protect their valuable vehicle, every customer receives a tailor-made AMG Indoor Car Cover with the "Edition1" logo. With its breathable outer skin made of tear-resistant synthetic fibre fabric and the anti-static inner fabric made of flannel, it protects the vehicle from dust and scratches in the garage.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:10 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,391 Likes on 4,937 Posts
I'd have to see it in black to see if I could get over that horrible front end. But this is the drivetrain they should have put in the C63.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:12 AM

Yep, still don't love the front end.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:55 AM
Ex-OEM King

I like it. Would definitely rock that wagon but it's almost certainly not coming to our shores.