Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:38 AM
Race Director

Received 3,262 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Mazda: We Could Do a Hot Hatch Mazda 3, We Just Choose Not To

Old 08-28-2019, 06:28 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
The fourth-generation Mazda 3 is getting some small changes for its second year on the market. For 2020, Mazda is adding its i-Activsense driver-assist features to all sedan models; these features were previously standard on the sedan's higher trim levels and all hatchback models. The base 2020 Mazda 3 sedan now includes blind-spot monitoring, lane-departure warning and lane-keep assist, adaptive cruise control, and automatic emergency braking; this brings it in line with rivals such as the Honda Civicand Toyota Corolla, which also include active-safety features as standard across the board.

Prices rise accordingly, with the base 3 sedan going up $500 to a starting price of $22,420. The one-step-up 3 sedan in its Select trim level goes up $100 and now starts at $23,620, while the base hatchback goes up $1000 to $24,620. All other trim levels hold the line on pricing compared with 2019, and all-wheel drive remains a $1400 option on all but the base sedan trim. The sole engine remains a 2.5-liter inline-four mated with either front- or all-wheel drive and either a six-speed automatic or a six-speed manual transmission (offered only on the 3 hatchback in Premium trim). There's still no word on when the anticipated Skyactiv-X compression-ignition-capable enginewill arrive in the U.S.

Mazda also says that it has changed the wheel finish on the Premium trim level, although it hasn't yet released photos of what the updated wheels look like. 2020 Mazda 3 sedan models go on sale this month, while 2020 hatchback models will be available starting in September.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...hback-pricing/
Old 10-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Received 5,299 Likes on 3,633 Posts
https://jalopnik.com/the-mazda-3-tcr...-fl-1838681176

Mazda Motorsports has finally found some success with its DPI program in the IMSA series, and is following that up with the addition of a new factory-supported racer for the 2020 season. Like all good compact car manufacturers with a motorsport program, Mazda is finally jumping into the deep end of the TCR pool to fight against the likes of Audi, Volkswagen, Hyundai, Alfa Romeo, and Honda.

The new Mazda 3 TCR is homologated to run in any of 36 TCR classes around the world, including the FIA’s WTCR. For now, the car will make its on-track debut in the 2020 IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge TCR class early next year with the four-hour race to kick off the Rolex 24 at Daytona weekend.

In my opinion, this car has made the most graceful transition from street car to TCR spec racer. Mazda’s signature Kodo design language lends itself well to giant badass fender flares, Volk Racing Wheels, a subtle lowering, and a significant aero package. This is a proper touring car design that I genuinely hope translates into a sporty hot hatch version of the 3 for the street

How great would it be if Mazda brought something to showrooms to take on the Veloster N and Golf GTI?

Masahiro Moro, Chairman and CEO, Mazda North American Operations:

“TCR represents a great opportunity for us to showcase the new Mazda3 and provide our customers another avenue to race Mazda vehicles. Some of our most important successes in IMSA and SRO TC Americas have been thanks to dedicated customers who chose to race with Mazda, and we hope the next generation of Mazda racers see the same potential in the Mazda3 TCR.

John Doonan, Director, Mazda Motorsports:

“The Mazda3 features the outstanding design and engineering that Mazda is known for, and because of that, it is a fantastic foundation for our new Mazda3 TCR. We have looked forward to returning to the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge for several seasons, and everyone at Mazda is very excited that we will do just that in 2020. We are eagerly anticipating success for the Mazda3 TCR in IMSA, SRO Americas and in TCR championships around the world.”
In keeping with TCR rules, the Mazda 3 TCR features a turbocharged 4-cylinder race-spec engine producing about 350 horsepower. Long Road Racing, which also partners with Mazda to produce the Global MX-5 Cup cars, built a bespoke paddle-shift six-speed transmission to put the power down to the front wheels.

Mazda Motorsports has withheld pricing information for now, but TCR classed cars are cost-capped to 130,000€, so expect the price to fall somewhere in there. This TCR-classed monster will clearly be quite a bit quicker around the track than the Global MX-5 Cup cars, and quite a bit less quick than Mazda’s factory-effort RT24P prototype. If those are the three rungs of your motorsport program ladder, however, they’re pretty strong rungs to have.

We’ll see what how it performs on-track in January. For now, enjoy these totally rad photos of the racer.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Old 10-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
I like everything except for that butt hole in the back.... what were they thinking putting 1 hole right in the middle of the butt.
The following users liked this post:
RPhilMan1 (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 01:46 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
Looks great besides the single exhaust, but I guess it still drives well with all that FWD power.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by RPhilMan1
Looks great besides the single exhaust, but I guess it still drives well with all that FWD power.
Not a single exhaust, a variable geometry nozzle for the afterburner, which is strategically located in the middle of the rear bumper.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:48 PM

Probably cheaper/lighter/simpler than running an OE-look 1-into-2 exit. Not sure if there's any tangible L/R weight benefit to it being in the center, as opposed to offset to the side.
Or, since the body shell likely already has the 'tunnel' down the center, likely better to do a straight shot out the rear, than add bends for a different exit.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:56 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
s3xy

A production version to compete against GTI, Si/CTR, and Veloster N would be
Old 10-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Team Owner

I thought Mazda already confirmed that they are not putting turbo aka MS3 in the 3.... and the only turbo they have on hand is the 2.5L.... which is an overkill for this segment anyway.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:52 PM

Not for consumer sales, at least.
IIRC, there were confirmations (Flyin Miata or OVTune, don't recall) that the 2.5T from the 6/CX5 does indeed fit in the 3.

TCR Regs specify a 2.0T engine, gas or diesel.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Not for consumer sales, at least.
IIRC, there were confirmations (Flyin Miata or OVTune, don't recall) that the 2.5T from the 6/CX5 does indeed fit in the 3.

TCR Regs specify a 2.0T engine, gas or diesel.
Yeah, one look at the 3rd Gen Mazda3 engine compartment confirms Mazda definitely designed the engine bay to accommodate the 2.5T; lots of room for turbo and associated plumbing.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:45 AM
Race Director

Inside the new Mazda 3 is a button. This button activates and deactivates the i-Activsense suite of safety technologies, and I’m sat in the driver’s seat wondering where it all went wrong.

I haven’t crashed, but the realisation is crashing: this is a far, far better car with the safety systems turned off. I’ve just driven a week’s worth of mileage, often moving from urban streets to dual carriageways, motorways and back again before a country road stint later in the week. Overall I covered about 600 miles over the seven days.

The first couple of planetary rotations were marred by the car’s constant fussing, whether it was red-backed steering warnings on the dashboard when I strayed within about six miles of the edge of my lane, the assortment of ‘no-you-don’t’ beeps and unwanted steering nudges if the car mistakes overbanding or old white lines for the real thing, or even the forced power cuts when you pull into a motorway gap close behind the car that just passed you, accelerating you helplessly towards the onrushing car behind instead of allowing you to build speed and control the gaps fore and aft.

Man, the relief after I turned it all off was tangible. I relaxed and felt like I could finally enjoy the car. The clean, stylish interior is first on the list. A simple, confidently shaped dashboard and matching – but also clever – digital instrument cluster give a premium impression from the off. There are enough buttons but not too many, while the iDrive/MMI-style rotary dial interface is a dream. Crucially, too, there aren’t a million sub-menus here like there are in German cars. It’s really easy to get a hang of. The Mazda’s might just be the most user-friendly arrangement of controls I’ve come across.
Fire up the spark-controlled compression ignition SkyActiv-X 2.0-litre petrol engine – the real reason we’re testing this car – and there’s a gruff, dieselish response as it settles into tickover. Pull away and it’s more of the same; if I wasn’t so sure I was driving a new kind of petrol engine I’d have to check it wasn’t a diesel by noting the rev-counter redline and then sniffing inside the fuel filler.

I was paying attention at this point and noticed how early the upshift indicator was appearing. Sometimes you don’t even get to 1500rpm before the light winks on and tells you to grab another cog or two – the 3 is all about block-shifting where it can, and will happily send the engine back to 1100rpm or less to do it. Amazingly, the engine will actually pull from such low number – albeit with a grumble.
Mazda made claims of diesel-like torque for the SkyActiv-X unit (we have also reviewed a Mazda 3 with a more conventional petrol engine). It doesn’t come across that way because of the gearing involved – second passes 60mph – but I’d have to say I think it’s an accurate boast. If second only did 45mph like on most diesels, the engine would feel as torquey as a modest four-cylinder diesel. As it is, it still pulls its gears pretty impressively for a non-turbo petrol engine. It’s just a shame that there are trim rattles throughout the dashboard, doors and B-pillars that are directly triggered by the engine speeds the car wants you to stay at.

Up at the top of the rev range is a proper N/A petrol top-end. It starts to build before 5000rpm but really kicks in after that point, finding a deep well of power reminiscent of VTEC up to the 6300rpm-ish redline. Sadly the gearing – particularly from second to third – makes it impossible to stay in the power and there’s a lull while the revs rebuild, but above 5000rpm the Mazda is a quick, engaging car. It doesn’t make a thrilling noise but it gets a move on.

You won’t be disappointed with the supple, stable handling, either, if you put some better tyres on. Darting, accurate steering outmatches the surprisingly lacklustre Toyo Proxes R51A hoops that push into understeer far too quickly in wet and damp conditions. A set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4s would transform it; likewise the Continental PremiumContact 6 or the best from Goodyear and Bridgestone.

Whichever rubber is fitted the car has an outstanding suspension tune, brilliantly soaking up B-road bumps and undulations while keeping the body stable, inspiring confidence in what it’s capable of. Get on the throttle after the apex and it will tense and pull itself around neatly without crashing over further bumps. And there’s no sport button! This is just a delightfully well-sorted driver’s car that works for commuting just as well as it deals with choppy back-roads. In an age where car makers want to force you to pay more for adjustable and adaptive suspension that never seems quite right in any mode, Mazda is leading the way in how it should be done.
As an engineering example the SkyActiv-X engine is a marvel. On one traffic-free journey during the week, going no higher than 63mph or so, I managed an indicated 64mpg over 35 miles. That’s astonishing. Careful gap-management in traffic meant I was able to secure low-50s even on the busiest of commutes. The efficiency potential is there, no doubt about it.

I love the totality of the stop-start integration, too. Come to a stop, shift to neutral ahead of time and lift off the clutch; the engine cuts thanks to a mild hybrid system. Then the same tech restarts the engine with such smoothness and speed that it can afford to leave the restart until the very latest point: either when you begin to lift the clutch to the bite point or, if your foot is still on the brake when you engage first, only when you lift off the brake. It’s marvellous.
One other thing: the 3 may be an all-new car but it has a CD player. This is good news, not just for me because I’m old, grumpy and still don’t get on with the quality of streamed music (only two of these are fact), but also for any streamers who suddenly discover how much fuller and richer tunes sound from CDs. You’re welcome, etc.

As I sit back and sum up my days in the 3, I give it full credit for achieving such a mighty feat. To pair such impressive economy with a chassis this good and a 6000rpm+ top end worth chasing is something no one has done before, to the best of my knowledge. Massive respect to Mazda, whose only major failing here is a wildly overzealous application of safety gizmos. I’ve got a few more miles to do and that magic button can stay in the ‘off’ setting.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/maz...romise-almost/
Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 AM
Race Director

When gas gets back up to $4/gal, maybe Mazda will finally bring this to the US.

Biker, who expected 50+MPG from the Skyactiv-X drive train as the writer ^ experienced.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by biker
When gas gets back up to $4/gal, maybe Mazda will finally bring this to the US.

Biker, who expected 50+MPG from the Skyactiv-X drive train as the writer ^ experienced.
Gas has been over $4 a gallon here for years...
Old 11-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Gas has been over $4 a gallon here for years...
Old 11-26-2019, 12:57 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

That's impressive.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Have been seeing a lot of these on the road here. The sedan is the better looking option, IMO, but the HB isn't as bad as the initial images made it out to be.
Old 11-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Have been seeing a lot of these on the road here. The sedan is the better looking option, IMO, but the HB isn't as bad as the initial images made it out to be.
100% agreed. And I love my hatchbacks.
horseshoez (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
100% agreed. And I love my hatchbacks.
Yeah, hatchbacks rock, I've had (for better or worse), a 1979 Scirocco, 1985 Dodge Turbo Daytona, 1993 Ford Probe GT, 2012 VW GTI, and 2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door; in every case, the hatch was beyond useful.
charliemike (11-27-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Race Director

Mazda and its SkyActiv-X engine have been making wonders for the Japanese automaker. Not only that it combines the efficiency of diesel engines with the power and refinement of gasoline mills, but the all-new SkyActiv engine has also been met with great demand in the European market.According to Mazda Europe CEO Yasuhiro Aoyama in a report by Automotive News Europe, the demand for the SkyActiv-X engine is higher than what they expected.

Since we launched the engine, we are seeing a very encouraging feedback: 60 percent of the orders for the Mazda3 are currently for cars equipped with the Skyactiv-X engine, as well as 45 percent of orders for the Mazda CX-30 crossover," .

Aoyama's claim of the apparent demand for the SkyActiv-X came only after a few months of offering the engine to the European market. The SkyActiv-X engine became available on the Mazda3 from September of this year, while the all-new CX-30 compact crossover (gallery above) was launched in October, also with the SkyActiv-X engine.

The question now is: when will the U.S. get this all-new powertrain from Mazda? To recall, the U.S.-spec Mazda3 came with a multitude of engine options, except for the SkyActiv-X. The incoming CX-30 won't have this engine as well as it would be exclusively available with a naturally-aspirated 2.5L SkyActiv-G mill. Worse, it has been confirmed that the SkyActiv-X won't be coming to the U.S. soil anytime soon.

The SkyActiv-X engine is currently offered in Japan and in European markets. Mazda decided to roll out the complex engine in phases, presumably to test the waters and to check if there's going to be a demand for this relatively-new engine technology. Now with this report of high demand coming in, we hope Mazda considers increasing its pace to deliver the SkyActiv-X to the rest of the world.
https://www.motor1.com/news/384987/m...x-high-demand/
Old 11-28-2019, 11:05 AM
Race Director

^ I don't see any other engine option on the Mazda 3 in the UK or Germany besides the X, but on the CX-30 in the UK, the X (~180HP) is about $2000 more than the 2.0l G (~120HP) drive train.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:00 PM

https://www.engadget.com/2019/12/25/...bXDH2DdHXtXGQW

Driver assists can help make our trips much safer, but integrating software decisions into the control of a vehicle could cause serious problems if the system glitches at the wrong time. According to Mazda, a "Incorrect programming" in its Smart Braking System (SBS) can make fourth-generation Mazda3 vehicles to falsely detect an object in their path while driving and automatically apply the brakes while driving. The problem affects 35,390 2019 and 2020 model year cars in the US, but Mazda says it is not aware of any injuries or deaths as a result of the defect.

If the issue occurs, the driver will notice because their car has suddenly stopped, and also as an alarm sounds and a message is displayed on the in-car warning screen. Some Reddit posters report experiencing situations of the system activating while driving with nothing around, and note that while the system can be disabled, it appears to re-enable itself every time the car starts.

Autoblog reports that while some vehicles will simply need to have the system updated or reprogrammed, certain cars with early build dates might need to have their entire instrument cluster replaced or reprogrammed. It's a scary issue, but we've seen Mazda update its cars software to deal with real-life bugs, and the newly-redesigned Mazda3 has already seen a recall to make sure its wheels don't fall off.

Hopefully they get this issue taken care of quickly -- notifications will go out to owners by mail by February 17th next year, or they can contact the automaker for more information -- especially as automatic emergency braking is becoming a commonly-installed feature. Automakers including Mazda have committed to having systems for most cars and trucks by 2022, and a recent update from NHTSA shows most of them are well on their way.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:01 PM

I've got the opposite problem in my C. Collision warning chimes, nothing around, no brakes applied. Need to get in for an appt for that & the auto-stop stopped working.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:22 PM
Latent car nut

Man this auto-stop thing scares the willies out of me. Last year I was driving through northeastern Colorado during a wind storm and there were tumbleweeds, some as much as four or five feet in diameter, blowing across the road; had I been in a newer car instead of my "low-tech" 2006 TL, I fear I would have caused an accident due to the number of tumbleweeds I was forced to literally drive through at 70+ MPH due to traffic.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:32 AM

To an extent, I believe the auto-breaking for an emergency stop is more limited to lower speeds & disabled at high speed, so I doubt it would've panic-stopped for a tumbleweed. But, who knows with the newest batch of driver aids...
Old 01-03-2020, 03:56 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
Define higher speeds. The auto braking in the Outback and VeeDub definitely work at highway speeds.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:20 PM

In normal driving? Or only with the auto-cruise active? Curious how it/they react in the event of the above mentioned tumbleweed or other road debris.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:28 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

In normal driving, too. The CR-V will warn and start to auto-brake if a car in front of me is turning right, for example, and I haven't completely slowed down as I know they will complete the turn and I can accelerate again.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:07 PM
Race Director

Explaining new car sales can be tricky sometimes but there are certain times when the data should be pretty self-explanatory. When a car has been on the market for several years without a major refresh, sales will typically drop. Conversely, a car that was just redesigned should see an uptick in sales. So what the heck is happening with the 2020 Mazda3 sedan and 2020 Mazda3 hatchback?

Mazda's compact sedan and hatchback were all new for 2019 but if you look at the sales numbers for 2019, they are down a staggering 21.5 percent. The Japanese automaker just revealed its sales figures for January 2020, a month where 23,621 vehicles were delivered. This is a 17.8 percent increase compared to January of 2019 but the news still isn't good for the Mazda3.

Of those 23,621 sales, the Mazda3 (in both sedan and hatchback form) only accounted for 2,496 of them. To put this in perspective, the CX-5 crossover (Mazda's best-seller) moved 12,908 units, which was an increase of 21.2 percent compared to 2019 even with no major changes for the 2020 model. Mazda3 sales have now plummeted by 45.7 percent compared to January 2019 when the model sold 4,596 units. It might be easy to explain that Mazda buyers simply prefer crossovers but even the Mazda6 sedan, which is now several years older than the Mazda3, saw an uptick of 8.4 percent for the month of January.

These Mazda3 sales are tough to explain because, by all accounts, it is a great car and one of the freshest models in Mazda's lineup. It debuted with sexy new styling, a premium interior, and the addition of all-wheel-drive for the first time ever. The Mazda3 and Subaru Impreza are now the only non-premium compact sedans to offer AWD, but perhaps shoppers who are looking for this feature have all migrated to crossovers.

The all-new Mazda CX-30 managed to sell 2,368 units in January, topping the model's sales in all of 2019 when it sold 868 units (having just hit dealerships in December). Crossover sales could partially explain the drop in popularity but we think there is another issue holding the Mazda3 back - it needs a performance version.

Crossovers have taken over the mainstream market, that seems pretty obvious by now. But enthusiasts still prefer sedans and hatchbacks, so the Mazda3 just needs more power to appeal to those buyers. With 186 horsepower on tap, the Mazda3 isn't sluggish but we feel it needs a faster version with improved brakes and suspension. Even if such a model does not use the MazdaSpeed name, we think it could help draw a sub-section of buyers away from crossovers.
https://carbuzz.com/news/why-is-no-o...the-new-mazda3
Old 02-07-2020, 12:21 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
It doesn't help that they decided to take the Mazda3 upmarket. A base Mazda3 costs about $3000 more than a base Civic. Frankly, "premium" compact cars sell like ass; most people buying small cars do so because they have a tight budget, and the few who aren't on a budget would rather opt for something substantially nicer like an A3/S3 or 2-Series.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:22 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by fiatlux
It doesn't help that they decided to take the Mazda3 upmarket. A base Mazda3 costs about $3000 more than a base Civic.
I think the 3's problem is that there's a very good alternative on the showroom floor right next to it - the CX30.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:34 PM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

I also still think they screwed up the hatchback styling.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPhilMan1:
charliemike (02-08-2020), civicdrivr (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,416 Likes on 1,868 Posts
I think the 3's problem is that there's a very good alternative on the showroom floor right next to it - the CX30.
The CX30 has only been on sale for a month. It doesn't explain the lackluster Mazda 3 sales for the past year.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:07 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by fiatlux
The CX30 has only been on sale for a month. It doesn't explain the lackluster Mazda 3 sales for the past year.
It might explain the big drop in Jan tho...
Old 02-10-2020, 10:08 AM

Around here, I see many many more CX5s than any other Mazda model on the road. So I think that's a contributor as well.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Team Owner

Yup... when it comes to the newer Mazda, i rarely see anything else other than CX5...
Old 02-10-2020, 05:22 PM
Team Owner

Nope... the 3's problem is Honda Civic. It simply offers more performance, brand reputation and yet cheaper.
Price is King in that segment and turbo just sounds cooler for the early 20s.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 02-10-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Nope... the 3's problem is Honda Civic. It simply offers more performance, brand reputation and yet cheaper.
Price is King in that segment and turbo just sounds cooler for the early 20s.
The 3 looks better inside and out and has way nicer interior materials. I probably would have bought one instead of my ILX had Mazda not cheapened out with the solid rear axle suspension.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:18 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by saturnotaku
The 3 looks better inside and out and has way nicer interior materials. I probably would have bought one instead of my ILX had Mazda not cheapened out with the solid rear axle suspension.
First of all, most of us here would have picked almost anything over an ILX. Can't believe you bought an ILX over a Mazda 3 because it had a solid rear axle?

Looks are subjective and some of us here still think the rear 1/4 on the new 3 looks weird.

Take a look at the sales # between the 3 and Civic because that is the issue and that is what matters.

The following 2 users liked this post by oonowindoo:
fiatlux (02-11-2020), RPhilMan1 (02-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Mazda: Mazda3 News