Mazda: CX-5 News - Page 3 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

Mazda: CX-5 News

Old 08-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Thanked 1,354 Times in 842 Posts
Originally Posted by biker View Post
The diesel hwy numbers seem kinda low, they should be better than the gas equivalent.
I can only assume it’s partly gearing.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:25 PM

Thanked 1,979 Times in 1,167 Posts
Choked to death by emissions bullshit.

I read somewhere that Mazda was also in trouble for something emissions related recently. However, it was something along the lines of accuracy rather than straight up deception like with VW. Whatever Mazda did made them look bad in some ways.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:50 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by Costco View Post
Choked to death by emissions bullshit.

I read somewhere that Mazda was also in trouble for something emissions related recently. However, it was something along the lines of accuracy rather than straight up deception like with VW. Whatever Mazda did made them look bad in some ways.
Could have been a Hyundai type of issue where they overstated MPG.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by charliemike View Post

I can only assume it’s partly gearing.
If those are the real numbers, I don't know why anyone would ever opt for the diesel - that's why folks opt for diesel (either subsidized fuel (many parts of Europe) or a 20% mileage boost over gas equivalent)
Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by biker View Post
If those are the real numbers, I don't know why anyone would ever opt for the diesel - that's why folks opt for diesel (either subsidized fuel (many parts of Europe) or a 20% mileage boost over gas equivalent)
I’m shocked the numbers are that bad. Especially if they are bringing a turbo to the gas engine too. I could see where the diesel provides better performance at no mpg penalty and that being the selling point. But not with a 2.5t also available.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

The European Nissan Qashqai (roughly the size of a CX-5), with a 1.6l diesel (130 HP, 236 lb ft torque), gets 50 MPG.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Thanked 1,312 Times in 967 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike View Post
Man, if I was a year early on a diesel or turbo CC-5 I’m going to be bummed.

If I had the money, I’d trade my current one in for either. This thing needs more than 190lb-ft of torque.
charliemike

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/21/...o-g-vectoring/

The 2019 Mazda CX-5 is getting Mazda's 2.5-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine if this supposed internal document from Reddit is correct. The user claims a salesperson showed him the document in question. In addition to the availability of the turbo engine, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto appear to be added onto every trim level. Do take note that the document says it's from Mazda Canada at the bottom, so that's why the trim levels don't have the same names as they do in the U.S.

Another interesting mention in there is G-Vectoring Control Plus. We've had Mazda's G-Vectoring Control technology for a little while, but never has a car come out with the Plus moniker on there. Our best bet is Mazda has revised its original G-Vectoring system for 2019; we'll have to wait for official information to see what exactly changed though.

At the top of the page Mazda lists "substantial visual changes to the interior" as one of the highlights. The biggest change we can find related to that is a seven-inch LCD display added to the gauge cluster on what would equate to the Grand Touring trim in the U.S. At least Canada — and maybe we too — seems to be getting a fourth trim level called "Signature." This will probably consist of more expensive materials used throughout and maybe a few bonus tech features over the Grand Touring.

The page shared looks plenty legitimate, but it's still best to maintain some healthy skepticism. It's also from Canada, so there could be some slight variations between how those cars are equipped versus those coming stateside. We're excited to see the 2.5-liter turbo in the smaller CX-5, though. It should give that car the extra punch it needs to fend off faster rivals in the ever-expanding crossover segment.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Thanked 2,259 Times in 1,270 Posts
that engine is great in my CX-9, I bet it would be a hoot in a smaller/lighter vehicle.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Son of a bench ... Well, at least I know what I’ll replace this car with in a couple years. Just bad timing as I had to buy something.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

Having driven the CX9 & M6, this engine in the CX5 should be exactly what it needs. The lack of power was about the only complaint I had in the 2-3 CX5 I've test driven over the years.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...-plus-handling

Mazda has introduced a round of updates for its CX-5 small crossover SUV including the addition of a 2.5-liter turbocharged inline-4.

The updates were announced Thursday for the Japanese market and should be announced for more markets shortly.

Mazda's 2.5-liter turbocharged inline-4 is a punchy unit already found in the Mazda 6 and CX-9, where it delivers a peak 250 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque. Those numbers should provide plenty of poke in the smaller CX-5, especially lower in the rev range.

The other big piece of news is the introduction of the G-Vectoring Control Plus (GVC Plus) handling feature. This is an enhancement of the G-Vectoring Control system that debuted in 2016 which is designed to improve traction during cornering by controlling the vertical load on each axle by varying engine torque. GVC Plus goes a step further by adding braking function into the mix.

As the driver steers out of a corner by returning the steering wheel to the center position, GVC Plus applies a light braking force to the outer wheels, providing a stabilizing moment that helps restore the vehicle to straight line running. This is particularly helpful during sudden maneuvers like swerving to avoid an object. Mazda said the system also provides a reassuring feeling of control when changing lanes on the highway and when driving on snow or other slippery road surfaces.

The design of the updated CX-5 remains unchanged, which is a good thing considering the SUV is one of the best lookers on the market. There are new colors for some of the wheels and inside there are new designs for some of the switches, along with new materials and extra speakers in the standard audio system.

Finally, Mazda has also added a CX-5 Exclusive Mode special edition that comes standard with high-quality materials such as Nappa leather and real woodgrain decorative panels. The special edition also gets some extra tech including a surround-view camera monitoring system and a 7.0-inch display in the instrument cluster.

Mazda is yet to announce availability of the updated CX-5 in the United States. We're also waiting for information on availability of the CX-5's 2.2-liter turbocharged inline-4 diesel currently offered overseas.