Mass market hydrogen vehicle from Honda in three years

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mass market hydrogen vehicle from Honda in three years

LeftLaneNews:

"In a speech Wednesday on Honda’s future, CEO Takeo Fukui said the automaker plans to unveil a fully functional concept version of a new hydrogen fuel cell vehicle later this year, with a production version to go on sale “within the next three years.” In February, we cited a report by Monsters and Critics suggesting Honda planned to have a production fuel cell vehicle in four year. The report indicated Honda had found a way to get a 350 mile range from a new hydrogen absorption material, doubling tank capacity. Moreover, the report suggested Honda engineers also solved the problem of cold weather starts, achieving low-temperature starts comparable to gas engines."
Old 05-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it looked like the FCX Concept I'd buy it...if I could get fuel somewhere.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:32 PM
Suzuka Master

The interesting thing will be price and hydrogen availability, which wasn't mentioned. BMW has had the technology for years, but the infastructure isn't there and the technology costs a lot of money. I don't see this catching on in the US for a long time.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Safety Car

Sounds pretty ambitious to me which is great to hear from an auto company. Most look at a business to make a lot of money; others look at a business as a way to make things better, I think in the long run in, that pays off more.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Maximized
The interesting thing will be price and hydrogen availability, which wasn't mentioned. BMW has had the technology for years, but the infastructure isn't there and the technology costs a lot of money. I don't see this catching on in the US for a long time.

It really depends on their technology. Like someone saying a natural gas civic will not be feasible to build because a nationwide infrastructure is really just to expensive.

Solution: Honda designed a home refueling station.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by heyitsme
It really depends on their technology. Like someone saying a natural gas civic will not be feasible to build because a nationwide infrastructure is really just to expensive.

Solution: Honda designed a home refueling station.
There's already stations for Hydrogen in Europe. It's going to take a lot of time to build enough in the US.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Safety Car

There's already stations for Hydrogen in Europe. It's going to take a lot of time to build enough in the US.

Theres already natural gas fueling stations in the US at regular gas stations.
That doesn't change my original response, depends on Hondas techonolgy - whether they even need a station for their fuel cells. Honda aint BMW.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Theres already natural gas fueling stations in the US at regular gas stations.
That doesn't change my original response, depends on Hondas techonolgy - whether they even need a station for their fuel cells. Honda aint BMW.
It's a hydrogen fuel cell. Honda isn't the first to do this. In fact, if they WERE BMW, I would have a lot more confidence that this will be mass marketed in the near future. BMW Engineering > Honda Engineering
Old 05-20-2006, 09:56 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

Engineering is a broad term, you might want to qualify that.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Here read this:
http://www.bmwusa.com/hydrogen
Old 05-21-2006, 12:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW Engineering > Honda Engineering
not in a million years.....

Honda is an INNOVATIVE company, CVCC head, VTEC, SH-AWD, ACE body structures.

Honda still holds the record for highest piston speeds in an engine (F20C) as well as highest hp from an NA motor (again F20C).
Old 05-21-2006, 02:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vishnus11
not in a million years.....

Honda is an INNOVATIVE company, CVCC head, VTEC, SH-AWD, ACE body structures.

Honda still holds the record for highest piston speeds in an engine (F20C) as well as highest hp from an NA motor (again F20C).
If Honda's engineering is so great, why can't they build a competitive luxury car or sports car? Ponder that one for a while.

BMW isn't a innovative company Did you forget that they introduced the technology almost 6 years before Honda. Insterestingly enough, guess who first experimented with Variable timing and Lift(Honda Calls it VTEC).......General Motors. The first functional system was introduced by FIAT, but Honda gets the glory.

Both of your claims for the F20C are FALSE BTW. Highest hp for an NA motor? The LS7 makes double and some change.

Last edited by Maximized; 05-21-2006 at 02:30 AM.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Instructor

The F2oc held the record for highest Hp per liter at 120. NOT highest HP.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Smitty's Moral Police

My honda sports car is pretty competitive, but your blanket statement was nonsense. They may be further along in some area (they've been around a lot longer, they should be) but that doesn't mean BMW (or Honda) are flat out better at "engineering" than anyone else. I've been experimenting with cold fusion in my backyard, some huge company will probably get it working and take credit first though.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

If Honda's engineering is so great, why can't they build a competitive luxury car or sports car? Ponder that one for a while.

Both of your claims for the F20C are FALSE BTW. Highest hp for an NA motor? The LS7 makes double and some change.
Just because they don't make competitive luxury or sports cars has nothing to do with it being great at engineering. What's to blame is that Honda probably isn't great at marketing or knowing what the consumer wants or what sells, but then again luxury or sports cars make up a small chunk of Honda's overall sales. Honda is an excellent engine company and I'm sure they are far more capable of making competitive luxury or sport cars if they were smarter in spotting successful trends earlier. Like any business, they look at what sells and what will bring them money; in the current case; fuel efficient vehicles and hybrids. They're known for innovation and economy, not so much as luxury or sport which companies like BMW, Mercedes, etc. puts so much emphasis on. As far as the LS7 making the highest hp for an N/A motor, well what about the new AMG 6.3L motors, or many v-12 Ferraris, Lamborghini's, or the V-10 Carrera GT. These are all production motors.

Last edited by importtuner; 05-21-2006 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stevens24
The F2oc held the record for highest Hp per liter at 120. NOT highest HP.
whoops! Thats what I meant 2 say. Sorry folks, typo. Obiviously its not the most powerful N/A motor by a long shot. Heck a VQ in an Altima is more powerful.

And yes, I believe the F20C still holds the record for highest piston speeds in a mass produced engine.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

BMW isn't a innovative company Did you forget that they introduced the technology almost 6 years before Honda. Insterestingly enough, guess who first experimented with Variable timing and Lift(Honda Calls it VTEC).......General Motors. The first functional system was introduced by FIAT, but Honda gets the glory.

What the heck are you referring to when you say "the technology"?

Oh, and ever heard of an Acura NSX. First all-aluminum chassis and body in a production vehicle. It's 3.0L engine with 8000rpm redline was revolutionary for its time. Some lining (forget the name, FRM maybe?) on the cylinder walls that was a production car first. I also thought that they were the first company to implement double wishbones in their production vehicles, but I might be wrong.

Take an S2000 for example. In wheel suspension. X-Bone chassis which is just phenomenal - rigidity that betters closed top cars in an open top sports car.

Honda is the king of innovation when it comes to engine technology and is extremely competitive in many other areas as well.