March Sales - Infiniti's G and M models outsell Lexus rivals

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Wow mr deeno good perspective. Unless Honda/Acura really is going to come out with a RWD platform, 300 hp will suck with FWD.

A TL with SH-AWD possibly and 300 + hp starting at or nicely equipped at $38K is a good price, but is it better than a G35 sedan?

But, you forgot if the next gen TL has "wow" styling and a sweet interior people will still buy it or consider it vs. the G35 because of the past good history of the first 3 gens of the TL with resale value and "Honda" quality.
the question isn't whether it is better than a G35 sedan, the question is whether it is better than a G35x. People who don't need or want AWD have the option of spending less money on a RWD G35, and with it better performance from lack of an AWD system.

As for the "wow" styling, the current TL is relatively aggressive for an Acura, but i'd is still relativley conservative...how 'wow' do you really think Acura will go? I do not expect the next TL to change too radically for 2 reasons...1) the trend is to not change your bread-and-butter styling too much and risk isolating their current potential customer base, and 2) it's a honda.

I expect the next TL be very tasteful, maybe a bit futuristic along the lines of the MDX, but not offending or "bold"...this has always been the Acura way.

i think it will be VERY interesting as the next TL approaches.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
the question isn't whether it is better than a G35 sedan, the question is whether it is better than a G35x. People who don't need or want AWD have the option of spending less money on a RWD G35, and with it better performance from lack of an AWD system.

As for the "wow" styling, the current TL is relatively aggressive for an Acura, but i'd is still relativley conservative...how 'wow' do you really think Acura will go? I do not expect the next TL to change too radically for 2 reasons...1) the trend is to not change your bread-and-butter styling too much and risk isolating their current potential customer base, and 2) it's a honda.

I expect the next TL be very tasteful, maybe a bit futuristic along the lines of the MDX, but not offending or "bold"...this has always been the Acura way.

i think it will be VERY interesting as the next TL approaches.
I also wonder if the TL type S will still continue onto the next gen or will they drop it once again. I know that Infiniti is prepared and will release a G37 sedan probably next year or in 2009.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I also wonder if the TL type S will still continue onto the next gen or will they drop it once again. I know that Infiniti is prepared and will release a G37 sedan probably next year or in 2009.

Unless demand for the current TL-S is non-existent (which I doubt), Acura would likely put out a mid-generation performance version of the 4G TL as well.

Originally Posted by jwong77
The new CTS is stunning! I guess theres no better catalyst than near extinction. Heck maybe even Ford can make a comeback.
on your CTS comment. The 2G CTS I observed at the NYIAS looks like it will be one of the best looking sedans in this class. (....and the 300hp 3.6L VVT motor w/6MT pkg should give the CTS equally stunning performance.)

As for Ford, the Fusion/Milan has been a terrific seller for them and is recommended by CR. (no small feat for domestic makes) The addition of that Duratec 35 and maybe some later massaging by SVT can make for some strong competition in its class. So, I think Ford can turn things around as well.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Race Director

What are the odds you think that Infiniti could put out a smaller engine G to compete with the IS250 and TSX? They got into the smaller suv with the EX35, why not compete with this segment too?
Old 04-12-2007, 01:51 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What are the odds you think that Infiniti could put out a smaller engine G to compete with the IS250 and TSX? They got into the smaller suv with the EX35, why not compete with this segment too?

they only got into the smaller sized suv but it still has the 3.5 v6 in there. im sure biker is wishing for a g25 but infiniti doesnt even have that trademarked, i dont think
Old 04-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Infamous425
they only got into the smaller sized suv but it still has the 3.5 v6 in there. im sure biker is wishing for a g25 but infiniti doesnt even have that trademarked, i dont think

that is biker's dream
Old 04-14-2007, 01:48 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
not so shocking..
Old 04-14-2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,662 Likes on 13,898 Posts
Originally Posted by chungkopi
RL sux.
I like it alot...?

If stupid Honda would actually put the Mugen Legend into production and slap that V8 into the freaking production car, I think there's an actual class-leading car.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
^ The Mugen Legend still has the shape of the 2nd gen RL -- pretty boring despite all the mods Mugen added.

Sad to think that Infiniti could jump from near extinction to rivalling (and surpassing) Lexus in sales. But again ... Lexus is not looking at its Japanese rivals, they are looking at the Germans. Lexus doesn't car too much as to # of sales, they want to look at margin. If less cars sold means more 'exclusivity' (and ability to command a higher price), then sobeit. Remember -- Toyota isn't broke and they have a war chest of money to throw into any project they want.

Sales figures talk about today. One needs to keep in mind of what tomorrow's customer wants / needs are.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by derrick
Lexus doesn't car too much as to # of sales, they want to look at margin. If less cars sold means more 'exclusivity' (and ability to command a higher price), then sobeit.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,395 Likes on 700 Posts
Cool Hmm

Originally Posted by F23A4
I would agree as well if not for the IS/GS/RX combo - their big sellers. Having these entry level luxury items hints that they want sales. Also, they could limit the production if they wanted more power over price & exclusivity (I read that is what Honda is doing w/ the Fit) but those things are everywhere.

There are brand snobs out there who look down upon Toyota not just for being gussied up Toyotas but also bc they offer so many entry level items that make the bulk of their sales. Yes, their opinion of Acura is even worse. I do not think Toyota is ready to play up on that field yet but the LS is getting their foot in the door.

I think that Toyota/Lexus/Scion is doing a good job sales wise bc they seem to have something for every market.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by derrick
^ Lexus doesn't car too much as to # of sales, they want to look at margin. If less cars sold means more 'exclusivity' (and ability to command a higher price), then sobeit.
really, is that why they are still keeping ES and RX selling like Accord and Camry
No, Lexus can't really match the M and G with their crrent products, no question about it
but may be next generation will do it