Lincoln: MKS news **2011 Revealed (page 5)**

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This is one sweet car there is no denying it. I would take one over an RL in a heartbeat.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
New Flagship - - By AMY WILSON | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

DETROIT -- Lincoln's MKS concept car is a sneak peek at a long-awaited full-sized sedan for the struggling luxury brand.

Lincoln calls the MKS a teaser that strongly hints at an upcoming flagship sedan and at the brand's design direction. It will be unveiled Monday, Jan. 9, at the Detroit auto show.

A production version of the car is expected as early as late 2007.

The MKS is one of two full-sized sedans being developed for Lincoln on Ford Motor Co.'s D3 car platform. Derived from Volvo, the platform also underpins the Ford Five Hundred sedan.

"What that concept does for us is say, 'OK, we're not stopping. We are going to be back,'" said Al Giombetti, Ford Motor's vice president of sales. "That's very, very important."

It has been a tough decade for Lincoln. Market share losses and an aging car lineup have taken their toll. The brand finished 2005 with an 11.4 percent sales slide in the United States.

The MKS represents the smaller and sportier of the two Lincoln sedans in development.

Lincoln hasn't said whether the production version will carry the MKS name.

The concept features all-wheel drive. A 4.4-liter V-8 engine producing 315 hp is mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.

At one point, Ford Motor was preparing to build the two Lincoln sedans at its Atlanta assembly plant. But with several plants, including Atlanta, being considered for closure, it's unclear where the Lincolns will be built.

Ford's Chicago assembly plant is a possibility. The Five Hundred and other D3-based vehicles already are built there.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see some hints of BMW in it. I like it.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

^ The new flagship coming... I'm really hoping that they get it right. With the MKS, I have high hopes for this car. I really like the MKS, MKX, and Zephyr (to a lesser degree). I think all things considered (the shape that Ford is in right now), these are great products coming out. What's funny, is that it looks Lincoln's product blitz to fill the lineup out will include a flagship that beat's Caddy to the punch. I'm still waiting to see the DTS,ULS, or whatever they call their ultimate sedan to be placed over the STS.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

Steering wheel is too 'old man.'

Is the MKS based upon the Ford Five Hundred [FWD/AWD]?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Safety Car

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2060110.010
Old 01-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned

AWD V8

... with only 15 more hp than the Acura RL
Old 01-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by M TYPE X
Steering wheel is too 'old man.'

Is the MKS based upon the Ford Five Hundred [FWD/AWD]?
I think the AWD is permant. Instead of FWD with AWD when needed. But in a nutshell, yes. It's Ford's D3 platform, based off of the Volvo S80 (also used for the 500/Montego).
Old 01-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by titan
I think the AWD is permant. Instead of FWD with AWD when needed. But in a nutshell, yes. It's Ford's D3 platform, based off of the Volvo S80 (also used for the 500/Montego).
The worldcarfans site specs indicated such. I just raised the question, because much speculation said "FWD/AWD," meaning that they would offer an option, like they do on the Five Hundred and Mercury Montego, of both setups.

Of course, offering a FWD Lincoln "with optional AWD" would be the epitome of pathetic, and if they actually do something stupid like that...
Jerry Flint will laugh. His new piece [see http://www.forbes.com/opinion]
shows he believes that Lincoln is still going down, and he doesn't care for the alphanumeric names either.

The alphanumeric model designations may not be the greatest, but if they are offering stylish V8 sedans powered by all four wheels, then things aren't quite so bad!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Safety Car

The worldcarfans site specs indicated such. I just raised the question, because much speculation said "FWD/AWD," meaning that they would offer an option, like they do on the Five Hundred and Mercury Montego, of both setups.

Of course, offering a FWD Lincoln "with optional AWD" would be the epitome of pathetic, and if they actually do something stupid like that...
Jerry Flint will laugh. His new piece [see http://www.forbes.com/opinion]
shows he believes that Lincoln is still going down, and he doesn't care for the alphanumeric names either.

The alphanumeric model designations may not be the greatest, but if they are offering stylish V8 sedans powered by all four wheels, then things aren't quite so bad!
Precisely. Offering this car in standard FWD, with the option of AWD, would be the absolutely pathetic. That's one of my biggest gripes about the Zephyr. They should have had AWD standard; to differentiate it from it's siblings, and to help justify the price. This car, and the upcoming flagship will be standard AWD. As far as offering "stylish V8 sedans powered by all four wheels," hey, it works for Audi!
Old 01-10-2006, 10:32 PM
Banned

Precisely. Offering this car in standard FWD, with the option of AWD, would be the absolutely pathetic. That's one of my biggest gripes about the Zephyr. They should have had AWD standard; to differentiate it from it's siblings, and to help justify the price. This car, and the upcoming flagship will be standard AWD. As far as offering "stylish V8 sedans powered by all four wheels," hey, it works for Audi!
The Zephyr gained nothing substantial versus the Milan. More engine power would have been the bare minimum.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Safety Car

The Zephyr gained nothing substantial versus the Milan. More engine power would have been the bare minimum.
I agree. And that's why I think if it would have gotten some Zephyr only features; the AWD standard, the 3.5L Duratec, and other luxo items (Bluetooth etc.), it would have helped. As it stands, it's really hard for Lincoln to justify the Zephyr's price over the others.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Suzuka Master

How is it pathetic? Audi offers FWD standard and Quatro optional on certain models.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Maximized
How is it pathetic? Audi offers FWD standard and Quatro optional on certain models.
I was agreeing with M Type that it's pathetic if Lincoln didn't offer standard AWD. I know that Audi technically offers FWD on some models, but for all practical purposes, I don't think I've ever seen one in person. Everyone I see says Quattro. But that's not really my point. The point is, Lincoln's not Audi. Not by along shot. They have to go above and beyond, just to get noticed. So, why not offer AWD as standard equipment as they're doing? It can be used as a marketing tool, where FWD is not. If they didn't offer it as standard, it would be pathetic... but here not. Kudos to them for getting this right.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

I was agreeing with M Type that it's pathetic if Lincoln didn't offer standard AWD. I know that Audi technically offers FWD on some models, but for all practical purposes, I don't think I've ever seen one in person. Everyone I see says Quattro. But that's not really my point. The point is, Lincoln's not Audi. Not by along shot. They have to go above and beyond, just to get noticed. So, why not offer AWD as standard equipment as they're doing? It can be used as a marketing tool, where FWD is not. If they didn't offer it as standard, it would be pathetic... but here not. Kudos to them for getting this right.
I've had FWD TT and A4 loaners before that's why I brought it up. FWD is fine and will probably be offered with the new Ford 3.5L engine. AWD adds cost, weight, and decreases fuel economy. The V8 should have standard AWD . This car is great news for Lincoln.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
And come to think of it, I find the Milan better looking inside and out.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by phile
And come to think of it, I find the Milan better looking inside and out.
You must be under 60.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Lincoln Sports New Face, New Outlook - - Source: The Car Connection

The perennial question - what is Lincoln ? - may finally be answered by two concepts unveiled at this year's North American International Auto Show. The MKS show car intends to show where the troubled luxury brand will go with a new flagship sedan expected to market for 2008. Somewhat up-market from today's LS, the MKS aims for the middle of today's luxury segment, where products like the BMW 5-Series now dominate. The sporty sweep of the roof line sharply contrasts the current LS. The interior is filled with electronic goodies, including a 14-speaker audio system and Bluetooth hands-free phone technology. The suede dash is accented by a "ribbon of maple," noted Ford Motor Co.'s North American design director, Peter Horbury. Under the hood, the MKS features a 315-hp V-8 mated to a six-speed automatic and an all-wheel-drive powertrain.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Pinky all stinky

You must be under 60.
I've actually seen a handful of the Zephyr driving around town. They're very distinctive at night, the amber lower part of the headlights give it away. And young people are driving them!
Old 01-14-2006, 10:57 PM
Safety Car

Real world pics of the MKS.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Drifting

That is one SEXY Lincoln!
Old 01-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Drifting

More pics...

Old 01-15-2006, 02:37 AM
Instructor

Looks good. Need bigger tail lights. right now it look like a bad knockoff of the Maser Quattroporte.

The interior would be great if they can keep it in production. Looks feasible aside from the suede/Alcantara dash/doorcap covering. impractical because it traps too much dust.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned

I liked the MKS I saw in person yesterdat @ NAIAS. That steering wheel is just too old-man though and has to go!
Old 01-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Safety Car

^ Really? I really like the steering wheel... If this interior was kept for production it'd be a major step for Lincoln. I like the car, both in and out. I can't wait to see it in person.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

The steering wheel is Fugly and the Lincoln symbol is way too large. I would like to see more wood on the center console instead of the fake looking Aluminum. The instrument cluster needs work too. It came straight out of the Ford Parts bin.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Drifting

The steering wheel is Fugly and the Lincoln symbol is way too large. I would like to see more wood on the center console instead of the fake looking Aluminum. The instrument cluster needs work too. It came straight out of the Ford Parts bin.
I highly doubt the aluminum is fake, afterall it has suede all over the cabin.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DownUnder
Yeah. The cabin's sure to be all real. Especially since it's a concept.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:55 AM
Suzuka Master

The production car will use fake aluminum, just like the stuff in my 05 Mustang. The concept Mustang had the real stuff too IIRC.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Drifting

The production car will use fake aluminum, just like the stuff in my 05 Mustang. The concept Mustang had the real stuff too IIRC.
What makes you so sure? This will be a $50K+ car I'm sure Lincoln will use the real thing.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Safety Car

I'm not so sure. This is an expensive luxury car. Whatever wood and aluminum in the car, will probably be real.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Pinky all stinky

What makes you so sure? This will be a $50K+ car I'm sure Lincoln will use the real thing.
Price isn't necessarily a guarantee that the aluminum will be real. The RL and Lexus GS, for example, still use the fake stuff whereas the aluminum in the M35/45 is real. And the current crop of Lincolns, including pricey models like the Navigator and Mark LT, use fake aluminum in their interiors.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm not so sure. This is an expensive luxury car. Whatever wood and aluminum in the car, will probably be real.
This car will cut costs given Ford's financial status. It needs to to undercut the competition on price.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
front looks from an Acura (is that an RL front end with a huge-ass grille?)

Side profile looks like from Lexus...pretty good.

Rear looks kinda like a ford taurus, but with shrunken taillights.

And they'll probably use fake aluminum...just because there's a cut in cost doesn't translate to reduction in price...it may translate to higher profit margins instead. you gotta remember that the "big 3" are controlled by bean counters looking to maximize profit over the short term.

and yes, that steering wheel is butt-fugly.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Safety Car

This car will cut costs given Ford's financial status. It needs to to undercut the competition on price.
They'll already be a price leader. With or without real aluminum or real wood. A few genuine pieces here and there won't result in the comparative thousands saved buying this car instead of an E, GS, etc. It'll be from sharing this platform with the upcoming Linclon flagship, and the fact that it originates from the mass produced D3.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Chicago, Oakville get new Lincolns - - Amy Wilson - - Source: AUtomotive News

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. plants in Chicago and Oakville, Ontario, will get the new Lincoln sedans and minivan replacements once slated for the doomed Atlanta plant.

And the automaker says it now will give suppliers lower, more realistic volume projections for new vehicles.

Atlanta, which ends production later this year, is one of 14 plants Ford intends to close through 2012, eliminating up to 30,000 plant jobs. It's all part of the Way Forward North American restructuring plan announced Jan. 23.

Taurus ends Aug. 31
Ford had spent nearly two years planning a major overhaul of the Atlanta plant after the death of its current product, the Ford Taurus sedan.

But the automaker ultimately deemed it couldn't afford to keep Atlanta open. That plant, one of Ford's most productive, is scheduled to end Taurus production on Aug. 31, though it could be briefly extended, says a source at the plant.

Here are new locations, timing and volume projections for the products once intended for Atlanta:

The first of two Lincolns, the production version of the MKS sedan concept shown at last month's Detroit auto show, will be assembled in Chicago beginning in February 2008, suppliers said. Code-named d385, its volume is projected at about 50,000 units annually, they said.

"That is definitely going into production pretty much as shown at the auto show," said another supplier who attended the meeting.

The location change means the Job 1 date will slip by several months. At one time, Ford had planned to launch the vehicle in Atlanta in fall 2007.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Banned

Oh goody, fake Lincolns in a fake assembly plant. [/red]

<= sore over the loss of Wixom
Old 02-07-2006, 01:05 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. plants in Chicago and Oakville, Ontario, will get the new Lincoln sedans and minivan replacements once slated for the doomed Atlanta plant.
Lincoln minivan?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Lincoln minivan?
Sure...it'll compete with the Buick Terrazza.

there's a market for luxury minivans <snicker snicker>
Old 02-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrdeeno
Sure...it'll compete with the Buick Terrazza.

there's a market for luxury minivans <snicker snicker>

Maybe the Chrysler Town & Country.
The Buick and Mercury vans don't sell all that great.

Quick Reply: Lincoln: MKS news **2011 Revealed (page 5)**