AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/)
-   -   Lexus: IS News (https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/lexus-news-314069/)

oonowindoo 09-30-2020 03:33 PM

:boring:

SamDoe1 09-30-2020 04:11 PM

meh.

my economy car is quite a lot faster than the is350.

guessing the performance people aren't the target market for this thing.

fiatlux 09-30-2020 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16636744)
meh.

my economy car is quite a lot faster than the is350.

guessing the performance people aren't the target market for this thing.

Of the two people I know who recently purchased an IS350, reason is because:
1) Reliable
2) They liked the looks
3) It's fast enough
4) Reliable

That was basically it.

oonowindoo 09-30-2020 04:51 PM

Considering how tiny the back seats are... not only it sux in performance, It is also too small... many of the compact cars have more leg room than IS....

biker 12-18-2020 09:28 PM

The third-generation Lexus IS arrives for the 2021 model year with development miles accrued at a new technical center in Japan, including a 3.3-mile track. Furthermore Lexus widened the front track and worked to reduce the car's un-sprung mass with bolt hubs replacing studs as well as lighter-weight springs and suspension arms. That means it comes with more sport sedan street cred. But you have to look in the right place to find it.
That’s because the IS sold in the U.S. comes in two models, IS 300 and IS 350 F Sport, with three engines, two transmissions, and two drivetrains. And that combination of kit is split in an atypical way to give you four different configurations to choose from.

It starts with the IS 300 rear-wheel-drive (RWD). It has a 2.0-liter turbocharged inline-four producing 241 hp between 5,200 – 5,800 rpm and 258 lb-ft of torque between 1,650 – 4,400 rpm. An eight-speed automatic transmission bolts on and sends power to the rear, 18-inch wheels. The IS 300 starts at $40,025.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...g?resize=480:*

The 2021 Lexus IS 350 F Sport in profile LEXUSIf you stick with an IS 300, but want all-wheel-drive (AWD), you get a different engine and transmission. It’s a naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V6 peaking at 260 horsepower at 6,600 rpm and 236 lb-ft of torque between 2,000 – 4,800 rpm. But going AWD also reduces forward gears from eight to six. Doing so also raises the base price $2k to $42,025.

Moving up to an IS 350 now means you also automatically move up to the F Sport. In other words, the F-Sport is only offered on the IS 350 and also the only way one can get an IS 350. So you get a sportier look including 19-inch wheels, different front and rear bumpers, and a spoiler. Moreover, you also get a different steering wheel that’s heated as well as more adjustable and heavily bolstered heated and ventilated front seats.

The least expensive IS 350 F Sport is the RWD model. It comes with yet a different engine. While still a naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V6, it is tuned to produce 311 hp at 6,600 rpm and 280 lb-ft of torque at 4,800 rpm, though you need premium gas to achieve those numbers. It costs $43,925.
The final configuration is, logically enough, the IS 350 F Sport AWD. In it, you get the more powerful of the two V6s, but the same six-speed transmission as the IS 300 AWD. This is what causes a small anomaly. Usually cars equipped with AWD have RWD beat in off-the-line acceleration and reach 60 mph first. Not here. The IS 350 RWD hits 60 mph in 5.6 seconds, the AWD, 5.7. Regardless, this model starts at $45,925.

But to truly reap the rewards of a wider front track and less un-sprung mass to chuck around, not to mention forcing the front brake ducts to earn their share of front bumper space, you need to add the Dynamic Handling Package. Doing so adds $4,200 to the price tag—$3,800 for AWD models—but adds adjustable dampers, four pounds per corner lighter 19-inch BBS wheels, and more drive modes, including a Sport plus setting.

And, really, you need to get the RWD IS 350 F Sport because that is the only way for the Handling Package to include a Torsen limited slip rear differential and summer performance tires. If you’re thinking about track time in a Lexus, this is really your only option here. And, honestly, $48,125 for said car is totally competitive in today’s market. More on that in a minute.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...g?resize=480:*

A look inside the Lexus IS LEXUSSo, yeah, it’s an odd combination of ways to configure a car trying to be a traditional sports sedan. And when I got behind the wheel of an IS 350 AWD without the dynamic handling package, I came away feeling it’s the wrong choice for enthusiasts.

There are several positives, including the sonorous sound from naturally aspirated six-cylinders, an increasingly rare delight these days. You also sit in supportive seats and show off a generally pleasing sport-sedan look. But you also only get six-speeds to work with in the transmission, so the engine has to work harder than you think it should these days.

“What?! Why is the engine dropping more than a 1,000 revs below power peak?”

Handling is a bit of a mixed bag, too. The IS generally behaves well. Steering is precise and feel is actually better than expected, thank you new test track, but grip from the all-season rubber is pretty darn low. Furthermore, the body rolled into corners enough to liken it to a Lexus ES.

You do have different drive modes, but you don’t have adjustable dampers, so going into sport drive mode speeds up shifts and weights up the steering a bit, but little else. And with AWD, I got no help increasing the fun from the powertrain, either. Even with a heavy right foot, the rear end would not budge, not even a little. Believe me, I tried. Ultimately, I came away a bit underwhelmed.
That was true of driver comfort as well. It’s actually quite comfortable save for one issue. In the middle of the driver’s side foot well is this odd hump coming out of the transmission tunnel. It’s just big enough to disturb you while driving. It’s not in the way of your leg to work the pedals or anything, but as you apply throttle—especially in a corner—your calf feels pressure against it. It’s unsettling. I imagine if you bought one, you’d get used to it, but I’d be much happier if it wasn’t there.

It’s not there on RWD IS models. And after getting the chance to drive this proper IS sports sedan variant, I very much appreciate its absence. First of all, my throttle pedal is free from any disturbance, just as it should be. Then there’s the massive difference the eight-speed transmission makes, especially in sport plus mode. You can now exit out of corners with real vigor, staying closer to the V6’s performance sweet spot and sweet engine note as well. This V6 is a darling of a motor and the eight-speed box compliments that much better than the AWD’s six-speed.

Chassis balance improves as well. You have less resistance to initial turn-in and greater ease sticking the nose precisely where you want it. And while the rear-end stays stable with spirited driving, thanks to the Torsen differential you can now coax it to wiggle around with a heavy boot of throttle. Though even with adjustable dampers in their sportiest setting, the IS would benefit from a stiffer suspension, as there is still more body roll than necessary. That said, you are going to like the performance rubber and love the lightweight BBS wheels. They likely play an important role in improving the feel and willingness of the front-end.

In the context of all the added athleticism, the brakes are a minor disappointment. There’s more than ideal pedal travel before you get initial bite of the brakes and they continue to feel squishy with even more pedal travel as you ask for more stopping power. There’s nothing bad here, just not as good as the best systems out there.

On the plus side, the steering rack is nice and fast. Steering assistance is nicely weighted, which makes it easy to be precise with the wheel and make minute adjustments on the fly. Steering feel isn’t great, but the rest of the car communicates well, giving you a good sense of available remaining grip. And, if you prefer numbers, you get a g meter to glance at as you accelerate, brake and corner.

And everyone can appreciate the cool styling. The IS stands low and wide and generally looks sharp. Both the front and rear wheel arches flare out wide. When looking in profile, you see a strong crease in the metal extends at a 45-degree angle from the middle bottom of the rear door to meet the top of the rear wheel well. Nice.

Some people find the front grille more appetizing than others, but the daytime running lights now rest above the headlights and form a check-mark shape, which I like. The rear is the busiest part. There’s this Tupperware lid shape on top, it gives a wide perch for the taillights and a narrow one for the spoiler. But all praise the true, legit dual exhaust pipes. They are a big plus.
Inside, I appreciate the flexibility of the 60/40 split folding rear seats for cargo and the dual-climate control to mitigate fights over temperature. Standard equipment for infotainment duties is an eight-inch center console display, but feel free to upgrade to a 10.3-inch widescreen instead. Either way you get Apple Carplay and Android Auto connectivity.

And, of course there’s new safety tech. It’s got a new name, too: Lexus Safety System plus 2.5. It adds to the list of usual safety systems new features like daytime bicycle detection and intersection turning assist. This is, of course, in addition to your now usual automatic emergency braking and adaptive cruise control.
This content is imported from {embed-name}. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.Considering the 2021 Lexus IS price it’s easy to see the practical value in this car. But it is highly dependent on powertrain selection to connect to it emotionally. A car needs to speak to you and listen as well. And the IS 350 F Sport AWD simply does not, but the RWD does. When you consider the very competitive price, the Lexus IS 350 F Sport is a compelling option for a sports sedan.
Lexus Launched the 2021 IS and Offers a Wide Variety in Packages (autoweek.com)

ttribe 02-22-2021 03:02 PM

They're not calling it an "IS-F," but really, it's an IS-F.

Lexus's familiar 5.0-liter V-8 engine has returned to the IS sports sedan, this time in the form of the new 2022 IS500 F Sport Performance model. Although the company is not calling it a full F model this time around, the IS500 reminds us of the original IS F. That car, which first appeared in 2008, had this same naturally aspirated V-8, bulging hood, and overall stance.

This time around, the V-8 produces 472 horsepower and 395 pound-feet of torque, the same as in the RC F coupe. Rear-wheel drive and an eight-speed automatic transmission are standard. The IS500 has the same limited-slip differential and adaptive dampers that are optional on the V-6–powered IS350 F Sport. The IS500's brakes are slightly larger, and the 19-inch wheels are exclusive to this model and claim to be lighter than the IS350 F Sport's wheels. Overall curb weight is up by a claimed 143 pounds over the V-6 car.
Link: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...ource=facebook

oonowindoo 02-22-2021 03:20 PM

Like what the article said.. it all depends on the pricing...

If they priced it as a M3/C63 competitor, then they might as well just keep it to themselves...

If they priced it as a M340i or C43 competitor, then it is a very attractive package.... I might even consider one since M440i is so fugly..

00TL-P3.2 02-22-2021 03:28 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...bec7f5e2ab.png

honda_nut 02-22-2021 04:07 PM

I really want to like this car, but the performance just doesn't compete. If priced right, I may consider it, but I doubt that it will. A loaded IS350 F-sport already comes in at the mid $50k range, so how much would this cost on top of that. By comparison, a M340i will beat this with less power and a Genesis G70 will come awfully close to the performance for much cheaper again with less power. If this was priced at $55k, I'd overlook those numbers for the V8 soundtrack and Lexus reliability. At $65k or more, you'd be paying extra for older, less efficient performance and tech, and that would cause these to linger on the sales floor like the RC F.

Wonder why they didn't used the twin turbo V6 from the LS500, though again the V8 sounds much better.

oonowindoo 02-22-2021 04:21 PM

According to C&D, the estimated base price is $56k... considering it has all the performance options from IS350 added already as standard options. I think the car will be very very competitive between $56-$65k base on options, which is the same as M340i.
4 series just ugly itself out.... The new C class including C63 will be a fucking 4 cylinders :rofl: I feel bad for the AMG guys. So the IS500 would probably steal some customers from BMW and Mercedes this time around.... (like me)

While i think the M340i will still run circles around it despite the 100hp difference on paper, But a 500hp V8 also has its charm that an FI 6 cylinders will never have.

Again, it all comes down to pricing....

SamDoe1 02-22-2021 04:37 PM

The other factor is that Lexus interiors, while nice, are ancient compared to the newer tech in other brands. Also, I agree that this will compete with the M340, S4, C43, etc lineup, not the "true" performance cars of our time. If this lands in the low to mid 50's, they'll have a winner.

oonowindoo 02-22-2021 05:25 PM

yah those black plastic pieces, especially near the idrive knob area look cheap AF.... but hey i can overlook all of those if the price is right.

oonowindoo 02-22-2021 06:11 PM

I just went over to Lexus.com and built an IS350 Fsport...
I :rofl: so hard...

Are they the new BMW? I can't remember the last time I noticed a Luxury brand charge $1100 for the sunroof :rofl: , especially on their top trim IS350 or Navigation package :rofl: Or buying a Fsport then have to spend another $3000 for the actual F sport package... :rofl:

honda_nut 02-22-2021 07:06 PM

Also the wider infotainment screen isn't standard on the IS350. I was curiously browsing inventory or cars.com and nearly all of them had the smaller screen that looks like its out of a Rav4. Even Acura knows that people like big screens. Oh and good luck finding a single F-sport with the triple beam headlights.

nist7 02-22-2021 07:46 PM

I personally love it....any time a naturally aspirated V8, RWD sport sedan comes out? I'm all in. I thought all car enthusiasts will welcome this. The era of the NA V8 is dying and of all companies..To-motherfucking-yota comes out with a big V8 sport sedan...lmao

High revving NA V8 with the quality and reliability of Lexus??? Yes please.

Indeed they are not the cutting edge in terms of infotainment or really flashy interior design...(I wonder if that center armrest/shifter area looks worse in photos than in real life....at least its not some piano black plastic that looks great in photos but is instantly fugly/dirty in RL....looks like they decided against shiny bits to break up that area like what M340i did with the metal-looking center area....)...probably a sign of toyota's conservative design philosophy and preferring function over form

Funny how the Japanese are putting out new big displacement V8 sport sedans while Europeans are going 4-poppers....lol

And then if the rumors of a potential LC-F is true...oh man.

srika 02-22-2021 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by nist7 (Post 16693217)
I personally love it....any time a naturally aspirated V8, RWD sport sedan comes out? I'm all in. I thought all car enthusiasts will welcome this. The era of the NA V8 is dying and of all companies..To-motherfucking-yota comes out with a big V8 sport sedan...lmao

High revving NA V8 with the quality and reliability of Lexus??? Yes please.

Indeed they are not the cutting edge in terms of infotainment or really flashy interior design...(I wonder if that center armrest/shifter area looks worse in photos than in real life....at least its not some piano black plastic that looks great in photos but is instantly fugly/dirty in RL....looks like they decided against shiny bits to break up that area like what M340i did with the metal-looking center area....)...probably a sign of toyota's conservative design philosophy and preferring function over form

Funny how the Japanese are putting out new big displacement V8 sport sedans while Europeans are going 4-poppers....lol

And then if the rumors of a potential LC-F is true...oh man.

This.

and I haven't even been keeping up with LC-F stuff - hope it happens!

Curious3GTL 02-23-2021 07:38 AM

0-60 in 4.5 seconds I hope is underrated considered the M340i can do it in 3.8 seconds.

SamDoe1 02-23-2021 08:27 AM

My economy car can do 0-60 in 4.5s with half the cylinders and 60% less displacement.

DJ Iceman 02-23-2021 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16693126)
I might even consider one since M440i is so fugly..

It's not like anything in the Lexus lineup right now is going to win any beauty prizes either.

oonowindoo 02-23-2021 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Curious3GTL (Post 16693307)
0-60 in 4.5 seconds I hope is underrated considered the M340i can do it in 3.8 seconds.

M340i will be faster.. especially with X drive... it doesn't matter the V8 is underrated or not.
M340i is already faster than RCF in 1/4 by half a sec and 3-4 mph higher trap speed. So i could only assume IS500 will be even slower.

oonowindoo 02-23-2021 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Iceman (Post 16693346)
It's not like anything in the Lexus lineup right now is going to win any beauty prizes either.

As a F30 335i, F36 435iGC and F30 LCI 340i owner, i can tell you that IS500 is farrrrrr better looking than the new 4 series.

I was just at the dealer dropping off my car for service and saw the M440i in person.... Nope.. still ugly..
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...bef8939d82.jpg

00TL-P3.2 02-23-2021 01:11 PM

:ugly:

oonowindoo 02-23-2021 01:27 PM

That 8 series in the background tho :drool:

Seriously, BMW didnt even have to try with the new 4 series, all they had to do is just make the 8 series smaller than they would have a winner!

SamDoe1 02-23-2021 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by oonowindoo (Post 16693478)
That 8 series in the background tho :drool:

Seriously, BMW didnt even have to try with the new 4 series, all they had to do is just make the 8 series smaller than they would have a winner!

This.

Or just used the styling from the normal 3 series. It really would have been just that easy lol.

Curious3GTL 02-23-2021 06:35 PM

From a distance that 8 series looks like a 3 series to me. It's hard to tell the difference. Not that it's a bad thing since they're both good looking cars unlike the 4 series.

The other thing that makes the 4 series worse is sticking a license plate in the middle of it. I already hate front plates but I hate them more on that car lol

oonowindoo 02-24-2021 01:12 PM

in real life, you will not confuse a 8 series with a 3 series.. from a distance or close up...

M8 GC .... if only....

iforyou 02-24-2021 06:58 PM

Yea I guess it depends on the price. Low $60k would be sweet for a fully loaded one (as loaded as the IS350 F Sport for $55k). It's definitely missing some features that others offer, it's riding on a 2013 chassis with so little update, and the interior is barely updated since 2013 (there's still a CD player!). These are reasons that it should be over $65k IMO.

But for those that want a NA V8 relatively high revving engine in a sports sedan with Toyota legendary reliability, this is it. That's probably enough reason to get one. This engine with an aftermarket exhaust sounds glorious (start at 1:20). Can't get the same engine/exhaust note with today's turbo 6:

oonowindoo 02-25-2021 12:43 PM

There is nothing special about the car other than that 472hp NA V8.... that is it...It is Old school

But with how the new cars are in terms of driving characteristics.. being old school right now might not be a bad thing... so we will have to see how it actually drives.

Just looked at the potential release date.. it will be the 2nd half of the year.... i might not be able to wait for that long... oh well..

iforyou 02-27-2021 01:31 AM

Yea, old school is probably not a bad thing. But ya, it's riding on an old chassis with not a lot of changes. And the interior looks very dated already. In that sense spending $60k+ seems excessive.

nist7 02-27-2021 08:37 AM

I thought car enthusiasts loved old school stuff?

Miata - old school formula continuing - small light weight, NA motor, MT available, RWD, minimal electronics. GT350 - high revving NA V8, MT, interior and reliability is crap and mustang chassis - but loved. GT3 - high revving NA 6, MT, the holy grail of THE driver's car for many entusiasts. New NSX - many people wish it was a revival of the old school NSX but more hp..how many would LOVE to see the new NSX with a NA V10, manual trans, rwd and delete the hybrid stuff?

Or Hellcats - supercharged V8 in old ass/heavy-ass chassis...interior is shit...Doge is like..who the fuck cares..lets make 700hp cars that goes fast AF....and some have MT options too....sells like hot cakes.

Most cars going turbo, many cars with no MT option, most have electronics out the wazoo....cars like S2k, OG NSX, the first gen Ford GT, E92/46 M3, etc. going for crazy money on BaT.

Downside of course for this IS500 is that it is not a true "F" car...basically using RC-F motor in a IS F sport....no MT...older chassis...interior....probably would've been way too much money for Toyota develop new chassis/interior to be a true 2nd gent IS-F...

SamDoe1 02-27-2021 09:12 AM

^ the difference is that none of those cars are trying to be anything but a ludicrous engine strapped to a car. They're not trying to be luxury, they're trying (and succeeding) to be ridiculous and that's what sells them.

nist7 02-27-2021 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by SamDoe1 (Post 16694815)
^ the difference is that none of those cars are trying to be anything but a ludicrous engine strapped to a car. They're not trying to be luxury, they're trying (and succeeding) to be ridiculous and that's what sells them.

Fair enough on that point

Though elements of "old school" is still very much appreciated in the car enthusiast world, IMO. And that was part of my point.

What if Lexus came out with say a IS-F 2.0? big NA V8, MT option, RWD, but also with great interior luxury and updated infotainment....marrying old school drive-train AND new school interior/infotainment...I think that is one formula that most enthusiasts would love to see come back....

YEH 02-27-2021 01:03 PM

Minimal investment + enough old school buyers still out there = enough potential ROI for Toyota to make it worth their while.

SamDoe1 02-27-2021 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by nist7 (Post 16694822)
Fair enough on that point

Though elements of "old school" is still very much appreciated in the car enthusiast world, IMO. And that was part of my point.

What if Lexus came out with say a IS-F 2.0? big NA V8, MT option, RWD, but also with great interior luxury and updated infotainment....marrying old school drive-train AND new school interior/infotainment...I think that is one formula that most enthusiasts would love to see come back....

Elements of old school are welcome, this is just downright old.

A IS-F to actually take on the Germans would make more sense than tossing an antiquated engine into an antiquated car.

DJ Iceman 02-27-2021 08:10 PM

That's right, SamDoe1. This is just another example of Lexus phoning it in, which is really dangerous for them as a brand. So far, they've survived on reputation alone as their current vehicle line-up isn't class-leading in any objective measure (and subjectively they're ugly as sin). Too many swings-and-a-miss like this, and they'll lose a whole generation of car-buyers who will dismiss Lexus as "the brand that used to be good".

Sarlacc 02-28-2021 12:36 AM

The only thing I hate is the stupid finger pad control. Terrible. Otherwise, I'd rock this car.

iforyou 02-28-2021 02:08 AM

Yea gotta agree with Yeh and SameDoe1. It's one thing to create a car with old-school tradition, but it's another to just throw in an old engine into an old car/chassis. There are likely enough people that would buy the IS 500. Though the other view that Lexus is investing very little to sedans is true too. The IS runs on the same platform as the RC and GS, so throwing that V8 into the IS is arguably not very difficult. It's probably easier than fitting the 3.5L 6-cyl TT from the LS. They've made no mention of strengthening the chassis. They simply bolted on bigger brakes, adaptive dampers, and LSD to handle the extra power. The IS when it came out in 2014 was praised for its driving dynamics. But over the years others have improved and the IS is a bit behind already.

YEH 02-28-2021 11:50 AM

^ Already had the V8 in the IS-F which was discontinued about a year ago, so really no extra work required (basically just renamed the IS-F the IS F-Sport Performance).

Sticking in the TTV6 from the LS 500 would have required more engineering work/cost.

fiatlux 02-28-2021 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by YEH (Post 16695149)
^ Already had the V8 in the IS-F which was discontinued about a year ago, so really no extra work required (basically just renamed the IS-F the IS F-Sport Performance).

Sticking in the TTV6 from the LS 500 would have required more engineering work/cost.

I think you mean the RC-F. The third gen IS never got an F model.

YEH 02-28-2021 12:29 PM

You're right, my bad - but the chassis is essentially carried over.