Old 12-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice looking! jus dont like the rear at all
Old 12-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by charliemike
I still can't believe how expensive cars are now.

$60k for a M45/GS430 ... Wasn't the GS400 in the high 40s about 10 years ago?
I don't think cars are necessarily getting more expensive, it's just that Lexus has been slowly creeping up the price range. Remember when Lexus first came out...a Lexus LS400 was what, $35,000? I bet if you adjusted for inflation, that would still come out as one helluva deal! The same with Acura...how much was the Legend...now an RL starts at barely below 50K.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:11 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by gavriil
I think the RL's dash looks better than the dash of the other two. I wonder which one feels better.
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say the Lexus would probably feel better than the other two. There are up close pics of the M's interior on Nissan's media site and I see what looks like soft touch materials throughout the cabin, but not as much padding as the other two. Look closely and you'll see that the RL and GS both have leather lining the sides of their center consoles...the M does not. And if you look at pics available for the GS on clublexus, there's a shot of the rear cabin with the doors open...the leather on the seats extends further down until it visually disappears...in both the RL and M, you can clearly see where the luxury ends; the leather seats sit on top of the fuzzy interior floor lining that is visible when the doors are open. But I do see that the RL has perforated leather seats...not sure about the GS, and the M doesn't appear to have them. Gauging with my buttocks, perforated seats in general are more comfortable than regular leather seats.

I'm not really knocking the RL or the M's interior...the stuff they bring is pretty much the industry norm, which is fine...but it's Lexus who's upping the ante with these subtle touches that I'm bringing up.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

It's amazing how far Infiniti has come. GM should go to school and study the Nissan/Infiniti case and dont get out of school untill they answer 100% of the questions correctly on the test at the end. Infiniti shows what losers others are. Especially the ones that are saying "we're going for a dramatic change for the better". Compared to Cadillac which everyone is admiting has improved a lot, Inifiniti should be lauging at.

3-4 years ago, Infiniti had...pretty much nothing to show for itself. The I30 and the G20. Remember those? Now, we're all sitting here and flat out comparing the Infiniti to Lexus design and quality and cant decide which one is better. Think about this. It took them 3-4 years to get to this point. GM has already been trying for 3-4 years and Ford for 2-3 years. And they have...pretty much nothing to show for it (especially Ford). How much of a loser team can a company have and NOT KNOW IT?

I want to see GM kick ass as you know, but I have lost hope at this point.
Ditto, 100% I'll give GM credit for having the balls of implementing the changes at Caddy (especially the styling/design dept.), which amounted to a do or die situation, for that division's turnaround. But it also has to do with the recoginition that RWD is necessary and performance versions of it's models can only help. Caddy's been the only bright spot. When the said that they would make Buick a viable alternative to Lexus, I was happy as hell. I have alot of fond memories chillin' in the back of my dad's Regal... but coming out with underpowered FWD SUVs (Rendevous) and sad looking Minivans' posing as SUVs (Terrazza) is no way at meeting that goal. Of all the automakers, GM's vast resources should have truly meant a revitalization.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Beltfed
Looks and quality are two different things......Lexus uses better materials than Infiniti and the interiors are simply more polished (like the left section next to the steering wheel with the power mirror controls, that looks like it came out of a 97 Pathfinder).

Not that Infiniti is bad, just that Lexus is better in that dept.

Kinda a blanket statement, considering this isn't the typical Infiniti interior.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

Anyone has a 7th generation Accord like me?

Old 12-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Got a Job!

Originally Posted by bird
Anyone has a 7th generation Accord like me?

dream on, bub
Old 12-21-2004, 06:38 PM
101 years of heartache...

the GS's exterior looks awesome in white and black, as does the RL's. The M looks great in almost any reasonable color. As for interior, all of them have their strong points. Once you get to technology, though, the RL owns all.

So, in my view...

M/GS> RL (exterior)
RL=M=GS (interior)
RL>GS/M (technology)
M>GS/RL (sportiness)
RL/GS>M (luxury)

I love all 3 of these cars, but I wonder who the press will take. Should be an awesome fight.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by heyitsme
Kinda a blanket statement, considering this isn't the typical Infiniti interior.
Not really, just that small disgusting looking section next to the steering wheel tells me not much has changed......its still a Nissan product.

I like Nissans and Infinitis, but most of their new interiors have been on the crappy side (quality wise).
Old 12-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Not really, just that small disgusting looking section next to the steering wheel tells me not much has changed......its still a Nissan product.

I like Nissans and Infinitis, but most of their new interiors have been on the crappy side (quality wise).
I agree to an extent. Until recently, the interiors of both brands remained subpar in comparison to the other cars in there class, but not anymore. The Altima and G35 has recieved new and improved dashes/etc., with better materials, correcting critics' one glaring complaint. The FX's interior was on point from the start, and the M will definitely be the same way.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by titan
The FX's interior was on point from the start, and the M will definitely be the same way.
I'm actually not that impressed with the FXs interior, its ok.....some nice aluminum trim and has a good layout. But I still think the overall feel is not up to Lexus standards imho.

And the upgrades to the G35 is no great shakes.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

I disagree... I think the M45 interior looks nicer than the GS interior. From the pitcures, I believe RL>M45>GS (in interior design).

I'm going to Detroit for the car show and hopefully I'll be able to sit in all 3 (RL, M45, GS) and report back how the material quality feels in all 3.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
I disagree... I think the M45 interior looks nicer than the GS interior. From the pitcures, I believe RL>M45>GS (in interior design).

I'm going to Detroit for the car show and hopefully I'll be able to sit in all 3 (RL, M45, GS) and report back how the material quality feels in all 3.
If the M45 is anything like the FX, the Lexus wins. Not one Infiniti product to date has had the same level of refinement as a Lexus.

I'm not biased, never owned an Infiniti or a Lexus.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Suzuka Master

If the M45 is anything like the FX, the Lexus wins. Not one Infiniti product to date has had the same level of refinement as a Lexus.

My mom has a RX330 and the interior is beautiful. The only company that does interiors better is Audi. My dads A8 has one of the nicest interiors I have ever sat in. Anyone know the MSRP or the GS430 and when it comes out? Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ditto, 100% I'll give GM credit for having the balls of implementing the changes at Caddy (especially the styling/design dept.), which amounted to a do or die situation, for that division's turnaround. But it also has to do with the recoginition that RWD is necessary and performance versions of it's models can only help. Caddy's been the only bright spot. When the said that they would make Buick a viable alternative to Lexus, I was happy as hell. I have alot of fond memories chillin' in the back of my dad's Regal... but coming out with underpowered FWD SUVs (Rendevous) and sad looking Minivans' posing as SUVs (Terrazza) is no way at meeting that goal. Of all the automakers, GM's vast resources should have truly meant a revitalization.

Buick's turnaround has not started yet. It has been going on for 2.5 years on paper only. The first results of that effort will show in the next 1-3 years.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Suzuka Master

I agree that the current Infiniti interiors are inferior to Lexus, but from the looks of it, the M45 is greatly improved. I'll report back from Detroit in a few weeks to give my assessment after actually sitting in each
Old 12-27-2004, 09:45 AM
Burning Brakes

I think the quality of the materials in the Lexus far surpass that of Acura and Infinity combined. Acura uses alot of cheap plastics and one thing I hate seeing in the Acura line-up is the joints of panels. I absolutely hate seeing that. When it comes to luxury Lexus wins hands down. When it comes to features, Acura all the way. Now if Acura had the refinement of Lexus in the interior department and if you were to tag that along to the features the Acura has, Acura would win hands down!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Safety Car

Buick's turnaround has not started yet. It has been going on for 2.5 years on paper only. The first results of that effort will show in the next 1-3 years.
I hope you're write. The sooner the better... and what they truly need is real product blitz like Caddy did. STS,XLR,SRX,STS... all coming to market in rapid succession and all on target (pretty much).
Old 12-27-2004, 10:59 AM
Safety Car

Going to Detroit? Lucky man... have fun.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Going to Detroit? Lucky man... have fun.
It's become an annual guys weekend away event.. 3 friends and I drive from NYC to Detroit through the night, get a few hours rest and then attend the show on Saturday... I'll post pics and my impressions when I get back
Old 12-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Safety Car

It's become an annual guys weekend away event.. 3 friends and I drive from NYC to Detroit through the night, get a few hours rest and then attend the show on Saturday... I'll post pics and my impressions when I get back
Looking forward to it. Have fun.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by importtuner
I think the quality of the materials in the Lexus far surpass that of Acura and Infinity combined. Acura uses alot of cheap plastics and one thing I hate seeing in the Acura line-up is the joints of panels. I absolutely hate seeing that. When it comes to luxury Lexus wins hands down. When it comes to features, Acura all the way. Now if Acura had the refinement of Lexus in the interior department and if you were to tag that along to the features the Acura has, Acura would win hands down!
What joints of panels are you talking about? I don't think Acura uses a lot of cheap plastics...granted, on the RSX the quality of materials could use a revamp, and the older models did cut corners. But I think Acura has realized that in order to be perceived as luxury, it must increase the quality quotient and IMO the newer models (TSX, TL, RL) have all done that. I can't speak for the RL, but I know for a fact that the plastics in the TSX and TL look and feel pretty decent to me.

Maybe you're confusing quality with craftsmanship, as I think that's one area where Acura could also use some improvements. The panel gaps in the center console and glove box in that pic of the RL's interior is what I'm talking about. They just shouldn't be there.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:01 AM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they all look good, but i'll RL's dash and GS's white leather.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chungkopi
they all look good, but i'll RL's dash and GS's white leather.
The white leather is just for the show car... the M show car had a similar awesome white leather and two toned wheel... looks great but won't make it to production; to impractical.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by importtuner
The only Acura using cheap plastics is the RSX. You're exaggerating.

The latest Acuras use absolutely the best materials and have the best git now. They are par with Audi almost. Comparing the TSX with the IS, the TSX wins hands down for example. Lexus is not what it used to be when it comes down to interior quality, fit and finish any more. The new RX330 proves that.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:44 AM

more pics of the 2006 GS 300 (both exterior and interior)..

(some pictures were already posted, but here are the ones not posted yet of the exterior..)

never did i expect this from Toyota. Aggressive, refined design. The interior is great, but it lacks the character (i really don't know how to explain it) the M and RL have. You can see the sportiness of the M and refined luxury of the RL in the interiors. Here, I see an aggressive design, but is it sporty or luxurious? I think it lacks enough wood/aluminum. The dash just looks boring (although if you see all of it in one picture, it looks clean and gorgeous). sorry, i just don't know how to explain it. I don't hate it, I just think the RL and M have nicer interiors. My opinion on these 3 cars changes everyday, so don't worry..
Old 12-29-2004, 11:59 AM

2006 GS INTRODUCTION BROCHURE

(I'm going to post only the better/more informative pictures)

Old 12-29-2004, 12:04 PM

guys, here comes Toyota (in the form of Lexus). They stated they were going to become a true power house and modernize their designs, and they're finally coming through. This is the GS, the IS, LS, and VX are coming soon. When browsing these pics (on clublex) I saw a spy pic of a candy red GS standing next to an RX330-like car (grill only) that look a lot better than what they have right now. Lexus is about to tear up a storm, and Acura and Infiniti are going to be blown away even more. BMW and MB better get ready, because now that Lexus has clearly defeated Acura and Infiniti over the past years (I think we can all agree both are still putting up a fight, and it's working fairly well), they have had their eyes set on the big 2. This is going to be fun.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Safety Car

I like this car the more I see it, even though I still think they played it to safe with the exterior... great car, though.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
never did i expect this from Toyota. Aggressive, refined design. The interior is great, but it lacks the character (i really don't know how to explain it) the M and RL have.
I agree about the "lack of character" in the case of the GS. I remember that was the main reason my wife declined the GS when we were looking 3 years ago and went with the RX.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:54 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I like this car the more I see it, even though I still think they played it to safe with the exterior... great car, though.

Again, this car looks great from up close. It flows real nicely.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

I don't know what car this came from, but wow look at what Toyota's capable of doing:

Old 12-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
So this 3.0L is a new engine?

What happened to the 3.3L?
Old 12-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
I don't know what car this came from, but wow look at what Toyota's capable of doing:

Looks kinda like the next-gen Avalon

The GS looks pretty decent, but I'll wait until it goes on sale and I drive it before I make a judgement on mechanicals.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The new GS is posted on the Japanese Lexus site here:

http://lexus.jp/

It's all flash so click on the models link, then GS, then the rest for photos and specs.

Interestingly, Japan gets the 3.5 liter 6 cylinder engine and it calls it the GS 350.

What's up with the deficient engine we got this time?

Old 12-31-2004, 07:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Source: Autospies
Old 12-31-2004, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Nice...but they need to work a little more oomph into their motors...
Old 12-31-2004, 09:14 PM
goldmemberererer

I can't imagine that their Jap 3.5L puts out anything under 260hp. That's plenty of oomph, I say.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:43 PM
Pinky all stinky

Interestingly, Japan gets the 3.5 liter 6 cylinder engine and it calls it the GS 350.

What's up with the deficient engine we got this time?

I think we're getting the 3.5L too.

Quick Reply: Lexus: GS News