Jaguar: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Jaguar: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Jaguar chided for sexy marketing letter - - - Reuters / May 26, 2004 - - - Source: autonews.com

LONDON -- Luxury automaker Jaguar went too far with a steamy promotional mailing to prospective customers, United Kingdom advertising regulators said Wednesday.

The Valentine's Day letter was signed "Elizabeth Jones" in a version sent to men and "Ian Major" in another sent to women.

It read: "So, what might drive you wild? Could it be the touch of skin on your fingertips? A long, honed body? Firm sensuous curves? A deep, responsive purr? ... I think I have the perfect match for you. I'll send you a photograph next week."

A subsequent mailing contained information on Jaguar's XKR sports car.

Dozens of people who received the letter complained to Britain's Advertising Standards Authority, which ruled that the mailing was "sexually suggestive and, because it did not make clear that it was a marketing communication, was likely to offend or distress some recipients."

Jaguar apologized and agreed not to send similar mailings in the future.

It has been a bumpy week for the automaker's marketing department. On Sunday a $200,000 diamond affixed to the nose of a Jaguar Formula One car as part of a sponsorship deal went missing when the team's rookie driver crashed into a guardrail during the Monaco Grand Prix.

Old 05-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
loosen the fuck up...
Old 05-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Hehehe... From this you can also tell the vast difference of culture across (European) countries. And to think that England is the country that comes the closest to the USA, concerning culture and way of thinking, as compared to any other European coutnry. Imagine what you'll see in other countries...
Old 05-27-2004, 09:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by diori
loosen the fuck up...
I disagree. Prospect Jaguar buyers are probably 58-65 years old. That should not be happening...
Old 05-27-2004, 09:45 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think it was a poor marketing decision by jag, but people still need to get their panties unbunched.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
I think it was a poor marketing decision by jag, but people still need to get their panties unbunched.
Hehehe...
Old 05-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Pro

I agree that the buyers are in the older category, but I would think that Jag owners have a certain level of sophistication and would embrace a risque ad campaign. To me the lines of a Jag are sexy. It is just one of those niche automobiles that cater to the sexy and sophisticated.
I hope when I get into my late 50's, I still feel sexy...I also hope that I can still get it up!!!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Jaguar planning to cut luxury exports to U.S.

Ford's Premier Automotive Group planning to cut luxury exports to U.S. - - - By MARK RECHTIN AND BRADFORD WERNLE | - - Automotive News - - - Source: Autoweek

Ford Motor Co. plans to cut exports of its European luxury vehicles to the United States because of the weak dollar. But U.S. dealers say reduced shipments have less to do with exchange rates than falling demand for some models.

The strong British pound and Swedish kronor are eating into the profits of Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin models sold in North America.

Meanwhile, U.S. dealers are cutting orders for new cars, according to one Jaguar-Land Rover retailer who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Ford's Premier Automotive Group "is looking at their order bank and not seeing any orders," the dealer says. "If no one is ordering cars, why build and ship them? They're getting killed on the (Jaguar) X-Type and (Land Rover) Freelander. With the support they are getting with incentives, it costs more for PAG to bring them over here than what we can make on them."

X-Type and Freelander sales plunged in May in the United States. Jaguar sold 1,802 X-Types in May, down 18.9 percent from the year-ago month. Freelander sales plunged 56.4 percent to 389.

"If you choose between making $10 a car in Europe or $5 in the U.S., it's an easy call," says Sean Coughlin, partner with the New York-based Premier Collection, which sells Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo, Saab, Audi and VW.

Premier's North American sales arm and its dealers say they have not received details of the plan to lower shipments.

A Jaguar Cars North America spokesman says the company is negotiating with PAG headquarters in England about the number of vehicles to be cut, which models will be emphasized and how soon it will happen.

Says Matthew Taylor, managing director of Land Rover in England: "We're sort of balancing off our supply. We're down in sales performance in the U.S. at the moment."

Taylor says customer waiting times for the Freelander average three months in Europe and two months in the United States. "Trying to balance out the (Freelander) supply-and-demand situation has meant shifting more to Europe," he says.

The weak dollar has hurt all European exporters. Since June 2001, the dollar has fallen 30 percent against the British pound, 31 percent against the Swedish kronor and 44 percent against the euro, according to currency tracking service xe.com.

Ford is banking on PAG to generate $500 million in annual profits by mid-decade. But Premier CEO Mark Fields has said exchange rates put that goal in jeopardy.

A PAG spokesman in London last week said the luxury-car group won't restrict U.S. demand, but it won't oversupply the United States.

"We have the flexibility to take advantage of any opportunities that come in Europe," the spokesman said. "It's another way of hedging on the exchange rate."

A Volvo spokesman in Gothenburg, Sweden, says there are no plans to cut the number of vehicles being shipped to the United States.

The X-Type is down 7.2 percent for the year in the United States and Freelander is off 27.1 percent.

Through May, Jaguar's overall U.S. sales were up 1.6% compared to 2003, Land Rover is down 9.7 percent and Volvo sales are up 3.3 percent. But in May Jaguar was off 7.9 percent, Land Rover fell 25.0 percent, and Volvo was down 9.9 percent. The overall U.S. car and light-truck market rose 3.4 percent in May compared to the year-ago month.

Jaguar had a 94-day supply of vehicles and Land Rover had an 85-day supply as of May 1. Volvo had a 57-day supply as of June 1, up from 32 days on June 1, 2003. A 60-day supply is considered optimal.

Dealers "keep ordering their three Jaguars a month in British Racing Green, because they know they can sell those," says the Jaguar-Land Rover dealer. "But they are whittling back. The dealers have more than enough cars right now."

PAG's British brands' break-even point was $1.55 to the pound, far below the current $1.83 exchange rate, the dealer says. And with interest rates on the rise, American dealers can't afford more cars in their inventory.

Nigel Griffiths, analyst for Global Insight Automotive in London, says Ford might not have hedged sufficiently for its premium products.

"There's nothing being shipped in the opposite direction to counteract the currency, which is all in one direction," Griffiths says. "It's very much a European exposure."

Old 06-07-2004, 08:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

That's just sad. I dont understand why the X-Type has such difficulty selling...even moderately.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Pit Stop?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hardly ever see Jaguars........

I really think they have a nice understated style. I like them.....but even though I say that, if I suddenly was able to buy a luxury car in that price range, a Jaguar would be fairly low on the list.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
That's just sad. I dont understand why the X-Type has such difficulty selling...even moderately.
I just don't think it's a good car. It's exceptionally tiny inside. It make the 3-Series feel like a Buick Roadmaster. It's just not good enough to justify their prices, even with the discounts.

Ford priced the car in such a way at launch that it turned a lot of people off to it. With cars like the 3er, the C230k, the TL, IS/ES, and G35 all competing in the same class it's not surprising the X-Type falls so far behind. There's nothing exceptional about the Jag.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:41 AM
The hair says it all

i see tons of jag's where i live, but the x-type is a piece of crap. one of the kids at my school has it so i ride in it all the time. the interior is classy, but other then that, its really lacking
Old 06-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
x type looks like a ford taurus
Old 06-08-2004, 05:17 PM
__

the x-type is a gorgeus car...it's a shame it's not selling (I see them on the road frequently tho)
Old 03-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Jaguar May Get $935 Million

Jaguar May Get $935 Million - - Source: The Car Connection

Ford could be ready to inject another $935 million in its Jaguar unit as the British brand tries to push itself into the black. Reports from the Sunday Times of London indicate Ford will put the money into the carmaker despite a loss of $1.1 billion in 2003. The paper's source inside Jaguar says that the timing and method of recapitalizing Jaguar has yet to be decided. The paper also reiterates reports that Jaguar is now considering the assembly of vehicles in theU.S. to take advantage of currency differences. Ford officials have denied such a plan exists.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Safety Car

Do what you gotta do, Ford. Let's not keep doing the retro thing...
Old 03-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I bet the reason Ford decided to pull out the wallet is due to the fact that people and press liked what they saw with the Advanced Lightweight concept we saw from Jag.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

^ Probably. Hell, the XJ is a great sedan. The lightweight aluminum frame and solid powertrain is lost in a car that is brand new but looks like it wouldn't be out of place a Jag lineup from 20 years ago. They need to creat a new styling direction while keeping the essence of what Jag is in the details.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:25 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Only if Jaguar has learnt from the X-type flop, and won't take short cuts again.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Jaguar slicing production in order to cut inventory, incentives

Jaguar slicing production in order to cut inventory, incentives, especially in U.S. - - By WIM OUDE WEERNINK | Automotive News Europe - - Source: Autoweek

BARCELONA, Spain -- Jaguar has cut production so it can reduce incentives, particularly in the United States.

"We want profitable sales and have moved away from incentive-driven strategies," Joe Greenwell, CEO of Jaguar-Land Rover told the Automotive News Europe Congress this month.

Jaguar production dropped 22.8 percent to 27,139 units in the first quarter compared with the year-ago period. Greenwell said thinning its stock of unsold cars will allow the British brand to move away from discounting.

Jaguar has abandoned its goal of making 200,000 cars a year. Last year it produced 118,000 cars. Greenwell declined to reveal 2005 volume, saying only that it would be substantially less than in 2004.

Greenwell said the first-quarter drop in production is in line with Jaguar's recovery plan, which includes the closing of its Browns Lane assembly plant in Coventry, England. The plant will stop production in September.

Jaguar, which is part of Ford Motor Co.'s Premier Automotive Group, has lost an estimated $1.5 billion in the past three years.

"It is our mission to remove the burden, but it is not a quick fix," Greenwell said. "I don't expect Jaguar to break even before 2007."

Old 05-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Makes sense. But at least they recognize "they are in trouble". Unilke GM or its subsidiaries (excluding Caddy when they were in trouble).
Old 05-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Smart move. And while they're at they should cut the X-type or at least redesign it.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The XJ is selling fine, its the crappy X-Type and their dated S-Type and XK that need to be replaced asap.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Racer

Jag needs to go upmarket and let the entry level stuff go. Jag is about to lose, if not already lost its prestige and brand. GO UPMARKET!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Dealers Worry about Jaguar’s Future

Dealers Worry about Jaguar’s Future - - By JASON STEIN | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE - - Source: Autoweek

Jaguar dealers across Europe want the British automaker to stay in North American or European hands if parent Ford Motor decides to sell the brand.

Some dealers said they would prefer Renault-Nissan if they were aksed to pick a future partner. Many fear the possibility of Jaguar being bought by a Chinese manufacturer, even though no Chinese party officially has expressed an interest in the company.

“I am scared to death of seeing Jaguar end up in Chinese hands,” said Franco Santi, a Jaguar and Aston Martin dealer in Rome since 1967.

Last year Santi sold 400 new Jaguars. He sold 500 in his best years.

“Renault looks to be the best potential deal,” he said.

Wolfgang Wienbrügge, a store manager at Jaguar Kreuzer in Saarbrücken, Germany, said he wants Jaguar to stay in the Ford family.

“We’d prefer to stay with Ford rather than being sold to some private investors or a Chinese carmaker,” he said. “If that happens, it would be even harder to communicate the ‘premium’ spirit.”

Last Thursday, Ford said it is considering selling all or part of its Aston Martin British luxury sports car brand as part of a strategic review of its business. The review has created speculation that Ford also may sell its Jaguar and Land Rover brands, which, like Aston Martin, are part of Ford’s Premier Automotive Group.

PAG reported a pre-tax loss of $162 million (about €126 million) for the second quarter, compared with a pre-tax profit of $17 million for the same period last year.

A private equity group has had preliminary discussions with Ford about the possible sale of the automaker’s European brands, media reports say. Former Ford CEO Jacques Nasser is a partner in that company.

British construction machinery group JCB said last month that it is interested in acquiring Jaguar, but only if it is split from Land Rover.

Jaguar dealers told Automotive News Europe that the rumors hurt business.

“Every distraction has negative effects on the image and that means negative effects for the dealers,” said Manfred Hauswirth, spokesman for the German Jaguar Dealer Association.

Robert Macnab, a research director at Trendtracker, a UK-based auto analysis firm that covers retail and dealer issues, agrees that the sale speculation is bad for Jaguar.

“The retail and consumer side has not been particularly affected, but there may have been some impact on dealer morale,” Macnab said.

Hauswirth said Jaguar dealers are worried about what would motivate a potential Jaguar buyer.

“It would pose a threat to the brand when someone buys Jaguar only for strategic reasons, then only to have the brand sell [a Chinese brand such as] Landwind,” Hauswirth said. “We need a buyer who wants to keep Jaguar as a premium brand.”

Jaguar has cost Ford in excess of $10 billion since it acquired the brand in 1989. It’s still not profitable and it continues to restructure.

Dealers are preparing for change.

Said dealer Wienbrügge: “I’ve already tried to book a Chinese language course.”

Luca Ciferri, Matthias Karpstein, Tony Lewin, Sylviane de Saint-Seine contributed
Old 09-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Drifting

where are they getting the chinese buy-out talks?

were there unofficial interest from chinese manufacturers?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

^ I think they're just scared because it's even a remote possiblilty. They want whoever buys the brand to keep it's integrity intact. If I had an equity firm, I'd be interested in an LBO. It's every rare that one can put their hands on an established auto brand, let alone one with Jag's rich history.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Safety Car

Ford has no one to blame for Jag's lack of performance but themselves. They should have created a new styling direction years ago too.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
typical american company, instead of focus on making your product the best it can be, just sell it off to the highest bidder for some quick cash......
Old 09-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
typical american company, instead of focus on making your product the best it can be, just sell it off to the highest bidder for some quick cash......
Well, that is better than the alternative.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Did some merging to clean up the various sales, marketing, and financial threads for Jaguar (not much).

Here's a bump for the Superbowl ads Jaguar is going to run...
Old 01-19-2014, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

I would very much like a F-Type Coupe R ... Anyone have $102K lying around?

Last edited by charliemike; 01-19-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator

This is amusing...but, hey...love it!

From here: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...oad-of-hot-air

Jaguar is reinventing itself in the U.S. Always carrying a slightly caddish, dastardly image, the British automaker's Good To Be Bad campaign is now spilling into its interactions with other automakers.

First there was the sly shot at Mercedes-Benz and its Active Ride Control. Now, it's taken a pop at Maserati and its Ghibli sedan. Spotted by Top Speed, the opening salvo was fired on the firm's Twitter feed, when it stated, "Did you know that #ghibli means hot air? Seems appropriate", before copying Maserati's feed into the tweet and ending with the now-familiar #GoodToBeBad hashtag. Never has the term "meow" been more appropriate a response...

Maserati's long-held Ghibli name is indeed hot air, more specifically a hot, dust-carrying desert wind in North Africa. It remains to be seen how Maserati will reply--though Mercedes took Jaguar's shots in good humor, hinting that cats aren't quite as responsive as Jaguar might like to think in a follow-up advert. Of course, Maserati may not care--following its Super Bowl campaign, Kelly Blue Book revealed that the company's online interest rose 700 percent--next to Jaguar's 224 percent.

Given Jaguar's alphabetic naming scheme, Maserati will have to work a little harder to rip on Jaguar's products. What would you come up with?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:43 AM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
Saw my first F-type IRL yesterday. Why doesn't Jag sell more cars? They basically make everything everyone wants Acura to make but they only move about 2k a month.

Last edited by MTEAZY; 02-05-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:17 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by MTEAZY
Saw my first F-type IRL yesterday. Why doesn't Jag sell more cars? They basically make everything everyone wants Acura to make but they only move about 2k a month.
Because the British generally do not have the ability to comprehend electricity and the effects of wear on metal.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MTEAZY
Probably stems from a few things: It's now owned by an Indian company, and before that by Ford; and its horrible reputation for reliability. I think Jaguar is making some nice-looking and performing cars, but it has a hump to overcome. I think the Super Bowl ad is clever.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Cool Huge Classic Collection Purchased from Collector

Wow...

Most of us wish we had the money and space for a huge collection of classic and vintage cars, but if you're a major automaker such a collection is much easier to amass. Easier still if, like Jaguar Land Rover, you buy someone else's existing collection of 543 vehicles. Said vehicles belonged to British enthusiast James Hull, but the vast reserve of vehicles, including dozens of rare Jaguar models, is now in the hands of the automaker itself. Prior to the sale, Hull's collection was believed to be the biggest privately-owned roster of classic British cars anywhere in the world.

The list of vehicles is enormous. Among those mentioned, the new acquisition includes everything from early Swallow Sidecars and Swallow coachbuilt Austin Sevens, pre-war SS models, seven XK 120 sports cars (one of which is a rare alloy-bodied example), C-types, D-types, an XKSS, eight E-types, thirty classic Jaguar ‘Mark’-denoted sedans, and a trifling nineteen XJS models and over twenty XJ saloons. If the latter two sound a little unspectacular, it should be noted that many had famous owners in a previous life.

Jaguar Land Rover says the new collection will be "actively used to support brand and experiential marketing", and are sure to play a part in Jaguar's increasing focus on its heritage—so expect to see appearances by some of the cars at events like the Mille Miglia or Goodwood Festival of Speed. The cars will be absorbed into Jaguar Heritage, a branch of Special Operations—the brains behind the Jaguar Project 7 sports car.

Special Operations won't just work on brand new vehicles like the Project 7, but has also been tasked with building and re-building iconic classics, like the run of six, 1963 Lightweight E-Type racers. The attention to detail and engineering is such that the new cars will be separated by time alone from the originals--delayed production models, rather than recreations.

Discretion prevents Jaguar from revealing just how much it paid for the Hull collection, but James Hull himself is confident it's now in "safe hands". "Travelling all over the world to build the collection over the years has been a labor of love and a life’s work, so my primary motivation was not to get the maximum price but rather to secure the future of the collection in this country with the right custodian," he said.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...sic-collection

Old 10-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Senior Moderator

This is cool. Very cool.

From here: Jaguar Lets Fans Drive Its Heritage Collection (Page 2)

It’s no secret that owning classic cars is more popular than ever but unfortunately this has pushed up prices, in some cases to astronomical levels. But you don’t have to be a multimillionaire to experience some of the best classics, even extremely rare ones, as Jaguar is offering its fans the opportunity to drive some of its oldest models through its new Jaguar Heritage Driving Experience program.

MUST SEE: Nissan GT-R Driver Gives Best-Ever Bad Driving Lesson: Video

The program launches next month and will be based at the Fen End test facility near Jaguar’s West Midlands headquarters in the U.K. Many of the vehicles in the collection will be driven by members of the public for the very first time, having been prepped for action following Jaguar’s recent purchase of over 500 classics from enthusiast James Hull. Among the cars are Le Mans-racing Jaguar D-Types, a number of E-Types and new models like the F-Type.

A variety of experiences will be available, from one-hour drives to half-day Le Mans race-themed events. Jaguar says some events will even include recognizable faces from the world of motorsport. Pricing starts at just £95 (approximately $152) rising to £2,000 ($3,215) for a full day of driving and hospitality services.

DON'T MISS: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro Spy Video

The first people to sign up for the Jaguar Heritage Driving Experience program will also be invited to a guided viewing of the ‘Perfect Ten’ exhibition. This is a list of the 10 best classic Jags picked by some of the brand’s most notable fans, including Jaguar design chief Ian Callum; Lord March, host of the Goodwood Festival of Speed; and AC/DC front man Brian Johnson.

The Perfect 10

1) SS100: Jaguar’s first 100 mph production car.

2) XK120, registration NUB 120: Perhaps the most famous XK120 in the world. Driven by Ian Appleyard and Pat Lyons (daughter of Jaguar founder Sir William Lyons) to numerous rally wins in the 1950s, including the Alpine Rallye des Alpes in 1950 and 1951.

3) C-Type, registration NDU 289: Original entry in the 1953 Mille Miglia, and one of just 54 cars built.

4) D-Type, registration 393 RW: This penultimate D-Type won the 12 hours race at Reims driven, by Hamilton and Bueb, and was sixth at Le Mans with the same driver pairing.

5) Mark 2: A great example of the legendary sporting sedan for which Jaguar has become globally renowned, and the genesis of the brand-new XE.

6) E-Type, registration 77 RW: The Jaguar ‘Works’ press car, famously driven overnight by Norman Dewis from the U.K. to Geneva for its auto show debut to great fanfare. This was the first production Jaguar to reach 150 mph, and is the earliest surviving E-Type Roadster.

7) XJ13: Only one example of this car was built, being the first Jaguar to use the V-12 engine. The XJ13 was built for—but never raced at—Le Mans, and was designed by Malcolm Sayer.

8) XJ6 S1: Car of the Year when launched in 1968, this particular XJ6 was Sir William Lyons’ personal car.

9) TWR XJS: Tom Walkinshaw was very successful in motorsport for Jaguar in the 1980s and returned Jaguar to the podium with the racing version of the legendary XJS winning the European Touring Car Championship.

10) XJR-9: Tom Walkinshaw won Le Mans in 1988 with this very car, in one of Jaguar’s seven victories in the famous endurance race.

Quick Reply: Jaguar: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News