Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 10:50 AM
Ex-OEM King

Received 6,097 Likes on 4,001 Posts
kewl so they'll sell a few hundred.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:39 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,382 Likes on 4,069 Posts
Don't forget about the badge whores. Why buy a lowly...fill in the blank...when I can buy an ACURA!
Old 05-06-2022, 12:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,433 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Old 05-06-2022, 12:39 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,382 Likes on 4,069 Posts
Definitely an impressive car.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:46 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by pttl
Don't forget about the badge whores. Why buy a lowly...fill in the blank...when I can buy an ACURA!
Badge whores? They're driving right by the Acura dealership to the BMW or Benz one. Audi at the minimum.

GMC/Caddy if they are in redneckville.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDoe1
Badge whores? They're driving right by the Acura dealership to the BMW or Benz one. Audi at the minimum.

GMC/Caddy if they are in redneckville.
And they will borrow(lease), because they lack the know-how and money to maintain thier BMW, Benz, Audi, Caddy.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:08 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Acura TL Racer
And they will borrow(lease), because they lack the know-how and money to maintain thier BMW, Benz, Audi, Caddy.
Someone buying a new any of those isn't maintaining it themselves so the know how is irrelevant. Also BMW and Benz cover service for the warranty period. What up?
Old 10-03-2022, 02:53 PM

Received 5,485 Likes on 3,744 Posts
https://www.motor1.com/news/614016/c...-exhaust-loud/

Like many new vehicles, the 2022 Hyundai Elantra N offers several different drive modes. One of them is N mode which, among other things, makes the turbocharged 2.0-liter engine sound a bit more lively. Apparently, it's too lively for a California police officer and officials at a state testing facility. Now, the owner can't drive his Elantra N until the problem is fixed, but since it's new and allegedly stock, there's nothing to fix.

The situation is explained both in a Reddit post and a video shared by the ENtense YouTube channel. In short, this driver was pulled over by a California motor officer due to backfiring noises coming from the car, a 2022 Hyundai Elantra N. The driver explained the car was stock and offered to pop the hood, but the officer declined. Instead, he told the driver his registration would be suspended and a state rep would send him "back to the dealer; the dealer has to remove the track options, you have to pay for it, it's about $4,000."

Later in the conversation, the officer bumps that figure to $7,000. It's unknown how the officer arrived at these numbers, but he then advised the driver that he could sue the dealer for the money, saying dealership representatives should tell the driver that driving in track mode isn't allowed and he could "get your $4,000, $5,000 back." The registration was suspended on the spot, and according to the video, the officer tried to suspend the driver's license as well. Apparently, that was countermanded by state officials as not being allowed.

But wait, there's more.

The owner of this Elantra N took the car to an inspection station, and was allegedly told it had to be tested in the vehicle's loudest mode. In this instance, it was tested in Sport mode and still failed the sound test, at which point the owner was told to take it back to the dealership and have it returned to stock ... which it already was.

The dealership confirmed as much, but since no work was done, the Elantra N can't be tested again. And since it can't be tested, it can't be driven. The video and Reddit thread suggests the inspection station conducted the test incorrectly, forcing the car into a louder mode instead of its default setting.

This isn't the first time we've seen bizarre situations regarding vehicle noise levels in California. In 2021, Porsche was forced to stop selling manual-transmission versions of the 911 GT3 because it was too loud, but the same car with the PDK gearbox was fine. That situation was ultimately resolved rather quickly, but in this instance, it's been several weeks and as far as we know, the Elantra N is still sidelined.

We've contacted Hyundai seeking comment on the situation, as we've heard nothing about new Elantra N sales being barred in California. Presumably, if Hyundai is allowed to sell the car there, it must pass existing state regulations.
@SuperTrooper169
Old 10-05-2022, 08:52 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,097 Posts
I saw this on Reddit and have been following it hoping for an update. It's a crazy story. Thank goodness I live in Tennessee where they DGAF. We don't even have emission testing anymore.
Old 10-05-2022, 09:33 AM

Yeah, that's a crazy story & that it's stuck in limbo.
Weird that the officer tossed out random figures on what it would cost to 'fix'
Old 10-05-2022, 11:26 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Yeah that cop was a complete dick. I'm pro-LEO but that guy was on a major power trip and was just trying to intimidate the EN owner. He completely forgot his de-escalation training.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:33 AM

https://www.thedrive.com/news/owner-...i-isnt-helping

Last week, we reported on the story of a bone stock Hyundai Elantra N failing inspection in California. The failure was the result of a fix-it ticket issued by a police officer. After being pulled over, the owner was told the car was too loud. It had to be fixed and re-inspected and its registration was suspended until that was done. Fast forward to the inspection date and the state inspector said that, in sport mode, the car still made too much noise. Now the owner, who has been posting updates to his situation on Reddit, has run out of options and plans to sell the vehicle.

For its part, Hyundai says it has tried to help. In a statement to The Drive, a representative for the automaker said that it is aware of the problem and is working with the Elantra N owner to make it right. That's not what's going on according to the Reddit posts, though. Under the username OkCandidate103, the owner has stated Hyundai is "not taking this seriously." According to him, "nothing has been done besides tossing my case around person to person." The video below reportedly contains a dashcam recording of the traffic stop where the owner's registration was suspended.

The troubling part of this is that a stock Hyundai Elantra N should, of course, pass any state inspection. The test must be done in the vehicle's default normal drive mode, however, which was allegedly not done in the case of the California test, despite this being explicitly specified in the relevant standard, SAE J1492. Any mode that "can remain enabled through a power on/off cycle," can be used for the test. The Elantra N cannot be started in sport or "N" mode, its loudest setting.

The resulting failed test has put the owner in a very California sort of predicament. He can re-test his vehicle, sure, but he needs to offer proof that it has been repaired. The vehicle has not been modified, though, so he cannot prove it was fixed because nothing has changed. After allegedly speaking with attorneys, the owner seems to wisely be avoiding the labyrinthical workings of the Golden State's government. He wants to just appeal the initial ticket he got and ditch the car. "I will most likely end up selling the car to Carvana at a huge loss just to get this case over with," he writes in the Reddit post.

We have reached out to the owner for further comment, but we have yet to hear back as of publishing. We also reached out to Hyundai and haven't yet heard back. As some have pointed out, it's likely possible to fight the inspection judgment seeing as the test was allegedly performed wrong. That can be a very long and troublesome process, though. Selling the car to somebody like Carvana is likely an easier way to put a quick end to the whole situation, and the loss may not be as steep as the owner assumes.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:34 AM

Couldn't the dealer do an invoice for reflashing the ECU (which would do nothing) and then he'd have a 'repair' & be able to re-test?
Old 10-14-2022, 08:38 AM
In the Mid-South meow

You'd think, but what I'm finding out recently (but already kind of knew) is Hyundai dealerships are doing very little if nothing to help with warranty claims. Between this, the issue with using the incorrect weight oil, and now a story from a Hyundai tech that had his engine blow and his own employeer won't replace it under warranty, I'm really hesitant to keep this car past a year or two.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:41 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Oh and I forgot to mention an open recall on the 8 speed DCT that affects a little over 1,000 Elantra Ns but a ton of other Hyundai vehicles using the same transmission.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:44 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Here's the story from the Hyundai tech and admin on the Elantra N group I'm in...

Well guys the time has come for me to let everyone know what has been going on and why I’ve been silent in the group so here it goes
3 weeks ago I was driving my N around 40 mph the car began to bog down while I was accelerating, so like anyone I hit the accelerator harder to keep from being run over .
Well the car slowed down even more and the rpm’s went sky high per the ecu data over 8k (which isn’t possible as the ecm had a 6720 rev limit)
the oil light came on and the check engine light started to flash . And the engine had a audible knock , I have the car towed to my dealership and do all the paperwork for the engine replacement . I call Hyundai tech line for the , what do you want me to do
During the diagnosis we find it also has a turbo over post code . Tech line gets all the stored ecm data sent to them and they tell me to replace the turbo and engine assemblies. I put in the online paperwork through Hyundai and …..Hyundai Motor America
Declined my engine at 18100 miles due to out of warranty issues from the car being revved to the 8350 rpm . I’ve been in the work with talking to hyundai CA which is useless and Hyundai tech line who says there should be no reason it was declined . Again 18100 miles on a car with a 10/100 warranty and being a tech I figured I’d be taken care of as I have all service records as well , but after 3 failed attempts Hyundai will not help take care of this issue so everyone please take notes with this . If you use the car as they say you can they will NOT warranty the powertrain. I’m stuck with the engine bill . Which isn’t horrible and the fact is a could do it myself anyway . This is a 13k$ bill for a customer to swallow if they had to . So the new engine is now in the car and it will be sold here soon .. this isn’t goodbye but I’ll have a brand new build by years end and yes it’s another N .
I talked to a lawyer friend who said it’s cheaper to just pay for the engine . As if I go to court and lose I’d have to pay him and still buy the engine . So I’ll take the small hit and deal
Old 10-14-2022, 08:53 AM

Man, that all sucks to read.
$13k for an engine replacement, making @ttribe M5 engine seem like more of a bargain.
The following users liked this post:
ttribe (10-14-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 10:09 AM

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/12/el...stock-exhaust/

Not long ago we told you about how a police officer chided and then ticketed a driver for his loud exhaust. While that might sound pretty normal for California, what makes it strange is that the car in question is a stock Hyundai Elantra N sedan. Now, the driver is back with an update and things still aren’t settled.

A user who goes by the name OkCandidate103 on Reddit posted a video on YouTube (where he goes by Cosmo) of the police interaction. The officer tells the Hyundai driver that he’s been pulled over for a loud exhaust. Once the Hyundai driver says that it’s stock, the Police officer rips into him and ultimately says that “you’re about to spend $7,000 on this car right now.”

Since then, we’ve only seen very brief updates from time to time and it seemed that things between the driver, the state of California, and Hyundai were at a stalemate. Now, we’re getting new details from the driver stating that the Korean automaker has stepped in to provide more assistance in various ways.

According to Ok, after the last update “a new Hyundai manager reached out to me and set up a date to have my vehicle picked up for testing at HATCI (Hyundai America Technical Center Inc). They set me up in a hybrid loaner and I am still currently driving the loaner vehicle.” So this situation is taking multiple months all while the owner continues to make payments on the car.

For its part, Hyundai seems to be going toe to toe with the Californian government over the issue. According to the owner, “Hyundai have confirmed a few weeks ago that there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. I assume that they will be holding on to the EN and I will be driving their loaner until the citation and state ref is cleared.”

On top of that, Hyundai has given him a $500 payment as compensation for the trouble and he’s hired a lawyer for his February 23rd court date. Here’s to hoping that it gets thrown out long before then. The owner plans to provide an update with the results of the case when they take place.
Old 12-16-2022, 04:40 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,446 Posts
That's bullshit, I'm quite certain stock AMGs are louder than that 😒, I don't see cops pulling them over for the exhaust
Old 12-17-2022, 07:10 AM
In the Mid-South meow

I think in this situation it was just a perfect storm of events that led to the sh*t show it’s become. It’s a young kid who gunned it in N mode under a bridge with a cop sitting near by who was on a serious power trip and a testing operator who either had it out to make this kids life a living nightmare or really didn’t understand the process for testing the car in the default mode the car starts in, which is Normal mode with the exhaust valve closed. Add in Hyundai, who’s either too busy with their recalls and warranty issues or just too big of a global corporation now that the kid got left in the weeds to figure it out himself.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:12 AM

https://jalopnik.com/the-hyundai-ela...fix-1850163581

The Hyundai Elantra is a good compact sedan, albeit not one without its faults. The big one is pretty obvious to anyone who’s ever encountered the car in traffic: that gaping, vexing maw that attempts to set a record for how many incongruous shapes can be smushed together in the smallest number of square inches. It’s the worst on the Elantra N, because of that unwritten rule that all fast versions of cars have to be the most annoying. Fortunately, relief for our eyes appears to be on the horizon. Hyundai has just unveiled a facelift for South Korea’s version of the sedan, which is called the Avante.

The Avante is getting a new mug for the 2024 model year, and it likely previews similar treatment waiting in the wings for our Elantra. We reached out to Hyundai North America PR to confirm that, who told us that “specifics on the U.S. model will be coming later.” Until then, let’s study the Elantra of the not-too-distant future.
Compared to the outgoing model seen above, the facelifted grille is flatter with a body color bar bisecting the upper and lower portions for a wider, leaner look. A translated press release confirms “wider” was indeed Hyundai’s aim, and though the result isn’t perfect to my eye, it’s certainly an improvement that leaves the Elantra looking a little more upscale, almost Volkswagen-esque. There’s no telling what the redesign will portend for the N version just yet, but reducing the expanse of matte black that blankets the bumper would be a good start.
Facelift left, current right

Old 03-07-2023, 04:12 PM
In the Mid-South meow

While I think it looks cleaner, its pretty generic looking and loses some of the character IMO. The Elantra N especially gets a lot of hate because of the black front end, but it sets it apart and makes it instantly recognizable, which I like. But it's definitely not a look for everyone.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:08 PM

https://www.netcarshow.com/hyundai/2024-elantra/

Hyundai launched the improved 2024 Elantra compact sedan for the North American market during a YouTube news conference. Simon Loasby, influential designer and head of the Hyundai Style Group at Hyundai Motor Company, walked viewers through the design upgrades. José Muñoz, president and Global COO of Hyundai Motor Company and president and CEO of Hyundai Motor North America elaborated on the resurgence of consumer interest in sedans. Hyundai has a strong history of regularly updating its Elantra lineup and exceeding customer expectations. The 2024 Elantra goes on sale in fall 2023.
  • Elantra Exterior Enhancements
    • New front and rear fascias
      • Thinner LED daytime running lights with a metallic bar connecting them
      • New two-piece grille with body-colored center element
      • New flat stainless steel Hyundai emblem
      • Rear diffuser with a wide U-shaped silver element
    • New front fenders
    • New 15,16, 17, and 18-inch alloy wheel designs
    • C-pillar trim features Parametric Dynamics design theme
    • New color choices:
      • Ecotronic Gray (New, available on SE, SEL, SEL Convenience, Limited, N-Line, HEV, N)
      • Ultimate Red (New, available on SE, SEL, SEL Convenience, Limited, N-Line, HEV, N, New color added for N model)
      • Exotic Green (New, available on N-Line only)
      • Amazon Gray (New, available on SE, SEL, SEL Convenience, Limited, N-Line, HEV)
  • 2024 Elantra Safety
    • New rear side airbags (standard all trims)
    • New rear seat belt reminder (standard all trims)
    • Steering wheel haptic feedback (standard all trims) added to:
      • Lane Keeping Assist
      • Blind-Spot Collision-Warning
      • Rear Cross-Traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist
  • 2024 Elantra Interior Enhancements
    • New soft-touch front door panels
    • New color choices
    • New H-Tex leather seating surfaces on Limited trims
    • New 4.2-inch instrument cluster design
    • Two rear seat USB-C outlets added
    • One front seat USB-C outlet added
    • Redesigned wireless charging pad
  • 2024 Elantra Technology Enhancements
    • Surround View Monitor, Blind-Spot View Monitor, and Parking Distance Warning - Forward & Reverse standard on Limited trim
    • Digital Key 2 (compatible with iPhone and Android)
    • Vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot
    • Bluelink+ Connected Car technology
    • Six standard audio speakers
    • Bose Premium Audio with eight speakers now standard on Limited and N-Line trims
    • 10.25-inch infotainment system now standard on SEL trims and above
  • 2024 Elantra N New Unique Exterior and Interior Features
    • Front grille and fascia
    • Side sills
    • 19-inch forged alloy wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires
    • Rear wing spoiler
    • Rear fascia with diffuser
    • Dual exhaust
    • Steering wheel and shift knob
    • Instrument cluster and infotainment systems
    • N light sport bucket seats with illuminated logo
  • 2024 Elantra N Ride and Handling Enhancements
    • Engine mount membrane reinforced to improve after shake and agility
    • G bushing reinforcement for yaw response and steering precision
    • Rear Suspension/ABS insulator change from rubber to urethane on rear support for improved damping and yaw response
    • ECS hardware improved for enhancement of body control
    • ECS software optimized for hardware change
    • Steering gear box yoke spec changed for improved steering connection and precision
    • Steering universal joint friction reduction for improved steering precision
    • Motor Driven Power Steering software optimized for chassis and steering changes
    • Tire pressure increase - Front 36 / rear 34 psi (current 35/33) to optimize front axle load increase while maintaining front to rear ride and handling balance
Powertrains That Deliver Performance and Fuel Efficiency

The lineup includes a gasoline-powered 2.0L engine, 2.0L turbo engine, 1.6L turbo engine, and 1.6L hybrid electric (HEV). The 2.0L turbo was developed especially for the N.