Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
"Sleek New Look"

Gotta love marketing.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM
B A N N E D

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

...Feature upgrades on the Pilot EX-L include the addition of a full-color 8-inch intelligent Multi-Information Display (i-MID) for audio and vehicle information. Models equipped with the available Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System for 2012 receive subscription-free FM Traffic, 15 GB audio hard disk drive memory (HDD), and a higher-resolution display...
The EX-L gets some good upgrades. The i-MID is a nice addition. I'm not interested in a factory nav, so the MID with camera is a great alternative.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
...yeah, about as sleek as an old Volvo 240!! With Acura practically giving away new MDXs (which is how I wound up with one), I'd be hard pressed to get a Pilot.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
last place in a 3-way shoot out in C&D

Ouch. the kicker? the las

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD - Comparison Tests
Third place: Too Cool for School.

The first line of the first page of the Honda’s logbook reads, “Much noisier than I remember.” We’ve had a lot of Pilot experience, including a 40,000-mile long-term test, but we could not recall any of those Pilots exhibiting as much wind, tire, and engine thrum as this one. The aural assault didn’t show up on the sound-level meter, where the Honda scored 71 decibels, same as the Dodge and the Ford. But on the road, any pavement break or imperfection generates a slapping whack from the tires. On the highway, the engine protests as the transmission shifts between fifth and fourth gears in an attempt to force the refrigerator-shaped Pilot through the air. The atmosphere objects to the abuse and makes its discontent known as wind noise around the Pilot’s upright A-pillars.

Aside from a surprising skidpad figure of 0.81 g and controllable handling at the limit, we didn’t find much about the Pilot’s dynamics to compliment. A soft and underdamped suspension gives the truck a cumbersome mien that says, “Don’t rush me. I’m really just a minivan with off-road pretensions.”  The body rocks back and forth under braking and acceleration. Whereas the Durango and Explorer cruise down the road, the Pilot seems to lumber.

“Lacks refinement and really shows its age when driven back-to-back with the new competition,” wrote technical editor K.C. Colwell. But the Honda can still claim a few wins. Supportive seats that adjust to a comfortable position face an upright dashboard and windshield. Huge panes of glass and relatively small roof pillars make the Pilot easy to park and place on the road. While the Dodge and the Ford attempt to mimic sports-car interiors, the Pilot makes no such effort. Like a minivan, the Pilot trades in space rather than style.

Despite being the shortest of the trio by 6.2 inches, the Honda boasts nearly moving-van levels of interior volume. The Pilot has the most passenger room in each of  its three rows and scored highest for comfort. And its low floor and tall roof are able to swallow the most beer cases, ensuring comfort once you reach your destination.

Unlike the Explorer and the Durango, the Pilot’s second-row bench slides fore and aft to provide more legroom for the third row, at the expense of second-row occupants’ knees. Of the three SUVs, two adults would be happiest in the Pilot’s third row. Unlike the Ford and the Dodge, which sport only two belts, the Honda has three. A trio of adults wedged back there would find the experience highly unpleasant, though, and getting there is a challenge due to a second row that only slides—the middle seats of the Dodge and the Ford both fold and flip forward, providing wider access.

Still, the Pilot proved to be the minivan of this group. If your priority is interior space but you can’t bring yourself to drive something with sliding doors, then the Pilot will not embarrass you at kid-pickup time. For a superior-driving SUV, read on.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by phile

And I can pull up a comparison of the OLDER 2011 Pilot where it beat the Explorer. So your point is?
Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Invisible
And I can pull up a comparison of the OLDER 2011 Pilot where it beat the Explorer. So your point is?
Point is is in the recent comparo it came in 3rd
Old 09-01-2011, 02:41 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

The new Explorer? Link Please.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by dom
The new Explorer? Link Please.
Sure.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Explorer was ranked 6th out of 6.

We didn't like driving the Explorer very much. "Holy torque steer, Batman!" shrieked executive editor Edward Loh. "Why is this AWD beast pulling under wide-open throttle?" Because more so than any other vehicle here, the Explorer is primarily FWD, with power routed to the rear tires only when the fronts lose traction. Hence, massive, freaky, comical torque steer. The big Ford also rode worse than much of the competition. Says Williams, "The chassis needs some refinement to give it the level of sophistication and playfulness most of the others deliver." From my own notes: "Car feels wobbly at speed-not confidence inspiring."

We also had issues with the seating position. Considering its great width, one would think the Explorer would be spacious. But like the Taurus it's based on, it just isn't.
Then there was this: "An odd squeak has developed. Seems to be coming from right rear." A moment later, I'm on the walkie to associate online editor Scott Evans. "Sounds like something in the driver-side A-pillar is sizzling." He tells me it could be the airbag malfunctioning. Great. Mr. Loh piles on, "The squeaking from the rear and the zippery farting noise coming from the windshield only enhance the rattletrap nature of the Explorer." After poking around, we learn the head-splitting rear squeak is because of a poorly fitted rear-tire aerodynamic deflector spat. Both rear tire spats eventually failed, and the trim piece flew off on the freeway.

Additionally, a front piece of bumper trim broke loose, and the MyFord Touch system shut down for about 60 seconds, taking away all climate, stereo, phone, and navigation controls before rebooting.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 5,939 Likes on 2,930 Posts
Sure.

We didn't like driving the Explorer very much. "Holy torque steer, Batman!" shrieked executive editor Edward Loh. "Why is this AWD beast pulling under wide-open throttle?" Because more so than any other vehicle here, the Explorer is primarily FWD, with power routed to the rear tires only when the fronts lose traction. Hence, massive, freaky, comical torque steer. The big Ford also rode worse than much of the competition. Says Williams, "The chassis needs some refinement to give it the level of sophistication and playfulness most of the others deliver." From my own notes: "Car feels wobbly at speed-not confidence inspiring."

We also had issues with the seating position. Considering its great width, one would think the Explorer would be spacious. But like the Taurus it's based on, it just isn't.
Then there was this: "An odd squeak has developed. Seems to be coming from right rear." A moment later, I'm on the walkie to associate online editor Scott Evans. "Sounds like something in the driver-side A-pillar is sizzling." He tells me it could be the airbag malfunctioning. Great. Mr. Loh piles on, "The squeaking from the rear and the zippery farting noise coming from the windshield only enhance the rattletrap nature of the Explorer." After poking around, we learn the head-splitting rear squeak is because of a poorly fitted rear-tire aerodynamic deflector spat. Both rear tire spats eventually failed, and the trim piece flew off on the freeway.

Additionally, a front piece of bumper trim broke loose, and the MyFord Touch system shut down for about 60 seconds, taking away all climate, stereo, phone, and navigation controls before rebooting.

The Explorer in that test was also pre-production. If you want to have a reasonable debate about the issue, make sure full disclosure is the order of the day.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Point is is in the recent comparo it came in 3rd
He kinda does it to himself, doesn't he...
Old 09-02-2011, 01:25 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Sure.

Much better showing by the Pilot in this comparison. Instead of last place, this time it was 2nd to last!
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Costco
Much better showing by the Pilot in this comparison. Instead of last place, this time it was 2nd to last!
LOL. Though still surprising it managed to beat the Explorer.

I don't think the Pilot is a bad SUV at all, just terribly, terribly styled, boring and underpowered.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 AM
B A N N E D

Ok Honda. Take this experience, and build a Wrangler Unlimited competitor.

http://youtu.be/4218ltQtofw
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Yea, casue that thing is almost remotely close to a production vehicle

Based around a tubular space-frame chassis, the heart of the HPD Desert Pilot is its 3.7-liter Honda V-6 engine, a racing-modified development of the alloy V-6 found in a variety of Honda and Acura automobiles and trucks. The mid-engined powerplant is located just behind the central driver's seat, providing more than 400 horsepower to all four wheels.

Replica Honda Pilot bodywork, featuring widened wheel arches to cover the 35-inch BFGoodrich off-road tires; King Shocks; four-wheel independent suspension and Baja Design lights complete the package.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
5th place *and* got beat by the Chevy Traverse? WTF?

Chevy must have really stepped up their game.... something Honda obviously knows nothing about.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:48 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,916 Likes on 4,315 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser

Chevy must have really stepped up their game.... something Honda obviously knows nothing about.
The Traverse is a nice SUV.

H/A is content to sit on what they have.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Id take the GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave before the Pilot. They have much more room inside. If the MDX were about the same size as the GM (triplets mentioned above) id probably find myself in the market for one
Old 10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
B A N N E D

Looks like the new 2012 Pilot is winning again.
Pilot #1
Explorer#7 tied for last with the KIA.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/story/2011-10-13/shootout-capsules/50797282/1
Old 10-17-2011, 01:14 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,916 Likes on 4,315 Posts
Pilot #1

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/story/2011-10-13/shootout-capsules/50797282/1
Old 10-17-2011, 01:25 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

The Pilot is a fine SUV. But one of the comments in the story says it best....

If I'm paying that kind of money for a new vehicle - style and exterior styling would play a big part in my buying decision. With that said, the Honda is a distant last place in the looks category.
And it doesn't really stand apart in fuel economy and has the least amount of power which I'm guessing leads to performance figures that fall in the bottom half of those tested. There are better choices IMO.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM
B A N N E D

So the tiny cramped Sorento only managed 0.3 mpg more in their test!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:58 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

But the heavier by about 450lbs Dodge Durango was only 0.1 MPG behind.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

What they didn't: Truck feel and noise. "The ride is firm, there's noticeable wind noise at highway speeds," said Wiesenfelder. Styling. "Clunky, squarish," said Healey.
Well, the wind noise at highway speeds is a Honda trait as, I've experienced that in my old 07 AV6 and now with my 09 MDX.

But, here's another Pilot article in USA Today: Honda Pilot boxy as a brick, practical as a pocket knife

Last edited by F23A4; 10-17-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by F23A4
Well, the wind noise at highway speeds is a Honda trait as, I've experienced that in my old 07 AV6 and now with my 09 MDX.

But, here's another Pilot article in USA: Honda Pilot boxy as a brick, practical as a pocket knife

I prefer the boxy as a brick truckish styling of the Pilot. Hate the amorphous styling of the Mazda.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:28 PM
B A N N E D

Also, sounds like the Dodge has a weight problem. The Grand Cherokee platform is a real porker.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

I prefer the boxy as a brick truckish styling of the Pilot. Hate the amorphous styling of the Mazda.
Clearly a study in contrasts!! Beyond its overstyling, the CX9 is a very nice SUV. I'm pretty surprised at how much more upscale it feels when compared with the CX7. (It's truly akin to comparing the MDX with a Murano.)

But, my favorite of this group is the new Explorer. The wife and I drove it back to back with the Traverse and Pilot at a GM event and were EXTREMELY impressed. I just think that it's a little short on power and needs to be at the 300hp/300lb-ft level. (With 290hp/255lb-ft, a 45lb-ft bump in torque is really all it needs.) Aside from that, it's a beautiful SUV that we actually prefer over our MDX.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Pilot #1

A friend just baought a 2012 Pilot with the Touring package. His wife really wanted a 2012 GMC Denali, but for $65K vs. $42K for the Pilot there was no comparison on value. He's really impressed with it, just got it last week.

His wife's 1999 Denali made it to 265K miles without any major problems. The Honda dealer gave them $5K on trade-in.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up Award

ORRANCE, Calif., Jan. 17, 2012 – American Honda Motor Co., Inc., announced that the 2012 Honda Pilot has received the Cars.com "Family Car of the Year," award. The Pilot SUV received a wide range of upgrades for 2012, including a sleeker front-end design, enhanced interior features and improved fuel economy. The 2012 Pilot had already earned the top spot in the "USA Today, MotorWeek and Cars.com $37k and Under SUV Shootout," with the editor-in-chief touting the Pilot as "the perfect SUV for buyers who want to comfortably haul the entire family and all of their gear."

"We're delighted to see the 8-passenger Pilot's versatility and family-friendly attributes recognized with this prestigious award,"
said Vicki Poponi, assistant vice president of product planning, American Honda Motor Co. "The newly refined and more fuel-efficient Pilot provides real value and surprising sophistication for anyone shopping in the segment."

This year marks the fifth anniversary of the Cars.com Family Car of the Year award, which was presented last year to the Honda Odyssey. Launched in June 1998, Cars.com is an online destination for car shoppers that offers information from consumers and experts to help buyers formulate opinions on what to buy, where to buy and how much to pay for a car. For more information on the Best of the Year Awards, visit http://www.cars.com/awards/.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
A friend just baought a 2012 Pilot with the Touring package. His wife really wanted a 2012 GMC Denali, but for $65K vs. $42K for the Pilot there was no comparison on value. He's really impressed with it, just got it last week.

His wife's 1999 Denali made it to 265K miles without any major problems. The Honda dealer gave them $5K on trade-in.
Small update my friend's Honda Pilot had the battery fail after one month. This things happen but his wife is pissed because they bought the Pilot since he was worried her 13 year old Denali with 265K miles would break down leaving her stranded. Honda dealer is installing a new battery but she's threatening to get rid of the so-called reliable Pilot and replace it with a 2012 Denali.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:22 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Doesn't Honda get their batteries from AC Delco? I know the one from my TL was. POS, didn't last past the second Mid Atlantic winter.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
Small update my friend's Honda Pilot had the battery fail after one month. This things happen but his wife is pissed because they bought the Pilot since he was worried her 13 year old Denali with 265K miles would break down leaving her stranded. Honda dealer is installing a new battery but she's threatening to get rid of the so-called reliable Pilot and replace it with a 2012 Denali.
Perhaps the Wife left a door open or something that drained the battery? Those dome lights will drain a battery pretty fast if they are all left on. The thing that scared me with our Pilot was my kids leaving a door open while camping overnight and killing our battery out in the sticks. Fixed by replacing bulbs with LEDs. My Wife still managed to kill the battery once but it was some other way that wasn't the cars fault involving leaving the ignition on and the seat heaters blaring.

I would hardly gauge the reliability of a vehicle on the battery, but I imagine there's a story regarding such an early failure of the battery.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Luck of the draw. Let her know the car probably sat for a while before it was sold and that causes batteries to drain.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:23 AM
AZ Community Team

I believe so, my TL battery was a AC Delco with a Acura label on it. It failed after ~2 years and was replaced with another AC Delco which lasted ~3 years. I replaced it with a DieHard.

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Doesn't Honda get their batteries from AC Delco? I know the one from my TL was. POS, didn't last past the second Mid Atlantic winter.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 AM
AZ Community Team

Not sure but I'd bet the door switch for the lights has the same timer feature that my 2003 Pilot has. Once the door has been open for ~2 minutes the interior lights turn off.

But if someone leaves a reading light on that will not turn off even if the ignition switch is not in. Once one of my daughters forgot to turn off her reading light (integrated into the hand grip), it did drain the battery over a couple days when the Pilot was not run.

Not sure what happened to my friend's 2012 Pilot, his wife parked it in a outdoor parking lot overnight. She checked all the lights and they were all off. The Pilot needed to be jumped twice. A couple of other factors, her drive to work is short ~5 minutes, and it was 5oF outside.

They're not getting rid of the Pilot but she is driving his Silverado XL for a few weeks since she works as a nurse and needs her vehicle to be reliable. I was j/k about getting rid of it although she really wanted a Denali (she previously had a 1999) but at almost $60K, her husband wanted the Pilot which was better equipped in some ways and alot cheaper.

Originally Posted by LaCostaRacer
Perhaps the Wife left a door open or something that drained the battery? Those dome lights will drain a battery pretty fast if they are all left on. The thing that scared me with our Pilot was my kids leaving a door open while camping overnight and killing our battery out in the sticks. Fixed by replacing bulbs with LEDs. My Wife still managed to kill the battery once but it was some other way that wasn't the cars fault involving leaving the ignition on and the seat heaters blaring.

I would hardly gauge the reliability of a vehicle on the battery, but I imagine there's a story regarding such an early failure of the battery.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Luck of the draw. Let her know the car probably sat for a while before it was sold and that causes batteries to drain.
That's what my friend thought also, suffation of the battery plates or maybe a cell shorted or partially opened.

Dealer checked out the Pilot and did not replace the battery. They measured the battery and it passed the charge and capacity test. They also checked the Pilot's charging and parasitic draw and both were normal.

My friend found on some Pilot internet forum that on some new Pilot's the sunroof occasionally malfunctions and can draw down the battery.

So it's kinda mystery, his wife works in north eastern Colorado where it's desolated so she's not happy but at least she's now driving my friend's 2011 Silverado.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:48 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Most OEM batteries are
Old 01-23-2012, 10:40 AM
AZ Community Team

My friend in CO's 2012 Pilot battery went dead overnight again over the weekend. Nothing was left on. Something is sporadically causing large current drain when the vehicle is off. The battery, alternator, and current drain checked out OK last week but something occasionally is draining the battery. It's going back to the dealer.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:31 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
The All New Honda Pilot Special Edition

The Go-Anywhere, Do-Anything 2015 Honda Pilot Adds Even More Value with New Special Edition Trim Level

06/03/2014 - TORRANCE, Calif.
New-for-2015 Pilot Special Edition (SE) includes styling, technology and convenience upgrades

Pilot remains the uniquely capable eight-passenger "Ultimate Family Adventure Vehicle" and is now available in five feature-rich trim levels

TORRANCE, Calif., With the new Special Edition (SE) trim level, class-leading fuel efficiency and a go-anywhere, do-anything capability that fits the lifestyles of active families, the 2015 Honda Pilot goes on sale today with a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) starting at $29,8701.

Honda's renowned engineering excellence and quality combine to produce a practical and versatile three-row, eight-passenger family SUV with a class-leading EPA highway fuel economy rating2 of 25 mpg (2WD models) and towing capacity3 of a 4,500 pounds (4WD models). Add a low cost of ownership and five feature-rich trim levels and the 2015 Pilot is the "Ultimate Family Adventure Vehicle."

New for 2015, the Pilot Special Edition (SE) is positioned between the EX and EX-L trim levels and includes sporty pewter gray aluminum alloy wheels, special SE badging, a one-touch-open power moonroof with tilt feature, Sirus XM radio and a Honda DVD Rear Entertainment System. Standard features on all 2015 Pilots include remote entry, rearview camera and an integrated Class III trailer hitch.

All 2015 Pilots are powered by a refined and fuel-efficient 250-horsepower4 3.5-liter i-VTEC V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM™). The engine is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission with Grade Logic Control to help maintain the most appropriate gear when climbing or descending steep grades. All trims are available with 2-wheel drive or with Honda's Variable Torque Management® 4-wheel-drive system (VTM-4®) that adds fully automatic 4-wheel-drive capability and features a "lock mode" that can deliver the maximum-possible torque transfer to the rear wheels to aid extraction from extremely low traction or stuck conditions.

The Pilot's powertrain is complemented by a rigid body structure and fully independent suspension – with MacPherson strut front and multi-link with trailing arm rear – that provides the foundation for its responsive handling and comfortable ride. These traits are complemented by chassis geometry producing impressive cornering capability and easy maneuverability in tight parking situations.

The Honda Pilot was designed and engineered at Honda's R&D facilities in California and Ohio, and is built exclusively by Honda Manufacturing of Alabama5. View, build and price a 2015 Honda Pilot at automobiles.honda.com/pilot.

http://hondanews.com/channels/corpor...ion-trim-level
Old 06-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

wow thread revival. And holy hell who was that Invisible chick?
Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 5,565 Likes on 3,798 Posts
SE typically means redesign in the next year.
Maybe we'll be seeing a new Pilot for 2016, one that doesn't get a 'poor' small-offset rating.

Quick Reply: Honda: Pilot News