Honda Pickup - Domo arigato?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 02:35 PM
That blowed up real good!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Pickup - Domo arigato? Now w/pics!

So Honda's going to build a pickup that drives like a car? Does the thought of this leave you camping outside a Honda dealer in quiet anticipation or does it leave you scratching your head? Me? It's a bold move on an untapped market for those looking to haul without sacrificing ride/handling. Of course, Subaru has the Baja ...

From 'The Car Connection':
Honda Motor Co. will dip its corporate toe into the potentially lucrative pickup truck market, several well-placed sources report to TheCarConnection.com. In keeping with Honda's approach to light trucks, the vehicle will take aim at a niche segment, rather than the heart, of the huge U.S. pickup market. Derived from the same global unibody platform now used for vehicles such as the midsize Honda Pilot and Acura MDX sport-utility vehicles, the new Honda will feature a ute-like, five-passenger cabin mated to a short pickup bed. In basic concept, it will be similar to Ford's Explorer Sport Trac, though that vehicle rides on a conventional, truck-like frame. Honda will target a suburban lifestyle. The Japanese automaker has long debated the need to enter the pickup segment, and sources say discussions continue over whether to add a full-size truck to the line-up, as well. It appears likely Honda will wait to see how the new Nissan Titan and the next-generation Toyota Tundra are received before making a final decision. But the potential market is there, according to Dan Gorrell, a senior analyst with Strategic Visions, Inc. "The Honda brand is extremely strong and could support forays into other segments," Gorrell says, but he notes that the company has traditionally been cautious about breaking into new segments. Honda was the last of the Japanese big three to make a serious entry into the booming U.S. light truck market, though demand for vehicles like the Pilot and the new Element have proved strong. The automaker will provide a sneak peek of its new pickup/ute at a media gathering in Detroit on Thursday, with a public debut set for the North American International Auto Show early next month. The new vehicle is expected to be produced at one of the two Honda truck plants in North America. -Paul Eisenstein
Old 12-11-2003, 03:51 PM
such a dirty birdy

Hmmm... My reaction is mostly one of indifference. The fact that they're building it off the "global unibody platform" says right there it's not a serious contender as a truck. In theory, I like the idea of a flexible utility vehicle like the Sport-Trac or a de-uglified Avalanche. But if Honda wants a truck that's actually competitive with NA offerings, they need to build it the same way - body-on-frame construction, RWD and a V8. Until they're prepared to do that, whatever weird thing they come up with is not much more than a curiosity.

Old 12-11-2003, 04:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think C&D or R&T had a couple of pictures of what the pickup truck would look like or does look like.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Don't get run over!

Originally posted by DEVO
I think C&D or R&T had a couple of pictures of what the pickup truck would look like or does look like.
I've seen pictures of a Honda Pilot with a pickup truck bed, but don't know if thats what they are going for.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:14 PM
Racer

This article comes to mind...

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2005/honda/preview.html
Old 12-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
There is a sketch over at TOV in the News section. I think it will succeed.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:31 PM

Thanks phile for the update. I also found the same sketch at The Car Connection.

They've kept the SUV look of the Pilot to give it a rugged Avalance look. I don't expect those oversized tire to make it into production, but the overall lines forshadow the clean, sharp lines Acura lineup is designing - I have heard Acura is also getting their own version of this "SUT" prototype. That would certainly bolster a weak product lineup in that division.

What if they were to offer a sports package? Drop a 250 HP V6 in it, lower & beef up the suspension and add groud-effects to the Acura version. That would fit the sports/luxury market that the Acura product line is aiming for...
Old 12-12-2003, 08:26 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Happy-happy joy-joy, joy-joy happy-happy!!!!!

Asked Moda_way, I've been pumped about this for sooooo long.
I can't wait.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by MrChad
Happy-happy joy-joy, joy-joy happy-happy!!!!!

Asked Moda_way, I've been pumped about this for sooooo long.
I can't wait.
I'm the same way, Mr.Chad. I've often though about buying a pickup, but the though of plopping down 40K for a Fjord or GeeEmm left me ... well, it's hard to stray from a car manufacturer that hasn't let our family down for over 20 years. Can't say the same thing about the BIG TWO.

I'm keeping my eyes peel for the Acura version. Hopefully we'll see more at NAIAS (just across the river for me!).
Old 01-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Intermediate

Yuk.............What Honda really needs to make is a Tacoma size pickup with a long useable bed and a V6. The small Toyotas of long ago set the standard for reliable trucks. Not all of us want a gas guzzling V8.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:46 PM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Link to Hondanews...

honda pickup
Old 01-04-2004, 08:29 PM

Old 01-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I like it, if it was out now i may opt for it over the tsx.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

It doesn't affect me personally since I have no need for a pickup, but it's a market they should move into.

I agree they should move into the full-size market also.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Racer

i don't like the angle of the rear bed, everything else looks ok.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:18 AM
OG

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
from Hondanews....

Remarks by Tom Elliott, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc,
at 2004 North American International Auto Show - Sunday, January 4, 2004

Detroit, Mich. 01/04/2004 --
Good afternoon everyone. Well, for years we've told you we have no plans for a truck. Today, I'll tell you that we do. More accurately, a Sports Utility Truck.

And although what we're showing today is a concept, it gives you a good idea at the direction that we will take with an all-new Honda SUT to be built in Allison, Ontario, and launched in the 2005 calendar year

Before you start thinking this is Honda's first truck, let me take you back a few years to 1963 when Honda launched its very first automotive product, the T360 sports truck. Powered by a 360cc engine, the T360 put out 30 horsepower.

Obviously, we've come a long way since then.

In the past ten years, Honda light trucks have played an important part in our growth, both in terms of our ability to retain existing Honda customers and in attracting new buyers to the Honda family. In a short ten years, American Honda has gone from a lineup without a single light truck, to sales of more than half a million SUVs and minivans in 2003.

At the same time as Honda has been growing its light truck sales, the truck market itself has been changing.

In much the same way that SUVs evolved from hard riding vehicles with body-on-frame construction to more refined and well-appointed trucks and finally to car-based platforms, the pickup truck market is starting to undergo a similar evolution.

Today's trucks reflect a growing diversity in the way trucks are being used and viewed by American consumers, many of whom are looking at trucks not as work vehicles but instead as products to support their active lifestyles.

What was once a market dominated by sparsely appointed two door pickups designed for use on the farm and construction sites has changed dramatically in recent years to include a wide array of variations on the traditional truck theme, including quad cabs, crew cabs and, most recently, truck-based SUTs.

All these vehicles, to varying degrees, are trying to address the desire on the part of today's consumers for trucks with a higher level of refinement, sophistication, style and comfort.

The Honda SUT takes the next step in addressing this trend.

By combining the utility of a pickup, the practicality of an SUV and the advantages of unibody design - including better packaging, improved comfort and superior ride and handling dynamics - the Honda SUT represents a next-generation truck for a new wave of truck buyers, with more refined tastes and active, outdoor-oriented lifestyles.

As you heard from our designers, this concept centered around the image of a 'cool dad' as the embodiment of this new type of truck buyer.

The cool dad has a growing family and outdoor hobbies and is looking for something that is responsible, practical and comfortable enough for his family, but at the same time has the rugged utility to support his active lifestyle.

But the cool dad is not just a lifestyle image. More importantly, it represents a large group of existing customers who have grown up in the Honda family, and will serve as the main source of buyers for this new vehicle.

The Honda SUT delivers on all their expectations for an active lifestyle vehicle.

Taking advantage of its unibody platform, the Honda SUT delivers a spacious five-passenger interior in a more sensibly sized vehicle with substantially improved ride comfort, handling performance and overall refinement versus traditional truck-based vehicles.

In the back, the Honda SUT delivers the utility and cargo space this buyer is looking for. With an extra-wide five-foot bed, a deeper cargo box and less wheel arch intrusion than a typical truck, the Honda SUT offers improved cargo hauling capabilities versus existing truck-based SUTs.

And because it's a Honda, it needs to be fun-to-drive. With a high output, high torque all-aluminum V6, four-wheel independent suspension and four wheel disk brakes, the Honda SUT Concept delivers the kind of sporty performance that the "cool dad" can definitely appreciate.

With its wide track, and advanced electronically controlled four-wheel drive system, the Honda SUT provides a high level of stability, controllability and all-weather handling confidence.

It's also a vehicle that takes seriously its responsibility to society and sets a new standard in safety and environmental responsibility.

In keeping with our Safety for Everyone concept, the Honda SUT carries a full array of advanced safety features including Vehicle Stability Assist, Intelligent front and side airbags systems with occupant sensing capabilities and a side-curtain airbag system with rollover sensors.

In the category of emissions and fuel efficiency, the Honda SUT excels with Ultra-Low Emissions performance and class-leading fuel efficiency.

Finally, the SUT Concept brings a whole new look and style to the truck segment. With a fully integrated bed and cab, strong but agile stance and next-generation styling, the SUT communicates a sense of something entirely new and uniquely Honda.

It's a new look and a new direction for the truck market and, most importantly, it's a Honda -- in every sense of the word.

That means innovative and thoughtful design, superior ergonomics, world-class durability, quality and reliability and always fun-to-drive. All things that we're confident will appeal to a new generation of truck buyers looking for something a little different than your typical truck.

We look forward to coming back next year to give you the first look at the production version.

For now, though, I'd like to invite you to come up and take a closer look at the Honda Sport Utility Truck.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

i like it as well.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:10 PM

I think it will be a success. Any guesses on a price?