Work safe avatar bish :D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Kabachitare!

Honda's First Pickup Designed for Malls Not Fields

Wed December 10, 2003 03:27 PM ET

By Michael Ellis
DETROIT (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co. Ltd. is expected to reveal its first pickup truck, a model more suited to suburban shopping than working the farm, analysts said.

The pickup, expected to go into production at Honda's Alabama plant next year, is expected to be based on the Honda Pilot, a full-size sport utility vehicle that in turn traces its roots back to the Odyssey minivan, analysts said.

Unlike a traditional pickup truck, Honda's will have a short cargo bed behind a five-passenger compartment and car-like ride and handling, analysts said.

"It's not going to be your rugged, workhorse pickup," said Joseph Barker, manager of North American sales analysis with industry consultants CSM Worldwide. "It's going to be more driver friendly, it's going to cater to families."

Honda could show the pickup truck on Thursday during its annual holiday party, where it traditionally unveils some concept and production vehicles. Officials have said that a couple models will be shown again this year, and analysts expect one will be the pickup truck.

By deriving the pickup from the Pilot SUV, Honda will get a foothold in one of the largest segments of the U.S. market without making costly investments in developing V8 engines and rugged frames for a typical pickup truck.

Honda's entries in the truck segment, in particular the Pilot, have helped boost its total U.S. sales by 9.2 percent through the first 11 months this year.

Nissan Motor Co. Ltd. became only the second non-U.S. automaker to enter the full-size pickup market when it launched its Titan pickup truck, built at its new plant in Mississippi, earlier this month. Toyota Motor Corp. also sells the Tundra pickup truck.

As SUV and pickup truck sales in the United States have continued to grow, the auto industry has experimented with crossovers between the two segments, with some success.

Ford Motor Co.'s Ford Explorer Sport Trac, which has a small cargo bed behind the passenger compartment, has had strong sales since it was launched in 2000. General Motors Corp.'s Cadillac Escalade EXT and Chevrolet Avalanche pickups have short cargo beds that can be extended into the cab by folding down the rear seats and the midgate, or the back wall of the truck cab, behind the seats.

Meanwhile, pickup trucks are being made with more roomy, SUV-like interiors. The combination of comfort and convenience have made pickup trucks more popular with suburban buyers and women drivers.

"I think all of the industry is going to be watching this (Honda) product," Barker said. "If they're going to pull more families and women in with this product, then the others will likely follow."
Old 12-11-2003, 09:38 AM
Safety Car

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=183340
Old 12-11-2003, 12:29 PM

Honda Pilot/Acura MDX platform
Ain't that off the Odyessy platform or am I wrong?

A Mid-size V-6 is okay, nothing wrong with that. Though Honda doesn't know shit about torque and that is what trucks need. And Trucks need to look agressive, and Honda will probably make it look like a Honda, bland or ugly.

But it is a great move for Honda. Why? This truck won't get new customers from Dodge, Chevy, FOrd, Toyota but it will RETAIN the Honda faithful. Trucks also=FAT profits.

It may even start a new segment "Mall Truck". Not for off-road or heavy use but stictly for Home Depot, Wal-Mart, baseball practice etc. Good move.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

think it will be more along the lines of a honda version of the chevy avalanche. gm managed to create this new segment of sut's with the fold down midgate.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess MotorTrend was way off.

Old 12-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Kabachitare!

Honda joins pickup crowd with sport utility concept

New model to be unveiled at Detroit auto show

By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

Surprise.

After months of denying plans to exploit one of the auto industry’s most lucrative vehicle segment — pickup trucks — Honda Motor Co. is taking the plunge.

The Japanese automaker next month will take the wraps off a sport utility truck concept vehicle equipped with an open cargo bed, a new feature for Honda vehicles in North America, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Based on the same underpinnings as the successful Honda Pilot and Acura MDX SUVs, the SUT "will provide the world with its first glimpse of the direction Honda will take with a future production sport utility truck," the automaker said Thursday.

Honda spokesman Andy Boyd declined to comment on when the vehicle will be introduced, but analysts expect a 2005 arrival in U.S. showrooms.

Dealers such as Tony Jerome, president of Tamaroff Buick and Honda in Southfield, are confident of the vehicle’s appeal. Honda products are "bulletproof," he said.

"But I haven’t seen it," Jerome said. "Just some drawings. ... Honda is very, very close with their new products. They don’t really let you have a lot of lead time."

Discretion has been a hallmark of Honda’s approach to product development, said Mike Wall, auto analyst with CSM Worldwide. But the existence of a Honda pickup program was the worst-kept secret in the industry.

Buzz "was out there," Wall said.

With demand for traditional cars waning and light trucks growing in popularity industry-wide, analysts say Honda needs a pickup-like utility to continue its aggressive sales push in the U.S. market.

Among the top six automakers, Honda is the lone pickup holdout. And light trucks — which tend to generate higher profits than cars — represent a growing share of the overall vehicle market.

Through November, light trucks accounted for 53.8 percent of all U.S. vehicle sales in 2003, according to WardsAuto.com. In 1998, that share was 47.6 percent.

Honda won’t forecast demand for the new truck, but suppliers say the automaker expects annual sales in the range of 57,000 units.

Such acceptance would rival the sales performance of the Ford Explorer Sport Trac, considered the Honda concept’s closest competition. Through November, Ford sold 54,600 units of the Sport Trac, a mid-size SUV with a cargo bed.

Is Ford worried?

"Not at all," said Rod Locricchio, general manager of Mike Dorian Ford in Mount Clemens.

"The bottom line is price, payment, affordability. And I don’t care how strong it is, how tough it is, how good it looks. It’s all about price point."

Sport Trac’s base price is $23.690, excluding destination charges.

In keeping with its custom, Honda is mum on prospective prices.

You can reach Eric Mayne at (313) 222-2443 or emayne@detnews.com.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:06 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not a fan of trucks, but that looks pretty good..
Old 12-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Certified Lurker

You realy cant say that motortrend was way off untill we get a frontal pic from honda, the one they relesed is only of the rear and the motortrend one is of the front, so i guess we shall see how close they were.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Old 01-14-2004, 09:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Honda SUT Concept took...5 years to make?

Honda took its sweet time to create SUT pickup concept

By LINDSAY CHAPPELL | Automotive News

The SUT: Factory restraints and a lack of truck savvy kept it a low priority.

If one word could describe the project to create Honda's first American pickup, the new SUT Concept, it would not be "urgency."

The automaker known for its ability to hustle new models from drawing board to assembly line is taking its sweet time on the SUT.

The pickup is five years in the making, says its chief designer, Dave Marek. The mohawked and blue-spectacled designer directed the styling from the Honda R&D Americas Inc. studios in Torrance, Calif. His concept popped up in 1998, in the same presentation of drawings that yielded the quirky Honda Model X. By comparison, that concept - renamed the Element - is in its second model year of commercial production.

"We're taking our time on this," Marek said last week as onlookers peeked into the ultimate oddity for the Honda brand: a cargo bed.

The SUT Concept, revealed at the Detroit auto show, is hardly a concept at all. Thomas Elliott, Honda's executive vice president for operations, said the company will begin building the pickup in Alliston, Ontario, in the middle of next year.

"For years we've told you that we had no plans for a pickup," Elliott told the auto show audience of journalists and competitors, "today I'll tell you that we do."

Elliott said Honda offered a pickup in Japan in 1963 - the negligible T360, boasting all of 30 hp. Four decades later, Honda's pickup features such amenities as an all-aluminum, low-emission VTEC V-6 engine, integrated cargo bed lighting, rollbar-type seating and a four-panel cabin skylight.

But the long wait still isn't over. The additional 18 months until commercial production is further out of character for Honda. By comparison, the company moved the Element into commercial production in the same year it was unveiled.

Honda was not willing to rush a pickup, Marek said. "It's a new world for us."

It's also a new definition of pickup.

The SUT is based on the Pilot SUV, which is in turn based on the Acura MDX SUV. The SUVs are built like large cars, using unibody construction instead of the standard body-on-frame design that carries most of the industry's light trucks. The SUT maintains the Pilot's full five-passenger, four-door cabin. But instead of a rear SUV cargo area, there is a 5-foot cargo bed with tailgate. The wheel wells are diminished to accentuate the available space.

It is a gutsy design in some ways. It cashes in on the Pilot's comfortable interior - a trademark selling point for the Honda SUV. But by opening the back as a cargo bed, the design manages to nudge the carlike Pilot into a more rugged market where outdoor lovers might need to throw their muddy camping equipment into the back, or haul bicycles.

At the same time, the SUT is the ultimate in safe designs for Honda. Lopping off the rear roof of the Pilot frees Honda from developing the technical expertise of constructing traditional body-on-frame pickups.

That makes it easier for Honda to enter the pickup business. But it also makes for a different kind of pickup. The heavy steel frames of other trucks are rigid and tough, and can take the jarring punishment of rough roads.

"We can do this now because the definition of truck has been evolving over the past few years," Marek said.

Honda has resisted the segment for 20 years, even as pickups boomed and its retailers pestered the automaker to join the party. Honda competitors, Nissan Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp., long ago graduated from pup four-cylinder entries of the early 1980s into bigger and more profitable pickups. They are venturing into still bigger V-8 powered work trucks capable of threatening the Big 3.

Asked whether Honda will attempt to follow the competition into the full-sized segment, Elliott said, "I don't want to say never on something like that."

Dave Mungenast, a St. Louis Honda-Toyota-Dodge dealer, was one of those who unsuccessfully urged Honda into the segment. On becoming chairman of the brand's national dealer council in the late 1980s, Mungenast pressed the factory for a pickup.

"They said, 'OK, fine. What would you like to give up in order to get one?'" Mungenast said. "They had so much demand for cars, they just didn't have any capacity for trucks. They said, 'Do you want us to build fewer Accords? Fewer Civics? Because if we're going to build trucks, we've got to get rid of something to make room.'

"And at the same time, a lot of people have sort of forgotten this, but trucks weren't all that profitable back in the 1980s. We were making good profits on Accords and Civics. The idea of giving that up for something that was a little tougher sell - it made you stop and think."

Dick Colliver, Honda's executive vice president for auto sales, confirmed that manufacturing capacity was always the biggest hurdle to getting into pickups. Honda expanded its North American factory capacity in the past decade, turning its small Alliston Civic hatchback plant into a 390,000-unit-a-year source of cars, minivans and SUVs. Honda opened a second light-truck factory in Lincoln, Ala., in December 2001.

But pickups have been low on Honda's priority list. Before thinking about pickups, the company had to create a credible minivan, the Odyssey, and then jump into the fast-growing SUV segment, with the compact Honda CR-V, and the larger Honda Pilot and Acura MDX. Then it had to build enough factory space to satisfy the demand.

"All of a sudden," Colliver said, "we can see we've got enough capacity to move into other markets."

There were other issues, Marek said.

"What held us back was the thought that people would never accept a truck from Honda," he said. "And we had our own perception that we didn't have the expertise to do a truck."

Five years ago, the original studio sketches showed the SUT as a more modest two-door pickup, but with a longer cargo bed. The company immediately liked the idea, Marek said. But the drawings ignited questions at the r&d organization about what a Honda truck should look like and whether a car-based pickup could perform like a true pickup.

A team of 40 transformed the original drawings into the larger, more sophisticated Pilot-based concept that the public is seeing in Detroit. That truck is still being field tested, Marek said.

"We will still be testing it for months," the designer said, explaining why it remains 18 months from production. Engineers are looking closely at the truck's torque performance and also at its rigidity in more demanding uses.

"We have to make sure it works like a truck," Marek said. "It has to. That's why we're not rushing it."

Source: Autoweek
Old 01-14-2004, 09:46 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Pics and info here:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=126172
Old 01-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Honda SUT Concept took...5 years to make?

Originally posted by gavriil
"For years we've told you that we had no plans for a pickup," Elliott told the auto show audience of journalists and competitors, "today I'll tell you that we do."

what a bunghole...maybe next we'll hear, "For years, we've told you that we had no plans for a v8. today, i'll tell you we do."

just give it to us STRAIGHT!! dammit!
Old 01-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
If I was Honda, I'd want my money back

That thing is u-g-l-y
Old 01-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Lookin a ton like the Avalanche. I wouldn't buy that one either.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:17 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It's kinda growing on me....I'll withold judgement until the production model hits the streets.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:28 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate it. :thumbsdn:
Old 01-15-2004, 10:43 AM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ewie. Gavrill, have you heard anything about an Acura version of this truck? I heard those rumors a while back, and I think that would be the final nail in Acura's luxury coffin.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by charliemike
If I was Honda, I'd want my money back

That thing is u-g-l-y
Hehehe...
Old 01-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
ewie. Gavrill, have you heard anything about an Acura version of this truck? I heard those rumors a while back, and I think that would be the final nail in Acura's luxury coffin.
I have heard of NO rumors for an Acura pick-up truck. This is the first time I am even...thinking of such a possibility. I sincerely doubt such a case. The luxury pick-up truck concept has not been proven as business worthy yet. Lincoln is trying to debug it still. As we all know, they have failed once with the Blackwood.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by gavriil
I have heard of NO rumors for an Acura pick-up truck. This is the first time I am even...thinking of such a possibility. I sincerely doubt such a case. The luxury pick-up truck concept has not been proven as business worthy yet. Lincoln is trying to debug it still. As we all know, they have failed once with the Blackwood.
True, but Caddy seems to be doing well enough with the Escalade EXT. I think there is a market there, it just has to be executed properly. Maybe if it's designed to look like a MDX truck, it'd work...kinda like the Escalade/Escalade EXT relationship.

All I can say is, the SUT isn't that ugly.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:58 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fugly
Old 01-26-2004, 09:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Honda mulls more truck models as it pushes into the U.S. market - - By LINDSAY CHAPPELL | Automotive News

"Honda North America Inc. may have more surprises up its sleeve as it pushes into the U.S. light-truck market.

Honda's top U.S. designer says the same design sessions that produced Honda's SUT Concept pickup introduced at the Detroit auto show this month yielded drawings for four other concept vehicles."

Source: Autoweek