Honda: Fleet news

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Type RC

The next TSX will then ride on the next Civic platform. Before you call me crazy I have a few reasons as to why.
who's calling you crazy?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Punk Rocker

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Well, after 7 Hondas (and one Acura) I guess I can officially state I will never own another one. Sucks because I used to be such a hardcore Honda fan but if they are going the basically give the bird to everyone who actually loves to drive (rather than seeing a car as just a way to get from place to place) then I will just continue to shop elsewhere (Infiniti, BMW, Lexus, Audi will all happily take my enthusiast dollar).....
Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Just To Put Things In Perspective

Question: How many of the new '09 RL's have I seen on the road in the NYC area over the last year since it came out?
Answer: JUST ONE !

Question: How many of the new '09 TL's have I seen on the road in the NYC area over the last 4 months since it came out?
Answer: JUST THREE !

Question: How many of the new '09 TSX's have I seen on the road in the NYC area over the last 6 months since it came out?
Answer: JUST FOUR !

The guys at Acura of Ramsey tell me sales are off a whopping 70%!!
They also say that the only people getting car loans (and mortgages) these days are the ones with 10 star credit.

Make no mistake about it folks, these be tough times!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
who's calling you crazy?

Ah the Canadian only CSX!!! If the next TSX is truly going to be Civic based, I don't think the CSX will be around next generation, either that or the TSX won't be called the TSX in Canada.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,949 Likes on 14,062 Posts
Wow...terrible news. Stickied.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:40 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Ah the Canadian only CSX!!!
Always have a when I see one of those. Badge engineering FTL.

No OEM is immune to this downturn, its turned the tables on EVERYONE. People will fondly look back at the last 10 years as the golden age of internal combustion, vehicle variety and consumer choice IMO.

Granted, things will eventually improve but by that time higher oil prices will be back and the avg consumer will be driving whatever the new central gov't policy whiz's dictate.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Question: How many of the new '09 RL's have I seen on the road in the NYC area over the last year since it came out?
Answer: JUST ONE !

Question: How many of the new '09 TL's have I seen on the road in the NYC area over the last 4 months since it came out?
Answer: JUST THREE !

Question: How many of the new '09 TSX's have I seen on the road in the NYC area over the last 6 months since it came out?
Answer: JUST FOUR !

The guys at Acura of Ramsey tell me sales are off a whopping 70%!!
They also say that the only people getting car loans (and mortgages) these days are the ones with 10 star credit.

Make no mistake about it folks, these be tough times!
Yeah but the problem w/ Acura dealerships is that many of them are still unrealistic and some of the hardest to deal with I have found. Acura needs to drop the prices and give the dealerships some major incentives and get these darn cars moving! I went back and forth for DAYS on an '09 TSX and still ended up w/ nothing because of the nonsense. For a customer w/ money to spend, a really good credit score and ready to drive off of the lot yesterday, this simply should not be...
Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Under Pressure

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
S2000>>>>

Me>>>>>>

Honda>>>>

I always thought of Honda as more performance/sport oriented but now it looks like they're going the way of Toyota... becoming the Buick of Japan.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Guys, this is a rumor. It's not real until Honda issues a press release.

If this is true, though, my next car will likely not be an Acura. I know I've previously said I want to go with the Caddy CTS-V, but I was giving Acura a couple of years so I could see what the next RL brought.

If this is true.... Acura, put a fork in it, it's done. It can't possibly survive with a near-lux TSX, a fugly TL, and the MDX alone. I can't see how the RL moves on from here. It sold only 245 copies last month, and it was selling badly even before the economic crisis. I think the RL's definitely dead. The RDX is doing badly as well. It's so sad, I've been a Honda guy for 20 years. Even though I stare at other cars, Honda has been where this enthusiast has placed his hard-earned money. I'll always have at least one in the garage--the wife sees cars as appliances and what Honda's going to be putting out qualifies as that, and I don't think anyone tops Honda's safety record. As for me....I'll have to look at the Germans, Caddy, or give up on sport luxury and settle for a Honda myself.

As far as the S2000.....I will be ecstatic when Honda finally stops producing them. In 15 years, my example will be a collector's item if I care for it properly.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Under Pressure

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If it is true, the S2000 will surely become a cult classic.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Guys, this is a rumor. It's not real until Honda issues a press release.
Good point. We all know Honda rumors never materialize.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
This just seems stupid to me. Eventually, the market is going to turn around, and then Honda will have absolutely nothing to bring to a competitive market.

I understand that times are tough, but a company still needs to progress with development in order to emerge competitive in a tough, established market.
This is true, but i think Honda's automotive division including Acura is in a lot more trouble economically than they are wanting to say (probably because they dont want to scare shareholders). If things get really bad, dont be surprised to see Acura's being sold at Honda dealerships or even the Acura line next on the chopping block........This may sound far fetched but in these times i wouldnt be surprised if this idea hasnt already been tossed around the boardroom in Japan (if that is where their Head Office still is this week!!!)

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/22/h...side-of-japan/
Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Senior Moderator

One more comment:

Honda is cutting all the enthusiast stuff so that they can sell what makes them the most money--Accords and Civics. I think all this stuff will be back after the economic downturn improves. Honda won't lose the masses who feel cars are appliances, and Honda itself will certainly survive.

However, for an enthusiast like me with money to spend on fast luxury cars, Honda's potential decisions here are problematic. Enthusiasts like us are enthusiastic but we aren't the biggest moneymakers for Honda. So they may have made a decision to save the company.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
at least reskin the NSX and drop in the 3.7 engine, keep it low production. The aluminum chassis, updated skin and interior, and 300+ hp engine will be enough to satisfy the enthusiasts and keep costs down. Same for the S2k, just reskin it and update the interior, then increase the power with a blower or turbo from the RDX. I don't see why that would be bad, it would be a way to coast thru the industry downtime until further notice.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Hope this is just a rumor. If its true, then it seems like they're going down the path Toyota (Lexus not withstanding) took.... drop all the fun cars, and make boring commuter cars that everyone would be "content" to drive. No V8s, no RWD..... again, Lexus not included.

I shit you not, I haven't seen ONE new TL or RL on the road anywhere not near a dealership. I've seen quite a few TSXs here and there, but neither of the above.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:59 AM
Senior Moderator

^^^^
I have seen the new TSX. It is a stunner in person, in black. Of the new Acuras, it is the only one that is really good-looking. I also tailed a new TL the other night on a freeway far from a dealership. Sigh.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
I've had the pleasure of driving the new TSX all week as my 3G is having its 4th tranny put in... I must say I'm quite impressed....
Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
I've only seen two or three 4G TLs on the road here in central NJ....and I don't live too far from two Acura dealerships. However, I have seen a number of 2G TSXs. Honestly, I only find the TSX and MDX to be even remotely attractive in appearance. The TL and RL frontends just look too inspired by the 6000SUX from RoboCop.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I can foresee that the next cost cutting plan for Honda is to kill off the Acura brand entirely. Without the NSX replacement, V10, V8, and RWD, all efforts to further differentiate the Acura brand and Honda brand vehicles are proved wasted. The only differentiation left is the questionable-looking front grill design for Acura vs the conventional-looking front grill design for Honda vehicles.

Acura will continue to remain as a wanna-be luxury brand, and will end up competing with vehicles in the Honda brand rather than those from the true luxury brands.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
i see more challengers than TLs on the road, and yes they are the srt versions
Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jnc2000
I've had the pleasure of driving the new TSX all week as my 3G is having its 4th tranny put in... I must say I'm quite impressed....
4th tranny on a 3G?

Originally Posted by F23A4
I've only seen two or three 4G TLs on the road here in central NJ....and I don't live too far from two Acura dealerships. However, I have seen a number of 2G TSXs. Honestly, I only find the TSX and MDX to be even remotely attractive in appearance. The TL and RL frontends just look too inspired by the 6000SUX from RoboCop.
Same here. I see new TSXs a lot, but only seen 2 4G TLs since they went on sale. Haven't seen one new RL, but I do see pre-refreshed ones quite often.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I've seen a couple of new TSX's (white and black); the black was hot. I've seen no new TL's or RL's (not that I see many old RL's, even though they look quite good). Conversely, I see plenty of other new cars on the road (regular and luxury). People just aren't buying the new Acura's.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I can't get myself to love the TSX. It's not as offensive looking as the TL but I think Acura could've made it a lot better, especially concerning the details (no LEDs, plain looking headlights, matte black side mirror stalk instead of body colored or that shiny black plastic).
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I give up... I'm never buying another sporty fun car again. Honda, you win. No RWD for me. My next car is going to be a Insight.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
While I think Honda is taking away all the fun cars, I don't think they're taking the fun out of their cars. I mean, this still isn't Toyota we're talking about.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by neuronbob
One more comment:

Honda is cutting all the enthusiast stuff so that they can sell what makes them the most money--Accords and Civics. I think all this stuff will be back after the economic downturn improves. Honda won't lose the masses who feel cars are appliances, and Honda itself will certainly survive.

However, for an enthusiast like me with money to spend on fast luxury cars, Honda's potential decisions here are problematic. Enthusiasts like us are enthusiastic but we aren't the biggest moneymakers for Honda. So they may have made a decision to save the company.

I think you're right. Is Honda laying off or cutting hours for their employees? Does anyone know? We can all argue what's best for their company and what's not, but in reality they know what they're doing. They're a relatively small car company and keep charging along with the rest. I think a smaller line-up, less platforms and less engines is the way to go.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy Acura
Does this mean I own the only RWD Acura ever made?
Nope...plenty of Acura SLX drivers out there. :wink:
Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
4th tranny on a 3G?
Yes you read right. All warranty covered work thank God. Truth be told the second only lasted ~500 before the dealer realized the reman they put in was bad... thus the reason for the third... but still... Now that one developed the same problems as the original stock transmission that prompted me to go to the dealer in the first place.

So, I have a 09 TSX as a loaner all week... or two - depending on how long it takes them this time. Last time it was just shy of two weeks before I got my TL back.

I will say this does make for a nice extended test drive.

Back on topic though, I'm with the others... I still would like to see some sort of official press release from Honda before I buy into this internet gossip...
Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Nope...plenty of Acura SLX drivers out there. :wink:

I totally forgot about that stopgap midsize SUV offering from Acura. Fortunately for Acura, they hit a grand slam with its replacement, the MDX.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by F23A4
I totally forgot about that stopgap midsize SUV offering from Acura. Fortunately for Acura, they hit a grand slam with its replacement, the MDX.

It was back in the day when Honda was selling Isuzu SUV's because Honda refused to build a "truck". So Honda got Troopers and Rodeos from Isuzu, and Isuzu got the first gen Oddy (Oasis) from Honda.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 56 Likes on 42 Posts
At this rate I'm looking forward to the Acura version of the Fit. I was done with Acura years ago.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want to save money, buy a Honda Fit sport with manual as a commuter car and use the Civic Si for weekend duties. If you want 0-60, you can always get the Accord V6.

If you want to spend extra money on a fun car, just buy one with the Roundel. There's really only one choice, 135i.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Ah the Canadian only CSX!!! If the next TSX is truly going to be Civic based, I don't think the CSX will be around next generation, either that or the TSX won't be called the TSX in Canada.
If the next TSX is to be Civic based, then the Canadian-only CSX would be Fit based. Canadians traditionally have a much smaller disposable income than the American neighbors, and that's why the Canadian CSX will be here to stay for a long time to facilitate a much lower price for an entry-level Acura car in Canada.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
If the next TSX is to be Civic based, then the Canadian-only CSX would be Fit based. Canadians traditionally have a much smaller disposable income than the American neighbors, and that's why the Canadian CSX will be here to stay for a long time to facilitate a much lower price for an entry-level Acura car in Canada.
Acura's a premium brand so the CSX should just be killed. Weren't there rumors that this was the last generation CSX? Concerning everything else, I think it's coming down to the point where the whole brand may need to be folded. What little Acura has can easily be taken away, and there entire hope for a future has been dashed. The AutoCar article mentioned that the two Accords could become one model meaning no more TSX, and also that the future of the Honda Legend was unsure meaning that there possibly won't be another RL. Can Acura survive with just the TL and MDX (the RDX's future is probably bleak considering it's no where near matching it's targeted sales numbers). I don't know how the dealer network would be able to financially survive selling only two vehicles. Honda could just axe the brand and bring the TL to the Honda brand as a Maxima fighter. The next Accord will likely be smaller due to the fact that it will be a global car, so that would leave room for a big sporty flagship sedan for the Honda lineup.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Honda Reveal first Images and details of Concepts Heading for Tokyo Auto Salon

From Worldcarfans...

Honda Access Corporation*1, manufacturer of genuine Honda aftermarket parts and accessories, announced that it will feature two new Modulo*2 concept vehicles in its exhibition at the Tokyo Auto Salon 2009 with NAPAC*3, to be held from Friday, January 9, to Sunday, January 11, 2009, at Makuhari Messe in Chiba, Japan.

The two concept models express the new value that Sports Modulo customization has to offer. Their distinctive exterior styling features chiseled lines, while their interior design emphasizes the experience of driving an exceptional automobile.

The Sports Modulo S2000 Concept, based on the popular S2000 convertible roadster, is a sports car for connoisseurs who desire superior performance combined with a premium interior finish. The Sports Modulo Fit Concept is a compact yet sporty automobile that takes the fun, nimble driving experience of the Fit RS to an entirely new level.

In addition to the Sports Modulo concept vehicles, Honda Access will display Life and Crossroad Styling Study Models, a Racing Modulo Civic Type R competition vehicle and a selection of other automobiles and motorcycles featuring Honda's most advanced equipment. The exhibition will also present the latest Honda car navigation and audio systems and other genuine Honda accessories.

Honda vehicles on exhibit

<Concept model automobiles (2)>
Sports Modulo S2000 Concept
Sports Modulo Fit Concept

<Study model automobiles (2)>
Life Styling Study
Crossroad Styling Study

<Competition automobile (1)>
Racing Modulo Civic Type R (Ranked second in Super Taikyu Series 2008, ST-class 4)

<Motorcycle exhibited at Milan Show/EICMA 2007 (1)>
SH125 EDO

<Production automobiles (9)>
Sports Modulo Civic Type R, Touring Modulo Accord, Touring Modulo Accord Tourer, Modulo Odyssey Absolute, Modulo Odyssey, Life, Zest Spark, Freed, Fit Sports Neo

<Production motorcycles (3)>
CBR 1000RR, Shadow Classic 400, Forza X
Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 01-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Acura Vet

Quick! Someone kill that pink thing! LOL

I hope that this is just a rumor, because I will definitely have to be done with the brand.There are just too many great cars out there now. This move would be a serious regression. They should gamble on the future and building this Acura brand with tier 1 product. If not, then they need to do the humane thing and kill it off.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I think I found my next car, pink Life. what a sexy car.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess girls can drive at the age of 8 in Japan.

Quick Reply: Honda: Fleet news