Honda: Euro Accord news **Type S Revealed (page 2)**

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + TL
why aren't they introducing them here?? i don't understand.....
I still think it would be smart to bring it over, but I see their reasoning:

1) We first heard the AT diesel couldn't pass emissions. We were later told that was never true. I guess we are to assume this was not the case.

2) We then heard that Honda delayed diesels for NA because of the economy. For one, the platinum they need for their NOx system is very expensive. The raw materials would make the price premium thousands of dollars. The extra cost of the diesel coupled with the economic downturn made them change their minds.

3) Diesel fuel is more expensive than gas. Recently, Diesel has been more than gas. It has finally closed the gap and is very close in price, but for a while it was way above gas. Honda felt it would be hard to get people to buy the diesel when diesel is more than gas, even though the engine would be way more efficient.

4) Fuel prices have dropped dramatically. Right now, people are very unwilling to spend money. When fuel was up around $5/gallon, fuel economy was the primary concern of buyers, so an efficient diesel would have been a hit. Now, however, fuel is less of a concern, and base price is more of a concern. So with the price premium of a diesel and low fuel prices, it's a tougher sell.

I really hope they have this thing ready for launch in the US. At some point fuel prices will shoot up again, and they better be ready, because we will want the Diesel. I still badly want the Diesel, but maybe your average buyer doesn't at the moment. Honda is pretty conservative, so they're sticking with the thing Americans know -- V6 with loads of HP. It doesn't make complete sense to me b/c the V6 will probably cost as much as the diesel and will have vastly inferior fuel economy. But I'm not in the auto industry so what do I know.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Honda quietly unveiled the Type S performance model of its European Accord sedan and station wagon earlier today at the Geneva Motor Show. Based on the 2.2L i-DTEC diesel version of the Accord Euro, the new model promises to give buyers a little more performance while still delivering excellent fuel economy.

Called the Accord Euro Type S, the new model will hit the European market just after the Geneva debut. Power for the Type S will be sourced from the same 2.2L mill found in the standard diesel Accord, but will be massaged to deliver an extra 30 horsepower – bringing total power to 180 ponies. Torque is also up – 22 lb-ft to a stout 280 lb-ft – which should give the Accord Euro Type S some extra grunt off the line.

To add to the Type S’ sportier nature, Honda will fit the sedan with 18 inch wheels, clear turning indicators, special badging and will offer the Type S with two new exterior colors — White Pearl and Basque Red, both of which were shown at the Geneva show.

Although the Accord Euro is a completely separate car from the Accord model we get in the U.S., it is closely related to our Acura TSX. Acura has been contemplating offering a diesel-powered TSX in America, with the sportier Type S’ powerplant standing as the most logical candidate. However, Acura has reportedly put its U.S. diesel plans on hold due to emissions issues, so only time will tell.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
find somth special in this car is very hard... and the wheels are still ugly

Old 03-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,859 Likes on 14,004 Posts
Looks good IMO.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
looks like a TL wth the correct type of grill.......it's exactly the same body. not like the Euro accord and TL weren't the same car before.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Looks good IMO.