Highway Deaths Rise

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006 | 09:57 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Highway Deaths Rise

Highway Deaths Rise - - Source: The Car Connection

Motorcycle and pedestrian deaths led to an increase in highway fatalities in 2005, reports the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The agency says that total fatalities last year were 43,443, a 1.4-percent increase from the year prior when 42,836 people were killed in auto accidents. Accordingly the rate of deaths also rose from 1.45 per 100 million miles traveled to 1.47. While motorcycle fatalities were up 13 percent, and pedestrian fatalities were up, the number of younger drivers and children killed in auto accidents fell.

The NHTSA report also found the following:

-The number of young drivers (16-20) killed declined by 4.6 percent, from 3538 to 3374

-Fatal crashes involving young drivers declined by 6.3 percent, from 7431 to 6964

-The number of children 0-15 dying in crashes dropped from 2622 in 2004 to 2348 in 2005

-And the number of people injured in motor vehicle crashes declined 3.2 percent, from 2.8 million in 2004 to 2.7 million in 2005.
Old 08-23-2006 | 09:58 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Man why is this happening with vehicles being safer than ever and highways busier than ever which means going faster is very unlikely? These stats will for sure make cops increase speed traps.
Old 08-23-2006 | 10:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gavriil
Man why is this happening with vehicles being safer than ever and highways busier than ever which means going faster is very unlikely? These stats will for sure make cops increase speed traps.
People are using cars more and the number of vehicles on the road is increasing.
Old 08-23-2006 | 10:22 AM
Race Director

All of the increase is due to biker fatalities. While the biker fatalities were up, the number of bikers on the road went up even more. Bike sales have been going up for 10 years with over 300% increase in the last 10 years. And as everyone knows, riding a bike is inherently more danegerous than driving a cage. Having a bunch of guys riding helment-less doesn't help matters.

Biker, who hopes he never becomes one of these stats.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (03-04-2021)
Old 08-23-2006 | 10:24 AM
Registered Type-S Owner

yesterday i saw a car hitting a motorcyclist right infront of me, shocking
- car was going like 15km/hr but the impact was so big, the sound and reactions
- car was old nissan something that i can't even recognize, but the driver was so crazy, he didn't shoulder check and just came out from the side walk parking, hitting motocylist, i think he was on drugs or something b/c even after the accident, the guy looked calm,
n.e.ways, not highway related, but still accidents......sucks
Old 08-23-2006 | 10:32 AM
Senior Moderator

why are there pedestrian deaths on the highway
Old 08-23-2006 | 10:40 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by cTLgo
Exactly

So, overall deaths rose by .02% but the statistics that have the IIHS running around screaming that the sky is falling because speed limits are up actually show no correlation between speed limits and fatalities.

Hmm, I guess we won't hear much from the IIHS about this report
Old 08-23-2006 | 10:41 AM
Race Director

Hitch hikers get run over?
Old 08-23-2006 | 11:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Maximized
People are using cars more and the number of vehicles on the road is increasing.
They compare these numbers to the number of miles driven which is the ultimate criteron to measure against.
Old 08-23-2006 | 11:25 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Baby Boomers. That generation is getting old...and they are still driving. Highway death tolls will continue to rise in the coming years due to more "oldies" on the road. IMHO.
Old 08-23-2006 | 09:25 PM
Racer

I don't know where you live, but here in California many of our highways are actually just wide city streets...like Beach Blvd. which is Highway 39...
Old 08-23-2006 | 09:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

That's funny, didn't we just have a thread that claimed the reverse?
Old 08-23-2006 | 11:01 PM
Drifting

i would think many factors are involved here.

city planning
distractions while driving
weather
time of day
speed limits

just to name a few...
Old 08-23-2006 | 11:04 PM
Drifting

maybe you're thinking about expressways?

we have plenty of highways here. they are just like any street, except with more lanes, and less traffic lights per km.

expressways? well, i wouldn't expect any pedestrian deaths, unless a car flips over the guard rails and barriers (highly unlikely, but can happen).
Old 08-24-2006 | 08:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by biker
All of the increase is due to biker fatalities. While the biker fatalities were up, the number of bikers on the road went up even more. Bike sales have been going up for 10 years with over 300% increase in the last 10 years. And as everyone knows, riding a bike is inherently more danegerous than driving a cage. Having a bunch of guys riding helment-less doesn't help matters.

Biker, who hopes he never becomes one of these stats.

Ya, I had some of the same thoughts as I was reading the article. Recently riding has become a fad with the discovery channel shows and all of the chopper shows on other channels. I'd like to see stastics for crashes on crotch rockets vs. cruisers. I personally see a lot of the deaths comming from the fearless guys in their early 20's riding motorcycles way beyond their ability. But I could be wrong, it could be all the old guys buying choppers/custom harleys and crashing them. Either way I'd like to see the numbers.

On the positive note, all of the yuppies who bought their trophy bikes will be sick of them when the fad dies. So they'll be a huge influx of cheap barely used motorcycles on the market in the next 5 years or so...
Old 08-24-2006 | 08:30 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by gavriil
It's my belief that ignorance and larger vehicles is to blame for a large percentage of it. People drive their SUV like it's a sports car. I think most people can agree that SUV owners and or Large modified truck owners tend to be aggressive drivers on the road. A large percentage of these vehicle owners drive defensively like they own the road.

Things I see that lead to more fatalities are this:

Bumper Height on Trucks/SUV. They are are WAY to high on these vehicles. On a side impact the bumper of an SUV or Truck is above the door line of most vehicles. Trucks/SUVs that have been raised above the stock ride height add are an additional risk to other vehicles on the road. More and more of these vehicles exist on the roads today.

Wheel Upgrades EVERYONE has to have 20" or larger wheels today. However hardly anyone upgrades their braking system. Which is 100% necessary if you install a larger diameter wheel/tire combo. Big wheels and a panic stop = WAY more stress on the braking systems vs. the stock wheels. It's simple leverage, the larger the diameter the tires/wheels are from the stock setup the more leverage you will be applying on the braking system.

ignorance Your SUV/Truck WILL NOT stop faster than a car. This is especially true if you upgraded your wheels and neglected to upgrade your brakes. I see people driving like they are invincible in bad weather. STOP riding people’s asses in your truck, especially in foul weather. You have a 100% probability of crashing into someone if they panic stop.

bad driving habits It seems people do not know how to follow the 2 second rule or anything down the highway. Also when you stop at a stop light if you can't see the persons rear tires, guess what? YOUR TOO DAMB CLOSE, BACK OFF. This also applies for driving down the highway, I see large packs of idiots all tailgating one another. That's a disaster waiting to happen. I personally blame most of this on drivers ignorance and lack of enforcement from the police department. And for you kids or overgrown kids (adults) reading this, the roads are NOT a racecourse. STOP driving like it's a free for all race; darting in and out of traffic BUYS YOU JACK AND SHIT! And jack just left town. I always laugh when I catch up to you idiots by simply following traffic.

STOP giving away drivers licenses we need to make it 10x more difficult to get a drivers license. And this I blame on the state(s). Wake up...

While safety increases at a decent pace, ignorance seems to increase faster....
Comfy (03-04-2021)
Old 08-24-2006 | 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SiGGy
It's my belief that ignorance and larger vehicles is to blame for a large percentage of it. People drive their SUV like it's a sports car. I think most people can agree that SUV owners and or Large modified truck owners tend to be aggressive drivers on the road. A large percentage of these vehicle owners drive defensively like they own the road.

Bumper Height on Trucks/SUV. They are are WAY to high on these vehicles. On a side impact the bumper of an SUV or Truck is above the door line of most vehicles. Trucks/SUVs that have been raised above the stock ride height add are an additional risk to other vehicles on the road. More and more of these vehicles exist on the roads today.

Wheel Upgrades EVERYONE has to have 20" or larger wheels today. However hardly anyone upgrades their braking system. Which is 100% necessary if you install a larger diameter wheel/tire combo. Big wheels and a panic stop = WAY more stress on the braking systems vs. the stock wheels. It's simple leverage, the larger the diameter the tires/wheels are from the stock setup the more leverage you will be applying on the braking system.

ignorance Your SUV/Truck WILL NOT stop faster than a car. This is especially true if you upgraded your wheels and neglected to upgrade your brakes. I see people driving like they are invincible in bad weather. STOP riding people’s asses in your truck, especially in foul weather. You have a 100% probability of crashing into someone if they panic stop.

bad driving habits It seems people do not know how to follow the 2 second rule or anything down the highway. Also when you stop at a stop light if you can't see the persons rear tires, guess what? YOUR TOO DAMB CLOSE, BACK OFF. This also applies for driving down the highway, I see large packs of idiots all tailgating one another. That's a disaster waiting to happen. I personally blame most of this on drivers ignorance and lack of enforcement from the police department. And for you kids or overgrown kids (adults) reading this, the roads are NOT a racecourse. STOP driving like it's a free for all race; darting in and out of traffic BUYS YOU JACK AND SHIT! And jack just left town. I always laugh when I catch up to you idiots by simply following traffic.

STOP giving away drivers licenses we need to make it 10x more difficult to get a drivers license. And this I blame on the state(s). Wake up...

Although bad driving habits encompasses so much more than posted (i.e.: driving well below the speed limit in the left lane of a major interstate when there is plenty of room to go quicker without speeding OR drive the slower speed in the right lanes, etc,...) , I definitely agree with your 'STOP giving away drivers licenses comment.' (Although making the driver's test any more difficult might incur the wrath of the ACLU. )
Comfy (03-04-2021)
Old 08-24-2006 | 09:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by F23A4
Although bad driving habits encompasses so much more than posted (i.e.: driving well below the speed limit in the left lane of a major interstate when there is plenty of room to go quicker without speeding OR drive the slower speed in the right lanes, etc,...) , I definitely agree with your 'STOP giving away drivers licenses comment.' (Although making the driver's test any more difficult might incur the wrath of the ACLU. )

For sure, with enough time I'm sure we could build a pretty comprehensive list. I just hit on the ones I've seen with the recent consumer/fad patterns.
Old 08-24-2006 | 02:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I agree.
Old 08-24-2006 | 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 08-25-2006 | 12:45 AM
Pro

rant rant rant ...
Yup. Was on the 101 with some SUV riding my ass, and the car in front of me hit the brakes. I did too and I would've made it, but I heard tires screeching and saw the SUV wobbling all over the lane, and I swerved into the median. The SUV plowed into the back of the guy who was in front of me.

Good times.
Old 08-25-2006 | 08:58 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

None of this addresses that the only fatalities that rose were pedestrians and motorcycles.

Our highways are safer. Period.
Old 08-25-2006 | 10:24 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by shrykhar
Yup. Was on the 101 with some SUV riding my ass, and the car in front of me hit the brakes. I did too and I would've made it, but I heard tires screeching and saw the SUV wobbling all over the lane, and I swerved into the median. The SUV plowed into the back of the guy who was in front of me.

Good times.
That's cool you could react so quickly. I probably would've just froze at the sound of screeching tires.
Old 03-04-2021 | 09:38 PM
Race Director

The increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924, according to a report from the National Safety Council (NSC). More than 42,000 people are estimated to have died on U.S. roadways last year, the largest motor vehicle death tally in 13 years.

The NSC estimates that in 2020:
  • 42,060 people died in crashes, eclipsing 2019's estimate of 39,107 — an 8% increase.
  • Yet vehicle miles traveled fell 13% compared to 2019, from 3.26 trillion to 2.83 trillion.
  • The mileage death rate was 1.49 deaths per 100 million miles traveled, up 24% from 1.20 in 2019.
  • The annual population death rate was 12.8 deaths per 100,000 people, up from 11.9 in 2019.
  • The NSC also said car crashes caused 4.8 million injuries requiring medical treatment. The injury-to-death ratio was 114:1.
  • The estimated cost of deaths, injuries, and property damage to American society in 2020 was $474.4 billion.
The nonprofit did not offer any specific explanation why deaths increased despite fewer miles traveled, but local agencies have blamed the pandemic for an upward trend in speeding infractions and traffic fatalities beginning in the second quarter of 2020.

NSC's reported fatality totals are higher than those suggested by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) for two reasons. For starters, NSC includes deaths that happen on private roads (including parking lots and driveways), whereas NHTSA only reports fatalities that occur on public roads and highways. NHTSA also excludes any deaths that occur more than 30 days following the precipitating accident, allowing the agency to "close the books" and file a final report eight months after the close of the calendar year in question; NSC, on the other hand, tracks deaths on a rolling, 12-month basis to eliminate the need for such a sharp cutoff. The gulf between the Council's estimates and the government's is therefore between 1,700 and 2,900 per year, on average. As you can see in the above chart, while the totals are different, the trends are virtually identical.

"It is tragic that in the U.S., we took cars off the roads and didn't reap any safety benefits," said NSC President and CEO Lorraine M. Martin. "These data expose our lack of an effective roadway safety culture. It is past time to address roadway safety holistically and effectively, and NSC stands ready to assist all stakeholders, including the federal government."

The NSC says that only nine states saw a decline in road fatalities:
  • Alaska (-3%)
  • Delaware (-11%)
  • Hawaii (-20%)
  • Idaho (-7%)
  • Maine (-1%)
  • Nebraska (-9%)
  • New Mexico (-4%)
  • North Dakota (-1%)
  • Wyoming (-13%)
Meanwhile, seven states and the District of Columbia saw large swings (> 15%) in the other direction:
  • Arkansas (+26%)
  • Connecticut (+22%)
  • District of Columbia (+33%)
  • Georgia (+18%)
  • Mississippi (+19%)
  • Rhode Island (+26%)
  • South Dakota (+33%)
  • Vermont (+32%)
Traffic deaths rose in 2020 despite unprecedented decline in road travel | Autoblog