GM Powertrain Unveils 3.6-Liter VVT Engine With DI (page 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
GM Powertrain Unveils 3.6-Liter VVT Engine With DI (page 2)

Motor Trend mag is reporting that GM is working on a new fuel system for their V6 DOHC engines that in the case of the 3.6L V6 used in the CTS, STS, LaCrosse, etc. is believed to add 50HP (to 305HP total).

Old 06-08-2005, 11:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Looks like they've caught up.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
Looks like they've caught up.
And even that can be barely stated. Toyota is at 310 HP from 3.5 liters in the IS350. It is DI but still...I should not care as an unbiased customer. GM find a way to meet, if not beat the competition.

Plus this should have been the power peak (305HP) when the engine was introduced. One can almost say "too little too late".
Old 06-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Sounds like GM is getting into the direct injection game.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Sounds like GM is getting into the direct injection game.

I dont know if that's DI. It's not clearly shown it might be from the blurb in the mag.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Now only if they can get more than 240 out of a 3.9L pushrod
Old 06-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gavriil
I dont know if that's DI. It's not clearly shown it might be from the blurb in the mag.
Unless GM is working on something completely proprietary (which makes no sense since they're hemorrhaging money these days), I can't think of another way to modify just an injection system and produce a 50 hp bump in power.

Now, if they're making other modifications to the motor, then it might be something else.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Kabachitare!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah but when will it come out? 2 years from now? Seems like too little too late...
Old 06-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 305 hp CTS is exactly what I need.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Yeah...that'll be great in 2 year when you can get a 350+ hp G35...
Old 06-08-2005, 02:00 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
now what about a 6-speed auto? its already in the new 9-3
Old 06-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
What makes that engine even more rediculous on paper is that not only it makes mediocre power, but also it makes very little torque when one considers its displacement but also its pushrod design. I mean at 3.9 "pushroded" liters, one should get at least 280 pounds. This thing gets 241 pounds. Totally unacceptable in my opinion. And what does GM do? They put it in an SS badged car. Wrong move. Such a move totally delutes the brand.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Unless GM is working on something completely proprietary (which makes no sense since they're hemorrhaging money these days), I can't think of another way to modify just an injection system and produce a 50 hp bump in power.

Now, if they're making other modifications to the motor, then it might be something else.
I know but they have done something similar recently (priopriatery-wise that is). The supercharger in the STSV/XLRV is totally of their own interpretation. Very unique.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Why not go with a G35 sedan 6MT? It's available now and it's priced right.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Infamous425
now what about a 6-speed auto? its already in the new 9-3
And the STSV.

The 6 speed will be in numerous GM models within a few months.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not go with a G35 sedan 6MT? It's available now and it's priced right.
The styling on the G35 looks a little dated to me. Personally I'd rather get a Legacy GT and mod the car than get a G35.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Safety Car

And even that can be barely stated. Toyota is at 310 HP from 3.5 liters in the IS350. It is DI but still...I should not care as an unbiased customer. GM find a way to meet, if not beat the competition.

Plus this should have been the power peak (305HP) when the engine was introduced. One can almost say "too little too late".
It really depends on the application of the engine, is it in addition to the 255 version or a replacement? If its in addition, yea they are just keeping up and it will be at 40k. If its a replacement, think they are ahead of the game- it will be at 30k going against a 200hp lexus.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:22 PM
Safety Car

Still, it keeps them in the game, though I hate to see them get so close to still be behind (even if it's 5HP). This engine is good news, and should be offered in addition to the 255HP version. If they were smart, they'd spread this 3.6L, DOCH DI engine around. It should be spread to atleast the Buick and Caddy (already there) lineups; give the Buick a 280-5HP version so it doesn't encroach on Caddy. The Aura's gonna get this engine @255HP. Give it to a Pontiac, too...
Old 06-09-2005, 03:57 AM
Race Director

Received 626 Likes on 505 Posts
The CTS is one of the few cars GM has little trouble selling - it is only beat out by the TL in its class in sales (about 6K/mo). But for the 310HP IS350, a 305HP CTS will be at the top of the class - for now. I have a feeling this won't debut until the CTS makeover in a couple of years. There's got to be more than just simply adding DI to bump the power that much. 305HP out of 3.6L is nothing to sneeze at - especially for GM who most of the time adds displacement instead of upping the HP on the same block. A 6MT CTS w/305 HP for 32K is pretty tempting.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

Originally Posted by biker
But for the 310HP IS350, a 305HP CTS will be at the top of the class - for now. I have a feeling this won't debut until the CTS makeover in a couple of years. There's got to be more than just simply adding DI to bump the power that much. 305HP out of 3.6L is nothing to sneeze at - especially for GM who most of the time adds displacement instead of upping the HP on the same block. A 6MT CTS w/305 HP for 32K is pretty tempting
I doubt it would go for 32k....I'm speculating that it'll be in the $38-40k area. That said, I wonder how Nissan will enhance the VQ35 seeing as Acura, Lexus and Caddy will boast more powerful 3.5L V6s.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:55 AM
Suzuka Master

You guys might be suprised at this engine. Direct Injection(which is probably what they are mentioning??) increases throttle response, plus increases fuel efficiency. Basically, this system allows for precise combustion within each cylinder. Also, remember that although this "mystery" engine might be 5hp short on power, it's the area under the curve that matters. GM engines usually have a nice power curve.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by heyitsme
It really depends on the application of the engine, is it in addition to the 255 version or a replacement? If its in addition, yea they are just keeping up and it will be at 40k. If its a replacement, think they are ahead of the game- it will be at 30k going against a 200hp lexus.
It may as well be "in addition" to the 255HP engine. Notice that if it is, the current engine goes head to head with the new BMW 3.0 engine's output.

There was talk of Cadillac supercharging a V6 to get to the 300HP mark. Maybe now they will get this "super injected" engine against the 3.5L from Toyota/Lexus, keep the current 3.6L with 255 to go against the 3.0s from Lexus and BMW and supercharge one of them to go against the rumored 335i which will be turbocharged and make around 320HP. Of course that would mean (at least for the STS) that their 4.6 will be significantly uprated also. Both in displacement and power. Let's see what they do.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by titan
Still, it keeps them in the game, though I hate to see them get so close to still be behind (even if it's 5HP). This engine is good news, and should be offered in addition to the 255HP version. If they were smart, they'd spread this 3.6L, DOCH DI engine around. It should be spread to atleast the Buick and Caddy (already there) lineups; give the Buick a 280-5HP version so it doesn't encroach on Caddy. The Aura's gonna get this engine @255HP. Give it to a Pontiac, too...

It is spread between Buick and Caddy and as you said even Saturn. The LaCrosse gets it and I am sure the Lucerne will.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The CTS is one of the few cars GM has little trouble selling - it is only beat out by the TL in its class in sales (about 6K/mo). But for the 310HP IS350, a 305HP CTS will be at the top of the class - for now. I have a feeling this won't debut until the CTS makeover in a couple of years. There's got to be more than just simply adding DI to bump the power that much. 305HP out of 3.6L is nothing to sneeze at - especially for GM who most of the time adds displacement instead of upping the HP on the same block. A 6MT CTS w/305 HP for 32K is pretty tempting.
I doubt it will cost 32K with such an engine. Caddy is following the German lux. makers in other ways other than trying to match performance and tech. And that is pricing. Caddies are not cheap any more, especially when you up them with options. Not as expensive as the German offerings but they aint "value props" to put it one way.

I suspect that a 305HP V6 CTS will start at 39K and it will sell at 44K nicely equipped.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Also if this engine is truly making 305HP from 3.6 liters it should be a revver (at least compared to GM standards). Which is something GM badly needs. They need to sprove they can make high revving engines that make lots of HP from smaller displacements, IN ADDITION to the pushrods.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Maximized
You guys might be suprised at this engine. Direct Injection(which is probably what they are mentioning??) increases throttle response, plus increases fuel efficiency. Basically, this system allows for precise combustion within each cylinder. Also, remember that although this "mystery" engine might be 5hp short on power, it's the area under the curve that matters. GM engines usually have a nice power curve.
True.

But currently, GM has a huge PR/image problem. They need to make sure that both in-spec and in-practice they deliver great product. If I were there, I'd demand the product is superior to all before released. And in the case of the Caddy, I would not care if Caddy loses money doing it. They have a TON to prove at GM. Yesterday!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Suzuka Master

True.

But currently, GM has a huge PR/image problem. They need to make sure that both in-spec and in-practice they deliver great product. If I were there, I'd demand the product is superior to all before released. And in the case of the Caddy, I would not care if Caddy loses money doing it. They have a TON to prove at GM. Yesterday!
Caddy has a lot of promise, but they need to focus on interior quality. You can easily see that the Cadillac has inferior quality materials compared to Lexus or BMW, for example.

I do agree that all of GM's lines need to be the leader in hp among their respective classes. Look back a couple of years and this was exactly what Nissan did. GM needs a few premium engines to spread across its line, like Nissan did with the VQ. They also need a blitz of new products over the next couple of years. The problem with GM is that they are too slow to move because of all the beauracracy.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Safety Car

It is spread between Buick and Caddy and as you said even Saturn. The LaCrosse gets it and I am sure the Lucerne will.
I was really nitpicking, because that should be the only V6 for the Lacrose, IMO. And right now the Lucerne gets the 3800, though it'll probably get the 3.6 eventually. Another big fuck up. They should have given the Luceren the 3.6 at launch.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Safety Car

GM Powertrain Unveils 3.6-Liter VVT Engine With DI

PONTIAC , Mich. – GM Powertrain announced today it will deliver a 3.6-liter V-6 gasoline engine with direct injection and variable valve timing (VVT) technologies in the 2008 model year. A vehicle application will be announced later in the year.

Additionally, it was forecast that by the end of 2008, GM will produce as many as 200,000 vehicles globally with direct injection technology, and by 2010, GM projects one out of every six GM vehicles in North America will be equipped with a direct injection engine.

The application of direct injection technology to the 3.6-liter VVT engine – a member of GM Powertrain’s family of high-feature V-6 powerplants used on cars and trucks around the world – contributes greatly to a 15-percent increase in horsepower over the current levels that range from 240 to 267; an 8-percent increase in torque, and up to a 3-percent improvement in brake-specific fuel consumption (BSFC). An approximate 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions is also achieved.

With direct injection, precisely metered fuel is delivered directly to the combustion chamber, which has a cooling effect in the chamber. Cooling the incoming air charge enables a higher compression ratio, which also improves engine efficiency. Less fuel is required to produce the equivalent horsepower of a conventional port injection combustion system.

“The 3.6-liter VVT with direct injection will be our highest specific output non-turbocharged V-6 engine, as well as one of the most fuel-efficient offerings in our high-feature family,” said Tim Cyrus, chief engineer for high feature V-6 and Northstar V-8 engines. “It’s the latest example of our strategy to continue to reduce emissions and improve fuel economy without sacrificing performance.”

This is GM’s third engine with gasoline direct injection. The announcement of the 3.6L VVT V-6 with direct injection comes on the heels of the introduction of GM Powertrain’s Ecotec 2.0-liter four-cylinder Turbo engine with direct injection on the 2007 Saturn Sky Red Line and Pontiac Solstice GXP roadsters. Also, since 2004, a naturally aspirated Ecotec 2.2-liter direct injection engine is equipped on Opel models in Europe.

How direct injection works

Direct injection differs from the fuel delivery process of a conventional engine by delivering fuel directly into the engine cylinder, where it is mixed with air. The combustion process of conventional fuel injected engines uses air and fuel that partially evaporates in the intake port or intake manifold prior to being introduced into the combustion chamber. Direct injection is a continuation of the evolutionary process of moving the fuel introduction point closer to the cylinder to improve control.

With the 3.6-liter VVT with direct injection, fuel is introduced directly to the cylinder during the intake stroke. As the piston approaches top-dead center, the mixture is ignited by the spark plug.

The fuel injectors are located beneath the intake ports. The intake ports only transfer air, unlike port fuel injection, which flows air and fuel, thus increasing efficiency. D irect injection also permits a slightly higher compression ratio than if the fuel were delivered with conventional fuel injection. The result is better fuel consumption at part and full throttle. The engine uses conventional spark plugs similar to other high-feature V6 engines.

A high-pressure, returnless fuel system is employed. It features a high-strength stainless steel fuel line that feeds a variable-pressure fuel rail. Direct injection requires higher fuel pressure than conventional fuel injected engines and an engine-driven high-pressure fuel pump is used to supply up to 1,740 psi (120 bar) of pressure. The system regulates lower fuel pressure at idle – approximately 508 psi (35 bar) and higher pressure at wide-open throttle. The exhaust cam-driven high-pressure pump works in conjunction with a conventional fuel tank-mounted supply pump.

Direct injection’s fuel delivery enables very efficient combustion to help reduce emissions, particularly on cold starts – the time when most tailpipe emissions are typically created. Also, direct injection permits a higher compression ratio – greater than 11.0:1 in the case of the 3.6 – which has a positive influence on fuel economy.

3.6-liter VVT DI

The 3.6-liter VVT DI is based on GM Powertrain’s sophisticated 60-degree dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-6 engine. It is the latest member of a growing family of GM Powertrain V-6 engines developed for applications around the world, drawing on the best practices and creative expertise of GM technical centers in Australia, Germany, North America and Sweden.

Features found on the 3.6-liter VVT DI include:

-Aluminum engine block and cylinder heads
-Dual overhead cams with four valves per cylinder and silent chain primary drive
-High-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump
-Advanced multi-outlet fuel injectors developed to withstand high pressure and heat
-Stainless steel, variable pressure fuel rail
-Four-cam phasing (VVT – see description below)
-11.3:1 compression ratio
-Aluminum pistons with floating wrist pins and oil squirters
-Polymer coated piston skirts
-Forged steel crankshaft
-Sinter-forged connecting rods
-Structural cast-aluminum oil pan with steel baffles
-Electronic throttle control with integrated cruise control
-Coil-on-plug ignition
-Advanced direct injection capable engine control module (ECM)
-Optimized exhaust manifolds with close-coupled catalytic converters
-Fully isolated composite camshaft covers
-Outstanding noise, vibration and harshness control
-Maximum durability with minimum maintenance
-Common manufacturing practices for efficiency and exceptional quality
-Four-cam phasing

The 3.6-liter V-6 VVT DI employs four-cam phasing to change the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. The result is linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (maximum horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response and driveability. When combined, direct injection and cam phasing technologies enable an unmatched combination of power, efficiency and low-emissions in gasoline V-6 engines.

Cam phasing pays big dividends in reducing exhaust emissions by optimizing exhaust valve overlap and eliminating the need for a separate exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system.

By closing the exhaust valves late at appropriate times, the cam phasers allow the engine to draw the desired amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber, reducing unburned hydrocarbon emissions. The return of exhaust gases also decreases peak temperatures, which contributes to the reduction of oxides of nitrogen (NO x) emissions. In tandem with the dramatic 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions brought on by direct injection, the 3.6-liter VVT DI V-6 surpasses all emissions mandates, and does so without complex, weight-increasing emissions control systems such as EGR and air injection reaction (AIR).
Old 05-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Safety Car

The highest output the 3.6L makes now will be 267HP from the new Outlook. 267HP x 15% = 307HP. 255HP x 15% = 293HP. The 3.6-Liter VVT Engine With DI should be the standard V6 in every Buick and Caddy V6 application. 307HP for Caddy, 293HP for Buick. Similarly, Caddy should get a V8 pronto rivaling the LS's 4.6L V8 making 380HP. Again, Buick should get a version of it, detuned 10-15HP. The next CTS should be introduced with 300+ HP.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Racer

this is good news...can't wait to see this engine in the new caddy.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Sounds very nice. GM usually makes pretty good powertrains, even their old pushrod designs
Old 05-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,662 Likes on 927 Posts
The 3.6-liter VVT DI is based on GM Powertrain’s sophisticated 60-degree dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-6 engine. It is the latest member of a growing family of GM Powertrain V-6 engines developed for applications around the world, drawing on the best practices and creative expertise of GM technical centers in Australia, Germany, North America and Sweden.

Features found on the 3.6-liter VVT DI include:

-Aluminum engine block and cylinder heads
-Dual overhead cams with four valves per cylinder and silent chain primary drive
-High-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump
-Advanced multi-outlet fuel injectors developed to withstand high pressure and heat
-Stainless steel, variable pressure fuel rail
-Four-cam phasing (VVT – see description below)
-11.3:1 compression ratio
-Aluminum pistons with floating wrist pins and oil squirters
-Polymer coated piston skirts
-Forged steel crankshaft
-Sinter-forged connecting rods
-Structural cast-aluminum oil pan with steel baffles
-Electronic throttle control with integrated cruise control
-Coil-on-plug ignition
-Advanced direct injection capable engine control module (ECM)
-Optimized exhaust manifolds with close-coupled catalytic converters
-Fully isolated composite camshaft covers
-Outstanding noise, vibration and harshness control
-Maximum durability with minimum maintenance
-Common manufacturing practices for efficiency and exceptional quality
-Four-cam phasing
^^^ Looks like GM is starting to see the light. A CTS with that motor would be hot.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Race Director

Received 626 Likes on 505 Posts
Isn't this the same 3.6 V6 that is in the CTS now? They just added DI to it?

Then we can assume they'll add DI to the 2.8L V6 also - a new gen CTS with the 2.8V6 w/DI making about 240HP and a 6MT for about 30K would be a nice car.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Safety Car

Isn't this the same 3.6 V6 that is in the CTS now? They just added DI to it?

Then we can assume they'll add DI to the 2.8L V6 also - a new gen CTS with the 2.8V6 w/DI making about 240HP and a 6MT for about 30K would be a nice car.
Agreed. It's logical to assume the 2.8L will get this treatment soon. I think a $30K 240HP with 6MT would be nice also.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

For me this engine is already underpowered, especially when considering that it's a year from being available at dealers' lots. It should be making at least 325HP SAE Certified.

However, if you think that Caddy makes as much power as the BMW engine in the x35i cars but normally aspirated (actually slightly more), one can see the overall progress within GM.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I wonder if this engine will make it in the G6 also. We already know the non DI 3.6L will.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Safety Car

For me this engine is already underpowered, especially when considering that it's a year from being available at dealers' lots. It should be making at least 325HP SAE Certified.

However, if you think that Caddy makes as much power as the BMW engine in the x35i cars but normally aspirated (actually slightly more), one can see the overall progress within GM.
I don't think 300-330hp is underpowered by anymeans for another 4years- the is350 is low fives which is just plain fast for this type of car especially an auto-non performance label. Sames goes for the new caddy, but they need to keep on their toes better.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sdho
this is good news...can't wait to see this engine in the new caddy.
The engine was never a concern of mine, I wouldn't care if the new car still made around 260hp as long as the quality inside and out, the style inside and out was there. That would make a winner.

Hp doesn't make a car in this segment. Like all the people who think RWD makes a car in this segment while the TL/Es pass by the new 3-series/ g35 whatever.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,774 Likes on 13,968 Posts
GM invests $170 million in RWD/AWD six-speed auto

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/...ix-speed-auto/

General Motors announced today it will invest $170 million in its Ypsilanti transmission facility for additional capacity to produce its family of Hydra-Matic six-speed rear-, and all-wheel drive automatic transmissions. “This new investment in the Ypsilanti powertrain facility demonstrates GM’s confidence that UAW Local 735 members build a world-class quality six-speed RWD transmission,” said Richard Shoemaker, UAW vice president and director of the GM Department. The Hydra-Matic 6L50 from Ypsilanti Transmission Operations will debut in certain 2007 Cadillac STS rear- and all-wheel drive performance sedans and the V8-powered SRX crossover SUV. The 6L50 also uses the Driver Shift Control feature, which allows the driver to shift the transmission like a clutchless manual gearbox.

“The six-speed automatic is a best-of-both-worlds scenario, delivering great fuel economy and improved performance,” said John Buttermore, GM Powertrain vice president of manufacturing. “It is almost like having two transmissions in one – the high numerical first gear provides tremendous off-the-line acceleration, but the transmission is able to use the six gears to evenly distribute the torque and settle at an overdrive gear that helps deliver great fuel economy.

“On behalf of GM, I commend the United Auto Workers, UAW Local 735, and local and state leaders for helping to provide the business case and securing the necessary incentives to support this investment in six-speed transmission production.”

“This new investment in the Ypsilanti powertrain facility demonstrates GM’s confidence that UAW Local 735 members build a world-class quality six-speed RWD transmission,” said Richard Shoemaker, UAW vice president and director of the GM Department.

“Six speed transmissions improve fuel economy and engine performance, and we’re pleased that UAW Local 735 members will be expanding production of these important components for GM cars and trucks.”

“Technology is the driving force of Michigan ’s automotive future,” Governor Jennifer M. Granholm said. “We are pleased to have worked closely with General Motors to bring this very high-tech development to Michigan and retain jobs in Ypsilanti.”

“From both a social and an economic standpoint, Ypsilanti Transmission Operations is a vitally important part of our community, and we were pleased to support the incentives necessary for preserving jobs and making the plant competitive for future production,” said Ypsilanti Township Supervisor Ruth Ann Jamnick. “This cooperation benefits GM and the YTO workforce, as well as the citizens of Ypsilanti Township.”

Kingsley P. Wootton, GM Powertrain Ypsilanti Transmission Operations plant manager, said the investment helps ensure that the plant will continue to be an important part of the community. “Our strong partnership with the UAW and Local 735 resulted in an innovative work agreement that helped usher in a new era of competitively produced world-class six-speed transmissions.”

“A new team concept arrangement was developed for six-speed production, which includes hourly members of UAW Local 735 and salaried employees. The team concept includes cohesive teams of four to six members, with a designated leader that assists the team, ensuring an efficient operation. Team members work with engineering personnel to provide input on product design and its impact on manufacturing, with a goal of ‘zero defects.’ A heightened safety initiative, with a workplace goal of ‘zero incidents,’ is also included in the team concept arrangement.”

Quick Reply: GM Powertrain Unveils 3.6-Liter VVT Engine With DI (page 2)