Fukui promises "NO RIVAL EXISTS" for upcoming NSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fukui promises "NO RIVAL EXISTS" for upcoming NSX

Detroit Auto Show.

In today's presentation to a standing room only crowd at the Detroit Auto Show, Honda President and CEO Takeo Fukui threw down the gauntlet by stating the upcoming NSX will have no rivals. The following is a quote from his speech. We will post the full text of the speec laterj.

"This type of commitment is also the reason we make vehicles like the Acura NSX and Honda S2000. The production volume is small, but the value is high - both for our customers and for the Honda engineers who develop these vehicles. And that is the thinking behind the HSC concept car that you can see at the Acura stand. This model will serve as the basis for the next generation NSX you will see within a few years. :We are committed to achieve the industry best performance, . NO RIVAL EXISTS FOR THIS VEHICLE "

from Temple of Vtec.

Watch your ass Enzo, the NSX is Coming!
Old 01-05-2004, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

ok guys, i'm really getting excited. i mean, really
Old 01-05-2004, 11:25 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as long as they're talking about the performance not the looks of it. Cause that thing is nasty
Old 01-06-2004, 12:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tony4311
as long as they're talking about the performance not the looks of it. Cause that thing is nasty
Dude...Have you seen it in person? I haven't either, but I like it from the pic's. A week from today I hope to have some pic's from the NAIAS. When I see it in the flesh, I'll make my decision as far as just how cool it is. Until then I'll reserve judgement. I'll agree there are a couple of cosmetic tweaks that would put it over the top. That being said, it's highly unlikely that this is the exact car we'll see in production. That's the purpose of a concept car. It's to gauge public opinion on what you like about it and don't like about it. I'm relatively sure the new NSX will be the SHIT. I know Honda doesn't want to blow it with this car. If I was a rich bastard, I'd already have a deposit down.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:26 AM
Racer

So, will the NSX move down in price, or stay around the $90k mark? I dare not say it'll go up...but whatever. Bring it!!!
Old 01-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Stokeless

i wanna see some performance specs....hopefully 400 hp + motor at the minimum
Old 01-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Instructor

That is a bold statement, considering what is out now, and what will be out by the time the new NSX debuts. IMO I don't think he was stressing performance when he said that. I hope that he was talking about the total package (looks, performance, technology, price ). Looking at the Viper, C6, 911, Enzo, Ford GT, McLaren F1, Buggatti are it will be intersting to see what they will do to best those cars. After seeing what the Ford GT did to the Ferrari and Porsche I'm afraid that what he says may not come to past by the time the new NSX comes out. On a good note, I don't see the next GTR being much of a threat, considering Nissan is aiming at the 911 for its performance benchmark.
Old 01-06-2004, 08:19 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by swami
Dude...Have you seen it in person? I haven't either, but I like it from the pic's. A week from today I hope to have some pic's from the NAIAS. When I see it in the flesh, I'll make my decision as far as just how cool it is. Until then I'll reserve judgement. I'll agree there are a couple of cosmetic tweaks that would put it over the top. That being said, it's highly unlikely that this is the exact car we'll see in production. That's the purpose of a concept car. It's to gauge public opinion on what you like about it and don't like about it. I'm relatively sure the new NSX will be the SHIT. I know Honda doesn't want to blow it with this car. If I was a rich bastard, I'd already have a deposit down.
well I shouldn't say the whole thing is ugly. The front ends ok but could use some work. The back end however is nasty.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Pro

I think the GT-R and maybe even the Skyline might be available by then in the US. As will the C6 Corvette. Etc. That's some pretty stiff competition in the US Market (not to mention all the Usual Suspects, like Porsche, etc.).
Old 01-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Race Director

Anyone who doesnt like the car just has to have bad taste

Old 01-18-2004, 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

i like the overall styling of the car, the rear is a little weird but still acceptable, rest of the car looks kind of like an enzo on estrogen.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:45 AM
Racer

The center console looks like Protoss technology.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Stokeless

im loving it ill give my left nut for one of those...
Old 01-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by dnl2ba
The center console looks like Protoss technology.
lol
Old 01-19-2004, 03:59 PM
pending

Originally posted by tony4311
well I shouldn't say the whole thing is ugly. The front ends ok but could use some work. The back end however is nasty.
I think maybe your sense of aesthetics is not so well developed. A few months ago, when the first HSC photos came out in the magazines, some people here were criticizing the looks. The pictures have not changed; only difference is there are far more pics out and the passing of TIME. Now I see mostly raves. Human perception changes. When something is first introduced, dumb people tend to make dumb statements.

The HSC is absolutely stunning. It doesn't really look like an Enzo at all (those are marketing ploys, much like what they do with moview reviews, comparing this to that when they're not even that similar). The way the HSC's B-pillar is angled and curves around with the rear glass has never been done before. It's beautiful, especially from a side rear view. The rear end just might be the best I have EVER seen, better than Enzo, Murcielago, you name it.

The only thing that needs to be worked on is the FRONT END, and just a bit, to make the lines a little more graceful.

2004TL is completely right. You've got to be an aesthetic moron not to realize this may be the most stunning car ever designed. Even if you don't see it now, when it's finally out, you WILL come to agree.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:09 PM
pending

Originally posted by gilboman
i like the overall styling of the car, the rear is a little weird but still acceptable, rest of the car looks kind of like an enzo on estrogen.
Gilboman's statement here is exactly what I meant by what is done with movie reviews where false statements and comparisons are implanted into the national consciousness by the media.

Gilboman got the statement from a recent magazine, in which it was reported that a Ferrari exec saw the HSC at a show and laughed that it looked like "an Enzo on estrogen."

The HSC does not look like the Enzo at all. Not the front, not the side, not the rear. Recently, I read in a different magazine how it is the interiors that are similar. Are you joking? I find this hard to believe, and even if true, totally inconsequential.

I challenge anyone here to put up pics of the cars side by side. If someone did that, then we would all see plainly that the two cars do not look alike AT ALL.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:01 PM

I love the current NSX. That thing is ugly. Period. Ungainly. I'm hearing no hybrid (to heavy) but a 350hp V-6.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:35 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Startle
Gilboman's statement here is exactly what I meant by what is done with movie reviews where false statements and comparisons are implanted into the national consciousness by the media.

Gilboman got the statement from a recent magazine, in which it was reported that a Ferrari exec saw the HSC at a show and laughed that it looked like "an Enzo on estrogen."

The HSC does not look like the Enzo at all. Not the front, not the side, not the rear. Recently, I read in a different magazine how it is the interiors that are similar. Are you joking? I find this hard to believe, and even if true, totally inconsequential.

I challenge anyone here to put up pics of the cars side by side. If someone did that, then we would all see plainly that the two cars do not look alike AT ALL.
Oh, I think there's more than a little resemblence to the Enzo (not like it's a bad thing!).

HSC Side:

Enzo Side:

HSC Rear:

Enzo Rear:
Old 01-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
I can see the resemblances, but I like the HSC's lines better. Besides, didn't the first NSX resemble a Ferrari as well?
Old 01-19-2004, 07:41 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I think it looks more like a ferrari modena than an enzo, or maybe a combination of the 2.

Old 01-20-2004, 03:12 AM
pending

Thanks for putting up the pics.

As you can see, the biggest resemblance is the bubble top, which is quite common among race cars. That is simply not a distinguishing mark that ties the two designs together. Front ends are very different. A- and B- pillars are totally different, with the HSC's looking much better. The pics also show clearly that the tails are completely different, again with the HSC looking more impressive. The HSC's tail and B-pillar seen from the side-rear angle are the most distinguishing features on the car.

The only slight resemblance is that edge line on the HSC that runs the entire length of the car. And this is only if you draw an imaginary shoulder line on the Enzo, since its lines are truncated all over the place.

In my opinion, the HSC's tail is the most beautiful of any car I have ever seen in the history of automobiles. Period.

For the resemblances that some of you are talking about, you might as well throw in a Gallardo, because you could argue the HSC looks like both (yes, really, go look).
Old 01-20-2004, 03:31 AM
pending

Originally posted by fdl
I think it looks more like a ferrari modena than an enzo, or maybe a combination of the 2.

I agree with fdl.

They have similar lines except that the HSC has sharp edges whereas the Modena does not. You could draw sharp edge lines on the Modena pic and see that it then looks a lot like the HSC lines.

The bottom line is the HSC is an original design. Otherwise, you'd have to argue that the Enzo copied the Modena. LOL.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

I actually think the Enzo nose looks butt ugly.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally posted by rzee
It does. It and the new Mercedes SLR have that look...reminds me of those gremlins from the movie Legend.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:41 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by rzee

Don't you ver say that again. The Enzo is the most beautiful car known to mankind, end of story, and yes I'm serious. Although it is just my opinion.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by domn

Don't you ver say that again. The Enzo is the most beautiful car known to mankind, end of story, and yes I'm serious. Although it is just my opinion.
Well, if that's the end of story, then this is the sequel. I think the Enzo is ugly...it's cool looking but still ugly. There are plenty of cars out there that look better IMO.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:39 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Obviously none of you have seen Charlie's Angels Full Throttle? Have you seen Demi get into the Enzo? and can you still say its ugly after watching that? Just the fact that it does 0-60 in 3.2 sec and a 11.1 second 1/4 mile makes its gorgoeus.

Old 01-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Obviously none of you have seen Charlie's Angels Full Throttle? Have you seen Demi get into the Enzo? and can you still say its ugly after watching that? Just the fact that it does 0-60 in 3.2 sec and a 11.1 second 1/4 mile makes its gorgoeus.

Unfortunately, Demi doesn't come with the car.

Ok, so it's "gorgoeus" because it's fast? Does that mean a Neon SRT-4 is more beautiful than a TSX? I mean, after all, it is faster.

Sorry, but I'm just not feeling the styling of the Enzo. The HSC is a little better looking, imo.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:27 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Unfortunately, Demi doesn't come with the car.

Ok, so it's "gorgoeus" because it's fast? Does that mean a Neon SRT-4 is more beautiful than a TSX? I mean, after all, it is faster.

Sorry, but I'm just not feeling the styling of the Enzo. The HSC is a little better looking, imo.
No its not gorgoeus because its fast, thats not what I meant. Obviously going by my other posts I think its gorgeous period.

But just the fact that is that fast somehow makes it beautiful. Sort of like an F1 car. Its styling is purely by function but watching an F1 car move is simply a thing of beauty. The Enzo was styled in the windtunnel. Every crease, bend and shape was designed with a purpose, speed.

But when I look at the SLR, I see nice car from some angles but a pretty ugly car from others. The length of the hood just throws everything off for me.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

No its not gorgoeus because its fast, thats not what I meant. Obviously going by my other posts I think its gorgeous period.

But just the fact that is that fast somehow makes it beautiful. Sort of like an F1 car. Its styling is purely by function but watching an F1 car move is simply a thing of beauty. The Enzo was styled in the windtunnel. Every crease, bend and shape was designed with a purpose, speed.

But when I look at the SLR, I see nice car from some angles but a pretty ugly car from others. The length of the hood just throws everything off for me.
I do understand what you're saying about the speed adding to the appeal of the car.

I just don't like the "the Enzo is the most beautiful car in the world and you're crazy if you don't agree" thing. I don't think it looks like a decent looking car that was beat with an ugly stick. But I don't think I'm too crazy.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:09 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

The bottom line is the HSC is an original design. Otherwise, you'd have to argue that the Enzo copied the Modena. LOL.
Well, I think Ferrari is allowed to copy Ferrari

About the looks of the Enzo...its looks has gotten mixed reviews from the press, but apparently when most of these same editors saw it in person they quickly changed their mind. As the great Tiff Needel said , "when you are beside one, it makes the hairs on your arm stand up".

I think that with the Enzo though ... its design purpose was more of function than beauty. In that way it is as beuatiful as an F1 car...but if you think F1 cars are ugly..then you will think the enzo is ugly.

It seems that the 360 Modena design has more "mainstream" appeal.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:18 AM
Pinky all stinky

Maserati Corse Stradale

And here's another exotic. I think it looks better than the Enzo.

Old 01-21-2004, 01:36 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I've never seen that before. What is it? And are you sure its street legal?
Old 01-21-2004, 03:15 AM
pending

That thing is uglier than a Saleen S7. And that's pretty hard to do.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:54 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Probly a Maserati made for Le Mans type racing if I had to guess. And ya, does'nt even approach the Enzo's good looks. Uglier than the S7? no.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes, I have seen Charlie's Angels Full Throttle. No, I wasn't impressed. It's just an ugly-go-fast car.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:47 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Mosler Consulier

That thing is uglier than a Saleen S7. And that's pretty hard to do.
How about this one?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Frozen Wannabe Oracle

The Maserati race car seen above is based off of (drum roll).....................The Ferrari Enzo.