Ford wants to build a..."Scion"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ford wants to build a..."Scion"

Ford ponders developing vehicle aimed at youth market

By RICK KRANZ | Automotive News

Ford Motor Co. will decide this year whether to develop a small, low-priced vehicle aimed at the youth market in North America, says the company's product-development chief.

If approved, the vehicle likely would be developed off a new subcompact platform that Mazda is developing.

Ford already is developing 10 Ford, Mercury and Lincoln models from the mid-sized Mazda6 platform.

Phil Martens, vice president of North American product creation, said of the proposed small Ford: "I feel a sense of urgency to do it." A decision will be made this year.

Among the issues to be decided is whether the vehicle would be assembled in North America or imported, he said. Martens was interviewed at the Detroit auto show.

While not describing the Ford model that is under consideration, Martens said small sport wagons continue to grow in popularity.

"We want to make sure that if we do a product (for North America) it has true appeal for the youth market, and that is a difficult thing to do," Martens said. "Not every car under $15,000 appeals to the youth market."

Commenting on the success of Toyota's Scion xB, Martens said: "I think the market is ready for that. It is nice to let others lead the way because it is a tough market to crack. We can be very effective as a fast follower."

Over the past decades, Ford tried unsuccessfully to woo low-price buyers with two car imports, the Fiesta and Aspire.

Ford had considered importing the current-generation Fusion sport wagon from Brazil and displayed the car at the 2002 Los Angeles auto show. But that plan was dropped.

"There is an opportunity now to rethink our approach with the whole international automotive group that David Thursfield leads and the recently announced role that Mazda will play as the lead for our small cars," Martens said.

Last month, the automaker announced that Mazda will develop a global front-drive subcompact platform.

The platform is expected to generate 1 million vehicles annually by the end of the decade. Among the vehicles that will be based on that platform are the next-generation Mazda2 and Mazda Demio along with Ford's Fiesta, Fusion, Ka, Ikon and Ecostar.

Vehicles off the new platform will be sold in Europe, Japan, South America, India and China. Sales are expected to begin in 2007.

Source: Autoweek
Old 01-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Makes sense, but isnt that what the Mazda 3 and the Ford Focus for?
Old 01-13-2004, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gavriil
Makes sense, but isnt that what the Mazda 3 and the Ford Focus for?
Nah. The Focus and Mazda3 are compact cars. This new car would be sub-compact (think Festiva).
Old 01-13-2004, 02:47 PM
The hair says it all

the youth in NA want srt-4's. i would know. give it a turbo and we will come. also give it a ton of power and a limited slip diff
Old 01-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Kabachitare!

I always thought the Focus was Ford's low cost import fighter. Maybe all the recalls have sullied its street credibility.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Python2121
the youth in NA want srt-4's. i would know. give it a turbo and we will come. also give it a ton of power and a limited slip diff

Exactly.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:05 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When i read the article all i could think was, whats the Focus for?