Ford: Fusion News

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
It looks bad-ass.

I wish they went with the gull-wing doors and the flat bottomed steering wheel.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on_first_test/

For those who are interested to see how good the new Fusion is, Motor Trend posted a new first test article on it.

MT seems to like the hybrid trim quite a bit.

On the other hand, after a quick glance at the performance numbers, the Fusion doesn't seem to be a very quick car. The top of the line 2.0T titanium model with its 240hp/270lbft engine and 6AT is roughly as fast as the Accord sport I4 6MT (0-60mph in 6.8s, and 1/4 mile in low 15's at a bit over 90mph). It's considerably slower than the V6 competitors such as the Accord V6, Altima V6, and Camry V6. All of those are low 14's cars in AT form.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...on_first_test/

For those who are interested to see how good the new Fusion is, Motor Trend posted a new first test article on it.

MT seems to like the hybrid trim quite a bit.

On the other hand, after a quick glance at the performance numbers, the Fusion doesn't seem to be a very quick car. The top of the line 2.0T titanium model with its 240hp/270lbft engine and 6AT is roughly as fast as the Accord sport I4 6MT (0-60mph in 6.8s, and 1/4 mile in low 15's at a bit over 90mph). It's considerably slower than the V6 competitors such as the Accord V6, Altima V6, and Camry V6. All of those are low 14's cars in AT form.
I think it's a bit heavier and possibly bigger. But 6.8s should be pretty good for most people.

That said, if Ford sells 300k a year of these, they'd have a 20% growth over the 2012s and still be 100k a year behind the Camry.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Might be in the market for a Sedan next year and at this point, Accord > Fusion.

Even the styling isn't looking all that great to me anymore.

And keep in mind that 6.8 is for a3,7xx lb AWD car. Not that bad considering.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by dom
Might be in the market for a Sedan next year and at this point, Accord > Fusion.

I would go the other way on that. The Accord doesn't look like any one thing but style is subjective.

That said the Fusion looks like a great car and I really want to give Ford my business for finally bringing cars I would want to own over here.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:20 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by charliemike
I think it's a bit heavier and possibly bigger. But 6.8s should be pretty good for most people.

That said, if Ford sells 300k a year of these, they'd have a 20% growth over the 2012s and still be 100k a year behind the Camry.
6.8s is definitely pretty good for most people buying a midsize family sedan. But the competitors are really quite a bit ahead in this area. Perhaps the lighter FWD version with less drivetrain loss can shave a few tenths off (6.5s)?

On the other hand, even with the 6MT, the 1.6L model is already falling behind in terms of acceleration. Most family sedan buyers would probably go for the AT version. If we use the Focus as a reference, even with the DCT, it will still be quite a bit slower than the 6MT version. 0-60mph in the Focus titanium 6MT takes 7.4s. It takes 8.1s in the Focus SE with the 6-speed DCT.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...al-test-review

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...a-civic-ex.pdf

Originally Posted by dom

I wonder how heavy the FWD titanium version is. 6.8s with 3700lb/240hp is respectable for sure. But again, the main competitors in this segment, the Accord, Camry, and Altima, are all a second faster from 0 to 60mph. It's a pretty sizeable gap. It also doesn't help Ford that the EPA mileage for this model isn't much, if any, better than the competition. We also haven't factored in the smoothness of a V6 vs I4.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by iforyou
6.8s is definitely pretty good for most people buying a midsize family sedan. But the competitors are really quite a bit ahead in this area. Perhaps the lighter FWD version with less drivetrain loss can shave a few tenths off (6.5s)?
I hear you but I don't think the average person knows where the dipstick is let alone care about acceleration times. They just want a seat-of-the-pants feel and if they get it, then that's all they need.

Most people will go for the 6AT for sure.

The Fusion has 240hp and the Focus ST has 257hp. I don't know if there's any economy reason for the difference in HP but it would probably be fairly easy for Ford to bump the Fusion to the higher number in 2014 if they feel acceleration is in fact a blocker for sales.

BTW, Autoblog tested the 6MT 1.6L and liked it a lot. They had nothing bad to say about the acceleration or the smoothness of the engine.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think the average person who is looking at the 2.5 model or 1.6T model would not care too much about the acceleration time as long as the car is reasonably quick. It's probably just me, but I'd imagine that if one were to get the 2.0T model with 6MT, it's probably because he/she wants some added performance. Perhaps 6.8s is more than enough, but I'm just suggesting that at the same price point, there are significant faster choices as mentioned above (with AT/CVT as well). With that said, I guess the 270lbft of torque in the Fusion can give the driver the "seat-of-the-pants" feeling.

Most family sedan drivers might have to go with 6AT, even if they want 6MT due to "family reasons." In that case, it might take over 7s to do 0-60mph. That would be significantly slower than the Altima V6 CVT, Camry V6 6AT, and Accord V6 6AT.

I'm not sure the reason for the 240hp rating. I guess economy can be one reason? Another reason is turbo lag perhaps (less lag with less boost)? It's also possible that the Focus has sportier parts (i.e. sports exhaust/intake, etc) and tuning which may increase NVH?

Oh no, I don't think the 1.6T model has much of an issue. It might be slower than the Accord I4, but it's still around average in terms of acceleration, no complain there. Also, the 1.6T model competes with other I4 competitors, so there shouldn't be any complaint for the smoothness of the engine. My concern is the 2.0T I4 vs 3.5L V6 from Camry, Accord, and Altima.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:39 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,789 Likes on 1,410 Posts
they were filming the Ford Fusion commercial across the street from my building yesterday. The Fusion looks GREAT in person.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:59 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Based on looks alone, I'd rate the Fusion in 1st place in the segment.
The following users liked this post:
is300eater (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
I hope the trunk lid and rear passenger door aren't options.
justnspace (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:26 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
I hope the trunk lid and rear passenger door aren't options.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
In its class, I don't know why anyone would buy anything other than the Fusion.

It's very elegant.
justnspace (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 06:43 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
In its class, I don't know why anyone would buy anything other than the Fusion.

It's very elegant.
Call me crazy but I prefer the styling of the Accord Something I just don't like about the rear of the Fusion. Optima has nicer styling than both IMO.

Last edited by dom; 10-01-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ You are crazy.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
Call me crazy but I prefer the styling of the Accord Something I just don't like about the rear of the Fusion. Optima has nicer styling than both IMO.
^^ You are crazy.
+1 on calling dom crazy.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I agree, the rear end of the Fusion seems out of proportion, its too tall, or they put the tail lights too high. However, the Optima has terrible proportions, it has more front overhang than even a TL.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
The review I read on the weekend of the fusion said the interior isn't so great, and based on some of the pics I have seen, I'd tend to agree (although haven't seen it in person). Outside looks good.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:51 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by dom
Although I'd pick the Fusion 1st in terms of exterior styling, the Accord is just right behind it IMO. Actually, I'd rank the Accord first if it's equipped with the sports grille, lip spoiler, and the oem kit.

Other than the exterior styling, I'd say the Accord is pretty much on top of everything else.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Some dude

Received 347 Likes on 203 Posts
New Mazda6 > Optima/Fusion (tie) > Accord > Malibu > Passat > Sonata > Altima > Camry in terms of looks alone for me. Motor Trend did a mid size comparison and I'm kind of surprised by the results.

From Motor Trend:
1. Passat
2. Accord
3. Ford Fusion
4. Nissan Altima
5. Camry
6. Malibu

3RD PLACE: Ford Fusion SE
The Aston of family sedans

If looks alone determined the finishing order, we'd probably have our winner right here. Admittedly, the new Fusion isn't as sleek in the metal as some of its photos might suggest, but this is still a great-looking sedan, an Aston Martin amid a sea of cereal boxes.

Happy to say, the Fusion is not just another pretty fascia. It's a genuinely spirited car, with real flavor and competence in its moves. "You can tell right away it was engineered by a German team," says Evans. "Reminds me of the Passat, but even more German. The ride is firm; you feel all the bumps; but it pays back in handling. This thing is built like a tank and feels it in turns, but the body is very well controlled." Febbo agrees. "Suspension tuning is really good." In fact, post-driving, all of us agreed the Fusion's steering is the best of the six--better even than our winner's. "Sportiest car in the group," summed-up Martinez.

Under the hood lies the group's only blown engine, a 1.6-liter turbo making 178 hp and paired with the group's only manual, a six-speed. Febbo dubbed the combo "really good. Doesn't have tons of low end, but even at low rpm there isn't much turbo lag. Feels like a cammy 2.0-liter; really satisfying to zing around with the manual." Indeed, the Fusion's turbo four seemed (and sounded) happiest at high rpm. At low revs it tends to sound a bit gristly.

The interior is a mixed bag. The seats, for instance, are fabulous: aggressively bolstered and covered with a cool, neoprene-like fabric that grips like a wetsuit. So too are the steering wheel, the shift knob, and the center armrest -- all covered in high-quality, soft-touch materials. The center stack, though, is a disaster: a mess of tiny, faintly labeled buttons seemingly executed as an afterthought ("What about the models that don't have the MyFord Touch screen, boss?" "Uh, I dunno, Harris. Just throw a bunch of soft-touch tabs together and paint 'em Indistinguishable Ninja Black. The kids will love it.") Well, the kids don't.

The Fusion is a mixed bag in other areas, too. It's probably the quietest car in the group, with minimal wind and road noise intruding on the cabin. But its rear seat is only fair, with that rakish roofline eating into rear-seat headroom. A spirited performer, true, but also delivering only decent observed fuel economy (24.9 mpg).

You can't help thinking what the Fusion would be like with one of its more potent engine options and bigger wheels and tires. But even as is, the Fusion produced plenty of grins among us. For family-sedan buyers in search of some driving spice, the Fusion warrants a serious look.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...an_comparison/
ttribe (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 AM
I shoot people

Accord is imo

Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Accord is It will sell in droves based on rep.

Mazda 6 is better than the previous, but that's not saying much. Won't sell well. This will be the last 6.

Passat is very tame looking with a German twist. Clearly selling well. VW knew their market, and hit a homerun.

Camry is better than the previous gen, but still . Will continue to sell very well.

Fusion: The best looking of the bunch. Amazing that such an elegant design hit this price level. It will sell very, very well.

Altima: Better than the previous gen, but it's still not a looker. It will sell based on rep alone.

Optima: Stunning and sleek. Clearly selling well.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:07 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Car and Driver has a totally different result....lol

Also pay close attention to the fun to drive factor of each car....
http://www./forums/showpost.php?p=985993&postcount=55

4) VW Passat 2.5 SE
Vehicle: 75/100 points
Powertrain: 42/55 points
Chassis: 46/60 points
Fun to Drive: 15/25 Points
Total: 178/240 Points
Observed mpg: 18
0-60: 8.8 seconds
"The big and bland Volkswagen Passat went from first place in the previous mid-size sedan comparo to last against this stellar group"
(+) Swimming with Cabin Space, Suspension Checks the Roll, Big Fuel Tank
(-) Heavy Steering, Moaning five-cylinder lacks punch, bland as dry toast
(=) As unexciting as it is inoffensive

3) Nissan Altima 2.5 SV
Vehicle: 74/100 points
Powertrain: 50/55 points
Chassis: 49/60 points
Fun to Drive: 18/25 Points
Total: 191/240 Points
Observed mpg: 19
0-60: 7.6 seconds
"The Altima came into this test looking tough to beat, with strong MPG and promising performance. Reality hits hard Bro!"
(+) Quickest by a little, sporty steering, largest trunk opening
(-) Traces of cost cutting inside, CVT slow to react, gawky styling
(=) Sits squarely in the middle of Nissan's Identity crisis

2) Ford Fusion SE Ecoboost
Vehicle: 82/100 points
Powertrain: 45/55 points
Chassis: 54/60 points
Fun to Drive: 21/25 Points
Total: 202/240 Points
0-60: 8.3 seconds
"The Fusion's overmatched powertrain and compromised packaging outweighed it's great chassis and suave, continental bodywork"
(+) A beautiful AstonJaguVolvo, feels more German than the German, the Best Chassis
(-) Rear Space sacrificed, smallest trunk opening, busy transmission
(=) Mr. Bond, your rental car is ready

1) Honda Accord EX
Vehicle: 82/100 points
Powertrain: 52/55 points
Chassis: 54/60 points
Fun to Drive: 23/25 Points
Total: 212/240 Points
0-60: 7.7 seconds

"In case you thought we were superficial, the dowdy Accord won our hearts with resurgent Honda mojo and unimpeachable chassis flow"
(+) Sweet to Drive, Big in the Back and the Boot, engine and CVT work harmoniously
(-) Anonymity on Wheels, CVT makes some noise
(=) A family sedan made out of recycled CRXs
Considering most mags say that the Accord is a fun car to drive, seems to me MT is trying to justify its COTY 2012 decision with their comparo. It's just funny how MT claims the Accord is the ultimate family sedan, but end up picking the Passat as the winner because it's more fun to drive. Is fun to drive the biggest factor in a family sedan comparison? How about acceleration? Fuel economy?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:34 PM
I shoot people

Accord is It will sell in droves based on rep.

Mazda 6 is better than the previous, but that's not saying much. Won't sell well. This will be the last 6.

Passat is very tame looking with a German twist. Clearly selling well. VW knew their market, and hit a homerun.

Camry is better than the previous gen, but still . Will continue to sell very well.

Fusion: The best looking of the bunch. Amazing that such an elegant design hit this price level. It will sell very, very well.

Altima: Better than the previous gen, but it's still not a looker. It will sell based on rep alone.

Optima: Stunning and sleek. Clearly selling well.
Like I've always said, Accords and Camrys are the cars you'd want to use for a get away car if you were going to rob a bank... because once you get on the road... they blend in, 1) because there are soooo many of them on the road... and 2) because they are rather bland, and really don't attract attention

Last edited by is300eater; 10-03-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by is300eater
it's funny how you say that because I always tell people... Accords and Camrys are the cars you'd want to use for a get away car if you were going to rob a bank... because once you get on the road... they blend in, 1) because there are soooo many of them on the road... and 2) because they are rather bland, and really don't attract attention
It's the truth.

They are designed: not to excite, not to offend.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by is300eater
Like I've always said, Accords and Camrys are the cars you'd want to use for a get away car if you were going to rob a bank... because once you get on the road... they blend in, 1) because there are soooo many of them on the road... and 2) because they are rather bland, and really don't attract attention
Interesting how different these 2 reviews saw these cars.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

It's the truth.

not to excite, not to offend.
While I don't disagree, I think the Passat design team had that as there primary mandate. That is one bland looking car.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by dom
I think the Passat design team had that as there primary mandate. That is one bland looking car.
Indeed, passat looks like blandus maximus.

Dial up the perfect mid-size family sedan:
Accord reliability + Fusion looks + Passat handling ~ viola!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Is it necessarily a bad thing to have a vanilla design when it comes to entry-level midsize sedans? For Hyundai/Kia, I assume they had a limited slice of the market beforehand, so they have much more to gain than lose by playing it risky. VW took a risk by drastically altering the design philosophy of the Jetta/Passat... even with bland looks, it paid off with improved sales.

These are cars in a segment designed for comfortable commuting to school or work, daily. There's a reason why most of the time, they don't come in bright yellow/red or fluorescent green. Last thing you'd want is to be noticed by LEOs or by people looking to leave an engraving in a new car's paint.

For the record, I think the Passat and Accord look great, as vanilla as they are. I really, really liked the Optima and Sonata at first, but perhaps due to overexposure or just age on the latter's part, they don't really look attractive to me any more.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
VW took a risk by drastically altering the design philosophy of the Jetta/Passat... even with bland looks, it paid off with improved sales.
I don't think it paid off because of being bland, they are seeing stronger sales because they cheapened the interior and it is now manufactured in the USA so they could lower the price accordingly as opposed to importing them from Europe.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I know it's a test where the cars were likely driven aggressively but it is somewhat worrisome that Honda with their all new ED tech and CVT only managed to tie the others in MPG and be 1 behind the Altima. What ever happened to Honda being the only manufacturer to meet or exceed EPA estimates? Can't even beat VW's apparently terrible and ancient 2.5?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I think Camry sales over the last several years have proved that bland sells in the midsize category. But at the same time, the Sonata and Optima have woke up Toyota and Honda causing them and others to up their game in the form of Sport editions. Everyone wins.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Fibonacci
I don't think it paid off because of being bland, they are seeing stronger sales because they cheapened the interior and it is now manufactured in the USA so they could lower the price accordingly as opposed to importing them from Europe.
True, but does the bland styling really hurt those models? It may not drive sales but apparently it doesn't hurt them much, either. There's good-looking bland, then there's also ugly-bland....

You want eye-catching styling cues?

... yuck. Accord Sport looks miles better IMO.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by dom
I know it's a test where the cars were likely driven aggressively but it is somewhat worrisome that Honda with their all new ED tech and CVT only managed to tie the others in MPG and be 1 behind the Altima. What ever happened to Honda being the only manufacturer to meet or exceed EPA estimates? Can't even beat VW's apparently terrible and ancient 2.5?
To be fair, the Fusion engine is supposed to be a high tech engine as well.

Once you are going all out with a car, it probably depends more on the weight of the vehicle.

Also look at the performance numbers. The Passat might have the same real-world mpg in that test as the others, but the Accord and Altima are both significantly faster. So, while burning the same amount of gas, you are also having much more joy accelerating.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:29 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Full Test by Edmunds of the Fusion AWD Titanium Model:
http://www.insideline.com/ford/fusio...full-test.html

One interesting thing I found:

The EPA says this powertrain is good for 22 city/31 highway/25 combined in the 2013 Ford Fusion. We recorded 22.1 mpg over 432 miles spent largely on the highway.
That's pretty bad for highway driving, despite the AWD system. Not sure why the car is over 3700lb when a Subaru Legacy 2.5i Limited with a bigger engine and AWD system is just 3400lb.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 5,885 Likes on 2,900 Posts
Saw my first new Fusion in the wild this afternoon. It looked like it was a stripped-down rental car version, but the body style is very attractive.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts
it would look tons better lowered. I hate the tail pipes. After driving the v6 2013 accord touring, it would be hard for a fusion to beat it.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/30/f...fir/#continued

Ford recalling 89k 2013 Fusion and Escape models over engine fires, urges owners to park their cars

Ford has announced a recall of 89,153 vehicles equipped with 1.6-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engines over the possibility of overheating and, in some instances, fires starting in the engine compartment. The brand new 2013 Fusion accounts for 15,833 of the affected models, the other 73,320 being the 2013 Escape. This is the fourth time the recently launched Escape has been recalled, and this is the third time the recall has involved the 1.6-liter engine.

In a statement issued Friday, Ford confirmed that there have been new reports of these engines overheating, resulting in fires while the engine is running. No injuries have been reported in conjunction with this issue, and Ford states that the affected vehicles' instrument clusters may display warning notifications reading, "Engine Power Reduced to Lower Temps" or "Engine over temp, stop safely."

Ford is currently working on a repair procedure and will notify owners as soon as a fix is found. In the meantime, the automaker is urging owners to stop driving these affected vehicles and to contact a Ford dealer to arrange for alternate transportation at no charge. Owners in the United States may call 866.436.7332 for assistance with securing a different set of wheels (888.222.7814 in Canada).

Fusion and Escape models equipped with 2.5-liter naturally aspirated and 2.0-liter turbocharged engines are not affected by this recall. The Fusion Hybrid is also not affected.

Scroll down to read Ford's official release, which also contains details on how to see if your vehicle is affected by this recall simply by looking at the VIN.
I guess it isn't such a bright idea to slap a 1.6L engine into a 3500+lb car/suv with AWD....

You end up using so much boost which takes away any theoretical mpg advantage and causes engine overheat....1.6L is just a bit too aggressive IMO

Hopefully the Fiesta ST will be fine. Even though it's more poweful, it's also 1000lb lighter.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Ouch. I've now seen 2 Fusions out in the wild and I really don't see the big deal about this car's styling. It's by no means ugly or unattractive but I just don't see the big deal most seem to be making about it. Subjective indeed.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,823 Likes on 3,735 Posts
Yes subjective as the look of anything is. But it is by far the best looking car in the, family grocery getter, appliance class.

Quick Reply: Ford: Fusion News