Ford delays shipping Edge, MKX crossovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ford delays shipping Edge, MKX crossovers

Ford delays shipping Edge, MKX crossovers - - By AMY WILSON | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. will delay shipping its new Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossovers to dealerships for at least a couple of weeks.

Company executives have been saying the Edge and MKX would arrive in dealerships in mid- to late November. But in an interview today, Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s vice president of North American manufacturing, said the crossover duo won’t be available for sale until at least December.

Ford has had “some hiccups in the launch curve,” Hinrichs said.

“The manufacturing process and the supply base aren’t to the level of consistency and stability we’d like to see,” he said. “You need to have the product right -- which we think we do, in this case. But you also have to have the process right.”

Ford told the Ford and Lincoln Mercury national dealer councils of the delays today.

The Edge and MKX are being assembled at Ford’s plant in Oakville, Ontario. New Ford CEO Alan Mulally visited the plant Oct. 16 to celebrate the Job 1 manufacturing launch of the crossovers. Ford is calling the launch its most important product debut of this year.

Hinrichs wouldn’t share specifics about the manufacturing hiccups. The plant continues to assemble the vehicles. The bottom line is that it’s taking longer to build Edges and MKXs than planned at this point.

“We’re not getting the consistency of meeting the cycle times, of getting the work done in station, that we’d like to see at this time,” Hinrichs said. “That means we’re having to slow the line down or stop the line.”

Hinrichs wouldn’t say how many vehicles are being built each day. The number of Edges and MKXs already built number “in the thousands,” he said.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Better than a recall I suppose.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:33 AM
Everyday Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just don't understand why this vehicle does not have a third row....a fatal flaw, in my mind.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
this thing runs almost 37k loaded...i cant see how it'll sell 4 a profit even after 3 months...
Old 11-19-2006, 12:22 PM
That was uncalled for...

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by keg1997
I just don't understand why this vehicle does not have a third row....a fatal flaw, in my mind.
So it can be praised for large cargo room instead of bashed for a small third row.

If the extra time on the assembly line means that the cars will be put together better, then they should take as much time as they need.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:29 PM
Drifting

Full Test: 2007 Ford Edge SEL Plus AWD
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...topanel..1.*#6

Although we like Ford's newest crossover, the edgiest thing about it turns out to be its name.
ouch
Old 11-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
Full Test: 2007 Ford Edge SEL Plus AWD
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...topanel..1.*#6

ouch
Wow...$36k. There's better stuff out there for that price for sure.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:19 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Ford Edge nearly matches combined sales of Enclave, Acadia, Outlook

GM's four Lambda-platform crossovers — the Enclave, Acadia, Outlook, and Traverse — offer consumers more selection in terms of styling and features, but does offering so many models translate to more sales? That's the question raised by news today that Ford's Edge crossover has nearly matched the total sales for GM's three Lambda offerings in 2007.

Ford sold 130,400 Edge crossovers, compared to 137,000 for the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave combined, reports AdvertisingAge. (The report didn't say how many Lincoln MKX crossovers ford sold in the same time period.)

One would expect the multitude of GM models would lead to a more significant lead over Ford, but the automaker might simply not have the marketing resources to make each of the three — soon to be four — Lambda crossovers a hit. The Saturn Outlook, received about half the advertising budget of the Enclave or Acadia. It should come as no surprise, then, that Outlook sales have fallen somewhat short of expectations.

"GM, with three different models, is diluting their marketing dollar," said Kevin Tynan of Argus Research. With one model Ford is able fund a more comprehensive campaign, he said.

It's not known how GM will distribute its ad dollars once the new Chevrolet Traverse enters production. The hope is that the low-priced Traverse will provide added volume, but we can't help but wonder if one of the other models will suffer as a consequence.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
GM does NOT need four versions of the same fucking vehicle.

GM needs to kill GMC and Pontiac.

Chevy = American Value and Trucks
Buick = American Luxury
Saturn = Value Import Fighter
Cadillac = Luxury Import Fighter
Saab = Quirky non-American Granolamobile
Old 02-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
^ I know, it's history repeating itself. Remember when the Chevy Blazer was also the GMC Envoy/Jimmy, and the Oldsmobile Bravada?

And then Oldsmobile was killed off...so what does GM do? You get the Chevy Trailblazer, the Chevy Envoy, AND the Buick Rainier. To top it off, they rebadge the extended wheelbase version as the Isuzu Ascender!

Now Isuzu is leaving the US market. I think the Buick divison will be next to get the ax.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
I think the Buick divison will be next to get the axe.
I hope not. Buick provides brand value that Pontiac doesn't.

"Excitement division" is horseshit. Buick is at the top of JD Power. Killing that off is simply retarded. Pontiac is a joke. I don't care about the G6 or G5. The G8 is a nice car but easily could be a Saturn/Chevy.

Pontiac and GMC (light-duty, not heavy duty) need to go.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the edge.

wouldn't buy one. and i haven't driven one. but i like the way it looks. inside and out.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
i really like the edge and the lincoln and it seems like everyone else does too...
Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The Edge is a big winner for Ford. Looks nice...and it appears to be an excellent seller.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by charliemike
I hope not. Buick provides brand value that Pontiac doesn't.
Buick is at the top of JD Power. Killing that off is simply retarded.
Agreed. Buick is on a role. Unlike these other divisions, it's sells in big numbers outside the U.S.; namely China. The next Lacrosse is said to be a stunner. The replacement Lucerne will be a RWD V8 optioned Luxury car. The Enclave is doing well, and there is speculation that a production version of the Regal Concept may come to fruition. So, Buick is on a roll. It's the last division that needs to get the axe.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Better than a recall I suppose.

Originally Posted by S A CHO
If the extra time on the assembly line means that the cars will be put together better, then they should take as much time as they need.

I hope they are taking the time to test and fix problems before they hit the market.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
The Edge is a big winner for Ford. Looks nice...and it appears to be an excellent seller.
As Ford supposedly used the Nissan Murano as a design template for the Edge, I went to a Ford dealership to look at one. Good design and features.

But for all of its exterior flash, its interior seems even cheaper than the Murano. (Then again, the Edge comes in a few thousand cheaper than the Mo.)
Old 02-10-2008, 01:44 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by F23A4
As Ford supposedly used the Nissan Murano as a design template for the Edge, I went to a Ford dealership to look at one. Good design and features.

But for all of its exterior flash, its interior seems even cheaper than the Murano. (Then again, the Edge comes in a few thousand cheaper than the Mo.)
The new Murano's interior is top notch, IMO.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by titan
The new Murano's interior is top notch, IMO.

I just checked that out not 1 hr ago at my local Nissan dealership. SOOOOOOOOOOO much nicer than that of my 05.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
09 Murano, interior is top notch. We looked at most of the crossovers and got the Murano. It's really nice!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Ford puts Oakville plans on hold

Tony Van Alphen
Business Reporter

Jul 23, 2008

Ford has delayed the addition of a third shift and hundreds of jobs at its Oakville assembly plant indefinitely because of an abrupt downturn in sales of crossover vehicles.

A senior spokesperson for Ford Motor of Canada Ltd. confirmed yesterday that the automaker halted the gradual launch of a third shift this week because of sliding sales of the Edge and Lincoln MKX crossover utility vehicles in the U.S. and Canadian markets.

"The Oakville assembly complex is delaying the introduction of the third shift indefinitely to better align production with unprecedented shifts in market conditions," said Lauren More, Ford's vice-president of communications.

The company has also cut back Saturday overtime production for its two shifts at the plant because of slowing sales.

Ford's move comes only three months after the automaker announced plans for the extra shift and more than 500 new jobs in Oakville. Ford informed about 350 new workers this week not to report for orientation for the third shift over the next month even though the company had just recently recruited them.

"It has to be absolutely gut-wrenching for some of those people who left other jobs to join Ford and now have this happen," said Bob Chernecki, a senior official for the Canadian Auto Workers union. "What do they and their families do now?"

The company started orientation this week for another 160 workers who transferred from the company's engine operations in Windsor after being laid off there. They will remain and fill positions in Oakville that become vacant through attrition.

"We're very thankful that Ford will proceed with the transfer and is absorbing us into the Oakville plant," said Catherine Faubert, who moved with her husband and family from Windsor.

In response to the big shift in consumer preferences, industry sources say parent Ford Motor Co. will soon announce plans to import more subcompacts and compacts to the U.S. market from overseas and revamp operations in North America to produce smaller cars.

In Oakville, More said the chances of proceeding with a third shift in the short term are not good. The company also produces the Flex crossover model there. "We expect the economic environment in the U.S. in the second half of this year to remain severe," she said.

Ford said in April that it would add a third shift in Oakville because the Edge and MKX models had gained strong traction in the U.S. and Canadian markets after debuting in 2006.

But the gradual move by consumers to smaller, more fuel-efficient models in the U.S. over the past year turned into a stampede in May and June as gasoline prices soared to record highs.

It triggered a collapse in sales of large pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles and also pulled down business for bigger models in the popular crossover segment.

In the key U.S. market, where Ford expected Edge business to continue growing, sales slipped 4.6 per cent to 32,693 during the second quarter from the same period last year, with signs of continuing deterioration. Edge sales plunged almost 20 per cent to 9,993 in June from the same month last year.

In Canada, Edge sales have risen 14 per cent to 3,853 in the past three months but are slowing down. Sales in June rose 2 per cent to 1,348.

Chernecki, assistant to CAW president Buzz Hargrove, said he isn't optimistic that Ford will implement the third shift in Oakville for at least several months in view of the continuing upheaval in the North American auto industry.

"This is a reflection of rising fuel prices and an unprecedented flood of imports into Canada and the U.S.," he added.

"The Harper government has to get off their position of ignoring the industry and start taking an active role to protect it before there is any further damage."
http://www.wheels.ca/reviews/article/310307