Edmund's $50k AWD luxury sport-sedan Comparo...surprise ending...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:04 PM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmund's $50k AWD luxury sport-sedan Comparo...surprise ending...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=106555

This Edmunds comparison really, really surprised me. Let's see if it does anyone else.

To not spoil it for anyone, let me just say, ! The [insert vehicle here] is bringing home the awards right and left and [insert auto manufacturer name here] better start advertising it more. Nice to see yet another accolade added to the trophy case.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:15 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good for Acura, it's a shame it isn't selling more though. Oh and to the Lexus, I bet someone over at clublexus.com is going to have their panties in a bunch (sicklex).
Old 07-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Only reason i could think why it doesnt sell is that Acuras brand name isnt up to par with the others in the 50k range.

Otherwise its a bad ass car. Heard you can get one for around 43k now.

Looks like the 530xi would have won if it wasnt for the high price tag. It placed frist in almost all their tests..

Last edited by Crazy Bimmer; 07-28-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:30 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Only reason i could think why it doesnt sell is that Acuras brand name isnt up to par with the others in the 50k range.

Looks like the 530xi would have won if it wasnt for the high price tag. It placed frist in almost all their tests..
The car is incredible. It's getting excellent publicity. If the thing was a total looker, I bet it would help with the image "problem". I say just give it another year or two on the market. As more and more are seen driving on the roads, maybe people will start to notice the vehicle. Further, Acura needs to be more agressive with its marketing/advertising. I suppose part of the reason why the Infiniti M is selling so well is because of their massive advertising campaign...a well-done, extreme advertising campaign.

As for the dealers slahing prices right and left, I think they're only shooting themselves in the foot. This great vehicle is going to suffer from horrible resale down the road if they keep this up. I think Acura was a tad-bit optimistic when they set production numbers so high. I think the price of the vehicle is right on target, but I think the problem is that there are so many vehicles that continue to pour onto dealer's lots...they feel pressured to move them off. It's such an incredible value at $49k. If more people were passing through Acura showrooms to check out the RL (because of a good advertising campaign) they wouldn't need to discount them.

As for the 5...you're probably right. I think cheap(ish) materials also played a role. BMW does build an incredible driver's car...I must admit. I think they need to add some content to their vehicles, however. Some of the options should be standard equipment.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:12 AM
Pro

Its actually not too surprising. The SH-AWD in the RL really is the best awd out there. Audi finished second as they should since most of their cars are AWD. The M is for the most part ahead of the GS and 5 in most comparos
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Pretty smart comment coming from a eurosnob

I think that's part of the reason, and something that acura has known about for awhile. Only time will tell if they are able to "upscale" the brand by some of their more recent decisions. With the new TL and new RL and the entry of the TSX (euro accord) into the USDM it appears that Acura is slowly making a try to bring it's brand up to par with the others...

Of course this means the RSX might have to go, and they'll need a new Flagship (NSX) and a new coupe (M3 competitor) wouldn't be a bad idea either...
Old 07-29-2005, 08:07 AM
Safety Car

I'm not so sure its the Acura name as it is other things. Acura has a pretty strong following if the car is done right. I think above 40k, one package for all isn't what luxury buyers want. Value is important, but they want to pick and chose how their car should be optioned and there is a need for excessive options that go above and beyond.

I don't think that effects their lower models because there are a lot of entry level buyers who are happy with a lot of features in a car without jumping up into true luxury car prices.

2nd thing would have been more of a standout design so the car doesn't blend in so much.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I'm glad one of the media giants has enough balls to call out the Infiniti and Lexus interiors. I sat in all 3 japanese luxury sedans and honestly the RL felt substantially better in quality (especially regarding the leather and the plastic). And kudos to Edmunds for not complaining about the RL's size, unlike other reviews that said it was small when in fact it is on par with the competition.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:23 AM
04 remembrance

Nothing can beat the value of an Acura.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:40 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by iamhomin
Nothing can beat the value of an Acura.
The car is so extremely well balanced...a jack of all trades...

Imagine how good the next-gen V8 powered RL will be...2011 isn't that far away...
Old 07-29-2005, 11:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172634

Old 07-29-2005, 12:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting to see some surprising votes from Edmunds. They usually go BMW no matter what the criteria.

Their acceleration times on all cars were extremely high though. I wonder how they measure or if it was done on hight altitude.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Not having a V-8 doesn't help either.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

If you want an eye-catching valet star, there are other cars that might be better. If you want the best all-wheel-drive luxury sport sedan for the money, the 2005 Acura RL is as good as it gets.
I guess this sums up what they were looking for. I think the AWD tech in the RL and its price made the difference. And if they voted according to real market pricing, it'd be first by even more points.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I cant believe that many of these sedans in this class nowadays basically average 4000 pounds of weight. That tells you that most of this power coming from the so called "HP wars" is actually necessary.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
I cant believe that many of these sedans in this class nowadays basically average 4000 pounds of weight. That tells you that most of this power coming from the so called "HP wars" is actually necessary.
They are freakin' heavy!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
04 remembrance

They're all so bitter in different ways.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:08 PM
04 remembrance

The "luxury" models should weight that much, given the technology advancement.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Drifting

This is the first time I've seen the RL win a comparo, usually it always comes in 2nd.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:18 PM

Oh man! I really don't understand what they find so attractive about that hideous Audi interior! It's the worst by FAR of the group!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by youngTL
Oh man! I really don't understand what they find so attractive about that hideous Audi interior! It's the worst by FAR of the group!

Have you sat in one?

So much nicer in person though
Old 07-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Senior Moderator

http://www.bmwnation.com/images/gall...erior_01_s.jpg

5er is the ugliest interior IMO

I guess i just a sucker for lots of buttons!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Drifting

Old 07-29-2005, 03:37 PM
The hair says it all

i think the audi is worlds worse then the bmw, i far prefer the audi over both
Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Have you sat in one?

So much nicer in person though
Have you seen the picture on edmunds? It's hideous in tan! HIDEOUS! Yes I've sat in the A6 before at the auto show. I liked the materials quality. I DID NOT like the (lack of) ergonomics, the toy steering wheel (it looks retarded IMO...Hyundai makes nicer steering wheels), or the "busyness" of the interior. There's too much stuff.

Audi needs to learn from Lexus and hide away some of those controls in a little drop down panel!!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:17 PM

http://www.bmwnation.com/images/gall...erior_01_s.jpg

5er is the ugliest interior IMO

I guess i just a sucker for lots of buttons!
What's wrong about the BMW's interior is not just that it's too stark. It also has dash curves that go the "wrong way." Like it's concave where it should be convex, and it slants away from the driver where it should slant towards. The total lack of a central feeling hurts it too. I hate it. Actually after a second look, I'd take the Audi's over this. But as far as interiors go, i think it goes RL>GS300>M35>A6>530
Old 07-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Safety Car

I like the A6, M, RL, and G interiors, they all have something unique and pretty damn nice; Bmw no.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Kabachitare!

Good going for Acura. I wish I could get a white one now.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Moderator Alumnus

The A6's interior is slightly better than the RL's overall (they are very close IMO), and it is better than all the rest in this comparo.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Python2121
i think the audi is worlds worse then the bmw, i far prefer the audi over both

How come?
Old 07-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Have you seen the picture on edmunds? It's hideous in tan! HIDEOUS! Yes I've sat in the A6 before at the auto show. I liked the materials quality. I DID NOT like the (lack of) ergonomics, the toy steering wheel (it looks retarded IMO...Hyundai makes nicer steering wheels), or the "busyness" of the interior. There's too much stuff.

Audi needs to learn from Lexus and hide away some of those controls in a little drop down panel!!
From a design perspective, you're right, Audi's interiors are not the best. But usually people put quality of materials used, as the number one priority and from that angle, they are number one. I hate the steering wheel also.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

What's wrong about the BMW's interior is not just that it's too stark. It also has dash curves that go the "wrong way." Like it's concave where it should be convex, and it slants away from the driver where it should slant towards. The total lack of a central feeling hurts it too. I hate it. Actually after a second look, I'd take the Audi's over this. But as far as interiors go, i think it goes RL>GS300>M35>A6>530

If you put design being as important a criterion as quality of materials, then the RL wins.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Safety Car

If you put design being as important a criterion as quality of materials, then the RL wins.
Think its 40/60 either way, great design with below average materials can be quite good, while boring same old design with great audi materials can be quite good.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:25 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 715 Likes on 432 Posts
Given the importance these reviews put on handling and fun to drive, it's amazing that all the manufacturers don't supply a sport package with the car. The Audi for example, it was the cheapest of the bunch, and it didn't come with a sport package. I'm sure it would have placed better if it had one. All the Infiniti reviews I've seen so far include the sporty 19" wheels and they always rank the car high in handling as a result.

For that matter, why doesn't Acura ever supply the RL with the A-Spec wheels? Aren't they available yet? If they aren't, they should be, if only for reviews.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Given the importance these reviews put on handling and fun to drive, it's amazing that all the manufacturers don't supply a sport package with the car. The Audi for example, it was the cheapest of the bunch, and it didn't come with a sport package. I'm sure it would have placed better if it had one. All the Infiniti reviews I've seen so far include the sporty 19" wheels and they always rank the car high in handling as a result.

For that matter, why doesn't Acura ever supply the RL with the A-Spec wheels? Aren't they available yet? If they aren't, they should be, if only for reviews.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:22 PM

That's what I've done. I'll emphasize again that it's in my mind. I could be sitting on the best leather in the world and touching the best plastics, but if they're laid out poorly, or it LOOKS ugly to me, then I wouldn't buy the vehicle. I usually like a nice balance between vehicle cost and interior materials. But there is no excuse for a poor design. I guess in some people's eyes, the design is good. But it isn't in mine.

Then again, if the interior looks striking, but the materials are too cheap, that's also a deal breaker. Me, I'm happy with Accord quality of leather and plastic. Anything more is a bonus.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Pinky all stinky

You'd really have to sit in the Audi to appreciate it. I agree that its design isn't the best, but it has by far the best interior quality. I remarked about the RL being the best out of the 3 Japanese interiors, but the Audi is even superior. Edmunds was right on by calling the switchgear on the RL cheap. The interior door release is actually plastic with plastic aluminum overlay - it's not real and solid feeling like in the TL. And it feels flimsy too.

I don't agree with their assessment of the gauges - the RL's gauges are legible, clear and they have a cool factor to them; I wouldn't classify it as cartoonish at all, though I can see where they would appreciate the classier looking chrome ringed look of the Audi gauges.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

That's what I've done. I'll emphasize again that it's in my mind. I could be sitting on the best leather in the world and touching the best plastics, but if they're laid out poorly, or it LOOKS ugly to me, then I wouldn't buy the vehicle. I usually like a nice balance between vehicle cost and interior materials. But there is no excuse for a poor design. I guess in some people's eyes, the design is good. But it isn't in mine.

Then again, if the interior looks striking, but the materials are too cheap, that's also a deal breaker. Me, I'm happy with Accord quality of leather and plastic. Anything more is a bonus.
Interior design is extremely important to me as well. I'd say 60% of my vote for overall interior performance goes to its design.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phile
You'd really have to sit in the Audi to appreciate it. I agree that its design isn't the best, but it has by far the best interior quality. I remarked about the RL being the best out of the 3 Japanese interiors, but the Audi is even superior. Edmunds was right on by calling the switchgear on the RL cheap. The interior door release is actually plastic with plastic aluminum overlay - it's not real and solid feeling like in the TL. And it feels flimsy too.

I don't agree with their assessment of the gauges - the RL's gauges are legible, clear and they have a cool factor to them; I wouldn't classify it as cartoonish at all, though I can see where they would appreciate the classier looking chrome ringed look of the Audi gauges.

I think the GS gauges are the best
And i believe they auto adjust to different lighting situations. Although the RL gauges come in very close

It's good to see the RL getting some good reviews, it really is a solid car.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Pinky all stinky

^^^^ When I first saw pics of the GS's gauge, I really liked them, reminded me of the excellent ones found on the Aston Martin DB9. But then I saw it in person and the plastic 'pod' surround just cheapens it. The metal-backed gauges didn't light up as nicely as I thought it would. The only thing I pretty much liked about it was the lit up needle; even the metal face plate wasn't as impressive. In summary it's just the regular Lexus electroluminescent lighting with a metal face plate, as opposed to plastic. Not as colorful as the RL's.

Quick Reply: Edmund's $50k AWD luxury sport-sedan Comparo...surprise ending...