Does TL really look like TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 11:57 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does TL really look like TSX?

Part of my problem is I haven't seen the TL in real because Canadian dealers don't have them yet. But the more I look at the pictures, the more I realize how different the TL looks from TSX. So for those who have seen or bought the TL, does it really look that similar to the TSX?

I always have a different "feel" when I look at the TL, maybe because I know before-hands when clicking a picture that it would be a TL.

I remember when the new Maxima just came out, I read all kinds of posts about how it looked exactly like the Altima. But when I see it in real, it looks so much different.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think the TL looks anything like the TSX (except the general shape of the headlights). I won't say what I think about how the TL looks by itself b/c I'll probably be flamed to death by all the TL lovers...

But anyway, I think the Maxima "deserves" to look a little more like the Altima (and the G35 too, really) b/c they're closer platform-wise than the TL and TSX. TL/TSX aren't the same size, and the Altima/Maxima/G35 basically are.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:10 PM
More On

I agree with Clutch about the Nissan thing but not the TL/TSX likeness (i.e. I think the TL and TSX do look very alike).

About the Nissans, lamster, I'm not sure so many people said they looked so much alike, or anyway I wouldn't say it. The thing is, their sizes are just so similar, and they're too similar in other ways also for people to have clear identities of them in their minds.

About the TSX/TL comparison, first of all the two cars are very similar in size, in all dimensions -- that's a fact. As to how alike they look, that's subjective. Maybe part of what it depends on is how much you know about cars, because the more you know, probably the more the exterior of the car "speaks" to you about the innards. Clutch knows a lot more about cars than I do, and maybe that's why the cars look more different to him than to me. But I'll bet that the great majority of the public will feel that the cars look VERY similar.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Pro

I saw a 2004 TL at Downtown Acura this morning hiding amongst the TSX's. While there is certainly some similarity, you can easily tell them apart.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:11 PM
Team NBP Stealth Fighter

Nope, they don't! Any attempts to draw any resemblance between the cars, aside from the front end, is a S-T-R-E-T-C-H!!

End of story.

Old 10-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Pro

The general size and shape is the same, but aside from the shape of the headlights all the "details" are different. The TL grill finish, side rearview mirrors, front bumper design, tail lights, side "character" line/groove, wheels, and the angle of cutoff for the side windows are all quite different from the TSX.

IMHO they share a family resemblence, but don't look like copies of one another like the Audi A4/A6.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:22 PM
TSX Lover

I picked my Vigor up yesterday from the dealer where it was being serviced. There were 5 new TL's surrounding where my friend and I parked. Desert Mist, Redondo Red, Anthracite, Satin Silver, and Night Hawk Black. Wait, the black one was a TSX. We both thought they we all TL's. He drove away and after closer inspection I soon realized my mistake. I informed him this morning that the black one was a TSX and he could hardly believe it.

The point of my little story is if you are just casually looking they look a lot a like. Both beautiful cars!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Cruisin'

I had my TSX in for its 10,000 mile service on Monday. Saw a new TL with a TSX right next to it. There are some similarities, but the TL looks much more aggressive and less rounded. It doesn't look bad at all, but it does look different from a TSX.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:33 PM
More On

Originally posted by jwaters943
The general size and shape is the same, but aside from the shape of the headlights all the "details" are different.....
Originally posted by prballard
.......There were 5 new TL's surrounding where my friend and I parked.....Wait, the black one was a TSX. We both thought they we all TL's......
I agree completely with both JW and PRB.

Funny, because even though I agree with JW on the factual details, we seem to differ in our overall impression. He seems to feel that despite the similarities, the cars don't strike him as being really similar. And to me, those similarities make the cars extremely similar indeed. It depends on what aspects determine whether we think cars are similar, plus, I guess, what each person's definition of "similar" is.

But while it's subjective for each one of us, there's something here that's going to be simply a fact, one way or the other: Will most people in general think the cars look similar, and will people be mistaking each for the other? It's subjective for each person, but the overall thing isn't, it will be a fact one way or the other. And we'll just have to see.

And I'd bet almost anything that by far most people's impression will be along the lines of what PRBallard and I are expressing: They'll feel the cars look very similar, and they'll very often mistake them for each other.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:59 PM
TSX Lover

I think the biggest difference between the 2 cars is one of the hardest to perceive. That is the TL is wider and lower than the TSX. Unless you are looking at a certain angle that is hard to see.

Take for example all the silver Acuras in the back of the Tl brochure. Does the TL really look that much different from the TSX when you are just casually looking?
Old 10-15-2003, 04:08 PM
Racer

Originally posted by larchmont
I agree completely with both JW and PRB.

And I'd bet almost anything that by far most people's impression will be along the lines of what PRBallard and I are expressing: They'll feel the cars look very similar, and they'll very often mistake them for each other.
That'll be a good thing, because it'd make people wanting to look more at your car, perhaps to find out whether it's a TSX or a TL

To me, the TL has a more "mature" look (not old, if that's what you think I meant) than the TSX. I don't way to say "men" comparing to "boys" because I don't want to upset the TSX owners (this is a TSX site after all). Those lines on the sides, the rear, the 2 square exhaust-pipes of the TL make it look more "grown-up", while the clean design of TSX offers a younger and care-free look.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:41 PM
More On

BTW, lamster, maybe you didn't see -- A couple weeks ago I wondered if that's your name, and if you're related to some people with that name who I knew back in school (Queens, NY)?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:41 PM
Racer

BTW, lamster, maybe you didn't see -- A couple weeks ago I wondered if that's your name, and if you're related to some people with that name who I knew back in school (Queens, NY)?
I missed that. Anyhow, I don't know anyone from Queens, so I guess the answer is "no".
Old 10-15-2003, 08:50 PM
TSX Lover

Originally posted by lamster
To me, the TL has a more "mature" look (not old, if that's what you think I meant) than the TSX. I don't way to say "men" comparing to "boys" because I don't want to upset the TSX owners (this is a TSX site after all). Those lines on the sides, the rear, the 2 square exhaust-pipes of the TL make it look more "grown-up", while the clean design of TSX offers a younger and care-free look.
I am not going to comment on the mature part. I think the character lines make the TL look European, but there is a lot about the car that courts Americans. Embossed Pontiac, I mean Acura on the front bumper for instance. I think the TSX is more classically European. It is based the European Accord after all. Clean lines are more of a sign of maturity, than carefree youth. Ops, I said I wasn't going to comment on that. Maybe it is just my over 40 senility seeping in. I think the TSX appeals more to younger people more than the TL because of the smaller size, spirited handling, and of course the 6 grand and change they are saving.

I can afford either car. I just want the best one of me. There are things love about both cars and few things I would prefer to see something different.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I disagree about the age thing. The TSX is definitely more European, which greatly appeals to my 58-year-old eyes. I wanted a smaller, faster car than my 99 Accord, and the TSX fills the bill.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:55 AM
such a dirty birdy

I don't think the TL and TSX look alike, but I can see how people could get them confused. Say for instance that someone looks up a TSX website, maybe even one that has "tsx" right in its name and yet half the chatter found there was actually about the TL. That kind of thing could be misleading.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:00 AM
Racer

Originally posted by majormojo
I don't think the TL and TSX look alike, but I can see how people could get them confused. Say for instance that someone looks up a TSX website, maybe even one that has "tsx" right in its name and yet half the chatter found there was actually about the TL. That kind of thing could be misleading.
TSX? TL? Hmmm, I hope I don't bring the wrong car home tomorrow...

-r
Old 10-16-2003, 02:08 AM
More On

Originally posted by acura_driver
TSX? TL? Hmmm, I hope I don't bring the wrong car home tomorrow...
Assuming you're serious.....GOOD LUCK!

(I guess it's the TL?)

P.S. Don't forget to make sure it has the HPCH.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:44 AM
Racer

Assuming you're serious.....GOOD LUCK!

(I guess it's the TL?)

P.S. Don't forget to make sure it has the HPCH.
Yes. Thanks!

Yes.

You remembered.

-r
Old 10-16-2003, 10:12 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by acura_driver
Yes. Thanks!

Yes.

You remembered.

-r
Don't forget the HPD too!
Old 10-16-2003, 10:22 AM
Racer

Originally posted by 2004TL
Don't forget the HPD too!
Ah yes, I actually had forgotton about that one! That was certainly a magical time here on a-tsx.

-r