Chicago Auto Show **Last Words and a Prediction (page 1)**

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Chicago Auto Show **Last Words and a Prediction (page 1)**

Tough new Tundra is the big news in Windy City - - By AUtomotive News - Source: Autoweek

CHICAGO - The spotlight at the Chicago Auto Show this week will be squarely on Toyota's redesigned 2007 Tundra - a bigger, bolder pickup aimed at the Ford F-150 and Chevrolet Silverado.

Toyota is so confident of the Tundra's success that two U.S. plants are being prepared to assemble the truck.

Trucks account for most of the world debuts at Chicago's McCormick Place:

Lincoln will unveil the re-engineered 2007 Navigator along with a new stretched version.

Dodge will expand its SUV line with the Nitro.

Hyundai will introduce its first minivan.

Nissan will unveil the Quest minivan with an upgraded interior.

Chevrolet spotlights the 2007 Avalanche.

A handful of new cars also will debut, including the redesigned Lexus ES 350 and the sporty Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart.

Press conferences are scheduled Wednesday, Feb. 8, and Thursday, Feb. 9. Here are the significant world debuts planned.

Chevrolet

General Motors will unveil its restyled and re-engineered Chevrolet Avalanche. The multifunctional pickup gets enhancements similar to those GM made on the 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe and Cadillac Escalade.

Dodge

Three world debuts are scheduled for the Dodge stand, including the Nitro SUV. (See story, at right.) Dodge also will unveil an SRT performance version of an unspecified existing model and a truck concept that executives say would take the brand in a new direction.

Honda

A concept car that is a variation of an existing model will be unveiled, but Honda is offering no details.

Hyundai

The production version of the 2007 Entourage minivan will be unveiled. The Entourage is a sibling of Kia's Sedona minivan.

The Sedona goes on sale this month in a long-wheelbase version. A short-wheelbase version arrives in late summer. The Hyundai edition will be in long-wheelbase format only, and will go on sale this summer. The Sedona will compete with the Dodge Grand Caravan, while the Entourage - with more upscale touches - goes against the Chrysler Town & Country.

International

Navistar International Corp. will take the wraps off two trucks: the redesigned 2007 International MXT, a large, four-door Hummer-like pickup and the production version of the four-door RXT concept that debuted at last year's Chicago show. The RXT featured a 22-foot pickup bed.

Lexus

The fifth generation of its ES 350 mid-sized near-luxury sedan will debut. The redesigned car, based on the Avalon platform, remains front-wheel drive. Lexus says the ES 350 will arrive in showrooms in late spring. There is no word on prices.

Lincoln

Ford Motor Co. is putting Lincoln front and center.

Lincoln will unveil the re-engineered 2007 Lincoln Navigator and its new companion, the extended-length Navigator L that targets Cadillac Escalade ESV buyers. The versions of the Navigator receive freshened front and rear styling, a new interior, a new frame and steering and handling improvements.

The Navigator and its sibling, the Ford Expedition, are the first vehicles on Ford's T1 architecture. The F-150 pickup eventually will move to this architecture and share front-end components.

Lincoln also will announce the availability of all-wheel drive and Ford's new 250-plus-hp 3.5-liter V-6 for the 2007 Zephyr.

Mercedes-Benz

The horsepower gets cranked up on Mercedes' six-passenger R-class crossover with the addition of a performance model, the 503-hp R63 AMG.

The 6.3-liter V-8 engine produces 465 pounds-feet of torque. Standard equipment includes awd and a seven-speed automatic transmission. Sales begin in August. This V-8 is the first engine developed entirely by AMG, Mercedes' performance arm.

Mitsubishi

The high-performance 2007 Galant Ralliart has a 258-hp, 3.8-liter V-6. The car features 18-inch wheels and a sport-tuned suspension.

Ralliart, Mitsubishi's motor sports group, also is responsible for the Lancer Evolution and Lancer Ralliart.

The Galant Ralliart has exterior styling changes that will be used in the restyled 2007 Galant. The car will be built at Mitsubishi's assembly plant in Normal, Ill.

Nissan

Nissan is counting on the 2007 Quest's new interior to boost the minivan's disappointing sales. One of the highlights of the interior is a new instrument panel, which positions the gauges in front of the driver. In the current Quest, gauges are in the center of the instrument panel. Some potential buyers said that was inconvenient and distracting.

Toyota

The most important introduction at the Chicago show will be the 2007 Toyota Tundra pickup.

The new Tundra, first seen as a concept at the Detroit auto show two years ago as the FTX, will be much larger than the current Tundra. Toyota is tired of criticism that the current Tundra is a seven-eighths-scale pickup. The new one is expected to be larger than existing Ford, GM and Dodge pickups.

The V-8 engine size is expected to grow from its current 4.7 liters to the 5.5-liter range, although there is a possibility of keeping the smaller engine as a price and fuel economy leader.

The pickup will be assembled in Princeton, Ind., and San Antonio. Sales are scheduled to begin early next year.

Mary Connelly, Rick Kranz, Jamie LaReau, Mark Rechtin and Amy Wilson contributed to this report
Old 02-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Moderator Alumnus

A concept car that is a variation of an existing model will be unveiled, but Honda is offering no details.
Hmmm...
Old 02-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
i think he was just quoting the original link...
Old 02-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

^ Yes sorry guys. It was supposed to be a quote and it's fixed now.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:30 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Sorry,

Has to be a coupe. Either that or an AWD TL. Or maybe a 08 concept MDX.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally, the AWD 250HP plus Zephyr becomes available. This should help justify the price hike.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Moderator Alumnus

If it's an ACura, it has got to be the MDX. If it's a Honda maybe it's a new crossover.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,589 Likes on 5,366 Posts
The horsepower gets cranked up on Mercedes' six-passenger R-class crossover with the addition of a performance model, the 503-hp R63 AMG.
I happened to get a good up-close look of an R-class parked on the street the other day, and let me just say that putting 503hp in it is just plain RIDICULOUS... the thing is a damn minivan.

Toyota is tired of criticism that the current Tundra is a seven-eighths-scale pickup. The new one is expected to be larger than existing Ford, GM and Dodge pickups.
SWEET!! Glad to see Toyota making this move.

Looks like many world debuts at the Chicago show.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

civic si sedan -- calling it right now.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:52 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Kwijybo19

Good call.

I call MDX.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
It was leaked on TOV about a week ago.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:16 PM
101 years of heartache...

Si sedan? Why are you wasting money on this, Honda?
Old 02-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

Great, another TSX.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:24 PM

no, really is.

just a waste of R&D money. Honda doesn't have cash to throw around. Why would they invest in this when a prospective Si buyer wants the coupe anyway?

I guess you can say they want this to go up against VW's A4 GLI.

Wait, I meant the Jetta. sorry
Old 02-06-2006, 03:41 PM
Pinky all stinky

This rumored Civic Si sedan should've been the new Civic EX. 140hp standard should've been what the previous gen Civic was carrying. There's no way they can market the sedan with the Si moniker, even if the performance was there, the body style isn't.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Senior Moderator

rad... they should do a Civic Si-R... with a V10.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gocubsgo55
Si sedan? Why are you wasting money on this, Honda?

They're going to sell every single one they build.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:36 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Great, another TSX.

Only quicker.

I wonder if they'll offer the Si Sedan with the 5 Speed AT w/paddle shift found in the CSX?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:00 PM
We dont love these hoes

I'm goin down to chicago this weekend, gonna check this out for sure. any of you guys know if the veyron will be there?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Honda's "Top Secret" Chicago Introduction Is Tomorrow

Date: February 07, 2006 16:27
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: TOV News
Credibility Rating: 10

Well, I've just arrived in Chicago and Tuan will be arriving later this evening. This is in preparation for Honda's "top secret" World Introduction tomorrow at 3PM.

If you've been paying attention to the news section and our forums here for the last few months, the introduction is not a secret. We're not sure why Honda's trying to keep such a tight lid on it, but I guess it's to keep everybody wondering until the last minute. Over the past few days I've looked around the web and apparently we're the only folks who are aware of what's being shown, or the other outlets know but are being subjected to blackmail tactics to keep a lid on it.

We're going to do our best NOT to ruin the surprise for Honda - it's only 24 hours away, but if you look around here enough I'm sure you'll figure it out.

DING DING DING!! IT'S THE CIVIC SI SEDAN!!!
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=494449
Old 02-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

Guess gotta milk the goat.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Senior Moderator

damn... Chicago is getting a TON of world premieres!!! kinda crazy... they have got many premieres in the past as well, but I feel like the number this year is higher than normal.

here's a couple others I haven't seen mentioned here yet:

Nissan’s Titan Onyx Concept
International CXT Extreme
Old 02-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2006 Chicago Auto Show: Last Words - - by Paul A. Eisenstein and Marty Padgett - - Source; The Car Connection

Paul A. Eisenstein
Publisher

Biggest Story: Could it be anything other than the new Toyota Tundra? TheChicago show was once the nation's biggest, and it's beginning to regain some traction lately, than to previews like this one.

Best New Concept: Dodge Rampage. Reports of the death of the domestic pickup could be greatly exaggerated - at least if this is a sign of things to come.

Best New Vehicle: The 2008 Toyota Tundra. During Detroit's winter of discontent, could anything be so distressing as the sight of the first Japanese truck with the potential to really become a mainstay in the domestic-dominated pickup segment?

Predictions: With Toyota and Honda clearly in the lead in the hybrid market segment, the Big Three need something to prove their own environmental credentials. Well, Kermit the Frog was right: it isn't easy being green. Unless we see a big surge in the number of E85 fuel pumps across the U.S., and fast, Detroit 's sudden passion for ethanol will prove little more than a short-lived flash in the pan.

Marty Padgett

Editor and producer

Biggest Story: By my internal sensors, it was the "well, okay" reception for the Tundra. As one fellow journalist put it, "Well, it's important for them." The not entirely handsome Tundra surely will come in hybrid and heavy-duty versions, so there is reason for concern. But the domestics are already planning on those models and are rolling out updated versions of their own segment leaders. For now, it seems, the most likely victim of the new Tundra's success will be the Nissan Titan.

Best New Concept: Honda's Civic Si four-door is a natural. So why haven't they done one before? Oh, wait, it's because this is the first four-door to actually look the Si part. Never mind.

Best New Vehicle: A split vote between the Chevy Avalanche and Hyundai Entourage. The Avalanche gets good marks for taking the right idea and thoroughly vetting it in the second generation. Take a look inside and you'll see how serious GM is about good interiors. With the Entourage, it's easy to see the minivan and the cloned Sedona taking over for Ford and GM in the minivan race they can't seem to compete in - at a lower price with a better look than the updated Nissan Quest or the dowdy Sienna. That market game is down to Odyssey, Caravan, and Sedona/Entourage, by most any measure.

Predictions: The Chicago show has spent 16 years trying to end-game around Detroit 's first-tier status, and they just may do it in the next two years with the addition of more space at McCormick Place . The domestic brands have outgrown Cobo and there's no solution in sight. Meanwhile, Chicago 's convention center is cavernous, convenient, and it's surrounded by a first-rate city. With the move of the L.A. show to November, my prediction is that Detroit will get de-emphasized and the auto industry will move more in the direction of year-round introductions, beefing up their presence at Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and maybe even Miami to avoid the hassles of wedging themselves into Cobo right after the holidays.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

yeahhh!!! i want the auto show to be the way i remember it when I was a kid!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Banned

Huh? NAIAS isn't going anywhere.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M TYPE X
Huh? NAIAS isn't going anywhere.
I went the year before. Detroit is scary. It's like giant ghost town.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:17 PM

Just got back. The common them clearly was fuel efficiency and transmission technology, in my opinion.

Top cars (I actually sat in);
M5, Z06, Legacy B-Spec, Si, GTI, S8
Old 02-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Loseit
I went the year before. Detroit is scary. It's like giant ghost town.
Chicago is scary. Too much traffic and Chicago drivers. Parking is even more of a bitch.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Went to it yesterday, with my boss.

Many things to write about and very little time, but if I had to pick one is to write about the GMT900 trucks and specifically the Tahoe. VERY NICE JOB by GM, no doubt here folks! This thing is very well built, the interior is better than what we see in the photos and for the segment a huge leap ahead. Actually I dare to say that few if any, would have a better quality interior in that segment. It's that good. Finally, these things are huge! They look very substantial and hence even with such high gas prices they are very hard to say no-to from the market priced like they are! The Tahoe looks the best to me from the exterior from all GMT900s with the Escalade a close second. And that says a lot about how careful they are with Chevy.

Lots more to write about...
Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Senior Moderator

some of my pix from the show... you might be able to tell I really liked the S65.... damn. this car did not impress me much from the pictures.. in fact I didn't like it. this car looks SO GOOD in person.... I especially like the front end... and crazy brake calipers!!

http://srika.com/2006_chicago_auto_show.html

no 56k plz.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Banned

Could you actually sit in some Benzes at the Chicago show? Like I said, it was a ripoff if you went to NAIAS solely to check out Benzes, because they weren't letting people open up the doors of any of the cars on display.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:08 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
s65 is
Old 02-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Could you actually sit in some Benzes at the Chicago show? Like I said, it was a ripoff if you went to NAIAS solely to check out Benzes, because they weren't letting people open up the doors of any of the cars on display.
Yes you could. Not the really really nice ones - but the standard models, yes.

btw I wish I woulda gone w/ one of my buddies last Saturday, he works for a dealership associated with Continental Motors and so he got into the Ferrari/Maserati area. He got to sit in the MC12 race car, just because one of the guys there decided to open its door. I got into that area w/ a friend who has a F355 but we just walked around and took some pix.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Master Graphic Artist

I might hit that up on Sunday. I'll have my new D50 with me to take plenty of pictures.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Pinky all stinky

It's the same at the NY show. Some years, you could get into the Audi A8. Last year, they locked it. At the merc stand, some of the S-Classes were locked, some you could sit in.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phile
It's the same at the NY show. Some years, you could get into the Audi A8. Last year, they locked it. At the merc stand, some of the S-Classes were locked, some you could sit in.
I guess they just keep everything locked over in Detroit...
Old 02-18-2006, 05:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Predictions: The Chicago show has spent 16 years trying to end-game around Detroit 's first-tier status, and they just may do it in the next two years with the addition of more space at McCormick Place . The domestic brands have outgrown Cobo and there's no solution in sight. Meanwhile, Chicago 's convention center is cavernous, convenient, and it's surrounded by a first-rate city. With the move of the L.A. show to November, my prediction is that Detroit will get de-emphasized and the auto industry will move more in the direction of year-round introductions, beefing up their presence at Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and maybe even Miami to avoid the hassles of wedging themselves into Cobo right after the holidays.
I'm tired of the way the Cleveland auto show is constantly ignored by the automotive press even though it is the fifth largest in attendance in the U.S. and our IX Center easily accomodates more than Cobo. For the last few years this car show junkie has been going to Detroit for the exclusive intros. But I wish they'd do a few more intros in Cleveland than they do currently. While our city is obviously not first-tier, I thought our auto show was.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^ damn.. I didnt' even know Cleveland had an auto show.

it doesn't get much press at all, does it.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

nice recap of the new models at the show.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10654
Old 02-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

IN most MBs, yes, you could sit inside.

Quick Reply: Chicago Auto Show **Last Words and a Prediction (page 1)**