Chevrolet: Volt news **Production Cut (page 8)**

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:38 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
^ +1

Was at the LA Auto show today too. Don't like it. And the interior is very cheap plastic looking/feeling, IMO.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 439 Likes on 322 Posts
I'll be sure to check this out at the auto show when I go. According to the reviews I've read, its been pretty good. From pics I kinda like the front and the interior looks futuristic.

Dunno if this was mentioned but GE ordered 12 or 15000 volts. At least if this initially doesnt sell well for GM they have at least one large order. Then theres the fact that all the celebrities and everyone trying to show the "green" image will probably get this car.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
This is about as wacky as the CRZ winning the Japan COTY.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by speedemon90

Dunno if this was mentioned but GE ordered 12 or 15000 volts. At least if this initially doesnt sell well for GM they have at least one large order. Then theres the fact that all the celebrities and everyone trying to show the "green" image will probably get this car.
That's the problem - it will fail for the same reason the stimulus didn't do much - it's a one time subsidy that has no natural long term market.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:10 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
So basically when the Model S comes out, Chevy pretty much kills this, right?
Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Race Director

Never mind any future model - any person who does the math (and hasn't been brainwashed by the tree-huggers) would pick a Cruze at less than 1/2 the price. Or if you are a tree hugger you can get a Leaf or Prius for 10k less.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I think this first gen Volt is gonna be a failure.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts

After yesterday's 99 miles per gallon (equivalent) EPA rating for the Nissan Leaf, General Motors had to be eager to get the numbers for the Chevy Volt from the government – if for no other reason than because these efficiency stickers are the last thing holding up deliveries of the first production vehicles.

Today, GM shared the official numbers with the world, and they range from 37 miles per gallon to 93 mpge (equivalent) combined to 60 mpg "composite." Sixty mpg composite is a "combined, combined" number, and will be completely different for everyone. You might want to think of it as a lifetime figure, since it accounts for both electricity and gasoline consumed. Oh, and it's also best in class for compact cars. The Volt's official electric-only range will be 35 miles, but GM, like Nissan, has been giving a range recently of 25-50 miles. The Volt now has an official total range of 379 miles, with 344 miles of that being extended range (i.e., gas) driving. As Tony DiSalle, Chevrolet product marketing director, said, "If you try to boil it down to a single number, it gets quite difficult."

Doug Parks, Chevrolet Volt Global Vehicle Line Executive, said he is "quite pleased" with the numbers and understands that it is a complicated story to tell. GM and the EPA worked together to come up with this label to figure in all of the different modes that impact the vehicle's efficiency. We've heard that the 2011 Volt will have a temporary EPA label, but Parks told us that what you see above will likely be what we see in next year, saying "Our intent was not to do something that was a one-year deal. Our hope is that this is very similar to the path that everyone will go down in the future. We tried to make the label look as similar as it can to next year."

So, what about that "230 mpg" GM touted last year. Well, that was a different way to calculate things. "230 by itself was never intended to be a composite number," Parks said.

[Source: GM]
Old 11-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not impressed. We have little European cars that can exceed 70 mpg. This does another 20 mpg which is a big deal, but it's far from this revolutionary move forward that it's claimed to be.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:13 PM

I think it's just a stepping stone to what's next. I'm sure when cars first started having fuel injection, it had its benefits but it was prohibitively expensive compared to everything else. Slowly it became more and more popular, now every car has it, basically. Then the same thing happened with direct injection, which is gaining more and more popularity with each year. Same thing with hybrids. Then.... "electric vehicles" like the Volt and Leaf?

I'm not saying cars like the Volt and the Leaf are going to be ubiquitous in the future, but I'm sure that there will be more of them and they'll gradually get better and better efficiency, and hopefully at lower prices.

The concept is still strange to me, it uses the gas engine to drive the electric motor. With that in mind, I guess basically using a gas engine and getting 37 mpg combined is decent, though not amazing.

Keep in mind those European cars you're talking about are probably tiny, powered by 1.3 liter engines and Smart car-sized. Would you drive one of those? I wouldn't.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
Not impressed. We have little European cars that can exceed 70 mpg. This does another 20 mpg which is a big deal, but it's far from this revolutionary move forward that it's claimed to be.
those dont have zero emissions for the first 35 miles though.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

True.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:35 AM
Race Director

So, what about that "230 mpg" GM touted last year. Well, that was a different way to calculate things. "230 by itself was never intended to be a composite number," Parks said.
Like most marketing gimmicks we lied to get hype going.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Race Director

They also don't have a battery pack and other things that produce pollution during manufacturing and disposal.

....and they don't need coal derived electricity to run.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:20 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
They also don't have a battery pack and other things that produce pollution during manufacturing and disposal.

....and they don't need coal derived electricity to run.

All depends on where you live, 20% of US electrical energy is nuclear. Unfortunately most is coal
Old 11-25-2010, 07:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Bob Lutz and the project manager on the Volt have stated those thoughts many times. GM tried the same on the EV1 and learned the painful lesson on the pure electric route. The Volt gets GM on a technology roadmap for a advanced hybrid powertrain that hopefully they can maintain the lead on.

In terms of costs, it really depends on how much your electricity costs. In MD, with $0.10-0.13/KWh it will cost ~$4 to drive a Volt a 100 miles. With regular gas at ~$3/gallon, that's still the equivalent of 75MPG relative to the cost of gas.

Here are average electricity cost across the US.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html

I hope the Volt is a eventual success not only for GM but also for the hopeful benefit of energy reduction. It's a big gamble for GM, but the big factor with the Volt is the ability to travel long distance and that should provide a big incentive to folks leary of all electric vehicles.

Originally Posted by Costco
I think it's just a stepping stone to what's next. I'm sure when cars first started having fuel injection, it had its benefits but it was prohibitively expensive compared to everything else. Slowly it became more and more popular, now every car has it, basically. Then the same thing happened with direct injection, which is gaining more and more popularity with each year. Same thing with hybrids. Then.... "electric vehicles" like the Volt and Leaf?

I'm not saying cars like the Volt and the Leaf are going to be ubiquitous in the future, but I'm sure that there will be more of them and they'll gradually get better and better efficiency, and hopefully at lower prices.

The concept is still strange to me, it uses the gas engine to drive the electric motor. With that in mind, I guess basically using a gas engine and getting 37 mpg combined is decent, though not amazing.

Keep in mind those European cars you're talking about are probably tiny, powered by 1.3 liter engines and Smart car-sized. Would you drive one of those? I wouldn't.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-25-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Race Director

^ none of that matters when you basically get a $20K Cruze for $40K. The math just doesn't add up.

The thing has been lost on a lot of people is that the Volt (and other plugins) is that it only works for a small portion of consumers - people who have a garage and have room in it to park the car in it.

Last edited by biker; 11-25-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:39 AM
AZ Community Team

At current energy prices it'll take 500K miles to break even. However many folks don't buy cars with math and economics, why buy a 911 when a Vette costs ~60% the price.

The market segment is most likely going to be urban drivers. However you don't need a garage only a outlet. I can imagine alot of folks using a 120VAC line going out to a carport or in front of a townhouse. The problem I see is the longer charging time of 120 vs. 240.

It's a start, remains to be seen how it will do. During interviews Lutz and others kept emphazing how the 1G and early 2G Prius's were sold below manufcaturing costs (not even design and development costs which I imagine were also signifcant). He never produced a BOM for costs, which to me would have been hard since alot of the Prius's drivetrain is made by Toyota including the electric motors.

Originally Posted by biker
^ none of that matters when you basically get a $20K Cruze for $40K. The math just doesn't add up.

The thing has been lost on a lot of people is that the Volt (and other plugins) is that it only works for a small portion of consumers - people who have a garage and have room in it to park the car in it.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-25-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
The market segment is most likely going to be urban drivers. However you don't need a garage only a outlet. I can imagine alot of folks using a 120VAC line going out to a carport or in front of a townhouse.
I just don't see people doing that - maybe on a nice day when they happen to remember. The Volt is the DCT of the plugin world and the Leaf is the MT. With the Leaf you don't have a choice but to plug it in - with the Volt, after the novelty wears off and people get lazy, they'll just run it on the gas engine most of the time.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:03 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,821 Likes on 3,734 Posts
I know I'm late to this party but....Am I understanding this correctly: 35 miles worth of electric running, then it's gas the rest of the way?
Old 11-25-2010, 11:13 AM
AZ Community Team

^, yep that's the story
Old 11-25-2010, 11:18 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 5,821 Likes on 3,734 Posts
Ok...then I'm officially as to what's the point of this car? Just for GM to be able to say we can build a semi-EV? Price it beyond what the average person will pay compared to a Prius etc.?

Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by pttl
Ok...then I'm officially as to what's the point of this car? Just for GM to be able to say we can build a semi-EV? Price it beyond what the average person will pay compared to a Prius etc.?

Just doesn't make sense to me.
Simple, technology introduction product.

Hopefully the tech will be adopted and expanded into other products for GM. This opens the door to creating the various vendor supply chains to supply components and evolve the technology. In the end if the component vendor base expands and newer battery technology evolves the cost of the vehicle will come down dramatically as well. Also gets the end user to change over to electricity over gas for short distance driving.

Not gonna happen overnight but the bigger goal is to improve the infrastructure slowly to allow the adoption of EV at home mostly and in urban area's.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
President Barack Obama’s administration has bought almost a fourth of the Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co. hybrid vehicles sold since he took office, accelerating federal purchases as consumer demand wanes.

The U.S. General Services Administration, which runs the government fleet, bought at least 14,584 hybrid vehicles in the past two fiscal years, or about 10 percent of 145,473 vehicles the agency purchased in that period, according to sales data obtained by Bloomberg under a Freedom of Information Act request. In fiscal 2008, hybrids accounted for less than 1 percent of government purchases, the data showed.

The government is boosting investment in a technology that has failed to win broad acceptance after more than a decade in the marketplace. Consumer sales of hybrids are headed for their third consecutive yearly decline. Government agencies and businesses have said they also will purchase all-electric models being introduced by automakers including GM.

“At some point, the reality is that for this technology to be accepted, it needs to be done without a government crutch,” said Jeff Schuster, director of forecasting at J.D. Power & Associates in Troy, Michigan. “But without a huge gas-price increase or further government demand, the natural demand just isn’t to be there.”

Stimulus Money Used

About 3,100 of the hybrids purchased by GSA were paid for out of $300 million that the agency received from the 2009 economic stimulus package, said Sara Merriam, a spokeswoman for the agency, in an interview. Another 5,600 were bought with proceeds from selling older cars in the government fleet, she said. A majority of fiscal 2009 hybrid sales came after Obama took office in January 2009.

“This is the beginning,” Merriam said. “Our main goal is to increase the fuel efficiency of the federal fleet. The other goal is to drive the market toward cleaner technologies. It’s in the early stages of the government acquiring more hybrids and in larger quantities.”

The models purchased by the government ranged from $23,072 to $47,079, according to the data.

The government paid an average of $5,281 less for its hybrid vehicles than sticker prices at a dealership, according to a comparison of the GSA purchase data with prices collected by Edmunds.com, a consumer information website.

Global sales of hybrids, plug-in hybrids and electric cars are projected to be 954,500 vehicles, or 2.2 percent of the 44.7 million passenger vehicles projected to be sold this year, J.D. Power said in an Oct. 27 report. That may rise to 5.2 million units in 2020, according to the report.

Not Cost Competitive

“The lesson learned is that it isn’t easy to make these vehicles mainstream,” said Brett Smith, who specializes in alternative propulsion vehicles at the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor, Michigan. “They are still not near the point where they are cost-competitive in the market.”

Toyota Motor Corp. sold the first hybrid Prius in Japan in 1997 and Honda Motor Co. introduced the first hybrid to the U.S. in 1999. Total U.S. hybrid sales since then have been about 1.8 million, or about 1 percent of the 175 million cars and trucks sold during that period. More than half of those hybrids were Prius models.

The U.S. government buys hybrids almost exclusively from Ford and GM. It bought only 17 Prius models and five of Honda’s Civic hybrids in the past two years. Chrysler Group LLC stopped making hybrids in 2008 after about two months of production.

The government purchased about 64 percent of GM’s Chevy Malibu hybrid models and 29 percent of all Ford Fusion hybrids manufactured since Obama took office in 2009, the data show. GM stopped making the Malibu hybrid in 2009 after lack of consumer demand.

Leading by Example

GSA also bought about 14 percent of Ford Escape hybrids. Obama leased a hybrid Escape for himself in May 2007, before he was elected president. He turned it in this year because he’s rarely allowed to drive.

“It is good that the government leads by example,” Dan Becker, director of the Washington-based Safe Climate Campaign, said in an interview. “At a time when we’re just beginning the era of the hybrid, it’s a positive sign that the government is stepping up to the plate and helping build that market.”

The next wave of new technology vehicles are so-called plug-in hybrids and electric models. GM’s Chevrolet Volt, which has a gasoline engine primarily for charging the battery, and Nissan Motor Co.’s full-electric Leaf go on sale later this year. Ford’s Transit Connect electric delivery van is already on sale.

Plug-In Goals

Obama has set a goal of 1 million plug-in vehicles on the road by 2015 and has committed more than $11 billion in taxpayer funding to help support the technology.

GSA has accepted bids for contracts that may supply 100 electric delivery vehicles from a Ford dealership in Minnesota and Smith Electric, an affiliate of Washington, England-based Tanfield Group, the agency said on its website.

Hybrid and electric vehicles can be $3,000 to $20,000 more expensive than gasoline models, Smith said. The U.S. offers as much as $7,500 in tax credits for the purchase of plug-in vehicles and about a dozen U.S. states offer additional incentives.

Hybrid and electric vehicle technology only makes sense if it can stand without government support, Ford Chief Executive Alan Mulally told Detroit-area supplier executives in a Nov. 8 speech that was closed to the media.

“He was saying, ‘You have to have a business that doesn’t need all these government incentives,’” Karen Hampton, a Ford spokeswoman said, recounting the talk. “Incentives have a role to play when you’re trying to get new technology off the ground or change behaviors, but it’s not meant to be a permanent part of the business equation.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/print/...er-market.html

Crazy
Old 11-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Race Director

The thing is "regular" vehicles' mileage is improving so much that hybrids and EV make less sense than ever. When the main stream fairly large sedans like the Accord and Sonata get 35MPG hwy (and smaller ones approach 40), why would a consumer plunk down much more money for hybrids and EVs that have only incrementally smaller mileage gains? The mileage on the Cruze is very similar to the Volt on the gas engine at half the price. And the environmental benefits of hybrids and EVs is overstated at best.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Checked this out at the autoshow. First thing I thought when I looked at the center console is, it looked pretty futuristic. Second thing was, it was really cluttered. Well cluttered in a sense, they have a white square panel and they just tossed in all the buttons. And the print is kinda small. You would have to know where everything is when you're driving, which wont be a problem when the cars been yours for a while. But starting off I assume it would be a PITA. Otherwise I saw no real complaint. But like its what 40k? IIRC there was no leather in the one I checked out. Is there an option?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s3dZfvTLbBE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s3dZfvTLbBE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 12-02-2010, 09:09 PM
_____ like a rabbit

assembly video...
Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Post Doubts

With the Chevrolet Volt collecting awards at a dizzying pace, this extended-range electric car or hybrid plus warrants a closer look to see if it truly lives up to the hype. We have spent significant time behind the wheel, including last month in a Volt borrowed from General Motors. This loan provided first-hand experience living with it—driving, charging, and fueling. We’ll be buying our own as soon as they go on sale here in Connecticut. Meanwhile, here are our initial findings.

The most commonly asked questions we get about the Volt are what is it like compared with a hybrid; how far can it go before needing a recharge; and what sort of energy use or fuel economy do you actually get. I’ll address the range question 1st.

Since the Volt runs on battery power for the first 30 to 40 miles, any mpg figure is meaningless without knowing the length of your trip and whether you recharge the battery along the way. Any cost associated with running a Volt will depend on the price of electric power in your area. The EPA has recently announced the mpg estimates it has calculated and that will be affixed to Volt’s window stickers. We lay out our experience below.

To get a sense of the Volt’s energy consumption in typical real-world use, we had several staffers pilot the car on their daily commutes and then we logged both the fuel they used, if any, and the electricity it took to recharge the batteries, using one of the commercial-grade chargers we have at our Auto Test Center.

On the whole, we found that in electric mode the Volt uses energy more sparingly than any other hybrid or diesel car. We also found that its fuel consumption when it’s operating on the gasoline-fueled engine is not that great. Bear in mind that these findings are anecdotal and are not the official ones that we’ll publish after testing our own Volt thoroughly.

Our Volt experience:

The Volt uses its battery power upfront, running all-electric until the battery is substantially depleted, and then using the gasoline engine to generate power to run it further. GM initially claimed a 40-mile all-electric range but recently moderated that to “between 25 and 50 miles.” We typically got between 29 and 34 miles when running on electricity alone.

We kept the car’s climate control in Auto mode during our trials, and the outdoor temperatures averaged about 50 degrees F during our stint with the Volt. As in all EV cars, running the heater cuts down the electric range significantly. We used our Coulomb Technologies charging stations, which at 220-volt level took about four hours and 20 minutes per session and consumed about 12.5 kWh of electricity each time.

Here’s an example of how mpg is a function of the trip mileage: During one 72-mile mostly highway commute, the car ate up its electric range in 29 miles and posted an overall fuel consumption of 60 mpg. The energy consumed came from a full electric charge and 1.1 gallons of gasoline. Piling on 130 more miles without charging resulted in 48 mpg. (For comparison, our Toyota Prius gets 47 mpg on that particular 200-mile route. Read our impressions of the upcoming Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid.)

Over numerous trips, our collective average for electric-only range was 33 miles. Once the battery is depleted and the car is essentially using only gasoline as its fuel, we averaged 30 mpg overall in mixed driving. While 30 mpg is good in general, it is no better than a conventional small sedan or subcompact.

Cost parity:

Clearly, reaping the benefits of electric-car use means keeping the Volt’s battery charged up as much as possible. When we did that, and the Volt only used its gas engine occasionally, the car’s on-board computer indicated we were getting six-figure mpg display of 120 mpg or so. But such a fantastic number is misleading since it ignores the cost of the 12 kWh of electricity we were “pumping” into the car every 33 miles or so. Here in the Northeast, or in California, that ends up being about $2.38 (With the national average of 11cents per kWh, it would be $1.38.)

That raises the question of which other cars give you 33 miles for $2.38. With today’s national average for regular at $2.96, that equates to 41 mpg. That’s comparable to, say, a Honda Civic Hybrid (37 mpg) or Honda Insight (38 mpg). Calculating price parity with the diesel world, using diesel prices at $3.20/gallon, it works out to be 44 mpg. That brings to mind the manual-transmission Volkswagen Golf TDI or Jetta TDI, which deliver 38 and 36 mpg overall, respectively. So in these conditions, the Volt comes out ahead of virtually all fuel sippers except for the Toyota Prius on cost per mile. The Prius yields 44 mpg overall consistently. The Volt, which will set you back something like $33,500 even after federal tax credits, is considerably more expensive to buy than any of these cars. And, it’s only a 4-seater.

PHP Code:
Cost parity for initial 33 miles EV range

In NY
/CT at 19c/kwh

National average 11c
/kwh
Cost

$2.38

$1.38
mpg 
for equivalent cost

41 mpg

71 mpg 
Volt energy consumption: Since the cost of gasoline and electricity are variables that tend to be in constant flux, and often apply a specific geographical factor to the Volt’s merits, it would be appropriate to look at the Volt in a purely scientific way. In electric mode, we averaged 38 kWh/100 miles. For comparison, according to the window sticker, the EPA estimates 36 kWh/100 miles. Given that 33.7 kWh has been established as the energy equivalent of one mpg by the EPA, our average use worked out to 89 mpg-equivalent (MPGe) in electric mode. But before we jump with joy, remember, this applies only to the initial 33 miles of electric-only range.

PHP Code:
Miles/kWh

kWh
/100 miles

MPGe in EV mode

MPG gasoline only

38 kWh

89 MPGe

30 mpg 
What about the driving experience?

We’ve commented previously on the Volt’s quick, smooth, powerful acceleration in EV mode. The transition to gasoline mode is smooth and the car continues to feel responsive. There is some muted engine hum in the background, and sometimes during coasting the revs are kept up instead of dropping to idle, which garnered comments ranging from “odd” to “annoying.” When I described this to Micky Bly, GM’s executive director for electrical systems, at the LA Auto Show, he said that backing off on the revs during coasting is in the works. Even when the electric power is gone, the Volt saves some of its battery capacity (GM calls it “buffer”) to be able to power the car electrically at low speeds, while in reverse, and for maintaining accessories while it shuts off at idle, as with other hybrids. For that purpose, the battery management system keeps it at about 20-percent charged. The buffer is also used to provide extra oomph while climbing a long hill.

Interim conclusion:

The Volt works, but depending on how it is used and where, it may not save you money, especially in the Northeast or California. In those regions especially, the Prius remains a proven, more cost-effective choice for green motoring.

Of course, money-saving is not the Volt’s only raison-de-d’être. This is an electric-drive car that conserves energy in electric mode and does not come with range anxiety. As such, it advances the cause of reducing greenhouse gases and reducing our reliance on foreign oil. According to our recent green-car survey, saving money is not the number one goal for EV intenders, anyway.

It goes without saying that if gasoline prices go up significantly, or if you live in a region where electricity is cheap, then any cost-based energy-use calculation will tip the scales more in the Volt’s favor—but there is no getting around the high purchase price and modest fuel economy if straying beyond the EV range.

We’ll dig into the Volt deeper once we purchase one and run it through our extensive test program.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Race Director

Of course, money-saving is not the Volt’s only raison-de-d’être. This is an electric-drive car that conserves energy in electric mode and does not come with range anxiety. As such, it advances the cause of reducing greenhouse gases and reducing our reliance on foreign oil. According to our recent green-car survey, saving money is not the number one goal for EV intenders, anyway.
Right, the reason for having an EV is to subsidize the coal fueled power plants.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:46 PM

lol, FAIL!

My 2 top choices for great fuel economy and utility remain the Prius and Golf TDI. And if you want to throw utility out the window.... it would have to be a motorcycle
Old 12-22-2010, 05:57 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The Volt should have been killed as a part of the GM bankruptcy.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:10 PM
_____ like a rabbit

interesting tid bit about the volt

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/22/g...-louisiana-ge/
Old 12-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Race Director

^As the article points out, that "recycling" is as much a PR stunt as anything else.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Race Director

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...sense%E2%80%99

Consumer Reports offered a harsh initial review of the Chevrolet Volt, questioning whether General Motors Co.'s flagship vehicle makes economic "sense."The extended-range plug-in electric vehicle is on the cover of the April issue — the influential magazine's annual survey of vehicles — but the GM vehicle comes in for criticism.
"When you are looking at purely dollars and cents, it doesn't really make a lot of sense. The Volt isn't particularly efficient as an electric vehicle and it's not particularly good as a gas vehicle either in terms of fuel economy," said David Champion, the senior director of Consumer Reports auto testing center at a meeting with reporters here. "This is going to be a tough sell to the average consumer."

The magazine said in its testing in Connecticut during a harsh winter, its Volt is getting 25 to 27 miles on electric power alone.
GM spokesman Greg Martin noted that it's been an extremely harsh winter — and as a Volt driver he said he's getting 29-33 miles on electric range. But he noted that in more moderate recent weather, the range jumped to 40 miles on electric range or higher.
Champion believes a hybrid, such as the Toyota Prius, may make more sense for some trips.
"If you drive about 70 miles, a Prius will actually get you more miles per gallon than the Volt does," Champion said.
But GM has noted that most Americans can avoid using gasoline for most regular commuting with the Volt, while its gasoline engine can allow the freedom to travel farther, if needed.

The magazine has put about 2,500 miles on its Volt. It paid $48,700, including a $5,000 markup by a Chevy dealer.
Champion noted the Volt is about twice as expensive as a Prius.
He was said the five hour time to recharge the Volt was "annoying" and was also critical of the power of the Volt heating system.
"You have seat heaters, which keep your body warm, but your feet get cold and your hands get cold," Champion said.
Consumer Reports will release a full road test of the Volt later this year and will update it.
Champion praised the heater on the all-electric Nissan Leaf - which Consumer Reports borrowed from the Japanese automaker -- but said it also got very short ranges in very cold weather.
On one commute, his range in a Leaf was at 43 miles when he turned onto an eight-mile stretch of highway, but it fell from 43 to 16 miles after eight miles at 70 mph.
"If it keeps on going down at this rate, will I get to work," Champion said.
Champion said in an interview he thinks the Volt "will sell the quantity that they want to sell to the people that really want it."
Despite his criticism of the Volt, Champion praised its acceleration and acknowledged that under certain driving cycles, consumers could mostly avoid using gasoline. The magazine noted the Volt is nicely equipped and has a "taut yet supple ride."
But he said there are a lot of trade-offs.
"They are going to live with the compromises the vehicle delivers," Champion said. "When you look at it from a purely logical point of view, it doesn't make an awful lot of sense."
Before Consumer Reports decides whether to recommend the Volt, it needs data from at least 100 subscribers who own one, and a year of reliability data.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Race Director

When you look at it from a purely logical point of view, it doesn't make an awful lot of sense.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:50 AM
AZ Community Team

I saw that article yesterday, sad . Woulda though GM had done a better job with the engineering to get respectable numbers to prove itself over a wider range of driving conditions.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:09 AM
6th Gear

Ugly dont like it
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Simply put the Tech and industry simply arent ready for this stuff yet. It dosnt need to be out there.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Race Director

The 2011 Chevrolet Volt will have a resale value of a tick over $17,000 after 36 months, the length of an average lease, according to Kelley Blue Book. That's only 42 percent of the plug-in hybrid's $41,000 MSRP. KBB's projection assumes that the going rate for a gallon of gas will hold steady at $4/gallon 36 months from now.

Eric Ibara, director of residual value consulting at Kelley, told Automotive News that the Volt's projected residual value may seem to be on the low side. But, as Ibara points out, the first 200,000 Volts sold qualify for a $7,500 federal tax credit, effectively slashing its sticker price down to $33,500 (well, maybe not).

Using that $33,500 number, KBB's projection means the Volt will hold onto 51 percent of its value. That compares to 46 percent for the 2011 Toyota Prius and 37.5 percent for the 2011 Ford Focus. As we see it, factoring in the $7,500 tax credit is crazy, but we'll let you guys and gals debate that.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/17/c...ter-36-months/

Quick Reply: Chevrolet: Volt news **Production Cut (page 8)**