Chevrolet: Corvette News

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
The GT3 series of Porsche cars come in FOUR variations. I only see the GT3 RS here doing basically par with the Z06. Which is very impressive for the Z06, but not to take anything away from the GT3 RS.

When the Blue Devil comes out, it will probably be at the top of that list or very close to it.
Well, I'm pretty sure the CGT replacement will be faster than the Blue Devil, so there.

I didn't talk about the GT3 RSR or GT3 Cup because they aren't street legal. The other 911's on the top gear list are 996 variants. Anyhow, the 997 GT3 RS still has radio and HVAC, and still with a 90hp deficit, it was able to out-pace the Z06 on the Top Gear track. That's pretty impressive to me.

Ultimately, I wouldn't buy any of the above for track duty though. I'd rather have something like the 911TT for a daily driver and a dedicated track warrior for the weekends. What was the lap time for a Radical SR3 again?
Old 10-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
How is the 911 Turbo not meant to compete against the Z06? Both are all out sports cars that are capable of being used as daily drivers. The 997TT and Z06 were both designed to be capable on the track and street. The "Blue Devil" will be the car to compete against the GT2/3.
I just don't get how people can not my point through their heads. The darn thing comes with nav, homelink, power seats, 13 speaker bose all standard and weighs 3500 pounds. If the 911 turbo was supposed to compete with the Z06, then the GT3 and its variants would not exist. Such an endeavor would be completely pointless seeing that a GT3 RS costs only a few grand less than a 911 Turbo...

From the last sentences of a car and driver article on the 997 turbo:
http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...turbo-997.html

"Will this Turbo continue the top-of-the-line luxury tradition of previous Turbos, or will it move in the track-oriented GT2 direction?
The Turbo will remain luxury-oriented and come fully equipped. A future GT2 version will provide a more focused track model."

The 997 turbo is not a track car that can be driven on the street like a Z06 is. The 997 turbo is a street car that can be driven on a track like an aston martin or a ferrari 599 is. Its put up against cars like the F430 and the Z06 because it IS the most powerful porsche, and in a straight line, its the closest competitor. But you wouldnt compare a CL63 AMG with it would you? Nor would you seriously compare an M6 or a DB9 or a 599 Imola with it, now would you? Its like comparing a bmw 335i with a EVO MR. Just because they run similar numbers dont mean they're competing with eachother. They're competing in a way because they're both "sports cars" I guess, but when it comes to their purposes, they're really not competing.

Put a ferrari 612 scag or a 599 imola against a Z06... and guess who would win.. the Vette! Wow. Put a Z06 against a 911 turbo and guess who wins? The Vette again! Now put that same Z06 against a F430 and you've got yourself a race. Put that same vette against a GT3 and a GT3 RS and the Vette probably fits somewhere in the middle. Now go ahead and put the Z06 against an Enzo or FXX and you're in for a roasting. Put the Z06 against the upcoming GT2, and I'm betting you'll see more of the same. Just because it wears a 911 badge doesn't mean its meant to be a race car. A 911 turbo is definitely a niche car.

To the argument of the 911 turbo being easier to drive... I dont think anyone said it was easy to drive 10/10ths of the limit. But you cant say that its not going to be easier to drive. I think top gear said it best (http://www.topgear.com/drives/D3/A3/...sts/23/01.html)

"The new Porsche 911 Turbo. Everything you hoped for, it is. Which means that it's currently the most accessible supercar in the world."

"You might note that I mean what I say; not necessarily the fastest...but the one car capable of tearing around like a superhero no matter who is at the wheel. Which actually makes it more impressive, not less.

"If you had to drive something this fast everyday, there is no other choice, but if it was a highdays and holidays treat motor, there cars out there that move more heart then head."

I think those three quotes sum up my argument against this comparison pretty darn well.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,485 Likes on 5,332 Posts
You make it sound like the 997 Turbo in basic form drives like a Chrysler Lebaron. The 997 Turbo is generally in the same league as the F430 and Z06. Although, compared to the Z06, it is more of a "GT" car. And I think that is probably what you are talking about. The GT2 will be a better match for the Z06, but that shouldn't discredit the regular 997 Turbo. The Blue Devil, if made with the specs its supposed to have, will pummel the 997 GT2.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by srika
You make it sound like the 997 Turbo in basic form drives like a Chrysler Lebaron. The 997 Turbo is generally in the same league as the F430 and Z06. Although, compared to the Z06, it is more of a "GT" car. And I think that is probably what you are talking about. The GT2 will be a better match for the Z06, but that shouldn't discredit the regular 997 Turbo. The Blue Devil, if made with the specs its supposed to have, will pummel the 997 GT2.

Haha You know what I really meant. No descredit to the 997 Turbo at all. I love the car. I was merely defending its so called "weaknesses" as things to be expected from its kind
Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Well, I'm pretty sure the CGT replacement will be faster than the Blue Devil, so there.

I didn't talk about the GT3 RSR or GT3 Cup because they aren't street legal. The other 911's on the top gear list are 996 variants. Anyhow, the 997 GT3 RS still has radio and HVAC, and still with a 90hp deficit, it was able to out-pace the Z06 on the Top Gear track. That's pretty impressive to me.

Ultimately, I wouldn't buy any of the above for track duty though. I'd rather have something like the 911TT for a daily driver and a dedicated track warrior for the weekends.
I agree.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The 911TT is more of a GT car but not as GT as other GT cars like the Astons and the 575M, etc. It's the "most GT car" Porshe makes today (until the Panamera and others show up). That's why it's difficult to compare them. From a GT-nature perspective it's closer to the base C6 Vette than the Z06, no doubt. Especially the one equipped with the Magneto suspension. But then you have large differences in other areas, like power and price.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger
I just don't get how people can not my point through their heads. The darn thing comes with nav, homelink, power seats, 13 speaker bose all standard and weighs 3500 pounds. If the 911 turbo was supposed to compete with the Z06, then the GT3 and its variants would not exist. Such an endeavor would be completely pointless seeing that a GT3 RS costs only a few grand less than a 911 Turbo...

From the last sentences of a car and driver article on the 997 turbo:
http://www.caranddriver.com/previews...turbo-997.html

"Will this Turbo continue the top-of-the-line luxury tradition of previous Turbos, or will it move in the track-oriented GT2 direction?
The Turbo will remain luxury-oriented and come fully equipped. A future GT2 version will provide a more focused track model."

The 997 turbo is not a track car that can be driven on the street like a Z06 is. The 997 turbo is a street car that can be driven on a track like an aston martin or a ferrari 599 is. Its put up against cars like the F430 and the Z06 because it IS the most powerful porsche, and in a straight line, its the closest competitor. But you wouldnt compare a CL63 AMG with it would you? Nor would you seriously compare an M6 or a DB9 or a 599 Imola with it, now would you? Its like comparing a bmw 335i with a EVO MR. Just because they run similar numbers dont mean they're competing with eachother. They're competing in a way because they're both "sports cars" I guess, but when it comes to their purposes, they're really not competing.

Put a ferrari 612 scag or a 599 imola against a Z06... and guess who would win.. the Vette! Wow. Put a Z06 against a 911 turbo and guess who wins? The Vette again! Now put that same Z06 against a F430 and you've got yourself a race. Put that same vette against a GT3 and a GT3 RS and the Vette probably fits somewhere in the middle. Now go ahead and put the Z06 against an Enzo or FXX and you're in for a roasting. Put the Z06 against the upcoming GT2, and I'm betting you'll see more of the same. Just because it wears a 911 badge doesn't mean its meant to be a race car. A 911 turbo is definitely a niche car.

To the argument of the 911 turbo being easier to drive... I dont think anyone said it was easy to drive 10/10ths of the limit. But you cant say that its not going to be easier to drive. I think top gear said it best (http://www.topgear.com/drives/D3/A3/...sts/23/01.html)

"The new Porsche 911 Turbo. Everything you hoped for, it is. Which means that it's currently the most accessible supercar in the world."

"You might note that I mean what I say; not necessarily the fastest...but the one car capable of tearing around like a superhero no matter who is at the wheel. Which actually makes it more impressive, not less.

"If you had to drive something this fast everyday, there is no other choice, but if it was a highdays and holidays treat motor, there cars out there that move more heart then head."

I think those three quotes sum up my argument against this comparison pretty darn well.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:29 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Juts for shits and giggles, i would love to see a bolt on/cam z06 on a track with an enzo. I know that with those mods and tuning, it could out muscle the enzo, but i wonder if it can hang as far as handling goes.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple, you haven't done your homework. Go over to Chevy.com and look at the options for the Z06. Nav...Check, Bose...Check. The Vette obviously contains less luxury content, but that's a function of price point. It's not like the Z06 is a stripper model with A/C delete, manual windows, etc. For 120K+, I'd expect a little luxury and that's what Porsche provides their customers.

Go over to a Porsche forum, post the exact same comments, and watch as you get your butt handed to you! The 997 isn't a track car that can be driven on the street like the Z06 Again, you haven't done your homework in regards to lap times. Lastly, have you driven either car?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Next Gen. Chevrolet Corvette News **To push 700HP (page 2)**

carcrazy.com assistant editor John Breaux caught up with Saleen at the 2006 Cruisin the Coast Auto Show in Biloxi Mississippi.

CC: What kind of upgrades will you make, have you seen the engine GM is using in the Camaro?

Saleen: I hope I don't get in trouble with GM for saying this, but they're using a 6.2 liter 450 horsepower engine for the premium V8 in the 2009 Camaro and the base Corvette. The base V8 will probably be a detuned version of the same 6.2. So we'll just upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 to Saleen level specifications. We're going to upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 if we're given the legal chance by GM. Our base model should have around 485 horsepower, and expect our Extreme Supercharged Camaro to have over 600 horsepower.
Source: http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums
Old 10-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Makes sense. They went from 5.7L and 350HP to 6.0L and 400HP. Why not 6.2L and 450HP? Percentage-wise, the increase is smaller in the case of the C6 to C7.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I am eager to see if this "new" engine will employ the rumored 3V heads.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shouldnt the thread topic read next gen comaro?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
Shouldnt the thread topic read next gen comaro?
Why?
Old 10-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

srry, have to post this because I mentioned a certain Chrysler earlier...

Old 11-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
because the "next gen" corvette is already out correct? Wouldnt this be a engine update/refresh? I just figured this was more news pertaining to the comaro.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Pro

Simple, you haven't done your homework. Go over to Chevy.com and look at the options for the Z06. Nav...Check, Bose...Check. The Vette obviously contains less luxury content, but that's a function of price point. It's not like the Z06 is a stripper model with A/C delete, manual windows, etc. For 120K+, I'd expect a little luxury and that's what Porsche provides their customers.

Go over to a Porsche forum, post the exact same comments, and watch as you get your butt handed to you! The 997 isn't a track car that can be driven on the street like the Z06 Again, you haven't done your homework in regards to lap times. Lastly, have you driven either car?

My dad owned a used 993 turbo, then bought a 996 Turbo, and is on the waiting list for a 997. So yes, good sir, I know a little about the 911 turbo and why he chooses to buy them. And if you ask him if he cares about a Z06 beating him around a track, the answer would be a resounding know. One thing you notice about porsche people, is that they tend not to care very much about the competition
Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Pro

And if porsche engineered it to be a car meant for the track, do you care to explain to me why they let it sit at 3600 pounds? And would you further explain why there's a gt3? and lets go ahead and discuss serious track cars that are AWD? The most dedicated ones: Lotus, Z06, F430 all seem to be RWD, and hmm, so do the GT3 and GT2. I mean no disrespect as I've read your ideas on the forum many times in the past and found them to be valid. Did you care to read my entire comment about the 997 turbo not being a track car that can be driven on the street? It was a play on words. Careful reading would lead to the conclusion that I was merely alluding to the fact that the Primary and Secondary functions of the 997 are inverse to the primary secondary functions of the Z06. 997TT: 1/Street. 2/Track, when we see a more dedicated Z06 1/Track. 2/Street. As far as the track times go, i was referring to the ones that are actually pasted in this thread. If I recall correctly, the GT3 beat the 997 turbo around the track. That right there should serve as a foundation for my argument.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Pro

Once again maximized, I'm really not trying to start an argument here. I've just grown up in a porsche family, and when you think you know something, its hard to be open minded with others' opinions. Your post count is way higher than mine, so you've earned your respect. I'm just speaking out of what I think I know. I did go ahead and enquire the opinions of the porsche owners. <http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showthread.php?p=188324> So we'll see what they say. Regardless, both the Z06 and the 997 Turbo are amazing cars, and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the both of them
Old 11-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

My dad owned a used 993 turbo, then bought a 996 Turbo, and is on the waiting list for a 997. So yes, good sir, I know a little about the 911 turbo and why he chooses to buy them. And if you ask him if he cares about a Z06 beating him around a track, the answer would be a resounding know. One thing you notice about porsche people, is that they tend not to care very much about the competition
My unlce John owns a modded 996 X50. It's a badass car and he is the type of guy who actually cares about cars beating him around the track. He also used to own 2 C5 Z06s and is a general sports car guy.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

And if porsche engineered it to be a car meant for the track, do you care to explain to me why they let it sit at 3600 pounds? And would you further explain why there's a gt3? and lets go ahead and discuss serious track cars that are AWD? The most dedicated ones: Lotus, Z06, F430 all seem to be RWD, and hmm, so do the GT3 and GT2. I mean no disrespect as I've read your ideas on the forum many times in the past and found them to be valid. Did you care to read my entire comment about the 997 turbo not being a track car that can be driven on the street? It was a play on words. Careful reading would lead to the conclusion that I was merely alluding to the fact that the Primary and Secondary functions of the 997 are inverse to the primary secondary functions of the Z06. 997TT: 1/Street. 2/Track, when we see a more dedicated Z06 1/Track. 2/Street. As far as the track times go, i was referring to the ones that are actually pasted in this thread. If I recall correctly, the GT3 beat the 997 turbo around the track. That right there should serve as a foundation for my argument.
The 997TT 6 speed weighs 3494, which is 360 lbs more than the Z06. That weight difference is mainly due to the AWD system and luxury content found in the 997 TT. The Z06 costs a lot less and obviously doesn't have the content of the Porsche.

The GT3 is a dedicated track car IMO. The interior is spartan by Porsche standards, the ride is STIFF, and it comes with Recaros w/ a bolt in roll cage. I personally don't think I would want a GT3 as a daily driver, but you could certainly get by in it. I guess if you want to look at it the way you presented above, neither the Z06 or TT are track cars. Their primary function is to be used on public roads. We do both know that BOTH perform exceptionally well on the track. C&D did a test of the cars a few months back and they were faily even. In closing, both the 997TT and Z06 are meant to be used on the street, but were engineered to tear it up on the track.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Suzuka Master

because the "next gen" corvette is already out correct? Wouldnt this be a engine update/refresh? I just figured this was more news pertaining to the comaro.
Next gen Vette.....meaning C7
Old 11-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Senior Moderator

my cousin's friend owns a 997 turbo. another friend's uncle used to own a 996 turbo. and someone who used to be my friend but i never talk to him anymore owns a 930 turbo.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my cousin's friend owns a 997 turbo. another friend's uncle used to own a 996 turbo. and someone who used to be my friend but i never talk to him anymore owns a 930 turbo.
my uncle owns a 996C4S, my aunt has a 993 Turbo and my cousin's uncle's friend's father's girlfriend's ex-husband owns a 997CS.

Truth be told, the 997 Turbo is an everyday supercar whereas the Z06 is a more focused track minded car. Sure it has a Bose sound system, and Nav, but just because it has some tech goodies that doesn't make it an easy-to-live with everyday car in the same vein as the 997 Turbo. It has minimal sound insulation and a very stiff ride, in comparison to the 997 Turbo, but for 70k who's complaining. THe 997 has every goodie under the sun, AWD, rear seats (small but present nonetheless), and is much more usable everyday.

As has been said before, a GT3/GT2 vs. z06/upcoming blue devil would be a better match.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I am under the impression that all turbo Porsches go by the 930 denotation. They are like synonyms.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is news about the next (7th) generation Corvette (whenever that will be out) vehicle and its rumored engine.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Pro

It 's a time thing. The 930 was the first turbo back then, and if i'm not mistaken, Porsche was using a different method to name their cars. Now, the number refers to a generation. 997 is the current generation of 911's. 996 was the previous, then 993 before that. But pre 90s, they were just refered to as 911s, and the other number sort of desginated a model? Like 930 was the 911 turbo, 934 and 935 were race 911's. I guess that was hard to follow, but hopefully you get my gist
Old 11-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

I am under the impression that all turbo Porsches go by the 930 denotation. They are like synonyms.
You're partly correct. The 911 Turbos produced from 1975-1989 were "930"s. However, when someone says "930 Turbo" it generally refers to any 911 Turbo produced between 1975-1980. This is a technicality, though. Technically, it should just be called "930" and that means 1975-1989 911 Turbo.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
MT once again tested the Z06 (vz GT500 and Viper)

0-60 3.8
1/4 mile in 11.7 @125

1st overall in the final results as well.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

stupid fast..
Old 11-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

stupid fast..
Imagine what the blue devil will be running. I can see it trapping 130ish.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._sport_coupes/

kinda cool 3d animation download (.exe) that shows the Z06, GT500 and Viper at Willow Springs - I was surprised that the Viper was .01 faster! You can move the views around by clicking the window and dragging..
Old 11-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Imagine what the blue devil will be running. I can see it trapping 130ish.
Easy. 130mph will probably happen only due to its diet, let alone the power increase.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._sport_coupes/

kinda cool 3d animation download (.exe) that shows the Z06, GT500 and Viper at Willow Springs - I was surprised that the Viper was .01 faster! You can move the views around by clicking the window and dragging..
This is amazing animation!

http://release.theplatform.com/conte...erName=Unknown
Old 11-03-2006, 04:03 AM
Senior Moderator

yea.. kudos to MT for giving us a fun download!
Old 11-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Pretty big news that these engines are quoted. I didn't know that Saleen was doing GM stuff?
Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Super Vette Spied! Again! - - Chevy’s 650-hp Corvette SS caught heading in for EPA testing - - Source: Autoweek

Not even a month has passed since we first reported on Chevrolet’s plans for a super Corvette, a halo model well in excess of the already superb Z06. Judging by these spy shots, it appears assurances we were given earlier this year that the car was on the development fast track (“To Hell and Back,” May 8) were right on target.

These photos were taken by George Kachadoorian just outside of Ann Arbor last week. He suspects the car was headed in for EPA testing.

While the hood scoop indicates this is something other than an ordinary Z06, the real prize is under the hood where our spies previously heard the whine of what is most likely a supercharged 6.2-liter V8 pushing as much as 650 hp. The engine, which will be hand-built at a rate of 1500-2000 per year at the General Motors Performance Center outside Detroit, features an integrated intake manifold intercooler similar to the one GM developed for the Cadillac STS V-Series.

So far, names for the production supercharged Corvette include everything from Z07 to Blue Devil to Corvette SS to Sting Ray. No matter what they call it, look for production of the 2009 model to start in early 2008. And set aside at least $100,000 if you want to one in your driveway.

Old 11-06-2006, 05:11 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
ill just let my imagination run wild
Old 11-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Spy Shots: 2008 Chevrolet “Blue Devil” Corvette - - Source: The Car Connection

While rumors of a super-powered Corvette continue to circulate, a reader of TheCarConnection has some convincing evidence that the project is a go. "Yonni G," a student nearMilford, Mich. - the site of GM's proving grounds - spotted this prototype on public roads last week.

"As I was driving I saw the prototype way ahead of me on the road, and it looked like a really aggressive Corvette. Luckily I had borrowed my dad's camera for a project at school and had it with me in the car and snapped some shots as it passed by. The car was amazing! It sounded very powerful and definitely did not seem like your everyday Corvette.

These shots show what's been hyped as a "Blue Devil" Corvette - so dubbed after GM CEO Rick Wagoner's alma mater, Duke University . The rumor mill suggests the super-Vette could become a reality in 2008, with a supercharged Z06-derived 7.0-liter V-8 with 600 hp and a $100,000 pricetag. Stay tuned to our auto show coverage in case the hottest Corvette ever makes a surprise appearance.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Spy Shots: 2008 Chevrolet “Blue Devil” Corvette - - Source: The Car Connection

Quick Reply: Chevrolet: Corvette News