Chevrolet: Corvette News

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,943 Likes on 5,548 Posts
so I've been thinking. what is exotic about the GT?

I think this is the main reason the GT looks exotic, and the Z06 doesn't... the same goes for any Ferrari or Lamborghini - they are VERY LOW. On top of this, certain styling nuances of the GT are just WAY more exotic.

height:
GT: 44.3"
Z06: 49.1"

5 INCHES!!!! a few more reasons... mid-engine, the HUGE scoops on the hood.. big scoops on the sides and rear flanks... certain abrupt styling changes in the curves.... difficult to get in and out of, and of course, the price tag.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Burn some dust here

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SiGGy
Both the Enzo and the McLaren F1 are in a totally different price range. So yes they do. You could buy 3-4 GT's for the price of either of those.

No one said anything sucks, stop being a pretentious little brat. And NO the Ford GT is far from sucking.

Time to swallow your pride and read this "THE CORVETTE IS NOT AN EXOTIC" it probably never will be. So it will never be in the same class.

Grow up kiddo.
First of all, the GT comparison to the McLaren/Enzo was a joke. Try to pick up some common sense soon and hopefully you will be able to understand sarcasm one day.

The GT is in a completely different price range than the Z06. $70,000 vs $150,000 is NOT the same price range. You could buy 2 Z06's for the price of a GT, just like you said you could buy 4-5 GT's for an Enzo.

Also, when did I ever say the Corvette was an exotic? Can you show me?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

really what numbers was i talking about?

Your HIGH ON CRACK if you think the Corvette interior or body panels holds a candle to the craftmanship on the Ford GT, Enzo, TVR.... I could keep going all day here.

Discussing things with you early 20's guys is pointless, your all know it alls. If we were face to face I'd love to hear you speak on how the Corvette is manufactured vs the Ford GT. Enzo, TVR... you guys have no clue obviously.
I understand the Z06 is not exotic car and has no intention of being an exotic car, but to say the Ford GT and TVR have worlds better craftsmanship and interiors is just silly.

Yes, these cars are in a different league, but I sat in a few year old TVR in England last week and the interior is pure shit. I'd much rather have a C6 interior.

What about the Ford GT other than the styling and heritage is truly exotic? It uses mostly Ford off the shelf parts. It's reliability isn't anything to write home about, so I'd say the craftsmanship isn't anything special. It stands on it's heritage and styling, but it's performance is basically equalled by a car close 2.5 times less than it's price.

There is a place for cars like this, and I'd get a GT over a Z06 in a heartbeat, but I would like to stand up for the Z06 as it is an amazing car.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cusdaddy
I understand the Z06 is not exotic car and has no intention of being an exotic car, but to say the Ford GT and TVR have worlds better craftsmanship and interiors is just silly.

Yes, these cars are in a different league, but I sat in a few year old TVR in England last week and the interior is pure shit. I'd much rather have a C6 interior.

What about the Ford GT other than the styling and heritage is truly exotic? It uses mostly Ford off the shelf parts. It's reliability isn't anything to write home about, so I'd say the craftsmanship isn't anything special. It stands on it's heritage and styling, but it's performance is basically equalled by a car close 2.5 times less than it's price.

There is a place for cars like this, and I'd get a GT over a Z06 in a heartbeat, but I would like to stand up for the Z06 as it is an amazing car.
Now this is curious, given everything you said above, I was expecting you to say you would take the Z06 over the GT in a heartbeat. Yet, you didn't. Why would you still take the GT, in a heartbeat?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

really what numbers was i talking about?

Your HIGH ON CRACK if you think the Corvette interior or body panels holds a candle to the craftmanship on the Ford GT, Enzo, TVR.... I could keep going all day here.

You keep going back to track numbers. As I have said 3 times now, if numbers are so important go buy a crotch rocket and call it a day. Save yourself a TON of $$.

REGARDLESS, the Z06 hasn't beaten the GT or the Enzo. So the argument is pointless anyway.

Discussing things with you early 20's guys is pointless, your all know it alls. If we were face to face I'd love to hear you speak on how the Corvette is manufactured vs the Ford GT. Enzo, TVR... you guys have no clue obviously.
I love the know it alls. Have you seen a Ford GT, C6 Z06, and Viper in person and not in pictures in C&D. Oh yea how about a Enzo? Highly doubt it. I saw every exotic from GT3s, an Enzo, Ford GTs, and an Ultima GTR, Nobles, etc etc last weekend AT THE TRACK. Now did you compare the interior of the Ford GT to the C6 Z06 and measured the body panels Quit talking out of your ass. And before you call BS on the cars I saw. Here is the link: www.autobahncountryclub.net . Look at the pictures.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

FYI....I am a Ford guy. I own a 05 Mustang GT. The C6 Z06 is that good. I give credit where it's due, regardless of brand.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by srika
Now this is curious, given everything you said above, I was expecting you to say you would take the Z06 over the GT in a heartbeat. Yet, you didn't. Why would you still take the GT, in a heartbeat?
I probably mis-stated. If it was my own $$, I'd get the Z06, but if I had a choice between the two, I'd take the GT, mainly due to the fact that it is much rarer, I love the styling and the fact that it has such a great heritage. That doesn't take anything away from the Z06 which is an amazing car, but a bit common and bland compared to the GT.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:17 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ I agree with everything you said.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maximized
I love the know it alls. Have you seen a Ford GT, C6 Z06, and Viper in person and not in pictures in C&D. Oh yea how about a Enzo? Highly doubt it. I saw every exotic from GT3s, an Enzo, Ford GTs, and an Ultima GTR, Nobles, etc etc last weekend AT THE TRACK. Now did you compare the interior of the Ford GT to the C6 Z06 and measured the body panels Quit talking out of your ass. And before you call BS on the cars I saw. Here is the link: www.autobahncountryclub.net . Look at the pictures.

Once again ... put away the crystal balll. Yes, I have seen all and sat in all of them (minus the enzo, but I have been in a LOT of ferraris) However I have seen the enzo 5-6 times at different shows over the past 2 years. Every time the door was open to look inside. But I'm not comparing the Enzo here anyway. It's the GT vs Z06.

ON TOP OF THAT, I've personally been to the corvette plant. I can't say the same for Ferrari plants or where they prodduce the Ford GT though.

yes, I have obviously compared them. The corvette doesn't hold a candle to the GT in terms of refinement in the interior. Or general fit and finish. Your comparing a low production vehicle to a high production one... I don't get it.

Anyway, I'm threw talking to you about this. Your a INTERNET arguer. You just keep repeating the same bable with no new insight/argument. And then hope the other person gives up at your stubborn ignorance to say you were right.

This conversation is starting to ruin this thread. Nice chatting with you...
Old 11-08-2005, 07:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

It uses mostly Ford off the shelf parts. It's reliability isn't anything to write home about, so I'd say the craftsmanship isn't anything special.
WTF are you talking about.

Name the "off the shelf parts" (excluding the engineblock alone for the 5.4l itself)

And what reliability problems with the GT?

Now your just making things up. Or seriously misread anything Jeremy from top gear has said.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:54 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by cob3683
First of all, the GT comparison to the McLaren/Enzo was a joke. Try to pick up some common sense soon and hopefully you will be able to understand sarcasm one day.

The GT is in a completely different price range than the Z06. $70,000 vs $150,000 is NOT the same price range. You could buy 2 Z06's for the price of a GT, just like you said you could buy 4-5 GT's for an Enzo.

Also, when did I ever say the Corvette was an exotic? Can you show me?
Maybe put a smiley or something in your posts. I don't have a crystal ball.

As I said the GT out classes the Z06.

And for those who have ADD (quite a few of you in this thread obviously)

I'm quoting myself AGAIN...

SiGGy Said.
Sure the Z06 is right there in sheer handling/speed. I'm not arguing that. It's a fantasic car for the $$, no argument there.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Moderator Alumnus

so I've been thinking. what is exotic about the GT?

I think this is the main reason the GT looks exotic, and the Z06 doesn't... the same goes for any Ferrari or Lamborghini - they are VERY LOW. On top of this, certain styling nuances of the GT are just WAY more exotic.

height:
GT: 44.3"
Z06: 49.1"

5 INCHES!!!! a few more reasons... mid-engine, the HUGE scoops on the hood.. big scoops on the sides and rear flanks... certain abrupt styling changes in the curves.... difficult to get in and out of, and of course, the price tag.
The white and black one is pretty sweet looking!
Old 11-08-2005, 08:57 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Once again ... put away the crystal balll. Yes, I have seen all and sat in all of them (minus the enzo, but I have been in a LOT of ferraris) However I have seen the enzo 5-6 times at different shows over the past 2 years. Every time the door was open to look inside. But I'm not comparing the Enzo here anyway. It's the GT vs Z06.

ON TOP OF THAT, I've personally been to the corvette plant. I can't say the same for Ferrari plants or where they prodduce the Ford GT though.

yes, I have obviously compared them. The corvette doesn't hold a candle to the GT in terms of refinement in the interior. Or general fit and finish. Your comparing a low production vehicle to a high production one... I don't get it.

Anyway, I'm threw talking to you about this. Your a INTERNET arguer. You just keep repeating the same bable with no new insight/argument. And then hope the other person gives up at your stubborn ignorance to say you were right.

Siggy I can't see how his arument is any different from yours. You are both providing an opinion. Neither of you are producing solid evidence to back up your claims nor should you be expected to considering the circumstances. So I really can't see how your providing anymore insight than he is.

Old 11-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

WTF are you talking about.

Name the "off the shelf parts" (excluding the engineblock alone for the 5.4l itself)

And what reliability problems with the GT?

Now your just making things up. Or seriously misread anything Jeremy from top gear has said.
The engine block comes from the F-150. I can't find the exact article, but I remember reading other components such as the switchgear and some other switches were sourced from corporate as well. I'm not saying the Ford GT is a bad car at all. On the contrary, I'd get it in a second. If you look at my post history, I always defend the GT and I have nasty things to say all the time about that idiot Jeremy Clarkson.

Here is info about the reliability:

Ford recalls GTs due to potential cracking in suspension control arm
AMY WILSON | Automotive News
Posted Date: 12/20/04
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. is recalling its GT supercar, saying the vehicle is unsafe to drive because of potential cracking in a suspension control arm.

Ford has notified dealerships of the GT recall. The recall affects the 448 GTs produced this year. Of those, 289 have been shipped to dealerships, and 106 are in customers' hands.

Ford says no accidents or injuries have been reported. Engineers discovered the cracked control arm in one GT during a routine field inspection.

It may be weeks before the cars are back on the road. A casting problem caused the flaw, a Ford spokeswoman said.

Ford is developing a new casting procedure and will then produce new control arms.

The base price of a GT is $143,845, including a $1,250 destination charge and a $2,600 gas-guzzler tax.
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101451

Last edited by cusdaddy; 11-08-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^ but juicy, the bad reliability makes it EXOTIC

btw... I know someone who bought a brand new Gallardo. Driving it home from the dealer, the instrument panel went on a fritz. Random lights flashing, things not operating normally. Brand new $180k car. He had to drive it straight back to the dealer and find out wtf was going on. Exotic. Feel it. lol.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The engine block comes from the F-150. I can't find the exact article, but I remember reading other components such as the switchgear and some other switches were sourced from corporate as well. I'm not saying the Ford GT is a bad car at all. On the contrary, I'd get it in a second. If you look at my post history, I always defend the GT and I have nasty things to say all the time about that idiot Jeremy Clarkson.

Here is info about the reliability:

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101451

That's a proactive re-call for a bad part. Not a sign of reliability. No one was stranded or had the car break down. Ford was being proactive for the fix. I haven't see any **customer** reliability complaints on it. i.e. major flaws that left people screwed. Because ford wanted to fix somerthing they knew was a problem should be commended.

Just the engine block is from the truck. Heads, crank, rods, pistons... and so on... are all GT specific.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dom
Siggy I can't see how his arument is any different from yours. You are both providing an opinion. Neither of you are producing solid evidence to back up your claims nor should you be expected to considering the circumstances. So I really can't see how your providing anymore insight than he is.

Oh I agree 100% on the opinion statment.

However the following are facts:
GT is hand made in small numbers
Corvette is mass produced on a assembly line

GT has a 100% custom built interior for it
The corvette is parts bin A/C navigation, center console, steering wheel

GT installers spend time (HOURS) aligning the panels on the car and ensuring good build quality.
GM does theirs on the assembly line.

I could keep going...

I assume people knew these things since one is a small production hand made vehicle and the other is a mass produced GM vehicle. I guess I have to spell it out?

I never talked bad about the corvette, it's just the GT outclasses it in many ways. Does "outclass" mean better. That's an opinon... everyones will be different.

However the fit and finish the GT will be night and day to the Z06. GM just cannot spend the ammount of time Ford does per vehicle. They also could not afford ot build the interior like Ford did. It's not cost effective on the Z06.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

^^^ but juicy, the bad reliability makes it EXOTIC

btw... I know someone who bought a brand new Gallardo. Driving it home from the dealer, the instrument panel went on a fritz. Random lights flashing, things not operating normally. Brand new $180k car. He had to drive it straight back to the dealer and find out wtf was going on. Exotic. Feel it. lol.

All cars have their problems.

Take the C5 corvette:

Seats rocked back and forth
oil circulation problems
steering wheel could LOCK while your driving it!! this is common!
sticky transmission
poor electrical switches/contacts

everything made by man has it's flaws...

I also remember seeing that guy who didn't break in his brakes correctly on his Lamborghini and they started on fire when he braked too hard!
Old 11-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Time to swallow your pride and read this "THE CORVETTE IS NOT AN EXOTIC" it probably never will be. So it will never be in the same class.
I dont think a FORD is and exotic either.

Plus in the corvette atleast you can park in a parking lot and not have to worry how your going to get in the car if someone parks next to you

Last edited by fsttyms1; 11-08-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Suzuka Master

May I ask what insight you have added? I have seen all the cars that you claim to have sat in(which I frankly think is a lie) and saw them perform at the TRACK. I can care less about refinement. We all know that a blown 5.4L 550 hp motor is so refined As is a 427 CI N/A motor! The fit and finish of the Ford GT doesn't hold a candle to a BMW 3 series. You want refinement, but a true luxury car. You call me an internet arguer, which is funny. I am arguing numbers, which these cars are all about. John Colletti and Dave Hill would laugh in your face. Guys like you are a disgrace to cars like these.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

May I ask what insight you have added? I have seen all the cars that you claim to have sat in(which I frankly think is a lie) and saw them perform at the TRACK. I can care less about refinement. We all know that a blown 5.4L 550 hp motor is so refined As is a 427 CI N/A motor! The fit and finish of the Ford GT doesn't hold a candle to a BMW 3 series. You want refinement, but a true luxury car. You call me an internet arguer, which is funny. I am arguing numbers, which these cars are all about. John Colletti and Dave Hill would laugh in your face. Guys like you are a disgrace to cars like these.

Don't call me a liar without any proof of it. You just keep side tracking the conversation. Anyone can sit in most of these vehicles (excluding a Enzo, that would be a challenge) if you simply go to a car meet. The Ford GT was open at a car dealship here in KC, so I can assume a lot of folks sat in it as well. Not to mention anyone with a press pass sat in one at the Chicago auto show in 2004.

Finding a seat in a C6 corvette isn't much of a challenge.

Answer these questions...

Is the Corvette a mass produced assembly line car?

Is the Ford GT a mass produced assembly line car?

That's all I was discussing. That in itself put the car in a different class and pricing structure. I don't see why you can't comprehend this.

Where in the hell did the 3 series BMW come into this? Your digging... who cares about John Colletti and Dave Hill in this conversation. They aren't in it...

Well if your right in saying cars are all about #'s everyone will sell their Fearri's and buy the 2006 Corvette Z06. Since it's the best performer... I think you'll be sad to find the reality here. Different folks different strokes.

Reality is people will mock the Corvette, just as people will mock the Ford GT. That's the reality of people, everyone is different. However their difference in opinions doesn't change the vehicles nor their production manners.

If you want to continue discussing this please PM me. I'll keep chatting, but I think both of us are ruining this thread at this point.

p.s.

The Ford GT dynos at near 550WHP. It's closer to 650 at the crank. If it only produced 550HP (crank) the Z06 would walk all over it because of it's extra weight.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I dont think a FORD is and exotic either.

Plus in the corvette atleast you can park in a parking lot and not have to worry how your going to get in the car if someone parks next to you

ya that's a minor flaw in the GT haha

Being "exotic" has a somewhat true definition. NSX is a good example of a car I don't consider exotic but has the title. And obviosly people have their opinions of what they consider exotic as well.

The Z06 is a "supercar" of sorts, but not an exotic. It's really in a class of it's own now. Unless they do produce a limited edition of it the "blue devil" or whatever they are calling it.

Try a google "Ford GT exotic" I think you'll find most articles refer to it as one. And a search for "C6 corvette exotic" will probably land some articles saying something about exotic performance without the price. However it won't be called an exotic.

However I agree with earlier posts. I don't see what I'm contributing to this conversation when it keeps going in circles. I'm just holding ammunition for the Ford GT against the Z06 guys. Kinda funny when I really like both cars, but for different reasons. Anyway... I'll bug out... sorry for anyone readin through all of this.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't call me a liar without any proof of it. You just keep side tracking the conversation. Anyone can sit in most of these vehicles (excluding a Enzo, that would be a challenge) if you simply go to a car meet. The Ford GT was open at a car dealship here in KC, so I can assume a lot of folks sat in it as well. Not to mention anyone with a press pass sat in one at the Chicago auto show in 2004.

Finding a seat in a C6 corvette isn't much of a challenge.

Answer these questions...

Is the Corvette a mass produced assembly line car?

Is the Ford GT a mass produced assembly line car?

That's all I was discussing. That in itself put the car in a different class and pricing structure. I don't see why you can't comprehend this.

Where in the hell did the 3 series BMW come into this? Your digging... who cares about John Colletti and Dave Hill in this conversation. They aren't in it...

Well if your right in saying cars are all about #'s everyone will sell their Fearri's and buy the 2006 Corvette Z06. Since it's the best performer... I think you'll be sad to find the reality here. Different folks different strokes.

Reality is people will mock the Corvette, just as people will mock the Ford GT. That's the reality of people, everyone is different. However their difference in opinions doesn't change the vehicles nor their production manners.

If you want to continue discussing this please PM me. I'll keep chatting, but I think both of us are ruining this thread at this point.

p.s.

The Ford GT dynos at near 550WHP. It's closer to 650 at the crank. If it only produced 550HP (crank) the Z06 would walk all over it because of it's extra weight.
This is the internet and without any proof, I simply do not believe you. Not anything against you, don't take that personally. Who cares if it's built by aliens, robots, or massed produced? That's a stupid arguement in car that was built simply to perform. An Enzo, Ford GT, and C6 Z06 isn't very refined compared to a true luxury car or even a Honda Accord. Refinement isn't easily measured, nor is it something that should be mentioned in the same sentence with the above cars. You are forgetting the basics. Why put a 550 bhp engine, or Brembos, etc. etc? A 300 hp V6 and 2 piston 12.5" Brakes work fine. These cars are basically street legal races cars. Numbers are the sole reason cars like this exist, not refinement. If the Ford GT ran 13 second 1/4 miles or slow lap times, it wouldn't sell. Therefore, arguing refinement, price, or assembly is stupid.

Again, I am a Ford guy. I own a 05 Mustang GT and love the Ford GT. It's a work of art. The C6 Z06 diserves credit where it's due, simple as that. It is in the same class as the Ford GT and other supercars.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is the internet and without any proof, I simply do not believe you. Not anything against you, don't take that personally. Who cares if it's built by aliens, robots, or massed produced? That's a stupid arguement in car that was built simply to perform. An Enzo, Ford GT, and C6 Z06 isn't very refined compared to a true luxury car or even a Honda Accord. Refinement isn't easily measured, nor is it something that should be mentioned in the same sentence with the above cars. You are forgetting the basics. Why put a 550 bhp engine, or Brembos, etc. etc? A 300 hp V6 and 2 piston 12.5" Brakes work fine. These cars are basically street legal races cars. Numbers are the sole reason cars like this exist, not refinement. If the Ford GT ran 13 second 1/4 miles or slow lap times, it wouldn't sell. Therefore, arguing refinement, price, or assembly is stupid.

Again, I am a Ford guy. I own a 05 Mustang GT and love the Ford GT. It's a work of art. The C6 Z06 diserves credit where it's due, simple as that. It is in the same class as the Ford GT and other supercars.
The Ford GT stands for a lot more than numbers. It represents American racing history with the Italians and Henry Ford's attempt at buying into Ferrari. It's a American racing icon.

People still buy $90k NSX's and they are way outdated and slow in comparison. And nothing else honda does is anywhere near exotic in terms of their production vehicles. However the NSX is an exotic.

I can understand your disbelief because we're online, however I'm a well known admin of these forums; I run the servers these sites are on. I have no reason to lie about something this petty man. I don't think anyone on here would stand up and call me a liar (lol, I'll wait for the sarcastic joke). Really it doesn't matter in this discussion anyway...

Since you obviously don't want to take it up in a PM and we don't see eye to eye. I think we'll have to agree to disagree?

Maybe one day we'll see where each other is comming from...

-David
Old 11-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

The Ford GT stands for a lot more than numbers. It represents American racing history with the Italians and Henry Ford's attempt at buying into Ferrari. It's a American racing icon.

People still buy $90k NSX's and they are way outdated and slow in comparison. And nothing else honda does is anywhere near exotic in terms of their production vehicles. However the NSX is an exotic.

I can understand your disbelief because were online, however I'm a well known admin of these forums; I run the servers these sites are on. I have no reason to lie about something this petty man. I don't think anyone on here would stand up and call me a liar (lol, I'll wait for the sarcastic joke). Really it doesn't matter in the discussion anyway...

Since you obviosly don't want to take it up in a PM... I think we'll have to agree to disagree?

Maybe one day we'll see where each other is comming from...

-David
And the original Ford GT40 was about one thing, beating Ferrari. To beat Ferrari at LeMans the GT40 had to be faster(numbers again ) and reliable. The Ford GT shares very little similarity with the GT40, except design elements and the Ford name itself.

If you want to further dicuss this in a PM, I am always willing to discuss cars.

No hard feelings-
Old 11-11-2005, 12:46 PM
Senior Moderator

maybe the C6 Z06 is more exotic than we think?

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/so-i-would-advise-dont-buy-c6-z06-just-yet-324236/
Old 11-12-2005, 01:12 AM
Senior Moderator

some notable lb/hp figures.... holy cow I had no idea the S7 weighed only 2870 lbs... that car looks huge!! damn. but look at the Z06's position...

Ferrari Enzo 3230 lbs. 4.89/bhp $652,000
Porsche Carrera GT 3146lbs. 5.20/bhp $448,400
Saleen S7 2870 lbs. 5.21/bhp $395,000
Mercedes SLR McLaren 3805 lbs. 6.16/bhp $430,000
Corvette Z06 3132 lbs. 6.20/bhp $69,500
Ford GT 3468 lbs. 6.30/bhp $155,845
Ferrari 430 3200 lbs. 6.62/bhp $205,932
Lambo Gallardo 3560 lbs. 7.12/bhp $187,000
Dodge SRT 3410 lbs 7.20/bhp $84,000
Lambo Murcielago 4010 lbs. 7.22/bhp $283,000
M5 4096lbs, 7.96/bhp.
Ferrari 575 M 4010 lbs. 8.16/bhp $229,000
Porsche 996 Turbo 3530 lbs. 8.24/bhp $135,000
Aston Martin Vanquish 4027 lbs. 8.75/bhp $223,000
Old 11-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Safety Car

The zo6 and gt are anomalies when it comes to price, but i guess we could conclude the vette/gt are at the 300k mark as far as performance? I also wonder if this is "REAL HP" vs listed spec hp...
Old 12-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
First Drive: 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - - By Chris Walton - - Motor Trend, October 2005 - - Source: Motortrend.com

Let's settle the barroom arguments right now. Here's what you need to know about the new Z06: It's raw. It's loud. It'll run 11-second quarters, pull almost 1.2 g through a turn, and, if you're brave enough, reach as near as dammit to 200 mph on the road. Oh, and here's the best bit: It'll cost you less than a Volkswagen. Okay, that's a $70,000 Volkswagen Phaeton we're talking about, but the fact remains this new Z06 is the hottest supercar you can buy anywhere for the money. There, we said it. The King of the Hill is dead. Long live the King of the Hill.

Designed and developed alongside the Le Mans class-winning C6R racer, the Z06 shares much of its technology and construction techniques. In some cases, the Z06's use of exotic materials exceeds that of the race version. But for all that, it's Chevy's astounding old-school LS7 engine (Overhead cams? Four valve heads? Who needs 'em?) that really defines the Z06. A true 427.6-cubic-inch V-8 small block, it's the first engine in the world to be certified under the new SAE (J2723) standard. The official results returned 505-horsepower at 6300 rpm and 470 pound-feet of torque at 4800 rpm.

The first, and most lasting, impression of this ultimate Corvette comes the moment the LS7 booms into life. A slight lifter "tick-tick" at idle erupts into big-block fury under hard acceleration, thanks to butterfly valves in two of the four exhaust tips that are there mostly for drive-by-noise regs, but, once open (from 3500-rpm up to the 7000-rpm redline), allow the engine to howl at full song.

You won't have heard anything like it since they stopped running production-car-based Trans-Am races in the 1970s. We bolted our own test equipment to a car at GM's Milford Proving Ground and found it had grunt enough to hurl this 3147-pound coupe to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds, and nail the standing quarter in 11.5 seconds at 127.1 mph. That 7000-rpm redline is almost superfluous, by the way, because the weapons-grade torque seam is so rich and flat that third gear is about all you need for most occasions. But it does mean the Z06 will hit 60 mph in first gear (albeit just past redline).

In a straight line, then, this Corvette is Ferrari-fast, turning numbers quicker than the $192,000 F430 F1 we tested in Italy (MT, June 2005). But what happens when you throw some turns into the equation? A sledgehammer powertrain is one thing, but a supercar also needs finesse in the handling department. Which is why we've come to the Nürburgring--not the legendary, scary-fast 13-mile, 73-turn Nordschleife version, nicknamed the Grune-Holle (Green Hell) by generations of wide-eyed, white-knuckled racers, but the adjacent F1 circuit built over the remnants of the old Sudschleife in 1983.

The Nürburgring F1 track is a good place to get to know the behavior of the Z06. Sight lines are more or less direct, there are few tricky bits or surprises, and the front straight is lengthy enough to stretch the car's long legs. Nail the gas, and the Z06 catapults onto an acceleration curve that pulls harder at 100 mph than does a Honda Accord at 50. Thundering past start/finish flat in fourth gear, we recorded 144 mph before braking for turn one. The revised Tremec T56 six-speed transmission's shift gates are now more distinct and the throws are shorter, but because the internals had to be strengthened to handle the LS7's prodigious 470 pound-feet of torque, each shift feels like you're overcoming the inertia of 50 pounds of spinning metal. It requires the deliberate movements of an endurance racer, not the lightning jabs of a drag racer.

Slowing the Z06 are monster 14.0-inch vented and cross-drilled front discs, clamped by six-piston calipers (13.4-inch, four-piston rears) with individual pads in each pot for a total of 20 (count 'em) identical brake pads. Sounds complex, but using numerous small pads aids cooling and reduces the tendency of a long single pad to wear a greater amount at its leading edge. Ducts (under-chin for the front rotors, and on the side for the rears) are designed to keep everything cool. The system works: Multiple forays into triple-digit speeds around the Nürburgring F1 circuit never ended with the terror of a mushy pedal; you could confidently push the car deeper and deeper into each corner. The Z06's brakes have anti-lock modulation, but the feedback through the pedal is so concise, and the massive tires have so much grip, you have to be in an awful lot of trouble to need them on a dry surface.

Nürburgring's few low-speed corners probed the balance and lateral limits of the chassis. While understeer is theoretically possible, you'd have to purposely cook a corner and yank the wheel to find it. More often, g-loads high enough to separate platelets from whole blood (we recorded a peak 1.18g) give way to a gentle drift followed by throttle-induced oversteer--not the fast way out of a bend, true, but a helluva lot of fun. It's easy to find the give-and-take interplay between front and rear grip with the Z06's throttle because the car's balance is phenomenal--not necessarily due to its near 50/50 weight distribution, but the way the tires' grip is distributed and, once exceeded, released so gradually and predictably.

The most entertaining part of the Nürburgring F1 track is the high-speed kink called Hatzenbach Bogen. While F1 cars routinely see 180 mph and 2g-lateral loads, the Z06--without the aid of thousands of pounds of downforce--managed a respectable 120 mph while delivering a 1.0-g force, sustained for a second and a half. It's that combination of unflappable grip and seemingly endless grunt the Z06 manages so well. Nothing seems too great a task, and only your instinct for self-preservation gets in the way of attempting the impossible.

Which brings us to Spa-Francorchamps, or simply Spa, about which many racers have said, "It gets your attention and demands your respect." Yeah, no kidding: Draped over the undulating hills and through the forests that separate Germany from Belgium, Spa is very fast and constantly moving. There are blind crests, off-camber corners, double-apexes where the exit is concealed until it's too late to do anything about correcting your line, and perhaps the most famous corner in all of Formula 1: the soaring left-right-left kink known by the name of the stream you cross at its lowest point, Eau Rouge.

We never did get what we'd call a representative lap of what the Z06 could really do, though Belgian racer Didier Theys encouraged me to find a good line through Eau Rouge at about 115 mph, just fast enough to squeal the tires at the top of the hill while drifting to the outside of the turn. The car got light, but still dug its claws into the track like a scared cat clinging to drapery. There must've been some front-splitter downforce at work because it didn't behave like a standard C6. On the same lap, we whisked through the double-apex at Pouhon--inside curb, outside curb, and back to the inside curb--without moving the steering wheel one degree. On a subsequent and less successful lap, the Z06's tremendous grip allowed it to make mid-corner adjustments despite Pouhon's off-camber inclination.

On a racetrack, the tautly sprung Z06 is smooth and predictable. But on real-world roads, the ride is tolerable at best, skittish at worst. The stiff suspension sometimes skips like a stone over sharp pavement seams--first at the front, then at the rear--which can erode the confidence it exhibits at the track. The lack of sound-deadening materials fills the cabin with the whine of gnashing gears, road noise, and (mostly intake) engine roar. It feels a lot like a race car made just street legal enough to get a license plate, a bit like a 21st-century Ferrari 250 GTO. And with a claimed top speed of 198 mph--though 191 mph is the number for now until further certification is completed--it's certainly fast enough.

Fewer than 10,000 Z06s will be produced in 2006, and a good chunk will be headed to Europe. Make no mistake, it's not a car for somebody who simply wants to drive the fastest Corvette ever to work. A standard C6 is far more livable, much quieter, and still able to scare the khakis off your neighbor in less than a city block. The 2006 Z06 is a specialized car for a specialized buyer: Somebody who can appreciate its more-than-tangential relationship to the C6R race car, a person to whom 6.2 pounds per horsepower means something more than a power-adjustable passenger seat. A Z06 buyer won't mind paying $65,800 for the privilege of yelling to his passenger above 60 mph.

Naturally, the hard-core Corvette faithful will be lining up to buy the Z06. However, there just might be some Viper, F430, or 911 Turbo converts out there who could easily satisfy their performance hunger at a huge-percent discount. Ferrari performance at a Chevy price: That's what makes the Z06 such a standout.

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Base price $65,800
Price as tested $65,800
Vehicle layout Front engine, RWD, 2-pass, 2-door coupe
Engine 7.0 L/505 hp/470 lb-ft, OHV 3 valves/cyl V-8
Transmission 6-speed manual
Curb weight, F/R dist 3147 lb, 51/49%
Wheelbase 105.7 in
Length x Width x Height 175.6 x 75.9 x 49.0 in
0-60 mph 3.5 sec
Quarter Mile 11.5 sec @ 127.1 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph 104 ft
Lateral Acceleration 1.05 g avg
EPA City/Hwy Fuel Econ 19 / 28 mpg
Old 12-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Corvette production interrupted due to wheel supply issue - - Source: Autoweeek

General Motors has sent a memo to dealers informing them that Corvette wheel supply has “experienced significant disruption” and production of certain models could be delayed as a result.

GM says the wheel supply situation has caused it to make “several adjustments affecting wheel options, production volumes and production schedules.”

Dealers will have to change Corvette orders based on wheel availability. Wheel company Amcast, which went into bankruptcy on Dec. 2, supplied the wheels.

GM says wheel supply is still uncertain, and thus GM’s order fulfillment and distribution department is unable to follow the normal process of returning orders to dealers for necessary changes.

Polished wheels will not be available from GM’s new supplier. GM is changing all orders scheduled to be built after Jan. 3 from polished wheels to silver painted wheels. Further, the much-anticipated chrome wheel option will be postponed until “late spring production.”

GM says any substitution of a lower cost wheel will be reflected in a reduced MSRP and invoice. Additionally, overall wheel availability may delay production dates of orders already in the system.

GM says the impact on Z06 production is still undetermined.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Team Owner

The Polished wheels from Amcast are terrible quality, no wonder they went bankrupt.

And GM was planning on charging 1995.00 for the chrome ones.
That’s ridiculous.
You can swap your OEM wheels out with several aftermarket chrome plating places for 600-800 dollars total.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

I went back and read the first couple pages of this thread.
Kind of funny reading about all the spy photos and such on the car before it was released.

It’s funny to re-look at those after the car is on the street.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 Daytona News

Source: gminsiderace.com
Old 01-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,947 Likes on 14,061 Posts
More pics:

Old 01-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Tidbits from RSportscars.com:

==============

Corvette Z06 to pace Daytona 500 with Jay Leno at the Wheel

A specially outfitted 2006 Corvette Z06 will serve as the official pace car of the 48th running of the Daytona 500, on Feb. 19. “Tonight Show” host and auto enthusiast Jay Leno will drive the pace car.

The Daytona 500 is NASCAR’s premier race and traditionally kicks off the Nextel Cup racing season. Selection of the Z06 model marks the second consecutive year that a Corvette has been selected as the Daytona 500 pace car.

“It is a wonderful honor to have Corvette serve once again as the Daytona 500 pace car,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “Chevrolet has a long, successful history at Daytona and there’s no better vehicle to showcase our performance legacy than the Corvette Z06 – a car that was born on the race track.”

The Corvette Z06 that will serve as the Daytona 500 pace car is mechanically identical to those available at Chevrolet dealerships. It is the fastest vehicle ever offered by Chevrolet and General Motors. With 505 horsepower and 470 lb-ft of torque from its 7.0L all-aluminum, racing-inspired engine, the Corvette Z06 leaps from 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds and has a top speed of more than 198 mph. It also differs from other production Corvette models with extensive use of lightweight materials, including carbon-fiber front fenders and a chassis comprised of aluminum and magnesium. A racing-ready suspension and large, 18-inch front wheels and 19-inch rear wheels help keep it glued to the tarmac, so it requires no drivetrain modifications to satisfy its role in front of the racing pack. In its official capacity, however, the pace car is outfitted with a variety of safety equipment and highly visible strobe lights.

Interestingly, the Corvette Z06’s 505-horsepower output is actually more than the power produced by the race cars that will compete in the Daytona 500 – a first for a pace car. This is because of the unique “restrictor plate” rule established for the Daytona and Talladega , Ala. racetracks. On these 2.5-mile-long super speedways, the restrictor plate reduces airflow into the engine to limit horsepower and keep race car speeds below 200 mph. With a restrictor plate, racing engine power is reduced from about 750 horsepower to about 450 horsepower. Race cars can still average more than 190 mph on Daytona’s long straights.

The Corvette Z06 Daytona 500 wears a unique paint scheme, inspired by the hot-to-cool color transition of a space capsule entering Earth’s atmosphere at a high rate of speed. The paint scheme is carried out with an elaborate, interlocking scallops design – a twist on hot rod-style flames – that blends “hot” Lemon Drop yellow at the nose of the Corvette with Lemon Glow, Amber Ecstasy, Blazing Copper and Hot Poppy. The colors culminate with a cool Sapphire Trance blue color at the rear of the vehicle. DuPont, the sponsor of Jeff Gordon’s No. 24 Monte Carlo, supplied the colors, which are from the company’s “Hot Hues” line of automotive paint.

“As if the Corvette Z06 needed help in looking fast, the intricate paintwork of the pace car gives it the appearance of tremendous speed,” said Peper. “It is one of the most elaborate and stunning vehicle designs we’ve created.”

Jay Leno Behind the Wheel

Jay Leno, host of the “Tonight Show” and an unabashed auto enthusiast, will drive the Corvette Z06 during opening ceremonies and the pace laps that start the race. Leno, who has a large collection of vintage automobiles and motorcycles, has previous experience as a pace car driver.

Chevrolet returns to the Daytona 500 with 18 victories – the most of any manufacturer – including last year’s champion Jeff Gordon. Chevrolet also returns as the defending manufacturer’s cup champion, an award that has been bestowed 29 times. Also, defending Nextel Cup champion Tony Stewart drives the No. 20 Chevrolet Monte Carlo for Joe Gibbs Racing.

“The Corvette Z06 already is a performance legend and the fans will enjoy seeing it lead their favorite drivers around Daytona’s famous tri-oval,” said Robin Braig, president of Daytona International Speedway. “It promises to be a great race, and kicking it off with a Corvette at the head of the pack is the best way to start.”

The Daytona 500 is one of the largest events in motorsports, drawing more than 168,000 fans to the track and attracting nearly 11 million American television viewers. It also is broadcast around the world.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Specifications:

Engine
Type: V8
Displacement cu in (cc): 427 (7011)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 505(377) / 6300
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 470(637) / 4800
Redline at RPM: 7200

Brakes & Tires
Brakes F/R: ABS, vented disc/vented disc
Tires F-R: 275/35 ZR18 - 325/30 ZR19
Driveline: Rear Wheel Drive

Exterior Dimensions & Weight
Length × Width × Height in: 175.6 × 75.9 × 49
Weight lb (kg): 3132 (1420)

Performance
Acceleration 0-60 mph s: 3.7
Top Speed mph (km/h): > 198 (> 318)
Fuel Economy EPA city/highway mpg (l/100 km): 16/26 (n.a.)
Old 01-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Sapphire Trance blue.... I'm likin' that color
Old 01-06-2006, 12:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Paint Scheme is ok.
I still feel the interior is sub-par for a car like this...but it is light years ahead of the previous generation.

All-inall love that Z06!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 PM
Moderator Alumnus

But that's not the only upgrade. There's also a new six-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission for the 6.0-liter Vettes, one of the more effective examples of this two-way tranny technology we've encountered.
Source: http://www.caranddriver.com/article....ticle_id=10358
Old 02-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

| Chicago Auto Show | - - By WES RAYNAL - - Source: Autoweek

Chevy officials at the Chicago auto show aren't comfirming that a higher-performance version of the Corvette Z06, called Blue Devil, is under development. But they certainly are not downplaying the possibilities.

"We'd love to have it," said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager.

Sources say the Blue Devil might go with a supercharged version of the Z06's 7.0-liter V8, producing upward of 600 hp. Look for lightweight carbon fiber body parts to reduce weight to about 2900 pounds.

Pricing will likely start somewhere around $100,000 if and when the car makes production in 2007.

"My guess is we're going to find a way to do something beyond the Z06, that would be at a much higher price point, and which would compete with some of the leading high-performance cars of the world,'' GM vice chairman Bob Lutz told us last July.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet: Corvette News