Cadillac: Urban Luxury Concept news **Revealed (page 1)**

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006 | 09:14 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Cadillac: Urban Luxury Concept news **Revealed (page 1)**

Cadillac eyes BMW 1 Series fighter for Europe - - Source: Autoweek

General Motors might have its hands full getting its North American operations into order and profitability, but signs are it won’t ignore other potentially lucrative areas of its world-wide business.

Witness secret plans AutoWeek uncovered for a new rear-wheel drive entry-level Cadillac slotted beneath the European price leading BLX model. The BLX is a front-drive sedan built by Saab in Sweden and sold throughout Europe.

According to GM product czar Bob Lutz this new small Caddy is among a throng of proposals before the corporation as an internal study aimed at widening Cadillac’s brand appeal and sales potential. This comes following steps taken earlier in the year to raise the profile of GM’s flagship division across Europe.

Lutz points to the popularity of that market segment as a reason why GM is considering a move down market. Such a car would compete against the Audi A3, BMW 1-Series and Mercedes-Benz A class.

“The BMW 1-Series has been extremely well accepted in the market place and shows what can be done when you do things right,” Lutz told AutoWeek at the Paris motor show. “We are investigating the possibility of a new four-cylinder model. Nothing is signed off but we’re working [on it.]”

Lutz won’t cite specifics on the proposed entry-level Cadillac. However, he hints heavily that it will boast a longitudinally mounted engine and rear-drive layout similar to the BMW—itself reliant on the 3-Series in terms of mechanical make-up.

“We’re looking at the possibility of rear-wheel drive, but nothing is decided. [This configuration] provides the best possible basis for agility” he said of such a car’s road manners.

Without an existing rear-drive platform, speculation is that GM will green-light an all-new structure for a range of new models, including a rear-drive successor to BLX.

Lutz rules out the possibility of Cadillac using a shortened Zeta platform. Those underpinnings are on the new Holden Commodore in Australia, and are planned for the coming Pontiac Grand Prix successor as well as the re-born Chevrolet Camaro due in ‘09. “It doesn’t make good engineering sense to make a large platform and go down. You never really get rid of the weight properly,” he said. Such comments have focused attention on the Holden Torana TT36 concept, a car based on an unnamed rear-drive platform and similar in size the BMW 3-Series, displayed in 2004.

Though Lutz won’t confirm as much, it appears GM might rely on its Aussie outpost to again engineer a new platform on which a generation of models will ride. Holden held point for the Zeta structure which received praise from Lutz, who called the Commodore “the best car GM has ever done” in Paris.

Adding further to speculation, Lutz contends a new platform would not only be required to support a rear-drive configuration, but four-wheel drive as well.
Old 10-19-2006 | 09:49 AM
Safety Car

Wow. I've heard the speculation of this before, but it didn't pertain to Caddy. Word is that the Holden Torana TT36 Concept is being developed for Pontiac as a 3-Series compeititor. It would be positioned under the Grand Prix/Commodore (which Pontiac hopes will be a 5-Series compeitor). I wouldn't have believed it 5 years ago, but after seeing what GM is doing now I can easily see Pontiac moving to all RWD in the next few years. The Torana is supposed to be able to accept a 4 and 6 cylinder engine (Ecotec and 3.6HFV6, anyone?). Caddy getting a version of this car for Europe doesn't seem far fetched at all. Also, as the article said, it would take car of the BLS (why does the article keep saying BLX?) being FWD and Caddy would have an all RWD lineup worldwide. This car would definitely be smaller than the CTS and probably a little bit smaller than the 3... I wonder if such a car could come here. The only obstacle I see is that it would be a platform mate to the Pontiac Torana, which might turn potential consumers off.
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:39 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Cadillac: New 4cyl RWD vehicle by 2010

The Cadillac Cimarron is widely regarded as one of the worst mistakes in automotive history, but General Motors’ luxury brand is hoping to side step any comparisons as it develops a new four-cylinder, rear-wheel drive sedan for launch in 2010, a new report finds.

The new sedan is set to hit the U.S. market in 2010 as a 2011 model, but its final powertrain offerings remain up in the air. A four-cylinder will definitely be part of the mix, but there is still an internal debate within Cadillac if the new small sedan should be available with a six-cylinder engine.

“There is a big debate as to whether it is four only. I think that is a bridge too far,” Cadillac General Manager Jim Taylor told Automotive News. “There is a piece of the team who is thinking, ‘Well, with this whole fuel economy and gas thing, we ought to go all the way, say, to fours.’ We are resisting that at this stage.”

Some within Cadillac argue that the typical Cadillac buyer isn’t willing to sacrifice power, even if gas prices are near record highs. Taylor even added that he doesn’t think “Americans are going to become un-American that fast.” However, newly passed CAFE regulations take effect in 2011, so Cadillac has to keep a close eye on fuel economy.

And with a new focus on turbocharging within the industry, it’s completely possible to get six-cylinder power out of a four pot engine. For example, GM’s 2.0L turbocharged and direct injected four-cylinder makes 260 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, which would provide more than adequate performance in a small sedan.

Whatever powertrain offerings Cadillac decides to go with, the new sedan will slot below the CTS and will likely draw second looks from BMW 1-series shoppers. GM hasn’t decided on a name for the new sedan yet, but the European BLS nameplate appears to be the front runner.
leftlanenews
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:29 PM
Race Director

Memo to Jim Taylor - the current trend is not a fad. People will switch to smaller cars with less power and there nothing un-American about that. It just took $4/gal gas to make it happen.

When your smallest vehicle in the lineup is a porky 3600+lbs and has a 260HP engine there certainly is plenty of room for a smaller less powerful car below that.

Memo to GM - make it the size of a 1/3 series but cut the weight by 3-400 lbs. Ohhh.... and feel free to sell for less than 30K.
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:31 PM
TMQ
Pro

that's a good move and good news for enthusiasts in general. there's no 4 cylinder RWD car that can fit 4 people in the U.S.
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

:ibitweighs3tons:
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:56 PM
how handsome I am

shit this sounds interesting..
Old 08-25-2008 | 03:43 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

Insert why Acura sucks comments.
Old 08-25-2008 | 03:47 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Black Tire
Insert why Acura sucks comments.
TSX is 4 cyl..
Old 08-25-2008 | 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers
TSX is 4 cyl..
and its wrong wheel drive
Old 08-25-2008 | 08:25 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
and its wrong wheel drive
It does snow in other parts of the county...
Old 08-25-2008 | 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers
It does snow in other parts of the county...
AWD + snow tires > FWD + anything
Old 08-25-2008 | 08:29 PM
Go Giants

AWD + snow tires > FWD + anything
Oh...
Old 08-25-2008 | 10:45 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

AWD + snow tires > FWD + anything > RWD
FIXED
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:03 PM
Race Director

cimmaron, catera, (insertfailedfuturevehiclehere)
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by AsianRage
FIXED
fail
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:05 PM
Race Director

RWD + snow tires > FWD + anything

fixed.
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:05 PM
Safety Car

This car, based on GM's RWD Alpha platform, can't come soon enough. The turbo four is a great idea, and i think that the 3.6 DI @ 300HP would be a wise engine option.
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:09 PM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by titan
This car, based on GM's RWD Alpha platform, can't come soon enough. The turbo four is a great idea, and i think that the 3.6 DI @ 300HP would be a wise engine option.

for shiz.. That would definitely slap some 1 series face around.. Pump some blood into that segment!
Old 08-25-2008 | 11:13 PM
Race Director

we're talking about GM here people. don't expect any 1 series killers.
Old 08-26-2008 | 04:31 AM
Race Director

BLS-v?
Old 08-26-2008 | 08:05 AM
Pinky all stinky

I doubt the average customer is going to change from stock all-seasons to season-specific tires, so I don't really buy into the whole RWD + snow tires argument.
Old 08-26-2008 | 10:59 AM
TMQ
Pro

The average consumer is lazy. that's why AWD is popular in the north. But RWD + snow tires offers the best of both worlds. Plus, most tire shops will do the change for free for you.
Old 08-26-2008 | 11:02 AM

I just don't see why anyone would specifically want FWD over RWD or even AWD.
Old 08-26-2008 | 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phile
I doubt the average customer is going to change from stock all-seasons to season-specific tires, so I don't really buy into the whole RWD + snow tires argument.
you would be amazed at how many do.
RWD + Snow tires is far grater than FWD period.
Old 08-26-2008 | 11:26 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
you would be amazed at how many do.
The norm in Europe. Many bigger tire shops have huge racks of storage for customers' "spare" tires/rims.

I'm afraid Caddy may go the easy route and just bring the BLS over as is.
Old 08-26-2008 | 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by biker
The norm in Europe. Many bigger tire shops have huge racks of storage for customers' "spare" tires/rims.

I'm afraid Caddy may go the easy route and just bring the BLS over as is.
Nothing wrong with the BLS.... personally I could care less for it, but if its going to help their sales then why wouldn't they? IMO they need to bring cars over as is, if anything then fine, rebadge/restyle to match a US-marque. Need I mention the silly integration of DOD on the L76 which barely resulted in any improvement in mileage, if at all.
Old 09-01-2008 | 01:41 PM
intelligentsia

From: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
BLS would be hot but please better the interior. Also why not awd?
Old 09-01-2008 | 02:04 PM
Race Director

Nothing wrong with the BLS....
Except it's FWD when Caddy wants to be like BMW, MB and Infiniti and be RWD across the board.
Old 09-02-2008 | 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

It's gotta be light... and it's gotta be sporty enough to get younger people interested in the Cadillac brand. RWD and under 3400 lbs, and it will go head to head with the 1 series. Make it lighter and cheaper, and it'll have a better chance at selling against the competition, but this is GM we are talking about so they could screw this one up too...

Looks like the cheap rwd segment is expanding very nicely...

Oh, I've driven in New England for 20 years in RWD vehicles, and not one had snow tires... Just all seasons, and when I was younger they were bald and/or bought from Jimmies used tires
Old 09-02-2008 | 08:51 AM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
RWD + Snow tires is far grater than FWD period.
I never doubted that argument.

I was referring to people who say to switch snow tires. The average consumer will not do that. That is precisely why AWD is popular in the north, people would rather pay to NOT use the AWD in the summer months and have it for the winter, rather than pay to change the tires for those winter months on a RWD car.
Old 09-02-2008 | 10:07 AM
intelligentsia

Originally Posted by phile
I never doubted that argument.

I was referring to people who say to switch snow tires. The average consumer will not do that. That is precisely why AWD is popular in the north, people would rather pay to NOT use the AWD in the summer months and have it for the winter, rather than pay to change the tires for those winter months on a RWD car.
Excatly so why not offer a BLS with awd. I mean saab is now using awd just use that existing awd system with saab's turbo system and bingo. The BLS would be awesome granted the design will be changed and will also have a better interior.
Old 09-02-2008 | 11:53 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Originally Posted by SRK85
Excatly so why not offer a BLS with awd. I mean saab is now using awd just use that existing awd system with saab's turbo system and bingo. The BLS would be awesome granted the design will be changed and will also have a better interior.
Is the 9-3 on a new chassis in the last two years? I can't recall if they changed up to a new global platform.

If not, then the BLS is on that old one and the Top Gear guys said it was rubbish. I liked the way it looked a lot but the car was garbage.
Old 09-03-2008 | 12:30 AM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by zeroday
we're talking about GM here people. don't expect any 1 series killers.
:cough: Cts-v vs M5 and E63 :cough:

Caddy is capable no doubt, if any of GM's brands are. That statement may have been true 5 years ago but not these days. You just dont know anymore!
Old 09-03-2008 | 02:08 AM
intelligentsia

Originally Posted by charliemike
Is the 9-3 on a new chassis in the last two years? I can't recall if they changed up to a new global platform.

If not, then the BLS is on that old one and the Top Gear guys said it was rubbish. I liked the way it looked a lot but the car was garbage.
HEHE I know they were making fun of the guy for driving it. Who drives a caddy in the UK? But yea it has like the 2008 9-3 chassis which is nice but this car needs to be unique. Not a saab 9-3 with a caddy body kit.
Old 09-22-2008 | 07:20 PM
TQ > MPG

Its easy to say RWD111!!!! when you live in SoCal. Being in Michigan I would not want a daily driver rwd. Yes I could do it (heck my wife does - Lincoln LS V8), but I drive 35 miles one way, sometimes more, and doing that with 6" of snow is not fun with rwd. She has gotten stuck in the snow multiple times with her CTS.

I like the predictability of fwd, and I out-corner and out-accelerate almost everything during the winter with my snow tires installed.
Old 09-23-2008 | 05:10 AM
Race Director

^^ GM has plenty of FWD offerings for you.
Old 11-22-2010 | 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

2010 Cadillac Urban Luxury Concept

Press release...

Cadillac today introduced the Urban Luxury Concept, a design study exploring a new type of vehicle that offers a luxury experience in a diminutive size. The Cadillac Urban Luxury Concept complements its compact dimensions with the design, features and technology for which Cadillac is known.

“The Cadillac Urban Luxury Concept celebrates its scale with intelligent, innovative content that makes it unique regardless of its size,” said Clay Dean, Director of GM North American Advanced Design and Cadillac Brand Champion. “It has a small exterior footprint, but is roomy inside.”

Conceived and designed in the Los Angeles area, where tight, confined parking areas for apartments, office buildings and even suburban homes are part of everyday driving, the concept weaves Cadillac’s iconic design elements into a form that eschews conventional vehicle design to answer the needs of those metropolitan motorists.

Comparable in size to popular city cars found in Paris, Shanghai and London, the Urban Luxury Concept demonstrates a departure from conventional vehicle design. It seats four, with easy access to all seats available via a pair of scissor-type doors that extend outward and rotate forward when opened. The design fosters a roomy passenger area, which is trimmed in exquisite materials and features next-generation interactive technology. Touch-pad screens and projected readouts take the place of most traditional gauges and serve as the audio and climate system controls – a design feature that helps open up the interior for greater passenger space.

“While small in size, this concept is an exploration of what Cadillac could be in the future, as the brand continues to focus on redefining industry standards for advanced vehicle design and integrated technology,” said Don Butler, vice president for Cadillac marketing.

Engineers have developed a concept hybrid propulsion system for the Urban Luxury Concept that includes a turbocharged 1.0L three-cylinder engine employing electric assist technology, engine start-stop function, brake energy regeneration and a dry dual-clutch transmission. Based on extensive prototype and production experience, a combination of these technologies could offer projected fuel economy of 56 mpg in the city and 65 mpg on the highway, in a vehicle of the size and configuration of the Urban Luxury Concept.

A new scale of Art & Science

As a strong example of form following function, the unconventional body style maximizes passenger space and makes a technology statement. At the push of a button, the large, scissor-type doors push away from the body and rotate in a seamless, elegant motion. A large aperture allows for effortless entry and exit– particularly in tight city parking spaces.

“This is a new vision in vehicle design that was created to answer the needs of city dwellers,” said Frank Saucedo, lead designer. “The door design is purposeful and technologically advanced, which is the essence of how we’re taking Cadillac into the future.”

The Urban Luxury Concept’s design is marked by a sharp profile, supported by forward-sweeping body lines that combine to suggest motion even when the vehicle is stationary. The 19-inch wheels are pushed to the edges of the body – a design that creates almost no overhangs, leaving more space inside. In fact, the car’s wheelbase is 97.1 inches (2,467 mm), but the overall length is only 151 inches (3,835 mm). The interior room is bolstered by a wide, 68.1-inch (1,730 mm) stance and 56.9-inch (1,446 mm) height.

“It may not look like Cadillacs on the road today, but it shares the comfortable and high-tech elements that owners have come to associate with larger, traditional luxury sedans,” said Saucedo. “As more customers demand premium features even in smaller vehicles, a vehicle like the Urban Luxury Concept could be a solution.”

Technologically advanced interior

A large windshield and twin skylights create an open, airy feeling and enhance the perception of spaciousness inside with seating for four. A minimalist approach blends with refined materials, colors and lighting. These elements combine to create a passenger space that conveys the new perception of luxury: small, exquisitely detailed and fitted with the latest in digital technology. The front row passenger seat slides and reclines to offer a relaxing seating position. When folded flat, the seat’s rear panel offers modern parents a conveniently integrated Orbit Baby SmartHub™ docking station within reach.

“There is no minimum size for a Cadillac driving experience. The Urban Luxury Concept’s interior reflects the ‘smaller is better’ aesthetic that permeates the world of technology,” said Saucedo. “And while this design philosophy reflects what’s going on in the world around us, it also has a more practical use when it comes to the Urban Luxury Concept: It creates more interior space.”

The conventional “center stack” of controls is replaced by a divided interface that creates more space at the forward section of the interior. A pair of projected readouts flanks a large, prominent analog speedometer reminiscent of a high-end time piece, assisted by a high-definition head-up display. Capacitive multi-touch switches throughout the interior ensure seamless and intuitive electronic control.

The technology behind the unique touch pad controls is ergonomically tucked around the steering wheel to deliver real-time feedback for an efficient commute. The right-hand touch pad is hidden until deployed or detached by the passenger, who can interact online without compromising the driver’s control. Via the on-board network, a passenger can request destination directions or audio playlists be integrated in the driver controls. Also woven into the system is OnStar with advanced voice recognition interaction, which allows the driver to do more without taking his or her eyes off the road or hands off the steering wheel.

Befitting its role as a Cadillac, the Urban Luxury Concept’s interior materials convey luxury through quality and advanced technology. Blue and grey leather dominates the interior space and is contrasted by fabric selected for its high-tech look and feel, and usually found in couture fashion. It is used on the seats, as well as parts of the instrument panel and door panels.

The interior is finished with carbon-color wood inlays, brushed aluminum accents and ceramic materials. Ambient lighting conveys an upscale aura that is complemented by the ultra-modern Tanzanite glow of the touch-screen displays.
Old 11-22-2010 | 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 11-22-2010 | 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't like the styling of that. And I can't believe it's a 4 seater.

Quick Reply: Cadillac: Urban Luxury Concept news **Revealed (page 1)**