Cadillac: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gavriil
OK I see now. Though I have to say that when Lutz said "Mercedes created Maybach" he meant it from a business standpoint not from a historical one.

but thats not what he said. If that report is accurate.

"That’s why Mercedes had to invent Maybach"

that statement isn't true. Properly worded he should have said like "mercedes used widely known luxury brand...."

I know what he meant to say. But the words he chose to use show his lack of knowledge (and or ability to speak what he;s thinking). And to me it shoots down what he was trying to say.

I also think it might be a misquote, or the editors poor choice of words... but without the other knowledge it stands as is.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by SiGGy
but thats not what he said. If that report is accurate.

"That’s why Mercedes had to invent Maybach"

that statement isn't true. Properly worded he should have said like "mercedes used widely known luxury brand...."

I know what he meant to say. But the words he chose to use show his lack of knowledge (and or ability to speak what he;s thinking). And to me it shoots down what he was trying to say.

I also think it might be a misquote, or the editors poor choice of words... but without the other knowledge it stands as is.

Poor Lutz...
Old 12-18-2003, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.maybachusa.com/microsite/.../main1000.html
Old 01-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Racer

First of all, most people i know have the common conception of cadillac as an old timers, redneck luxury car. Granted, the new styles are nice and all, but for Lutz to be so bold as to say Lexus and Cadillac are the future in luxury....is a bit overboard. GM has been beefing up there SUV market to compete with Fords overwhelming (un-needed) amount of SUVS, and has totally forgotten about their cars. Come on, the Malibu, Impala, and even the Monte carlo have to be the most bland cars on the market, look and performance wise. If they put the money into cadillac, thats all fine and dandy, but it certainly better offer a much higher standard than the boat-on-wheels-Deville!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Cadillac's plan to become "the world's standard"

Cadillac's coming back, but job isn't done yet, official says - By K.C. CRAIN | Automotive News
Old 03-17-2004, 02:37 AM
Kabachitare!

Cadillac Courts Import Owners

Caddy courts California import owners with test drive parties

By Ed Garsten / The Detroit News

IRVINE, Calif. — It was an invitation-only foreign invasion of a defunct U.S. Marine base.

Motorists — in cars and SUVs hailing from Germany, Japan, Italy and Great Britain — drove up to a giant tent with a Hollywood-style faux brick facade festooned with a giant Cadillac logo. Rock music blared, and inside a buffet offered miniburritos, pastries and other finger foods.

But the General Motors Corp. luxury division didn’t invite these mostly import owners here for a picnic. Cadillac is trying to crack one of the toughest markets in the country with a series of “Drive Summits.”

Cadillac’s multibillion-dollar overhaul has translated into higher sales in California in recent years, but the brand still trails Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Lexus by a wide margin in the nation’s largest new car and truck market.

“We knew we had to do something different in California,” said Kim McGill, GM marketing director for North American products. “We didn’t have a lot of people getting in our cars.”

“We had to get behind enemy lines,” added Michael Navari, Cadillac national sales promotion manager.

GM invited 450,000 prospects and current customers to attend the Drive Summits and expects 16,000 people to attend the sessions, which run over six weekends.

Longtime Volvo owner Larry McDavid of Anaheim came out to a recent Friday session on a lark, just to see if Cadillacs were any better than the way he remembered them.

“The last time I drove a Cadillac, it was a long time ago. It was a boat,” McDavid said. “It was soft and cushy, that’s why I went to an import.”

GM may have hooked a convert after McDavid put the new Caddy CTS sedan and SRX sport utility through their paces on a course designed to demonstrate acceleration, braking and handling.

“I was impressed with its handling and responsiveness,” McDavid said after climbing out of the CTS. “I’ll give it a chance.”

Foreign predisposition

Toyota Camry owners Annie and Oren Siegel accepted the invitation with the goal of evaluating the Cadillac SRX and Escalade SUV, but the couple came predisposed against American-made vehicles, which they abandoned years ago.

“The reliability was a huge factor,” Annie Siegel said. “I grew up in Ohio with American cars, but the Toyotas and Hondas started coming out and you drive them 70,000 miles and never have a problem.”

The Santa Clarita couple said they were willing to give Cadillac a chance, but they were not completely sold. “They have good performance,” Oren Siegel said, “but the reliability history is on my mind, and I’m also going to look at the Honda and Toyota.”

After giving up on American-made cars because of quality problems, Camry owner Sharon Shivers said she may be ready to put a Caddy in her garage after test drives in the CTS and SRX.

“It took the curves really nice down there, the speed, the braking,” she said. “It was a smooth ride.”

‘California Initiative’

The Drive Summit is part of what Cadillac calls its “California Initiative” that began 2 1/2 years ago.

“We’ve gained more share in California than in any other market since we started this thing,” Cadillac General Manager Mark LaNeve said. “In our business, that’s certainly a bellwether.”

Cadillac’s market share in California has grown from 0.79 percent in 2001 to 1.08 percent in 2003, according to J.D. Power and Associates. Among luxury marques, Germany’s Mercedes-Benz controls the biggest share of the California market, with 3.34 percent at the end of 2003.

Retail sales for Cadillac in the Golden State increased 12 percent last year and 29 percent in 2002, according to GM. Nationwide, Cadillac sales increased 8.2 percent in 2003 compared with 2002 and are up 7.4 percent through the first two months of this year.

“We’ve made great progress on Cadillac being relevant,” LaNeve said. “But on quality perception, we’re still fighting it.”

Cadillac has also had to fight the buzz war in California — where the biggest stars are on the screen and status is everything.

“The initial move is tough,” she said. “That’s why we do Drive Summit, because we want to show them they don’t have to give up anything to drive a Cadillac.”

The Cadillac Escalade is largely responsible for the brand’s slow resurgence in California and elsewhere. When hip-hop artists appeared in music videos driving the hulking SUV, Cadillac suddenly had “street cred.”

“Surprisingly with Escalade now being part of the culture, it’s sort of created permission to consider Cadillac,” said Jim Sanfilippo of Farmington Hills-based AMCI Corp., which helped GM put together the Drive Summits.

With that and a revamped product line that began with the CTS in 2002, Cadillac has reduced the average age of its buyers from 66 in 2001 to 58, LaNeve said.

Long-term process

Since GM has conducted just two Drive Summit events, the automaker can’t project whether the program has generated incremental sales.

Analysts say real results may not be seen for months, or even years.

“It’s a long-term process they’re going through in trying to transform the brand and regaining credibility, especially with the import consumer,” said Wes Brown, an analyst with Los Angeles-based Iceology, which monitors consumer attitudes and marketing trends.

“With this type of program you hope people will come, look at the vehicle and think, ‘Boy, Cadillac isn’t that bad anymore. Maybe not this time around, but maybe next time.’ ”

Analyst Joe Barker at Farmington Hills-based CSM Worldwide said allowing reluctant buyers to at least try the vehicles against competitors in a low-pressure situation is a good first step.

“It’s the only way you can compare,” Barker said. “But it’s also going to take a lot of investment in marketing the brand image.”

It will take one win at a time, hoping the offer of free rides and finger foods will be enough bait to persuade import owners to give its vehicles a shot and come away with the same assessment as BMW and Lotus owner Mike Gerrard of Laguna Beach.

“Cadillac has come a long way,” Gerrard said after driving a CTS-V.

You can reach Ed Garsten at (313) 223-3217 or egarsten@detnews.com.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:20 AM
Instructor

They took Camry drivers to test out CTS? Why not ask the 2004 Acura TL drivers to take a CTS for a spin. GM is sad!
Old 03-17-2004, 02:14 PM
AKA MaxGeek

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problem with caddy is price. Caddys are great cars but the cost as much as a BMWs.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:52 PM
hail to the victors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Guru
The problem with caddy is price. Caddys are great cars but the cost as much as a BMWs.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:26 AM
Kabachitare!

Cadillac courts hip trendsetters

Monday, March 22, 2004

Cadillac Escalade courts hip trendsetters

By Earle Eldridge / USA TODAY

When Cadillac launched a redesigned Escalade sport-utility vehicle two years ago, it scored a hit with rappers, athletes and hip-hop wannabes.

Cadillac certainly hadn't planned that. But now, it's actively courting hip-hop trendsetters, giving them secret previews of the next-generation Escalade, offering them limited-edition versions and creating a contest for celebrities to show off their customized trucks.

In September, Cadillac rented a closed movie studio lot in California and invited rap artists, hip-hop entertainers and professional athletes, including several Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers basketball players, to a secret meeting.

Cadillac wanted to give them a private preview of the 2006 Escalade, which has not been shown publicly. To improve attendance, Cadillac promised not to publicize the event and even today refuses to name the 30 or so athletes and entertainers who came and stayed for several hours.

Most of the invitees own at least one Escalade, and Cadillac executives wanted to get their thoughts on the future model. While Cadillac wouldn't confirm it, it's a safe bet that L.A. Lakers star Shaquille O'Neal and rapper Snoop Dogg were invited. Both are loyal and vocal Cadillac lovers.

"We were amazed at the number that accepted," says Jeff Kuhlman, a Cadillac spokesman who attended the preview.

"They are passionate about the Escalade," says Mike Jackson, general manager of General Motors' western region. "When you've got a product like next-generation Escalade that is very, very critical to Cadillac as a whole, you want to make sure you get it right."

Participants weren't allowed to drive the SUV. But Cadillac officials wanted to get feedback on what sort of wheels, audio system and interior features would appeal to them.

During the NBA All-Star weekend last month, the Lakers' O'Neal hosted an event called the GM All-Car Showdown contest, pitting professional athletes against entertainers to see who had the best customized Escalade or Hummer H2, another big SUV.

Lakers' star Bryon Russell was crowned "King of Bling" for his dressed-up H2. (Bling is a slang term to describe fancy jewelry, derived from the "bling, bling" sound that heavy gold and silver necklaces make when they are dropped.)

"The GM All-Car Showdown was a cool event," O'Neal told USA TODAY. "It was a good mix of old-school vintage GM rides with the latest and greatest.

"I was proud to show off my cars for the world to see that Shaq not only has the game but rides, too."

The GMC Yukon Denali, a corporate twin of the Escalade, is attracting buyers who are as young and as wealthy as the Cadillac's.

Some might be opting for the Denali because they don't want the attention-grabbing Escalade, which, with its growing popularity, has become one of the most stolen vehicles in the USA.

"Everyone talks about Escalade, but Denali is a story, too," says Tom Beaman, a GMC spokesman. It's "among the top vehicles considered among young, affluent males, trailing only luxury cars and trucks."

But it's Cadillac that is out front in courting the hip crowd.

Marketing analyst Gordon Wangers, president of Automotive Marketing Consultants in Vista, Calif., says that's a smart move.

"I give them a lot of credit," he says. "They are going right to the opinion leaders. They got lucky with the Escalade, and now, they are taking the ball and running with it."

The only potential risk Wangers sees is if Cadillac focuses on pleasing buyers in Los Angeles and New York and ignores the rest of the nation.

In a bow to those who love to customize their trucks with lots of add-ons, Cadillac has created the Escalade ESV Platinum Edition, which sells for about $65,000.

The Platinum Escalade has two ceiling-mounted TV screens, 20-inch chrome wheels, and heated and cooled cup holders.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:47 AM

I guess they think that shit is hip. I was hip initially. Nowadays it is very played out and lame. Since they only have a limited palatte of colors, it is funny riding around the club scene here b/c everyone has an Escalade/Denali with the same colors and the same rims.

How original, the Platinum Edition....
Old 03-23-2004, 10:56 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw a two tone escalade the other day, blue on the bottom half and white on the top.

It was great looking. I know it probably sounds ugly but it looked good.

Is that custom?
Old 03-24-2004, 11:33 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This would have been hot back in 2001, 20s are too small now. Everyone I know that has a fullsize SUV is on 22s or bigger.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
This would have been hot back in 2001, 20s are too small now. Everyone I know that has a fullsize SUV is on 22s or bigger.
I agree. 20s are sadly , to small nowadays. Gotta have at least 22s now.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

GM to cut Cadillac production

GM to cut Cadillac production - - Reuters / February 24, 2005 - - Source: Automotive News

NEW YORK -- General Motors plans to cut production at a Michigan plant built to produce a new generation of Cadillac cars and SUVs, The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday.

The newspaper said the cut comes as a backlog of Cadillac's newest models are piling up on dealer lots.

GM could not immediately be reached for comment.

According to the article, a weeklong shutdown is planned for the end of this month at the Lansing Grand River factory near Lansing, Mich.

The Wall Street Journal said Paul Ballew, GM's executive director for market and industry analysis, told the paper the company's data for Cadillac's retail sales for cars and trucks, excluding fleet sales, showed a 9 percent rise last month compared with a year ago, while Cadillac retail car sales were up 13 percent.

"We had a good January and we are having a strong February," the newspaper quoted him as saying. "All indicators are that we are going to have a good year."
Old 02-24-2005, 03:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Too expensive is their biggest problem. If they had priced these properly, they wouldn't have to rely so heavily on incentives to move them off the lots.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How can they see dealer lots are backing up with the models but sales are up?
Old 02-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Team Owner

Because unlike Japanese company's that use just-in-time manufacturing timelines, American manufacturers set a number and work to produce that number . This means that even if the car isn't selling well, they can't scale back production as easily. So while sales might be up over last year, this simply means that the production increase from last year exceeded their expectations.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

HUMMER Ad Chief to Cadillac

HUMMER Ad Chief to Cadillac - - The Car Connection

The woman who helped craft the distinctive ads that propelled HUMMER through its launch has left the brand for Cadillac. Liz Vanzura will become director of global marketing for Cadillac, replacing Jon Brancheau. Vanzura is responsible for green-lighting some of the clever, evocative ads that helped HUMMER into the national spotlight, all under the tagline, "Like nothing else." Reports indicate that HUMMER's general manager Susan Docherty will take over Vanzura's role while a search for a replacement is undertaken.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

This is HUGE news for Cadillac for those that follow the marketing departments of automakers.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Cadillac ads suck with Led Zeplin screeching in the background. The Hummer ads have been very original.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I dont watch ads DVR...
Old 01-18-2006, 09:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by gavriil
I dont watch ads DVR...
...but I agree the Caddy ads are HORRIBLE compared to all the other lux car makes.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:41 AM
on to the next one...

I kinda liked the Caddy ads...
...but I liked the Hummer ads better, like the one with the kid that makes is road racer look like a Hummer and beats all the other kids to the bottom. Yeah, that was a good one.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 65 Fury Convert
Cadillac ads suck with Led Zeplin screeching in the background. The Hummer ads have been very original.
Oh my god, couldn't agree with you more. those ads are horible. In general GM ads are weak. The hummer ones are an exception.

I don't know who thought that playing classic rock music when you are trying to sell an upscale vehicle is a good idea. But, leave it to GM to pay em good money for a stupid idea.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
I saw a better Cadilliac CTS ad yesterday. It's the one where the young exec wakes up early and races in his CTS to get first to work and impress the CEO. Cuts to the CEO, who drives a CTS-V. The young exec nearly makes it first into the parking spot next to the one that says "reserved for CEO", but the CEO still wins thanks to his faster car
Complete with reverse-stereotype of black CEO and white exec.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Cadillac: Sales, Marketing, and Financial news

Cadillac still looking for international volume - - By DAVE GUILFORD | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - - Source: Autoweek

Jim Taylor, Cadillac marketing general manager, says the division needs to make progress on one laggard element in its largely successful revival plan: building international volume.

American dealers should pay close attention to Cadillac's efforts to pump up sales in Europe, China and elsewhere, Taylor said, because overseas sales can be decisive in getting products approved for the United States.

For instance, he said in an interview here, the CTS and STS required significant investment for relatively low volumes. The expectation that incremental volume would come from overseas was important to their business case, he said.

"You add 5,000 units in Europe, 5,000 in China and 5,000 in the Middle East and pretty soon that adds up to real money," Taylor said. "It can make the difference between a program that can make it and a program that can't."

Even getting the 5,000 in Europe will be a struggle, where Cadillac sold about half that last year. Taylor conceded that GM's projections of overseas growth have been overly optimistic.

Cadillac had to regain its reputation in its home market before it could win credibility with overseas buyers and -- equally importantly -- overseas dealers, he said. But gaining volume, especially with the entry-luxury compact BLS in Europe, is a more realistic possibility now, he says.

"The international volume for us is really key," he added.

Taylor said he has three other priority items on his to-do list:

(1) Fixing the SRX. Cadillac's Sigma-based crossover has been well regarded, winning enthusiast-magazine praise for its handling, but sales have been weak. Taylor said Cadillac will re-launch it this summer with a multimedia campaign that will tout a new interior and a sport version. But longer term, the vehicle's extended station-wagon look that allows for a third row of seats needs to be modified to give it a clearer crossover personality, he said.

(2) Getting an X3 fighter. Cadillac wants to battle BMW's small crossover. It's hunting for a platform because the niche "probably is the next target area for us," Taylor said.

(3) Reviving the ultra-luxury sedan proposal. Cadillac has long wanted to bring a $100,000-plus sedan to market. But, Taylor conceded, GM's current financial problems have put the project on hold.

"It's a nice-to-have," he said, "but not critical."
Old 05-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
Post Cadillac tops Lexus in satisfaction survey

Wowie...Club Lex is gonna have a field day with this...

==============

Cadillac has trumped Lexus as the highest regarded luxury brand, according to a owner satisfaction study by research firm AutoPacific. Last year, Lexus narrowly beat Cadillac for the number one spot. Cadillac had the top rated entry Luxury Car with its CTS and solid performances by the rest of its lineup, the firm said. The top rated Mainstream Brand is Honda. The Honda Ridgeline and Odyssey also got top honors in their respective categories.

In rating major segments, Sport Utility Vehicle owners rate their vehicles more satisfying than do Car, Pickup or Minivan owners. This finding goes contrary to popular myth that SUVs are fading in popularity and SUV owners are dissatisfied with their vehicles.

AutoPacific previously announced individual vehicle winners. The vehicle registering highest overall satisfaction in 2006 is the Lincoln Navigator Luxury SUV winning top vehicle, top truck and top Luxury SUV honors. The highest rated car is the new-for-2006 Hyundai flagship — Hyundai Azera.

AutoPacific’s VSA establishes numerical satisfaction ratings for virtually every car and light truck in the United States. Owner satisfaction is calculated across 45 specific areas related to a vehicle’s operation, comfort, safety and the overall purchase/lease experience.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/...action-survey/
Old 05-31-2006, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
first the GS's is outsold by an *gasp* infiniti, and now this?

What is the world coming to?
Old 05-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Meh. These things fluctuate year to year. Good for Honda, they weren't #1 last year though, were they?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:21 PM
Instructor

still wouldnt buy a cadillac over a lexus
Old 05-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ImportsRhot
still wouldnt buy a cadillac over a lexus
Then you're being closed-minded.

I'd very highly consider a CTS-V or STS-V as my next car...the interiors are not as great as I would like...but, with that kind of performance, who cares?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah
Then you're being closed-minded.

I'd very highly consider a CTS-V or STS-V as my next car...the interiors are not as great as I would like...but, with that kind of performance, who cares?
Look at his screenname ... ... What a shock
Old 05-31-2006, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I can see the clublexus "justifications" now...

"Oh, it's because lexus is winning over younger buyers now...and younger buyers are more picky"

or

"Caddy buyers are less passionate about their cars and easier to satisfy"
Old 05-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

Aside from the V-series models and the XLR, I'm still rather ambivalent towards the rest of the lineup.

It is nice to hear that their quality seems to be improving. Now if only they could improve their resale values, then I might consider looking at one for a future car purchase.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Aside from the V-series models and the XLR, I'm still rather ambivalent towards the rest of the lineup.

It is nice to hear that their quality seems to be improving. Now if only they could improve their resale values, then I might consider looking at one for a future car purchase.
I agree but that is going to take time unfortunately and honestly they need to cut out fleet sales or at least cut them down to BMW and Mercedes levels. That kills the used car market on Caddys.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Sorry dude...but, what's your point? That's like me for the Infiniti series. The only cars that remotely interest me is the G35 and the FX35/45.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Sorry dude...but, what's your point? That's like me for the Infiniti series. The only cars that remotely interest me is the G35 and the FX35/45.
My point is that even though their quality appears to be up, I still would not be ready to buy one because of various other factors.

Now go back to your robots.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Now go back to your robots.
FINE.

And I think I will.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Other than quality efforts, I think there is little Caddy can do enhance resale value particularly as their products are already priced competitively against other luxo names IMHO. I think perception of GM quality (which is not as bad as rumored) is more at play here.

Getting back to quality, looks like Caddy is doing their part:

Last edited by F23A4; 05-31-2006 at 03:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Cadillac: Sales, Marketing, and Financial News