Cadillac: CTS News **2018 V Revealed (page 46)**

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep, that central dash is a mess of ugliness. Compare the G35's dash to that and even Shawn would like it.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:56 AM
I Feel Too Old Here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the center dash isnt THAT bad, i'd still hit it. but yeah, i dont like how its directioned toward the driver...
Old 09-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Banned

if you buy a CTS-V....the LAST thing on your mind...and in the mind of your passangers or competitors on a track or street will be the fucking dashboard.

this car kicks fucking ASS!! it smokes the pants off anything it competes against, hands down.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by jimcol711
if you buy a CTS-V....the LAST thing on your mind...and in the mind of your passangers or competitors on a track or street will be the fucking dashboard.

this car kicks fucking ASS!! it smokes the pants off anything it competes against, hands down.
bullshit...otherwise you would have bought a corvette
Old 09-22-2003, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by bkknight369

no, not at all. the CTS-V offers alot that the Z06 doesnt. namely 4 doors and the ability to store cargo and carry 5 people in the car. if i personally was going to chose between the Z06 and the CTS-V, id take the Z06, simply because im young and more sports-car oriented. if i had a family, id get the CTS-V.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:50 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally posted by bkknight369
If you are gonna bay big $$ for this thing you gotta get your $$ worth. The dash is pathetic!! Ive' seen better out of Korea.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Guys. For being a premium car, this dash needs to go. And it will. It was the first thing Bob Lutz told designers when he saw it. And the CTS is getting a new interior for the 2005 model year.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by gavriil
I wrote the writer an email:

"Subject: 2 typos in your article about the CTS-V

1. The new engine is not 3.5 liters but 3.6 liters.

2. The warranty is not 3/36K but 4/50K.

What's the matter?

Gabriel
Chicago, IL"
I received Paul's response to the above:

----------------------------------------------------

Gabriel:
Yep, you're right.
Took the first number down wrong at the backgrounder and should've
trusted memory, not notes.
As for the warranty, before filing my story I actually called to
confirm
that figure with Caddy PR (specif: would it be different from base
CTS?);
the published number was what I was given. I have since checked and he
is
in error. (As I will pointedly advise him...omitting reference to the
other error, of course.)
We'll correct the posted copy. Thanks for your keen eyes.
Paul A. Eisenstein
Publisher, TheCarConnection.com
Old 09-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Masshole

I agree. For $50k, they need a better interior.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
She's a bit heavy. But with 400hp it should still move out pretty good

The interior didn't do much for me in the pictures. I need to see it in person.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:10 AM
Advanced

It was the first thing Bob Lutz told designers when he saw it. And the CTS is getting a new interior for the 2005 model year.
Wasn't the one who approved this design???
Old 09-23-2003, 06:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by agisd
Wasn't the one who approved this design???
No. Bob had nothing to do with the design of the CTS' interior. He came into the loop after the designs were finalized.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Review from Autoweek:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Class Divisions: Cadillac’s CTS V-Series will rock the sport-sedan world

By MAC MORRISON

WE HAVEN’T SEEN KEN Morris for a while. Truth told, that’s a good thing. Don’t misinterpret us: We like the program-engineering manager for General Motors’ new Performance Division. He is well-spoken, affable, and a levelheaded guy. Still, when we cross paths we feel those familiar pangs of jealousy: We want his job.

Especially today. Especially here.

Here is the old Nürburgring, and the venue drop-kicks our adrenal gland into overdrive as it did when we last saw Morris (AW, Aug. 13, 2001). The ’Ring is the Mount Everest of racetracks. To conquer it at speed is the driver’s equivalent of a successful climb up the world’s tallest mountain. Throw a 400-hp Cadillac CTS into the mix and...

2004 CADILLAC
CTS V-SERIES
ON SALE: January 2004
BASE PRICE: $45,000 (est.)
POWERTRAIN: 5.7-liter, 400-hp, 395-lb-ft V8; rwd, six-speed manual
CURB WEIGHT: 3833 pounds
0-60 MPH: 4.6 seconds (mfr.)

Wait a minute! A 400-hp Cadillac? CTS? Yes, and it’s a Caddy honed at the ’Ring by Morris and other Performance Division engineers. The CTS V-Series—GM’s first product to benefit from the work of the in-house garagistes—is about to strafe the sport-sedan world. Let us say this loud and clear: With the Cadillac CTS V, GM has proven it can make a performance sedan sing and dance, and be competitive.

The CTS V is Cadillac’s answer to BMW’s M3, Audi’s S4 and Mercedes-Benz’s C32 AMG ultra-high-performance sedans. It is the most powerful production Cadillac ever, and the most fun to drive by a long shot. The car signifies Cadillac and GM’s commitment to meet the Europeans head-on in the most important slice of the sport-sedan segment. You don’t last long in this league if you can’t wring world-class performance from your hardware. Right away. There’s no partial credit given, no marks for effort, and GM knows it.

“We want to be recognized for having the best performance powertrains in the world, that’s the bottom line,” says Performance Division director John Heinricy. “We’re doing it with our own in-house group because we believe we’re as good as anybody at doing it.” It’s not just powertrains, either. Everything from exterior to interior falls under the in-house wing; there will be no outside help. GM believes wholeheartedly in its people’s ability to match the European benchmarks. Not long ago, you might have laughed at such an assertion, but these Performance Division guys are serious. And experienced. Heinricy worked as assistant chief Corvette engineer on both C4 and C5, and there is no doubt lessons learned from such programs carry over to the CTS V.

With intake and exhaust systems designed specifically for the Cadillac, the car’s 5.7-liter, all-aluminum, pushrod V8 is the same LS6 used in the Corvette Z06. The output lost relative to the Corvette appli-cation is minor, with 400 hp at 6000 rpm and 395 lb-ft of torque at 4800 rpm (this is a 5 hp and 5 lb-ft loss at the same revs). The only transmission offered is a slightly modified version of the Corvette’s Tremec T56 six-speed gearbox (the 1-4 skip-shift remains), which works with a clutch-type limited-slip differential and 3.73:1 final drive to drill power to the road. Performance Division officials say the V can spin its 245/45R-18 Goodyear Eagle F1s to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds, and we have no reason to doubt the claim. World-class territory for sure.

Newfound harmony: The CTS V’s interior features aluminum instead of wood trim, while suede seat inserts help to hold you in place.

Sounds good, but there is only one way to find out how the CTS V feels on the limit. The Nordschleife (the ’Ring’s 12.8-mile North Loop) is clean and devoid of the locals who normally queue up to drive—and often crash—all sorts of random machinery through the Eifel Mountains. The sky is blue and Morris is flying in the Caddy.

“Normally, I’d be flat here,” he says as we turn in for Fuchsröhre. “But since you’re in the car, I’m lifting a little.” Right. We slice through the left-hand kink in the neighborhood of 135 mph, and Morris can’t stop talking. He bounced with excitement as soon as we arrived at the track and now grins wider with each lap.

With more than 500 flat-out Nürburgring laps under his safety harness, Morris is more than capable of taking a car to the edge; it’s the only way he can enjoy himself here. You can tell he is qualified to do so by how effortlessly, how easily—and gently—he grips the wheel and taps the pedals to coax speed from the CTS V.

“I hate driving around here slowly,” he says, and for a split second we could swear physical pain reflects from his face at the thought.

Once we eject Morris from the driver’s seat, it doesn’t take long to understand why: This place is sick. The variety of corners—all 177 of them—challenges car and pilot capability like no other place on earth. If it had arms, the circuit would smack you across the face with its gauntlet and challenge you to a duel. Given the number of cars and motorcycles extricated from the wall each week, there is more than a fair chance it would win.

From the pilot’s seat, you pick out landmarks to help determine your location, but it takes more than the 10 or so laps we have to learn the proper, fast line. By the time you survive the first few turns, it is easy to see why Sir Jackie Stewart dubbed this “The Green Hell.” Approach a bend and strain your eyes to spot turn-in points and apexes. Then strain and wait some more; many of these turns are so blind that to get your car out of its proper track position is easy, even if you’re just cruising, and the trees and guardrails that line the track linger in your mind. The disaster potential here is enormous; the concentration mandated is interminable. If your car doesn’t handle well, then, gute nacht.

The LS6 has a new home, but it fits in nicely.

We have no such concern today. The CTS V behaves fabulously better than a straight-line superstar. Suspension revisions ensure its response is easily anticipated and well matched to the thunderous LS6 power. Up front, the aluminum control arms remain unchanged from the standard CTS, but shock stiffness increases while diameter grows from 36 mm to 46 mm. The Performance Division installs stiffer springs and a larger, 26.6-mm antiroll bar, which help to cope with the V’s higher, 3833-pound curb weight (the base 3.2-liter CTS weighs 3568, while the new-for-2004 3.6-liter car checks in at 3694). A steel brace spans the underhood area between shock towers, and the front cradle is hydroformed from thicker-gauge steel. Finally, welded-steel gussets reinforce key stressed areas. The rear cradle, shocks, springs and antiroll bar are similarly upgraded, though shock diameter is unchanged from that of the base car. However, the V’s standard, self-leveling Sachs Nivomat shocks have internal pumps that automatically adjust spring and damper rates based on suspension load and road condition.

Even when you know the CTS V has been dialed-in for track use, there is a need to adjust your personal information processor; you just don’t expect to go this fast in a Caddy. The test session confirms the point when you look at the VDO instrument cluster as it indicates 140 mph (there are still 22 mph to go before you top out). With each stab at the throttle, you feel the LS6’s ruthless torque coarse through its meaty prop- and half-shafts, and you know you shouldn’t go any faster. But of course you do. This chassis makes you susceptible to the suggestions of that little devil on your shoulder (he looks like Morris): “Go ahead,” he whispers. “Do it.”

Through high, medium and low-speed corners, this car is world-class, yet still delivers more than a modicum of luxury livability. Turn-in is quick, and it has more aggressively tuned steering relative to the standard car—though not as knife-edged as BMW’s M3—that gives good feedback on-center and throughout its range. The suspension does not wallow, but it is not so stiff that it requires race-driver reflexes when pushed hard. The 52/48 front/rear weight distribution helps to keep the pendulum effect well under control. Enter a quick corner and the CTS V takes a smooth, predictable set, and holds it throughout the radius. Even the exhaust note balances the need for auditory fulfillment with that for civility. Think Corvette soundtrack dialed back: You won’t get the same satisfaction as with the Z06, but nor will you offend the in-laws when you pick them up at the airport. Oh, and will they have a ride to remember.

Your ability to explore the outer edges of the V’s performance is made easier by the four-mode StabiliTrak traction and stability system; the much-touted magnetorheological ride control found on some GM cars is not offered. In the default mode the StabiliTrak leaves traction and stability control in full effect. Push a steering wheel-mounted button once to cancel traction assist. Punch it again within five seconds and activate the competitive mode, which leaves your right foot as the only wheelspin sensor and also reduces the amount of stability control intervention. If you really feel you’ve got game, hold the button for five seconds to cancel both traction and stability assist.

For most of our laps we choose competitive mode, and it seems a wise decision. You can easily push the CTS V into neutral drifts or full-fledged, tail-out hooligan antics. The pillar-vented, four-piston Brembo brakes are always on standby if you overcook it, and are the best you will find in the sport-sedan niche. Pedal feel is extremely firm, and we never managed to induce fade or increased pedal travel. If these brakes don’t die at the ’Ring, we don’t reckon they will die anywhere.

However and wherever you choose to drive, you’ll encounter a sport-sedan experience unique to the CTS V.

GM’s Performance Division has combined muscle car velocity with a sublime sedan package, and it works equally well on street or track. On public roads light-impact harshness can be mildly irritating over rough pavement, and the firm (but hardly leg-breaking) clutch and somewhat blocky shifter may grow tiresome during rush-hour gridlock. If that is the case, forget this car now. The CTS V provides enough comfort, performance and enthusiast-oriented details—from the low, aggressive front and rear fascias and aerodynamic rockers, to the driver information center that displays current and peak lateral g forces, among other data—to match anything the competition offers.

World-class? It might be in a class of its own.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:24 AM
Advanced

I actually like this car. I wonder how fast it will depreciate hehehe...

It's heavy though...
Old 09-23-2003, 07:45 AM
Moderator Alumnus

2003 M5
Weight = 4024 pounds

2004 CTSV
Weight = 3833 pounds

Pretty competitive I would say.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Go Cubs!!!

the interior looks the same to me as any BMW 300 or even the M3, none of them ever impressed me.

And why does everyone keep on saying its overweight........what are you expecting 2500lbs, no way would you ever get traction.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 3.2cl-s
the interior looks the same to me as any BMW 300 or even the M3, none of them ever impressed me.

And why does everyone keep on saying its overweight........what are you expecting 2500lbs, no way would you ever get traction.
1. I disagree with the interior comment. I love the 3's interior compared to the CTS' (and I have driven both - the 3 several times)

2. I agree. The weight is not too much nor too little for the category. 400 lb-ft need hefty drivetrains for 5 year warranty.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Banned

Guys. For being a premium car, this dash needs to go. And it will. It was the first thing Bob Lutz told designers when he saw it. And the CTS is getting a new interior for the 2005 model year.
Good, and this is why GM is back.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
its nice to see all the speed freaks deep within the bowels of GM will finally get to strut their stuff. There is a lot of talent at GM that never gets a chance to shine. As long as i can remember (which is pretty long now ) i would read about these cool projects that would constantly get axed by the bean counters at GM.
I said it before...we are living in a new golden era of automobiling .I can not believe the amount of nice stuff that has come or is coming into the market.
Now, i just need a bigger paycheck :P
Old 09-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Kabachitare!

Get rid of the "K-mart" interior and we have a real winner here.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:07 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Spy Shots: ’05 Caddy CTS-V Racing

A run at the American Le Mans series for Caddy’s new hot-rod sedan.

by Hans Lehmann/Hidden Image (2003-10-20)

Edgy new styling makes recent Cadillacs stand out from other cars, but it's not only the styling that has lead to the resurgence of the make. It is also a strong emphasis on power and performance.

Cadillac has already shown its performance version of the CTS, named the CTS-V. Talk about a racecar for the street - it accelerates with 400 horsepower and stops with Brembo brakes. But Cadillac isn't going to be content to just let its customers do a little street racing with their CTS-V. The carmaker is going to use the car to showcase Cadillac's performance and power by taking the CTS-V racing, going back to the old slogan of "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday."

These latest photos, taken at Germany's famous Nürburgring racetrack, show the racing version of the CTS-V as it goes through high-speed testing and development. The racecar shares the CTS-V's bold front-end styling, but one look at the big added-on fender flares and super-wide low-profile racing tires shows that this CTS-V is a true competition model. Look for it to race in the GT classes of the American Le Mans series.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:13 AM
Kabachitare!

It's a performance monster with a monster's looks. Just replace the word "edgy" with "ugly" and the above decription fits perfectly.

At least the M3 and M5 look really good in addition to being performance machines, IMHO.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Still ugly but it sure does seem more appealing now.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Moderator Alumnus

First Drive: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V
Euro Beater
By D. John Booth
Date Posted 10-14-2003

What's gotten into Cadillac, I don't know. After years of spineless denial, corporate vacillation and engineering apathy, the once (and possibly future?) standard of the world is again a force to be reckoned with.

What caused Cadillac's reawakening, I have no idea. When you can count Cimarron, Allante and the Catera amongst your numerous flops, pinpointing the day that GM's luxury brand finally said "enough is enough" and decided to get back in the business of building world-class cars is difficult.

But indeed, it has done just that. The CTS, for all the press about its avant-garde styling, has sold well. The recently released top-of-the-line XLR convertible is indeed in the same league as the best from Mercedes and Jaguar. And the company's new SRX luxury sport-ute may prove to be a grand-slam home run in a segment already replete with big hitters.

If you need further proof that Cadillac is serious about competing head-to-head with the Europeans, then you're going to be amazed at its latest audacity. Targeting quite possibly the luxury segment's strongest franchise, BMW's incomparable M3, the CTS-V is what five short years ago would have been unthinkable — a luxury performance sedan from the company that invented the tail fin.

The CTS-V comes by its new performance status honestly, Cadillac having liberated the latest-generation 5.7-liter V8 from Corvette's mondo-rapid Z06. In CTS-V guise, the LS-6 small block generates a full 400 horsepower, a number that towers over the M3 and is virtually identical to BMW's top-of-the-line M GmbH product, the M5.

Cadillac claims a 4.6-second 0-to-60-mph time which is entirely believable considering the way that the LS-6's 395 lb-ft of torque is transmitted through the Tremec six-speed manual transmission, also sourced from the Z6. Even the top gears fail to blunt its thrust and on Road America's long back straight, the CTS-V hit the same top speed as this editor attained on the same track just two months ago on a two-wheeled superbike. Cadillac boasts that the CTS-V tops out at an autobahn-devouring 163 miles per hour, again superior to the BMW numbers, but in this case because the German company chooses to electronically limit its cars to 156. In any case, hopefully the message is clear. This isn't just another GM marketing maven's sports car, dressed up in faux ground effects and some racing stripes. The CTS-V is a ground-pounding, asphalt-melting sport sedan with performance equal to the best in this land or any other.

Stomach-wrenching acceleration is to be expected when you combine 400 hp and the CTS-V's relatively-light-for-a-big-sedan 3,847 pounds, just 338 (of which the bigger motor accounts for 62 pounds and the more robust transmission a further 60) more than the base 3.2 V6. What was far less expected was the big V8's sophistication relative to its application in the Corvette. Prior to my hot laps around Wisconsin's Road America, I expected the CTS-V's turn of speed to be accompanied by the Z06's NVH — loud intake roar, valve clatter and a general rumbling not befitting a luxury sedan. In fact, I fully expected to be disappointed that the company hadn't chosen a hot-rodded version of its more modern Northstar double overhead cam V8 instead of the Corvette's antiquated pushrod lump (Cadillac claims that the LS-6 was chosen because the Northstar was too big to fit in the CTS' engine bay, originally designed for a V6).

In fact, there was nothing to be disappointed about. Indeed, Cadillac has exorcised almost all of cacophony, thanks to a stiffer engine cradle, optimal engine mounting and low-impedance gusseting. Even if I don't quite understand how such small changes make such a large difference, I can certainly appreciate its effect as the overhead valve LS-6, in this guise at least, feels as sophisticated as some of the competition's double overhead cam designs.

Surprisingly, the CTS' rear-wheel-drive chassis didn't need much reinforcement to handle all the extra power. Other than a bolt-in shock tower brace to allow more linear steering input as the big 245/45ZR18 Goodyear Eagle run-flats bite the tarmac, little chassis-stiffening is needed to cope with the CTS-V's new turn of speed.

Of course, the tuning of the various chassis bits has radically changed. Spring rates are up 27 percent all round and the stabilizer bars are 3.6mm (front) and 3.0mm (rear) thicker than on the standard item, with firmer damping at all four corners and Nivomat self-leveling rear shocks at the rear. And the addition of the bigger engine and sturdier transmission has only transferred about two percentage points of the car's weight balance forward (it now stands at about 54/46 front to rear).

All of which adds up to a car that handles like no Cadillac before it. More softly suspended than the M3 (and you really notice its more comfortable ride on the street), the CTS-V was nonetheless fully capable on the ultrahigh-speed corners of Road America, with body control easily the equal of, and most probably superior to, Audi's S4 and Mercedes' C32 AMG. Steering response is very linear, body roll well contained (especially at the front) and grip prodigious.

In fact, Cadillac is so proud of its accomplishments in this last regard that the CTS-V is the first car with a built-in "g" meter to measure lateral acceleration (one wag redlined it a 1.0 at Road America, an incredible number if it's accurate). Another piece of electronic trickery, this again liberated from the Corvette Z06, is the CTS-V's advanced vehicle stability control system with GM's unique Competition Mode. Press the steering-wheel-mounted traction control button twice within five seconds and the CTS-V's advanced chassis computer will let you hang the rear end out under power until it determines you are well and truly out of control. Hold the same button for more than five seconds and it won't interfere at all.

Harnessing all the engine's newfound power is the biggest brakes on any GM sedan with massive 355mm front discs gripped by Brembo four-piston calipers. The rears are even larger at 365mm, and, surprisingly, they too have four-piston calipers. Despite Road America's extended straightaways being punctuated by tight hairpins, there was virtually no fade, though admittedly the brake pad dust did soil the gleam of the CTS-V's 18-inch alloys.

In fact, there's absolutely nothing to fault about the CTS-V's comportment. You have to look inside the cabin for that. Based on a fully loaded CTS, the V adds sport seats with more side bolstering, a tacked-on scuff plate and some new, and much needed, gauges. Unfortunately, the same questionable plastic surfaces remain and stand out more now that the V's MSRP stretches to $49,995 (just over $51,000 if you add the sunroof, the only available option). The dash's material looks like that in the latest Accord, but the more expensive Cadillac can't match the Honda for the soft, tactile feel of its interior materials.

Ditto for the center stack which still needs upgrading if Cadillac wants to take on the Euros (especially Audi) on an even footing. It might look good enough for a Malibu, but it's not upscale enough for a car that wants to talk trash to the best the world has to offer. None of which changes the fact that the CTS-V is, and by some margin, the best car I've tested wearing any GM logo. It's also more than capable of competing with the established Euro sedans. On an even footing, no excuses needed.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:20 PM
Suzuka Master

It's a really awesome car IMO... The only thing it needs is an interior refreshining... GM really hit the ball out of the park with this car IMO
Old 10-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Man the exterior looks good ... just fix the interior and that's a pimpin' ride
Old 10-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CTS isn't that heavy when you consider its size. It's closer in size to a 5 series or E -class Benz than a 3 series or a C - class.

Also I wouldn't worry about the $50K price tag. Caddy's that sticker for ~ $50K often sell for $10K off. At $40K it would actually be less than a well equipped 330i or a c320.

here's how the stats compare according to edmunds:

Mercedes-Benz C320
MSRP Invoice
Base Price for
Zip Code Change $38,110 $35,442 $36,922
Typical Options new feature
Add/Remove $4,190 N/A $4,073
Destination Charge $720 $720 $720
Total $43,020 $36,162 $41,715

Specifications
Type: Compact Sedan
Where Built: Germany

Dimensions
Exterior
Length: 178.2 in. Width: 68 in.
Height: 55.1 in. Wheel Base: 106.9 in.
Ground Clearance: 6.3 in. Curb Weight: 3450 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 38.9 in. Front Hip Room: 51.9 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 53.1 in. Rear Head Room: 37.3 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 54.3 in. Rear Hip Room: 54.5 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.7 in. Rear Leg Room: 33 in.
Luggage Capacity: 12.2 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 12 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

Performance
Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3.2 liters
Base Engine Type: V6 Horsepower: 215 hp
Max Horsepower: 5700 rpm Torque: 221 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 3000 rpm Drive Type: AWD
Turning Circle: 35.3 ft.

BMW 330i
MSRP Invoice
Base Price for
Zip Code Change $34,800 $31,830 $34,369
Typical Options new feature
Add/Remove $5,050 $4,645 $5,007
Destination Charge $695 $695 $695
Total $40,545 $37,170 $40,071

Type: Compact Sedan
Where Built: Germany

Dimensions
Exterior
Length: 176 in. Width: 68.5 in.
Height: 55.7 in. Wheel Base: 107.3 in.
Curb Weight: 3285 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 38.4 in. Front Shoulder Room: 54.4 in.
Rear Head Room: 37.5 in. Rear Shoulder Room: 54.2 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.4 in. Rear Leg Room: 34.6 in.
Luggage Capacity: 10.7 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 11 cu. ft.
Maximum Seating: 5

Performance Data

Performance
Base Number of Cylinders: 6 Base Engine Size: 3 liters
Base Engine Type: Inline 6 Horsepower: 225 hp
Max Horsepower: 5900 rpm Torque: 214 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 3500 rpm Drive Type: RWD
Turning Circle: 34.4 ft.

Caddy CTS V
MSRP Invoice
Base Price for
Zip Code Change $49,300 $45,603 $49,300
Destination Charge $695 $695 $695
Total $49,995 $46,298 $49,995
Type: Midsize Sedan
Where Built: Lansing, MI

Dimensions
Exterior
Length: 194.5 in. Width: 70.6 in.
Height: 56.7 in. Wheel Base: 115.2 in.
Curb Weight: 3847 lbs.
Interior
Front Head Room: 38.9 in. Front Hip Room: 53.4 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 56.6 in. Rear Head Room: 36.9 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 56.2 in. Rear Hip Room: 53.8 in.
Front Leg Room: 42.4 in. Rear Leg Room: 36.2 in.
Luggage Capacity: 12.5 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

Performance Data

Performance
Base Number of Cylinders: 8 Base Engine Size: 5.7 liters
Base Engine Type: V8 Horsepower: 400 hp
Max Horsepower: 6000 rpm Torque: 395 ft-lbs.
Max Torque: 6000 rpm Drive Type: RWD

As you can see the CTS is MUCH LARGER. Caddy's biggest problem is that it lacks the yuppie cachet of a BMW. It's the same with Acura, when I bought my 2001 CL-S in Sept 2000 I paid $27.5K for a car that stickered for $30,800. Although I paid only slightly more than what a 160 hp BMW 325 would have cost I can tell you that most chicks or country club pinheads think that the CL-S isn't nearly as good as a 325 or a C230. When it comes to image, perception lags reality for a long time especially among people who have little more than a passing interest in the product. Just look at how long it took for people to realize that BMW's were just as good as Benzes. BMW cranked out better cars for decades, albeit without that prominent Benz grill, before people realized how good they were and their popularity caught on.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Also I wouldn't worry about the $50K price tag. Caddy's that sticker for ~ $50K often sell for $10K off. At $40K it would actually be less than a well equipped 330i or a c320.
I HIGHLY doubt there will be any major rebates on the CTS-V anytime soon.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:30 AM
Instructor

when I look at this Caddy's dashboard I see the shape of the CTS's rear - the air vents on the flanks look like the taillights.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:52 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by SpeedyV6

Well, I doubt 10K off but even if it sells for MSRP, that's much better than any competitor. The reason is because the ONLY option is the moonroof. We all know what happens when you try to option out a BMW or a Mercedes.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by cusdaddy
I HIGHLY doubt there will be any major rebates on the CTS-V anytime soon.
Me too. FOr the first 1.5 years the car will be selling at sticker or above sticker.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by ruski
when I look at this Caddy's dashboard I see the shape of the CTS's rear - the air vents on the flanks look like the taillights.

I hate the airvent design in the CTS. Hate it.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:05 AM
Moderator Alumnus

300HP Cadillac CTS at SEMA!

CTS SPORT TAKES CADILLAC'S SPORT SEDAN TO NEW LEVELS OF PERFORMANCE, APPEARANCE

Put simply, the Cadillac CTS Sport is a sportier version of the brands popular CTS sport sedan, both inside and out. Debuting at the 2003 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show in Las Vegas, the CTS Sport is positioned to fill the gap between the CTS and the high performance CTS-V Series.

Under the hood, the CTS Sport packs a centrifugal supercharged 3.6-liter VVT engine good for 300 horsepower 45 horses more than the regular production sports sedan. The engine is mated to a five-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission. The CTS Sport?s exhaust note is slightly more pronounced, thanks to its Corsa cat-back exhaust system and tips.

The CTS Sport also has a beefier suspension, with components borrowed from its big brother, the CTS-V, and 18-inch custom alloy wheels with P245/45R18 Goodyear Eagle RSA all-season tires. The four-wheel disc brakes have 12.7? cross-drilled and ventilated rotors. Exterior enhancements include a new body-color grille with a stainless steel backing, redesigned rocker panels, body-color rear appliqué and a subtle rear deck spoiler. The body-color trim elements give the CTS Sport a sleeker and sportier appearance.

Inside, the CTS Sport has more extensive use of leather and metal trim, right down to the aluminum foot pedals. All of the wood surfaces on the steering wheel, door pulls, and shift knob have been replaced with leather-wrappings. Metallic trim is used on the doors, steering wheel trim, and center console. The Bose Premium Concept Audio system embraces the high-performance spirit of the CTS Sport, enhancing the driving experience through the power and emotion of music. Two additional speaker locations custom-selected for the CTS Sport, for a total of 10, deliver clear, spacious sound throughout the vehicle.

CADILLAC CTS SPORT VEHICLE HIGHLIGHTS:

-Supercharged 3.6L VVT engine (300 horsepower)
-Corsa cat-back exhaust system and tips
-Five-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission -Enhanced suspension and braking
-V-Series suspension components
-18-inch alloy wheels with P245/45R18 Goodyear Eagle RSA all season tires
-Four-wheel disc brakes with cross-drilled and ventilated rotors
-Newly designed body-colored grille
-Redesigned rocker panels
-Body color rear appliqué
-Rear decklid spoiler
-Revised interior
-More extensive use of leather, with metallic trim
-Aluminum floor pedals
-Logod floor mats
-Bose 10 speaker Premium Concept Audio system
Old 10-30-2003, 09:06 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Now, although I do understand that currently there are no plans in mass producing the above, I would not be surprised if we saw the decision made after positive reaction at the SEMA Show. ANd if that happens, at this point Cadillac is my second favorite company, as far as, consequtive, positive, surprising news-pounding. After Nissan.

Another surprise by GM and that's only the beginning.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

AT :thumbsdn:
Old 10-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Zapata
AT :thumbsdn:
Yes AT not good, but one at a time. Wait. Let's see what happens with producing this or no first. I am sure GM has something up their sleeves. Maybe a sequential tranny? Who knows. For sure though, they wont leave this...so called...SPORT CTS with no SPORT tanny option. I am optimistic.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

gav,
welp it's exciting news nonetheless. Supercharged v6 w/ RWD is hot. If they add a MT option.....caddy just took a HUGE leap in my book!!! Perhaps they can become what Acura to-date hasn't......
Old 10-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Safety Car

thats very cool, the new grill and wheels do a lot for the car.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

very cool... Caddy is one of the most exciting car companies to watch lately
Old 10-30-2003, 03:00 PM

Hey, this is another great move for Caddy!

Quick Reply: Cadillac: CTS News **2018 V Revealed (page 46)**