Bob Lutz on the GM Global System

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006 | 08:09 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Bob Lutz on the GM Global System

GM Streamlining for Profit - - SOurce: The Car Connection

General Motors arguably "hasn't been the world's largest car company in 10 to 15 years," suggested the automaker's "car czar," Bob Lutz, during a Tuesday night dinner. "We were a conglomerate of four to five regional companies with relatively little to do with each other. No wonder Honda and Toyota have been cleaning our clocks." The tough-talking veteran said there may be a positive side to the threat of losing sales supremacy. It is a wake-up call for the GM team that it can no longer expect to win without putting up a real fight, Lutz said.

A number of steps are underway to improve the odds of a comeback, he added, starting with the switch to a global product development system this year. Among the goals, GM expects to halve the number of global architectures it now relies on for its varied vehicles. That could have saved $200 million just by having products like the Opel Signum and Malibu Maxx share more of their underlying components, said Lutz. The critical thing is to make sure that there is no badge engineering, he emphasized. The new GM system will reduce the number of prototypes it needs by 40 percent, said Lutz, saving up to $200,000 for each of the advanced vehicles. And GM expects the new development system to help it shave 20 percent in materials costs through the better use of economies of scale. Overall, GM is gunning for a 25-percent reduction in engineering costs and overall product development expenditures.

Under new global system, specific types of vehicles will be assigned to various regional development centers, no matter where the products will ultimately be marketed. Saturns, for example, will largely be developed in Europe, along with Opel vehicles, according to Lutz. Europe, he noted, does a better job on medium-size passenger cars than the U.S. Large trucks will be the purview of American engineers and designers. Small pickups will be handled by Brazil, while "very small cars" will go to Asia, primarily what used to be the Daewoo operation in South Korea. But Lutz stressed that while development might be focused in one country, "members of the team will look like the United Nations."

Old 03-01-2006 | 08:15 PM
Safety Car

Good stuff, actually. Though it's sad that GM is just now coming around to this (relatively speaking), better late than never.
Old 03-01-2006 | 08:19 PM
Team Owner

Finally...an intelligent idea coming out of that mess...
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Not convinced they're headed in the right-path.

IMO, sharing plaforms globally in hopes of cutting costs is the quick way to failure. And the 04-06 GTO is a perfect example of that.

I think that instead of thinking as a big umbrella company among all their brands, and trying to achieve economies of scale, their brands should operate more independently and take on their own goals... all while making sure however not to compete against a sister-brand.

But this kind of thinking is hard to achieve when you're the boss of the largest multinational automaker. I'm not surprised their plan is the complete opposite actually.
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 03 CL TypeS
IMO, sharing plaforms globally in hopes of cutting costs is the quick way to failure. And the 04-06 GTO is a perfect example of that.
I would say you are wrong. I'll point you to Nissan, Toyota, and VW as a few examples of companies doing the exact same thing.
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 03 CL TypeS
More of a rebrand than a platform share. If they had used the platform and drivetrain from the Monaro but done a unique body for it, it would have worked out much better.
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Speaking of GM, rumor has it that Wagoner is considering stepping down...

==========

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/...ng-leaving-gm/

The latest gossip around Detroit suggests Rick Wagoner may be getting ready to step down as CEO of General Motors, reports The Car Connection. Wagoner's legacy has not been a bad one, and that shows how far GM has fallen in the last year, the report says. While it's unclear if the new report is based in fact, it echos an AutoSpies story from early February that indicated Wagoner could leave the company in 30 days. As that deadline draws nearer, it's interesting that gossip is building in GM's hometown
Old 03-06-2006 | 02:59 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Speaking of GM, rumor has it that Wagoner is considering stepping down...

==========

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/03/...ng-leaving-gm/

The latest gossip around Detroit suggests Rick Wagoner may be getting ready to step down as CEO of General Motors, reports The Car Connection. Wagoner's legacy has not been a bad one, and that shows how far GM has fallen in the last year, the report says. While it's unclear if the new report is based in fact, it echos an AutoSpies story from early February that indicated Wagoner could leave the company in 30 days. As that deadline draws nearer, it's interesting that gossip is building in GM's hometown
Already a thread for this

https://acurazine.com/forums/automotive-news-6/wagoner-rumors-start-swirl-333649/
Old 03-06-2006 | 03:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Oh, oops...My bad.

Reposting is a sign that I'm getting old, you know.
Old 03-08-2006 | 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Maximized
I would say you are wrong. I'll point you to Nissan, Toyota, and VW as a few examples of companies doing the exact same thing.
I agree that in general, achieving economies of scale is a good thing, allowing you to cut costs.

But I believe that GM has become too big to be able to effectively manage themselves with such a strategy.

I believe there comes point when your company becomes so big that you start losing control over brand management (just look at the models coming out... they look nothing like their predecessors... as opposed to BMW/Mercedez-Benz whose styling cues allow you to easily distinguish and recognize their cars). Yes, BMW looks radically changed in the models coming out these days, but you can still tell, from far away, that a BMW is what you're looking at.

I think GM has reached that point that point of losing control.

And I think the reason why Nissan/Toyota and VW are successful with such a global strategy is due to better management, from corporate strategy, right down to the brand management of each model.

Just my , count it as a personal opinion, without having done further research to back up my claims!
Old 03-08-2006 | 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
More of a rebrand than a platform share. If they had used the platform and drivetrain from the Monaro but done a unique body for it, it would have worked out much better.
I agree 50%.

For one, looks is what killed the 04-06 GTO.

For another, the platform was not that ideal. It was a heavy, full-sized platform I believe. The Zeta (mid-size, rear-drive) would have been more appropriate IMO.

BTW, did the Zera get scrapped???