BMW: X5 News

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:24 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by nokiaman
^ Just like the Cayenne Turbo, you are right when you say it's a niche vehicle and you better believe there is quite a demand for it. And when you say a Beverly Hills mom, I doubt she would be the one really "behind" the purchase; in most cases it's the husband who wants a nice powerful SUV in the driveway, something better than a Sienna to hit Costco or a potent SUV to tow the track car on the weekends.
I hope that pun was unintended....

I agree with you all that its better than some minivan, though honestly I wouldn't mind a minivan because if she gets a minivan/SUV/whatever I sure as hell getting something that's the complete opposite just for me, sooner or later. I just have my gripes with SUVs.... they're even dangerous sitting still. I live on a semi-busy street and when someone has a party and an SUV parks by the curb I can't see oncoming traffic for crap.

and regardless of who makes the decision to go from an ML350 to an ML63, there still is usually some Beverly Hills mom behind the wheel, and as its been said, again, usually they can't handle it.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
I hope that pun was unintended.... .
It wasn't at all, I didn't realize at the time.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
2010 BMW X5 M: Priced from $85,400

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-x5-m.html

2010 BMW X5 M: Priced from $85,400

Earlier this month, BMW revealed its X5 M high-performance SUV after months of spy photos and teasers. The automaker on Friday announced a base price of $85,400 for the ‘ute, dispelling rumors of a six-figure price tag. Although full pricing details — such as options and packages — have not yet been disclosed, it’s clear BMW will significantly undercut the X5 M’s nearest rival, the Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG, which is $5,000 more expensive.

Prior to its New York Auto Show debut, BMW put the high-performance ‘ute through extreme durability testing in the southwestern part of the United States, taking advantage of the hot temperatures, miles of desert roadways and mountains with steep grades.
Slightly more conventional than its X6 M sibling, the M offers the same utility as the regular X5, with the addition of a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 delivering 555 horsepower at 5,750 rpm and peak torque is 501 pound-feet, available between 1,500 and 5,650 rpm. The crossover can sprint from a standstill to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds, according to the automaker.
The X6 M and X5 M are the first xDrive all-wheel-drive vehicles from BMW to sport the “M” badge. Coupled with special “M” air suspension featuring Adaptive Drive and the newly developed Servotronic power steering, the performance ‘ute promises very competent handling. Other high-tech features include launch control for maximum acceleration and an “M” six-speed automatic optimized for performance. Drivers can manually select gears using either paddles or an an electronic gear selector lever.
Electronically controlled, variable power distribution to the front and rear axle prevents even the slightest tendency to over- or understeer right from the start, before DSC Dynamic Stability Control is even required to cut in.
BMW is referring to the new 4.4-liter motor as its “M TwinPower Turbo” unit. The name reflects the fact that the motor features Twin Scroll Twin Turbo Technology and a common exhaust manifold encompassing both rows of cylinders.
Although traction control is standard, the M Dynamic Mode (MDM) greatly reduces the aggressiveness of the system. The MDM setting allows the driver to enter a controlled drift and push the vehicle’s handling to the limit. There’s also a DSC-Off Mode for drivers seeking a more purist experience.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
2010 BMW X5 M Full Test and Video by Insideline <hr style="color: rgb(244, 244, 244); background-color: rgb(244, 244, 244);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message -->
Because They Can

What Works:
Phenomenal propulsion; tenacious grip; stealthy appearance; supple ride quality. Everything!

What Needs Work:
Physics textbooks will need to be rewritten.

Bottom Line:
We thought Porsche had written the final word on high-performance sport-utility vehicles. We were so wrong.

Stats...
0-60: 4.5s
0-60 w/ rollout: 4.2s
1/4 mile: 12.8s @ 108.5mph
60-0: 116ft
Slalom: 63.5mph
Skidpad: 0.91g

(Track test video HERE: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...deoId=20310560)

After driving the 2010 BMW X5 M, there were numerous subtitles for this story bouncing around in our head. Because it was only a handful of years ago, when BMW introduced the 2004 X5 4.8is, that it said, "There will never be an M version of the X5," we were tempted to write, "Never Say Never."

One blast down the drag strip in this 555-horsepower breadbox in Monte Carlo Blue had us shouting, "12-second SUV!" If we believed the rumor (and we don't) that one of the primary reasons for the X5 M's existence is to satisfy the conspicuously well-funded market among the mobsters in Russia, then we could've run with "From Russia With Love."

Finally, one serene drive home on L.A.'s notoriously poorly constructed freeways where we discovered this X5 M's ride was far better than that of our long-term 2008 BMW X5 4.8i almost compelled us to put down, "Dr. Jekyll and Mrs. Hyde."

A New M
It's not an accident that the newly M-bedazzled X5 has the ability to be both a remarkable performance machine and a completely livable grocery getter. If you had no knowledge of the record-breaking performance potential contained within the X5 M, you'd never know it had a dual personality.

Dr. Kay Segler, who recently took on the role of president of BMW M GmbH, said recently during the 2009 Frankfurt Auto Show that for a BMW vehicle to be an M, "It must be able to be two vehicles in one — on one hand a pure sporting machine with the highest levels of performance, and on the other, like any BMW it can be used for every daily need with the same comfort and capability of any vehicle in the range."

Pferdestärke War
While our domestic automakers are busy pummeling one another with muscle cars, the Germans seem to have a fascination with overpowered SUVs, and who are we to complain? What's not to like about a twin-turbo V8 propelling a 2.5-ton vehicle to feats it never ought to reach?

That's why the X5 M is so damned mesmerizing. It shouldn't be able to do the things it clearly does, and it shouldn't be this easy to drive at the same time. It simply shouldn't exist at all. In fact, unless you spot the M badge, subtle fender flares and intercoolers in the front bumper, you'd never suspect this was anything more than an ordinary X5 with factory 20-inch wheels. We love that.

So when the VBox reported a 5.1-second time to 60 mph and quarter-mile effort of 13.2 seconds at 107.7 mph (before we'd even had a chance to optimize our launch protocol), we knew the X5 M wasn't just a rule breaker, but also a record breaker.

Let's Light This Candle Already
Pressing the M button on the steering wheel (assuming you've already programmed your M-menu for total annihilation) and manually selecting 1st gear enables launch mode. Then pressing the brake pedal as hard as is humanly possible while introducing the back of the throttle pedal to the floor will raise the engine rpm, and a checkered flag appears on the instrument cluster. This is when things go a little blurry.

The checkered flag illuminates just as the vehicle begins to creep forward a fraction of an inch because the giant disc brakes can barely hold back the 501 pound-feet of torque generated by the two twin-scroll turbochargers force-feeding the direct-injected 4.4-liter V8. At this very moment, the X5 M's driveline is literally trying to twist itself to pieces.

Releasing the reins at this point causes the X5 M to nearly wad up four 10-inch-wide pieces of pavement beneath its tire contact patches. The all-wheel-drive X5 M literally leaps off the line and shifts up (and belches, actually) exactly twice at the 7,000-rpm redline before reaching 60 mph in 4.5 seconds (4.2 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and then once more before it crosses the finish line in the quarter-mile at 12.8 seconds at 108.5 mph. Holy smokes, that's a new record.

There was a time, not long ago, when people like us were swooning over an 8.0-liter V10 Dodge Viper running in the 12s, but an SUV? You've got to be kidding.

Rivals
It's no accident that the 2010 BMW X5 M produces exactly 5 hp more than the 2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, 52 hp more than a Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG and 135 hp more than a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 . Depending on which stats you choose for bench racing, the ML63 and Cayenne Turbo S collectively share the title of fastest/quickest SUV on the planet.

But that's over now. Unless Koenigsegg starts building 1,000-hp SUVs (and it could happen), you've got a new record-holder now, because the X5 M is the world's quickest and fastest SUV.

So What?
We've heard those who say that owning the fastest SUV is like being the skinniest contestant on TV's Biggest Loser. For the record, we think that's a terrible thing to say, and not at all fair to the X5 M.

The brilliant part is that the $86,225 X5 M is $40,000 less expensive than a $125,775 Cayenne Turbo S. True, a properly kitted (and even more expensive) Cayenne with variable ride height, skid plates, low-range gearing and decoupling antiroll bars would be able to leave the pavement-bound X5 M at the trailhead, but, really, who would ever take a Cayenne Turbo off-road — besides us ?

Still Not a Convert?
But drag strip performance only accounts for a fraction of why the X5 M is so remarkable. BMW has developed a new power-steering system for the X5 M with variable mapping that adapts effectively to both sporting occasions and parking lots. Unlike typical heavy-effort BMW steering (which appears to be on the road to extinction), the X5 M delivers unfettered feel and precision without syrupy heft and resistance.

Like the steering, the computer-controlled suspension (self-leveling in the rear) goes about its business largely unnoticed — that is, until you notice that the X5 M is not beating your internal organs to a foamy froth. Working in concert with several systems, the X5 M's multimode dampers and active antiroll bars react to changing road conditions thanks to a new high-speed FlexRay data transmission protocol, first used fully on the 2008 BMW 7 Series. In other words, the X5 M can humiliate most sports cars on a canyon road, grip our skid pad with 0.91g and keep a case of champagne from erupting in the cargo bay. That's a neat trick, especially considering the tires it wears are run-flats with short sidewalls pumped up to 38 psi.

Luckily, the X5 M's tires and brakes are as monstrously sized as its appetite for premium fuel (we validated the EPA's 14 mpg combined figure). Up front, the tires are 10.8 inches wide and the brake discs are 15.6 inches in diameter and clamped by four-piston fixed calipers. In the rear, the tires are 12.4 inches wide with 15.2-inch discs and two-piston sliding calipers. Stopping from 60 mph requires just 116 feet, which is, again, remarkable considering our vehicle's 5,332-pound as-tested weight.

With a large frontal area of 11.7 square feet and an untidy 0.38 drag coefficient, the X5 M didn't really surprise us in the slalom when its air turbulence actually blew the cones over. We were a little more surprised that its stability control system can't be disengaged, and the combination of so much speed and so much weight really gave the system's algorithms a workout. The best we could manage while keeping cones in their painted boxes was 63.5 mph. There were a couple unofficial 65-mph runs, but the cones wouldn't stay put.

Cool Stuff
The long list of standard features on the X5 M is nearly as long as the options list on a Cayenne Turbo S, notably: iDrive (the new one), navigation system, bi-xenon adaptive headlights, panoramic sunroof, 16-speaker premium audio and premium leather, among others.

Unlike with a Porsche, even the few options on our X5 M seemed reasonably priced. We appreciate that a compact spare tire ($150) is even available because run-flats usually mean a can of goo and set of rosary beads are all you have to get you to a BMW service center.

For $600 you may opt for the Cold Weather package that includes a heated steering wheel, heated rear seats and a ski bag. The Driver Assistance package contains automatic high-beams, head-up windshield display and rearview camera plus several top-view cameras for $1,800. BMW's Comfort Access keyless entry/starting system is $1,000 as it is on all BMW vehicles. Finally, those black roof rails will run you $100 and the grand total for our X5 M was $89,875, or $2,050 under the base MSRP of a Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG.

The Complete Package
It's hard to imagine a more complete high-performance SUV package than the 2010 BMW X5 M. It set new records at the drag strip. It's as easy to drive as any normal X5, and steers and rides better than any previous example. Its 14 mpg average certainly will not earn you a medal for fuel efficiency, but it is the best figure in its immediate peer group. And while $86,000 is unquestionably a large sum of money, that price is at the very least "fair" when it's compared to those of its rivals — especially when you line up standard and optional equipment.

And if the X5 M is an example of what we can expect from Herr Dr. Segler and his cohorts, we can't wait to see the 2011 BMW M5 with the same twin-turbo V8. It's bound to be at least 1,000 pounds lighter, is said to be making close to 600 hp (possibly the result of a Formula One-derived KERS system and driven through a new eight-speed double-clutch automated manual transmission.

Why have they decided to make such a vehicle? Because they can.

http://www.insideline.com/bmw/x5-m/2...and-video.html

Old 10-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is one HOT crossover
Old 10-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
^ I really like it! Although I'd have a tough choice deciding between this and the Cayenne Turbo.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Love
Old 10-12-2009, 12:40 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Old 10-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
sick...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:31 AM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 10-13-2009, 11:11 AM
To punish and enslave

Fuck the Cayenne, this is hot!
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
I was pass by a silver/blue X5M this morning. I didn't realize they were on the roads yet. It had dealer plates, came up quick behind me and then passed my on the right side before taking an exit. I tried to get a cell phone shot, but couldn't get it out in time...

I thought it looked really nice in person. I think I would prefer a darker color. Very aggressive up front...

I got a good look when it was right next to me and damn, those brakes are huge. The rotors looked like the size of the wheels on my TSX...
Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

Yeah, this car is WAY better looking than the X6/M
Old 10-27-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianRage
Yeah, this car is WAY better looking than the X6/M
Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I hate that shift lever with a passion, but I love the rest of that truck. Definitely the best SUV on the market.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 PM
7th Gear

that thing is fast
Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by savage
I was pass by a silver/blue X5M this morning. I didn't realize they were on the roads yet. It had dealer plates, came up quick behind me and then passed my on the right side before taking an exit. I tried to get a cell phone shot, but couldn't get it out in time...

I thought it looked really nice in person. I think I would prefer a darker color. Very aggressive up front...

I got a good look when it was right next to me and damn, those brakes are huge. The rotors looked like the size of the wheels on my TSX...
Not far off. 15.6" up front and 15.2" in the rear.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,652 Likes on 13,891 Posts
2010 BMW X5 M Sports Package

Press release...

The new BMW X5 – set for launch in spring 2010 – now cuts an even more commanding figure with new, even more powerful engines and an extended selection of innovative driver assistance systems. All of which takes the characteristic driving pleasure of the Sports Activity Vehicle into a new dimension. This latest boost to its dynamic capability can be highlighted particularly vividly by the addition of the also new M Sports package, available for the new X5 from launch. A top-quality and perfectly judged combination of exterior, interior and chassis components gives you everything you need to experience the enhanced sports performance of the BMW X5 with even greater intensity – and to showcase it in suitable style.

All the components of the M Sports package for the new BMW X5 have been designed specifically for the Sports Activity Vehicle and are geared precisely to its outstanding dynamic potential. A high-speed setting and the sporty chassis set-up emphasize the high levels of driver involvement offered by the X5, as do the 19-inch M light-alloy wheels in V-spoke design. Available as an option are 20-inch M light-alloy wheels, whose bi-colour double-spoke design and high-sheen spokes lend a particularly exclusive touch. In both cases, the wheels come with mixed tyres at the front and rear, chosen specially for the X5.

The M Sports package also includes special tailpipes for the exhaust system. On the six-cylinder variants, they share the trapezoidal shape standard on the BMW X5 xDrive50i. Available for the new BMW X5 exclusively in conjunction with the M Sports package is the exterior paint shade Carbon Black metallic, which joins five other colour shades in the range.

The M Aerodynamic package and M door sills combine with the BMW Individual Exterior Line side window frames in satin-finish aluminium and the BMW Individual roof rails in satin-finish chrome to create an unmistakable look. The designers took into account the position of the sensors and cameras used by the driver assistance systems when shaping the aerodynamically optimised front and rear aprons. This means that both Park Distance Control and the Side View system – making its debut on the BMW X5 – can be combined with the M Sport package.

Electrically adjustable sports seats for the driver and front passenger, the M leather steering wheel and the M driver’s footrest maximise the driving experience inside the new BMW X5. Brushed aluminium interior trim elements and a BMW Individual roof liner in anthracite add the finishing touches to the sporting ambience.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 12-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Have a look at the more exposed 2014 X5 (F15) prototype which has dropped some major camouflage to reveal much more of its styling and design.

FRONT FASCIA / LIGHTS

We can now clearly see the front bumper design, with its integrated air curtain vents. Also clearly visible now are the tail lights and headlight designs, which connect to the kidney grilles as we reported before and feature squared-off angel eye rings. The grilles are larger, wider, and have a thicker surround than those on the current X5. It retains the 7 slat design.

The hoodline has been moved to above the kidney grilles, but conform to the grilles and headlight shapes, instead of the higher (and more unattractive) hoodlines seen on newer BMW models such as the 3, 5, and 7 Series.

FENDER AIR VENT

For the first time, we can see a gap in the front fender camouflage for a front fender air vent, in the same position as the 'boomerang' vent seen on the 4 Series Coupe Concept. This may be an indication that a front fender vent will become a signature design on all (or most) future BMW models.

The F15 X5 may debut several new BMW technologies such as a pedestrian airbag and thea iDrive Touch Controller System.

The new X5 is expected to weigh less than the current X5 and ride on a modified version of the F10 5 series chassis. Expect both diesel and gasoline 6-cylinder and 8-cylinder engine options.

It should be introduced in late 2013 to early 2014 as a 2014 model year and continue being produced in BMW's Spartanburg, South Carolina plant.

The next X5 M model has also begun its testing - (first spy photos).

* Click on images for high resolution versions *

Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
The F15 doesn't appear to be a huge departure from the E70.....which is a good thing.

I really need to catch up on my automotive reading. I'd never heard of a pedestrian airbag until now.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:22 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts

Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Senior Moderator

US BMW dealers are receiving order guides for the upcoming 2014 BMW X5 (F15), along with a special order form to order their first demo cars. The order guides reveal the lines, options and packages that will be available on the F15 X5.

Images of the production model were already leaked last month (copied below) and it showed the latest in BMW styling and design elements, including headlights which connect to the kidney grilles, air curtain technology in the bumper and functional front fender vents. Other technologies expected to debut on the F15 X5 include a pedestrian airbag system and the iDrive Touch Controller System.

The new X5 is expected to weigh less than the current X5 and ride on a modified version of the F10 5 series chassis and continue being produced in BMW's Spartanburg, South Carolina plant.

Production starts this summer, so expect the new X5 to bow at either the Geneva show next week or the NY auto show in late March. We will print pricing information as soon as it becomes available.

The ordering guide shows that colors, trims, leather, and wheels options (and options/packages) that will be available. Also seen is the introduction of different "Lines" for the X5 - the "Luxury Line" and the "xLine".

And here is the special order sheet that dealers have received to order their demo cars (1 for each dealer).

Old 05-30-2013, 03:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,968 Likes on 5,137 Posts
ugh. what the hell man. headlights look cool. the front end is tolerable and interesting. the rest looks drabbed down to boring as hell. it lost its soul.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:10 AM
Senior Moderator

so disappointing. I actually liked the current generation X5 quite much - this new one has lost all its curves!
Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 AM
Senior Moderator

I wouldn't proclaim its soul lost until experiencing some drive time.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:20 AM
Senior Moderator

only talking about looks.

driving experience is something else.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:53 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Recent new BMW models have been getting worse when it comes to the driving experience. The steering feel of new Bimmers have been an issue lately. The new 3 series for instance is no longer the best driver's car in its class as it's been surpassed by the new IS and CTS. Not sure if the new X5 is following that trend or not....
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Senior Moderator

you bring up a good point.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

I've not tried the F30 yet but the E90 has given me the best driving experince of any car under $45k. (I've only driven the 330i and 335i versions.) Clearly they set the bar pretty high IMHO. So, BMW could be a victim of its own success here.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks very pig-ish. No thanks.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by F23A4
I've not tried the F30 yet but the E90 has given me the best driving experince of any car under $45k. (I've only driven the 330i and 335i versions.) Clearly they set the bar pretty high IMHO. So, BMW could be a victim of its own success here.
The steering on the F30 feels very "Lexus, Infiniti, Acura" like.
When I've driven the F30's, the steering reminds me of an Asian lux or near lux make.

It's not the typical BMW "tight" steering that requires more "strength" to turn the wheel....if you will. That connected feel is lost on the F30.

Granted in Sport mode the F30 does tighten up a bit, but it never gets near the E90 direct connection to the road steering feel. The F30 is off the mark.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:01 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Old 05-30-2013, 05:34 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I like the exterior of the current X5 more......

F23A4 you might want to check out the tests on the F30....it's still a very good car. Most of the comparison tests still rank it as the best overall car in the class actually. But driving feel is definitely not an area the F30 excels at. It's the best because of it does well objectively (ie. 0-60mph, 1/4 mile, skidpad, slalom, features, mpg, etc). It's also because the other competitors, despite having better driving feel, have other flaws that are vital in this class. For instance, IS250 is way slower than a 328i. ATS 2.0T is slower than a 328i, its powertrain is not as smooth, and its shifter is not as good. If Infiniti can get the Q50 right, it will be interesting to see if it will topple the 3 series.

Last edited by iforyou; 05-30-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I like the exterior of the current X5 more......

F23A4 you might want to check out the tests on the F30....it's still a very good car. Most of the comparison tests still rank it as the best overall car in the class actually. But driving feel is definitely not an area the F30 excels at. It's the best because of it does well objectively (ie. 0-60mph, 1/4 mile, skidpad, slalom, features, mpg, etc). It's also because the other competitors, despite having better driving feel, have other flaws that are vital in this class. For instance, IS250 is way slower than a 328i. ATS 2.0T is slower than a 328i, its powertrain is not as smooth, and its shifter is not as good. If Infiniti can get the Q50 right, it will be interesting to see if it will topple the 3 series.
Have you priced a 328i lately? Fully loaded, it's more than a loaded ATS 3.6 and I'll bet it'll be more than the new IS 350. And the new IS has already beaten F30 in a comparison test. BMW is starting to price themselves out of the market.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Old 05-31-2013, 10:01 AM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 641 Likes on 395 Posts
Not sold on the new X5 exterior. It looks like a chunky X3 (and I like the X3).

The old X5 had better proportions, this one seems have to have ballooned in order to become a 7-seater. I think Audi did a better job with the Q7 in designing a longer SUV that still looks sporty and cohesive.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:23 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by alex2364
Have you priced a 328i lately? Fully loaded, it's more than a loaded ATS 3.6 and I'll bet it'll be more than the new IS 350. And the new IS has already beaten F30 in a comparison test. BMW is starting to price themselves out of the market.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
Yea I have seen a few comparison tests where a fully loaded 328i is over $50k...lol A fully loaded 328i is extremely well equipped though.
A decently loaded one can be had for $45k-$50k.

I've seen that C/D review where the IS350 got a very narrow win with a 1 point advantage (208 vs 207). That's another comparison test where the new 3 series loses out on feel and fun to drive factor.

Despite it being so expensive, it's still the best selling in the segment....
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Press release...

Third generation of the BMW X5; founder of the Sports Activity Vehicle segment and global market leader in its class sets new standards in powerful design, luxurious spaciousness, cutting-edge versatility and efficient driving pleasure.
Characteristic, evolutionary development of body design from the predecessor model; powerful, alert front-end look, with twin circular headlight units extending into the BMW kidney grille; elegantly stretched silhouette; eye-catching swage line over the athletically moulded wheel arches; horizontal lines and taut surfaces at the rear; features optimising the car’s aerodynamic properties integrated harmoniously into its overall design language, including Air Curtains, Air Breathers and Aero Blades for the rear window.
New scope for individualisation: owners can specify new Design Pure Experience and Design Pure Excellence design worlds and M Sport package; exterior and interior features can be ordered in almost any combination.
Increased spaciousness, clarity and luxurious ambience in the interior; raised seating position; low-set instrument panel with horizontal lines extending into the door trim and additional trim surface; enhanced interior variability thanks to 40 : 20 : 40 split/folding rear seat backrest; boot capacity: 650 – 1,870 litres; automatic tailgate operation as standard; tailgate can now also be opened and closed by remote control and from the driver’s seat; rear comfort seats and an additional third row of seats are both available as options.
Three engine variants at launch: BMW X5 xDrive50i with a new generation of the V8 petrol engine (330 kW/450 hp), BMW X5 xDrive30d with revised six-cylinder in-line diesel unit (190 kW/258 hp) and the BMW X5 M50d M Performance Automobile with tri-turbo six-cylinder in-line diesel (280 kW/381 hp). In December 2013 the BMW X5 xDrive40d, BMW X5 xDrive35i, BMW X5 xDrive25d and BMW X5 sDrive25d (with CO2 emissions of just 149 g/km) will be added to the range.
Commitment to reducing fuel consumption and emissions through weight minimisation, optimised air guidance, engine technology and the standard-fitted – and extremely efficient – eight-speed automatic gearbox with additional BMW EfficientDynamics technology; Auto Start Stop function, ECO PRO mode including coasting function and Proactive Driving Assistant also offered; all models already have the EU6 rating.
Driving Experience Control switch fitted as standard; Comfort, Dynamic and Professional adaptive suspension packages and Adaptive M suspension can be specified to enhance the car’s sporty handling properties and ride comfort; Electric Power Steering for all model variants; Active Steering optional.
Standard BMW xDrive all-wheel-drive system (excl. BMW X5 sDrive25d), also available with Dynamic Performance Control as part of the Dynamic and Professional adaptive suspension packages; xDrive status display makes its debut.
More innovations in the BMW ConnectedDrive range: BMW Head-Up Display with full spectrum of colours and new display content; BMW Night Vision with human and animal detection and Dynamic Light Spot, Lane Change Warning, Speed Limit Info, new BMW Parking Assistant with longitudinal and lateral guidance*, Surround View with 360-degree display, Driving Assistant including Lane Departure Warning, plus Collision Warning and Pedestrian Warning with braking function; Driving Assistant Plus additionally with Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function including braking to a standstill, Traffic Jam Assistant with active speed and steering angle control without driver input*; extensive range of mobility and internet-based services such as Concierge Services, Remote Services, Intelligent Emergency Call, Real Time Traffic Information, internet access, in-car use of Facebook and Twitter, dictation function with full speech recognition for emails, SMS and memos, online entertainment.
*planned availability: December 2013
Cutting-edge equipment options: freestanding, up to 10.25-inch Control Display for standard-fitted iDrive operating system; Touch Controller with touch-sensitive surface available with optional navigation system; high-quality materials; extended storage areas; Bang & Olufsen High End Surround Sound System, comfort seats in the rear and new rear-seat entertainment system with two displays all available as options.
Engine variants:

BMW X5 xDrive50i: V8 petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology (two turbochargers, direct injection, VALVETRONIC),
Capacity: 4,395 cc, output: 330 kW/450 hp at 5,500 rpm,
max. torque: 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) at 2,000 – 4,500 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 5.0 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph).
Average fuel consumption according to EU standard:
10.4 – 10.5 litres/100 kilometres (27.2 – 26.9 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions according to EU standard: 242 – 244 g/km (figures depend on the tyre format specified), exhaust standard: EU6.
BMW X5 xDrive30d: Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine with
BMW TwinPower Turbo technology (turbocharger with variable inlet geometry, common rail direct injection),
Capacity: 2,993 cc, output: 190 kW/258 hp at 4,000 rpm, max. torque: 560 Nm (413 lb-ft) at 1,500 – 3,000 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 6.9 seconds,
top speed: 230 km/h (143 mph).
Average fuel consumption according to EU standard: 6.2 litres/100 kilometres (45.6 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions according to EU standard: 162 – 164 g/km (figures depend on the tyre format specified), exhaust standard: EU6.
BMW X5 M50d: Six-cylinder in-line diesel engine with M Performance TwinPower Turbo technology (three turbochargers, high-pressure, with variable turbine geometry), common rail direct injection with piezo injectors, maximum injection pressure 2,200 bar).
Capacity: 2,993 cc, output: 280 kW/381 hp at 4,000 – 4,400 rpm,
max. torque: 740 Nm (546 lb-ft) at 2,000 – 3,000 rpm.
Acceleration [0 – 100 km/h (62 mph)]: 5.3 seconds,
top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph).
Average fuel consumption according to EU standard: 6.7 litres/100 kilometres (42.2 mpg imp),
CO2 emissions according to EU standard: 177 g/km, exhaust standard: EU6.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Old 08-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Post 2013 BMW Concept X5 eDrive

Press release...

The new BMW X5 raises efficiency to another new level in the world of the luxurious Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV). BMW is using the 2013 Frankfurt International Motor Show (IAA) to present the logical next step towards landmark efficiency in the SAV segment. The BMW Concept X5 eDrive combines the brand of driving pleasure for which the xDrive intelligent all-wheel-drive system is renowned and a luxurious ambience within the variable-use interior with a plug-in hybrid drive concept. Its innovative BMW eDrive technology guarantees the hallmark sporting ability of a BMW, while at the same time opening the door to speeds of up to 120 km/h (75 mph), a maximum range of 30 kilometres (19 miles) on electric power alone and average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of 3.8 litres per 100 kilometres (74.3 mpg imp).

The concept study’s BMW eDrive system consists of a four-cylinder combustion engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and an electric motor which is also the work of the BMW Group. The 70 kW/95 hp motor sources its energy from a high-voltage lithium-ion battery. It can be charged from any domestic power socket and has sufficient capacity to enable the car to travel up to 30 kilometres (19 miles) solely on electric power, generating zero local emissions in the process. The high-voltage battery developed for the BMW Concept X5 eDrive is mounted in a particularly crash-safe position underneath the load area, whose capacity remains virtually unchanged as a result. There is a choice of three driving modes, depending on requirements and situation – the intelligent hybrid drive option for an optimum balance between sportiness and efficiency; pure electric and therefore emission-free driving; or Save Battery mode to maintain the current battery charge.

The groundbreaking character of the BMW Concept X5 eDrive is highlighted by understated but precisely arranged design accents. For example, the kidney grille slats, air intake bars and the inlay in the rear bumper – all in the BMW i Blue colour developed for the BMW i brand – present an appealing contrast to the Silverflake metallic exterior paintwork. The BMW Concept X5 eDrive also comes with specially designed roof rails, a connector for the charging cable that lights up during charging, and 21-inch light-alloy wheels in an exclusive, aerodynamically optimised design.

BMW eDrive in a Sports Activity Vehicle: intelligent hybrid technology delivers outstanding efficiency and characteristic driving pleasure.

Electrification of the powertrain allows BMW to unlock impressive potential for reducing fuel consumption and emissions. The BMW eDrive technology developed by the BMW Group to this end comes in various forms, each tailored precisely to the vehicle concept at hand. The BMW Group’s first purely electrically powered vehicle to go into series production – the BMW i3 – celebrates its world premiere at the IAA 2013. And taking to the stage alongside the i3 will be the BMW Concept X5 eDrive, which follows in the tyre tracks of the BMW Concept Active Tourer unveiled in 2012 as the second plug-in hybrid vehicle to feature BMW eDrive.

BMW eDrive technology hooks up with the intelligent all-wheel-drive system BMW xDrive for the first time in the BMW Concept X5 eDrive. The new study vehicle offers superior driving characteristics underpinned by the electronically controlled and fully variable distribution of drive between its front and rear wheels. Regardless of the driving mode selected, the power generated by the electric motor, combustion engine or the two units together is channelled quickly and precisely to the wheels where it can be converted most effectively into propulsion. This allows the BMW Concept X5 eDrive to demonstrate the typical qualities of an SAV – assured traction and optimised stability in all weather and road conditions, coupled with increased agility through dynamically taken corners – in outstandingly efficient fashion. The versatile and sporty driving attributes of the BMW Concept X5 eDrive are complemented by average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of 3.8 litres per 100 kilometres (74.3 mpg imp) and CO2 emissions of under 90 grams per kilometre.

The electric motor in the BMW Concept X5 eDrive generates maximum output of 70 kW/95 hp and – thanks to impressive torque available from the word go – demonstrates the instantaneous power delivery that has become a hallmark of electric drive systems. All of which elevates driving pleasure and efficiency to another level. The synchronous electric motor developed by the BMW Group also maintains a steady flow of power into the upper reaches of its load range and keeps weight low. The motor alone can propel the BMW Concept X5 eDrive to a top speed of 120 km/h (75 mph). As part of the boost function, it can also be used to give the combustion engine a noticeable hit of extra energy during acceleration and during dynamic mid-range sprints. The BMW Concept X5 eDrive can complete the sprint from rest to 100 km/h (62 mph) in under 7.0 seconds.

ECO PRO mode and all-electric driving: efficiency on demand.

Like members of the current series-produced BMW line-up, the BMW Concept X5 eDrive also offers ECO PRO mode, which is activated using the Driving Experience Control switch and encourages a particularly efficient driving style. This default mode is engaged when the car is started and offers intelligent hybrid functionality, whereby the energy management system tailors the interplay of combustion engine and electric drive system to most efficient effect. Drivers can also enjoy the services of the hybrid-specific Proactive Driving Assistant, which teams up with the navigation system to incorporate factors such as route profile, speed restrictions and the traffic situation into the driving mode selection.

Drivers can also switch to the all-electric driving mode. With the battery fully charged, the car can cover up to 30 kilometres (19 miles) on electric power alone and therefore with zero local emissions. Another option is the Save Battery mode, which allows the battery’s energy capacity to be maintained – for example, if the driver wants to cover the final stretch of a longer journey through town on purely electric power.

Everyday usability: flexible charging scenarios and viability.

In order to allow the extra efficiency of its electric powertrain to be utilised as widely as possible, the BMW Concept X5 eDrive is designed as a plug-in hybrid vehicle. Its high-voltage battery can be recharged from any domestic power socket, a Wallbox designed to offer stronger currents or a public charging station. The impressive degree of flexibility drivers can look forward to when choosing a charging point is enhanced by the charging cable stored in the load area below the flat storage compartment. The battery unit is located a level lower still, which means the car’s overall load-carrying capacity is only slightly reduced. The boot offers space for two large suitcases or four 46-inch golf bags, and the SAV’s high level of variability – thanks in part to its 40 : 20 : 40 split/folding rear seat backrest – is retained, as are the generous levels of space and comfort over long journeys that it offers in all five seats.

Intelligent connectivity for greater efficiency.

Innovative functions from BMW ConnectedDrive help drivers to maximise the number of journeys they complete on electric power alone. For example, in the BMW Concept X5 eDrive, the electric range available is shown as a numerical value. The car’s dynamic range display uses intelligent connectivity to keep a constant eye on all the factors affecting range, such as traffic conditions, route profile and driving style.

When the route guidance function is activated, the location of public charging stations is added to the points of interest shown on the navigation map. Drivers can call up stations located along their route or at their destination, and the system also tells them how much charging time is required to fully top up the battery once again.

All information concerning battery charge and electric range can also be viewed on the driver’s Smartphone. A Remote app from BMW ConnectedDrive developed specially to meet the requirements of electric mobility enables owners to control the charging process from their phone. It also allows the vehicle to be pre-programmed while it is connected to an electricity source. For example, the heating and climate control system can be activated remotely to ensure a pleasant temperature inside the car before the driver sets off.

Quick Reply: BMW: X5 News